PDA

View Full Version : Another which Pack thread

stuco
02-02-2007, 14:41
Ok I know you guys have seen this a million times but I'm trying to decide between the following packs and if you have experience with any of them please let me know. I can't try them all on so please don't suggest that.
thanks
approx:
1. Golite Jam2 $100 21oz
2. Gossamer Gear G4 $100 17oz
3. Gossamer Gear Mariposa $130 18oz
4. Six Moon Designs Starlite $190 30oz

Any more suggestions similar to these would be appreciated as well as opinions on these.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-02-2007, 14:55
I just got my wife a Six Moon Starlite and it looks good so far. I used a 3/4 length ridgerest for the frame and it gave the pack alot of support. My wifes base weight will be 15 Lbs or so, plus food and water. It wears well and will carry more than she needs.

I personally use the ULA P2, which I consider the best AT pack made, however it is not made anymore and the New Model is more pack than she needs.

I also considered the same packs as you and choose the starlite because of weight, Hip POCKETS, good outside mesh pockets and an adjustable torso length so I was sure it would fit well. Its a good pack for the money.

I also own the Gossamer G4 and have found that it would make my shoulders sore after about 10 miles with 25 Lbs in it. At 20 Lbs or less, it was fine. The Starlite is good up to 35 LBs,so 25 to 30 should be ok with it.

PS: The new Starlite is 25 Oz and you dont need the frame ( which adds 4 oz ). Reply back and let me know the support pad you will use as thats very important. The inflatable ones dont give nearly the support as a Z Rest or 3/4 length Ridgerest type.

Good Luck

rswanson
02-02-2007, 15:05
I've tried both the G4 and the Mariposa. I'd choose the Mariposa as I like that pack's top closure better and the optional stays are nice. I think it carries moderate-heavy loads better than the G4. If you can wait until March, Gossamer Gear is coming out with an updated Mariposa Plus (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Mariposa-Plus.html), which is the essentially the same as the Mariposa but with more durable fabric and a bit cheaper.

stuco
02-02-2007, 15:16

PS: The new Starlite is 25 Oz and you dont need the frame ( which adds 4 oz ). Reply back and let me know the support pad you will use as thats very important. The inflatable ones dont give nearly the support as a Z Rest or 3/4 length Ridgerest type.

Good Luck

I will be using the thermarest z-lite 3/4 pad for support. How much weight do you think is the max without the stays? I ordered an 06' closeout starlite for $50 and it turns out they were actually out so I'm very unhappy about having to shell out an extra $115 for the new starlite even though that seems to me to be the one for me. Not to mention the $25 extra for pockets and stays.

bigcranky
02-02-2007, 16:06
I have a Starlite, and use it with my Thermarest. I find that it needs the stays for comfortable carry. If I used a z-rest or something similar, I could probably get away w/o them. But of the packs listed in the original post, I've tried them all and liked the Starlite best. (Okay, I tried the Jam, not the Jam2.) Mine is just over two years old and still going very strong.

stuco
02-02-2007, 16:20
Anybody like the Six Moon Designs Comet?

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-02-2007, 17:25
The comet doesnt have the HIP POCKETS !! I love these things :) It is also a bit smaller than the starlite.

If you use the Z Rest 3/4 you will be fine up to 35 Lbs per backpackinglight.com

Here is a quote from their review of the Starlite:

The Starlite is a standout with the highest comfortable load carrying capacity of any backpack tested by Backpacking Light. The pack comes very close to the performance of an internal frame pack at a fraction of the weight. The Starlite is engineered so that a virtual frame is created by inserting a folded sleeping pad into an exterior zippered pocket that locks the pad to the harness. This creates a frame much stiffer than is possible with a rolled-up ground pad inside the main pack bag. In our load testing of the Starlite’s predecessor, which used the same design to create a virtual frame, the Moonlite was the only pack capable of carrying 35 pounds without a frame collapse.

Both the Zrest or 3/4 ridgerest are highly recommended. As far as the stays, no stay up to 35 Lbs, Use the stays at anything over 35 LBs.

And yes $50 was a hell of a deal. If i had of known that, I would have bought three :) The starlite is worth the money, however if tight on money then go with the gossamer Mariposa

doodah man
02-02-2007, 17:55
The comet doesnt have the HIP POCKETS !! I love these things :) It is also a bit smaller than the starlite.

The '07 comet now has the hipbelt with pockets as a $15 option. Well worth the additonal cost. doodah-man

dloome
02-02-2007, 18:55
Of those listed I'd totally go for the Jam. GG stuff is nice but lacks a warranty. Gossamer packs really seems to be designed for people who take VERY good care of their gear. They're nice packs, but you do have to be careful with them. Six Moon Comet is probably the sexiest of the three, but you certainly pay for it.

The Jam is an AWESOME pack, totally bombproof in my experience. Mine has about 3,600 miles on it including an AT thru hike with virtually no visible signs of wear. The Jam 2 also has at least a one year warranty I believe. Awesome pack, and you can't beat the price.

I'd also check out the Gossamer Nightlite pad instead of a z-lite. Much longer life span, WAY lighter, and makes a great fitting back pad for the Jam as well.

soulrebel
02-02-2007, 19:04
golite packs are made with dyneema (strongest fabric in the world-used in bulletproof vests) and are less expensive.

Matter of fact, I have a Golite Jam black Large (wife used it for 500 miles last year)-I'm gonna post for sale on here. If you're interested let me know $30. I also have a GG Virga 4 sale as well..

But alas it is not the new Jam 2.

stuco
02-02-2007, 19:43
I'd also like to say that I'm leaning towards the packs that use a pad as part of the frame. I really like the multi use idea. .....but the golite jam2 is a very tempting pack. One other negative thing about golite is that it's made overseas, although it does help to keep the prices low.

stuco
02-02-2007, 23:43
Any more ideas folks?

HangnOut
02-02-2007, 23:49
How about the ULA Conduit. It is in the same weight & size range as the others. Made in the USA too

stuco
02-03-2007, 00:21
How about the ULA Conduit. It is in the same weight & size range as the others. Made in the USA too

The conduit seems a little small for me as in I don't think you you are really supposed to carry more than 20lbs. I need to carry 28-33 lbs. Have you tried the circuit?

HangnOut
02-03-2007, 00:31
The conduit seems a little small for me as in I don't think you you are really supposed to carry more than 20lbs. I need to carry 28-33 lbs. Have you tried the circuit?

No, just the conduit. It is a well made pack and I have no complaints. I have carried mid 20's at times with no problems.

rmtjr
02-03-2007, 01:23
Here is an alternative to everything. Odd as a three legged duck, but I sure like mine. Bob
http://www.luxurylite.com/

DrewNC2005
02-03-2007, 12:02

I have the Circuit and love it. It has a delrin hoop which is basically a thin upside down "U" in the backpanel which helps transfer the load to the hips. I have used mine with and without a rolled up pad. The pad makes a difference the heavier the pack gets. I rarely carry more than 22 lbs. so I find I do not need a rolled up pad. The hipbelt pockets have spoiled me and anytime I look around at packs, the first question I ask now is "Does it have hipbelt pockets?" I highly recommend the Circuit.

I have tried on the Conduit in Damascus and it is a great pack as well. If you are carrying 28-33 lbs., some of the packs you mentioned may not be sufficient. The Starlite definitely would fit the bill but I wonder about the Jam in particular - especially the older model. I heard complaints (virtually the only ones about the pack) that the straps were a little insufficient for the heavier loads of which you speak. I have no personal experience with the GG packs, but as another user mentioned, they don't really carry a warranty.

PS - If you posted a gear list, we might be able to give a little bit better advice. Knowing what you're throwing in the pack will make a difference in the advice you'll receive.

stuco
02-03-2007, 12:59
Thanks guys, I just ordered a new Starlite from smd with THE BELT POCKETS and stays. I'll let you guys know my impressions when I get it.