PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Mommas or Big Creek Ranger Station ????

markellag
02-02-2007, 16:14
I will be hiking from Newfound Gap to around Davenport Gap in April.
I will leave my car near Davenport Gap and shuttle to Newfound Gap. Where should I stay near Davenport Gap, Mountain Mommas or Big Creek Ranger Station ????
I will never stay a Standing Bear Farm.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2007, 16:54
I'd park my car at Standing Bear, Big Creek Ranger Station and Mountain Momma's in that order. Davenport Gap has a history of vandelism so be careful where you park.

As for where to stay - Mountain Momma's hostel has a spotty reputation, but it is the only other lodging besides Standing Bear in the Davenport Gap area. Davenport Gap is on Interstate 40 between Knoxville and Asheville so you could just hop in your car and drive toward Knoxville (on your way home) and get a room there.

Nightwalker
02-02-2007, 17:07
I will never stay at Standing Bear Farm.

What's the reason, if you don't mind the question.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-02-2007, 17:08
My vote would be Standing Bear Farm. I noticed you said no to that, but Curtis runs a good place. I always use Standing Bear if I want to park my car.

Like the Dinosaurs say, beware of parking at Davenport Gap and Im not sure if Mountain Mammas will allow you. So if its still no to Standing Bear, then my choice is at the Ranger Station.

Good Luck and Happy Hiking

generoll
02-02-2007, 17:08
first person I ever heard speak ill of Standing Bear Farm.

Marta
02-02-2007, 19:45
You need to check and see if Mtn. Momma's is open. When I hiked through in December, it was closed. I don't know if that was temporary, or what.

RAT
02-02-2007, 20:28
Leaving a car at the ranger station is ok, or at MM`s but definitely NOT Davenport Gap. Then it is a short drive to the next community or Newport (going west) where there is lots of lodging and restaurants etc. MM's would definitely be open in April, no worries there. I too am curious about your Standing Bear comment.

RAT

mindi
02-03-2007, 02:21
I'm curious too, I planned on staying there during my thru and I haven't seen any bad comments.

generoll
02-03-2007, 09:21
Mindi, for what it's worth I stayed there on a section hike and left a car there while Curtis shuttled me. I found him to be very cordial, helpful, and knowledgable about the area. There will always be some sour grapes, but don't let that concern you. The overwhelming view here on WB seems to be favorable. If 10 people give a person or place a favorable rating then I'd have to consider that the odd man out was just that, odd.

Grampie
02-03-2007, 10:50
I would definately recommend Standing Bear Farm. Nice place run by good people.:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 11:24
You need to check and see if Mtn. Momma's is open. When I hiked through in December, it was closed. I don't know if that was temporary, or what.Mountain Momma's closes from about mid-November (when the leaf-peepers disappear) to about March 1 (early spring flower peepers appear) most years. It closes during the slow season for tourists.

minnesotasmith
02-03-2007, 11:38
first person I ever heard speak ill of Standing Bear Farm.

I stayed there, and found it a mixed bag. The firewood for the stove in the bunkroom was overly rationed. The wood making up the bunks was rough-hewn to the point I was worried splinters would puncture my Thermarest. The advertised Internet was down in a long-term way. The shower hot water (remember that I was in 11" of snow the day before I got to Standing Bear) was irregularly available. And, the place is seriously isolated; a convenience store/by-the-bite barbecue counter were all that were apparently close enough for driving to, and there is nothing at all within walking distance.

Don't get me wrong, it was a place I could deal with. For example, the hiker supply room Curtis has there was pretty well-stocked. It just wasn't an average-level hostel, going by the other ones I stayed at during my 2006 thruhike.

I never have seen Mountain Momma's, so cannot comment on it.

ScottP
02-03-2007, 13:51
Standing bear is the most fun hostel on the trail

minnesotasmith
02-03-2007, 20:19
Standing bear is the most fun hostel on the trail

It sounds to me like you've never been to Miss Janet's, Shaw's, The Twelve Tribes hostel in Rutland, or the Doyle. Great places in their own ways, all.;)

Blue Jay
02-04-2007, 00:54
The firewood for the stove in the bunkroom was overly rationed. The wood making up the bunks was rough-hewn to the point I was worried splinters would puncture my Thermarest.

Oh the horror, I don't know how you survived. I'll bet that sometimes while you were hiking it rained, how could they allow that to happen. You have my extreme sympathy.

n2o2diver
02-04-2007, 01:32
..... and there is nothing at all within walking distance.....

You've got to be kidding!

RAT
02-04-2007, 02:59
My first exp. with Standing Bear was when they shuttled some hikers up from there to the Brown Gap Hikers Feast and back, have done it again since I`m sure. I have some pictures of their place and have heard nothing but good things from everyone including Ox whose opinions I would consider highly valid.

Of course if they had splinters on their bunks, no internet, sporadic hot water and nothing within walking distance, then I can see why there would be on rare occasion the "odd man out" who wouldnt like it and in that case would be "just that, odd". :)

RAT

ScottP
02-04-2007, 12:40
"It sounds to me like you've never been to Miss Janet's, Shaw's, The Twelve Tribes hostel in Rutland, or the Doyle. Great places in their own ways, all.;)"

Went to all of those. Comment stands.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2007, 15:44
The simplicity of Standing Bear is one of the best things about it.

I think this is one of the coolest places for hikers to stay on the entire Trail.

Sly
02-04-2007, 16:00
I agree. We never did hear why markellag would never stay there.

Chaco Taco
02-04-2007, 16:10
You need to check and see if Mtn. Momma's is open. When I hiked through in December, it was closed. I don't know if that was temporary, or what.
Heard they were closing down for good in November

Sly
02-04-2007, 16:15

If that's true, I wonder if they're selling the place. Judging by what others are off the trail are asking, it's probably triple what it's worth. Too bad, I think you could really make a go of it there, thanks mostly to visitors to Big Creek. I could also visualize better accommodations for AT hikers.

Chaco Taco
02-04-2007, 16:21
If that's true, I wonder if they're selling the place. Judging by what others are off the trail are asking, it's probably triple what it's worth. Too bad, I think you could really make a go of it there, thanks mostly to visitors to Big Creek. I could also visualize better accommodations for AT hikers.
A guy in Cosby had told me that they were going to shut down and sell.

markellag
02-05-2007, 08:56
I was at Standing Bear Farm for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Within that time someone crashed into my car.
Also, the outhouse is 4 feet from the creek.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2007, 09:05
Ouch re: Marlellag's experience with the car.

It wouldn't surprise me if the couple that runs Mountain Momma's is selling out - they are retirement age.

John B
02-05-2007, 10:36

I think this is one of the coolest places for hikers to stay on the entire Trail.

Agree 100%. I've stayed there twice and I liked everything about the place.

generoll
02-05-2007, 10:54
I'm sure it was the fault of Standing Bear that someone hit your car. By that reasoning if someone hits your car in the parking lot at the mall or a restaurant then you should never go there again. The outhouse is actually a composting privy as in Georgia, so while it might not be ideally situated, it's not exactly like a pit toilet.

I was by Mountain Mommas last october and they were doing road work and had one of those run off barriers completely blocking the parking lot. I went up to the door and found it locked and a closed sign on it. No idea when or if they ever intend to reopen.

Skyline
02-05-2007, 10:54

I hiked in the Smokies in early October '06 and Mountain Momma's was closed--early enough the leaf-peepers wouldn't be there in full force yet so the earlier comment about MMs closing when the tourists are gone for the year would not have applied. Looked nearly abandoned in fact, with a barrier across the entrance to the parking lot and no sign of recent activity.

Sly
02-05-2007, 11:01
Since it's never appeared to be a problem, I tend to doubt having the composting privy near the stream causes any for hikers. In an area like that, I wouldn't be taking any water from a stream to drink anyway.

StarLyte
02-05-2007, 11:19

This and Kincora is an EXCELLENT representation of the Appalachian Trail experience.

I commend both of these men for keeping it that way too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2007, 11:50
I hiked in the Smokies in early October '06 and Mountain Momma's was closed--early enough the leaf-peepers wouldn't be there in full force yet so the earlier comment about MMs closing when the tourists are gone for the year would not have applied. Looked nearly abandoned in fact, with a barrier across the entrance to the parking lot and no sign of recent activity.Maybe they closed down after the 2005 season? They were open last time I 'hiked' in that area (spring 2005 and I was still using a walker. Does going down a trail with a walker consistute hiking? :D)

gravityman
02-05-2007, 15:40
Since everyone is giving their opinion of Standing Bear - I think that it's a fine hostel, but it was a bit out of control when we were there. Late night, loud in the bunk house, and very drunk people (including a semi-perminent guy named Snapper who was just a mess). We stayed in the cabin over the river, and that insolated us quite well. I would suggest setting up a tent if the crowd seems like it might be a late night, loud group...

Good resupply to hot springs though! And easy to get to.

Gravity Ga-ME 05

SouthMark
02-05-2007, 18:25
I stayed at SBF two nights in May of 2006 with my grandson and my next door neighbor. It was great. We all loved it, hanging around the campfire with some NOBO's and Curtis. Curtis shuttled us to Hot Springs after taking us to breakfast. At the end of the hike he aranged for us a steak dinner in Cosby and a whitewater raft trip the next day with a great friend of his, "Sproket", as our personal guide. I'm going back this spring (my neighbor also) to hike north from Hot Springs and visit with Curtis.

I'm reminded of the story of two brothers who set out separately to move to a new town. The first brother met an old man on the outskirts of the new town and asked him what the people there were like? The old man asked what they were like back in the town he came from. The brother replied that they were not very friendly people at all and he did not like them very much. The old man responded that he would find the peple in this town pretty much the same.

The second brother came along later and met the old man. He also asked what the people here were like and the old man again asked him what they were like where he came from. He replied that they were all good and friendly people and the old man said "You will find them here pretty much the same."