PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi Camp Dry

Boat Drinks
02-02-2007, 17:29
I co-worker just brought in a can of Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty water repellent 13% silicone spray. Says it good to use on packs, tents, tarps boots, anything breathable. I've already sealed my tent, but out of curiosity, has anyone used this stuff for anything and if so your thoughts on its effectiveness?:sun

oldfivetango
02-02-2007, 20:55
Great minds think alike-I bought a can today also.I just got
my LuxuryLite pack yesterday and they recommend hitting the
seams one more time before you get out there.Soon as we get a
dry sunny day I will do it and then wait a day and put one of the
cylinders in the bathtub just to give it a test.I have always had
good results with Campdry on boots and old Goretex rainsuits that
had lost their effectiveness so I would think it would do the trick.
I have regular seam sealer but the manufacturer recommended spray-on
silicone.The LL is supposed to be completely waterproof and it even
has an umbrella attachment which I thought was pretty cool.
Oldfivetango

Toolshed
02-02-2007, 21:57
Worthless. 1 or 2 rains and it's gone. It helps as a DWR for the first rain, but the problem is that the rain washes it off quickly. You are better off buying seam sealer and working the seams well.

Spork
02-03-2007, 11:11
I've used the Kiwi Camp Dry several times on boots, packs, jackets, etc. and have to agree with Toolshed. I found that it tended to not last very long even after applying several coats, which kind of surprised me given the silicone content. I personally find Nikwax products to work better and last longer and they have a variety of cleaning/proofing products for different types of gear. They cost a little more than Camp Dry but seem to hold up better, which probably ends up costing less in the long run anyway. Just my experience...

LEGS
02-03-2007, 16:23
I co-worker just brought in a can of Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty water repellent 13% silicone spray. Says it good to use on packs, tents, tarps boots, anything breathable. I've already sealed my tent, but out of curiosity, has anyone used this stuff for anything and if so your thoughts on its effectiveness?:sun

Coral, I use it all the time to spray on my wind breakers and heavier camp shirts. It will work for awhile in the morning dew and evening mists, and probably helps to keep the warmth inside your jacket or shirt. I'd have to agree that it does wash off in a day or 2. I've sprayed my boots with it
when hikin where there are marshy areas or a lot of wet grasses in the mornings. Like others have stated it wears off quick, but is fine for a few days. Not worth carring with you though, maybe for a bounce box item it would serve some good when you need it. Happy Trails to ya ,man. Be seeing you soon.

Mother's Finest
02-03-2007, 17:29
For leather boots, not much better than a beeswax product. something like Snow Seal.

peace
mf

oldfivetango
02-04-2007, 09:06
Coral, I use it all the time to spray on my wind breakers and heavier camp shirts. It will work for awhile in the morning dew and evening mists, and probably helps to keep the warmth inside your jacket or shirt. I'd have to agree that it does wash off in a day or 2. I've sprayed my boots with it
when hikin where there are marshy areas or a lot of wet grasses in the mornings. Like others have stated it wears off quick, but is fine for a few days. Not worth carring with you though, maybe for a bounce box item it would serve some good when you need it. Happy Trails to ya ,man. Be seeing you soon.

You can purchase goretex lined water proof leather boots most
anywhere.I remember the days when you couldn't and I tried about
everything on the market with limited success.I don't know why
Luxury Lite recommends spray on silicone for seam sealing of their
canister packs but as soon as they answer my email I will post the
reason.
Oldfivetango

dla
02-04-2007, 17:23
Worthless. 1 or 2 rains and it's gone. It helps as a DWR for the first rain, but the problem is that the rain washes it off quickly. You are better off buying seam sealer and working the seams well.

I thought you are supposed to warmi clothing articles to "set" the silicone. Have you done that?

Jimmers
02-04-2007, 18:24
I've never used it on boots, just windbreakers. It works just fine if you're only going to be in light rain or using the windbreaker around town. Lasts maybe two months, at most, if you really load it on. A big problem is the smell. Use it in a well ventilated area or you'll get high off the acetone fumes.

stag3
02-05-2007, 01:11
I got some stuff at Walmart sporting goods dept called Silicon Water Guard. I don't know how the silicon content comapres to the other sprays. It covers in one application and is odorles after about 24 hours. I used it on my polyester fishing pants and it seems to work well and has survived the first wash cycle (cold, no soap). Also, the cheapest on the shelf.

Stag3

oldfivetango
02-05-2007, 14:30
I got a reply from LuxuryLite today.They recommend a spray on
seam sealer over traditional gooey products which they say will
peel off eventually anyway.The directions on the can say to let the
product dry for 48 hours before using.I have always had good results
with it on raingear etc.Important note-nothing lasts forever-not even
Goretex.And I am packing all my important items likes bag and clothes
in a heavy duty trash compactor bag-that outta do it.:D
Oldfivetango