PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Question..or not-Cooking Question

L Tee
02-02-2007, 20:04
After searching the threads I couldnt really find anything on this topic.

Anyone know anything about thru-hiking and only using dry goods. No cooking = no cooking utensils/accessories weight. Anyone know an exact thread location or possible insite?

oldfivetango
02-02-2007, 20:43
It is my understanding that some hard core ultra lighters
do not cook or even boil water-hence saving alot of time
and resultant weight.Not this old boy-hypothermia is still
the biggest enemy-a good hot cuppa anything works wonders
on cold people.Note: you can get noodle based dehydrated soups
at most groceries for about 3 for a dollar and have a nice styrofoam
cup to drink out of later if you like.My Bean Dip stove will boil 2 cups
to a rolling boil in less than 5 minutes with 2/3 oz of fuel(Man,do I
miss my SVEA or what!)For soloist alcohol is the way to go.
Oldfivetango

mountain squid
02-02-2007, 21:28
Here's a thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11760&highlight=stove

Personally, though, it is nice to have a hot meal at night...and sometimes coffee in the morning. Eating on the trail is rather monotonous as it is with a stove. Without a stove, there would seem to be even fewer options. Besides, you can find lightweight cooking equipment. Have you thought of a denatured alcohol stove?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

4eyedbuzzard
02-02-2007, 21:40
You'll probably wind up carrying more weight without a stove and pot because most of the food you can eat without reconstiuting/cooking it in hot water has a lot of water in it.

L Tee
02-02-2007, 22:38
thanks for the no stove thread. It was pretty helpful, I eat the same exact things every single day at almost the same times everyday (gotta make sure I eat the right amount of carbs/calories/protien). So monatany (sp?) isnt going to get to me. I think Im gonna consider going "cold."

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2007, 22:46
::: momma dinosaur worries about the health of the southern youngster :::

You could always make an alcohol stove (very light and easy to make - check homemade gear for soda can stove) and carry a small titanium cup / pot. You could then purchase denatured alcohol during resupplies if you decide mid-hike you want some cooked food after all.

L Tee
02-02-2007, 23:05
lol awww, its not the weight part im worried about its just the annoyance of cooking in the AM and PM just about every day. Ive been doing a lot of reasearch on high calorie high protien bars. Thats one of my main worries is lack of protien which means depletion of muscle mass. Im gonna make sure i take in about 115 g of protien a day. the cooking proccess only allows for higher carb to calorie ratio.

saimyoji
02-02-2007, 23:08
::: momma dinosaur worries about the health of the southern youngster :::

You could always make an alcohol stove (very light and easy to make - check homemade gear for soda can stove) and carry a small titanium cup / pot. You could then purchase denatured alcohol during resupplies if you decide mid-hike you want some cooked food after all.

Note that the stove and cup (not Ti but aluminum) can be purchased and built in about an hour at most towns. Take the knowledge with you, but save the weight.

TurkeyBacon
02-03-2007, 11:46
There are some practical no cook meals to add to your cook meals. A nice thing to do the first night out of town is to bring a sandwich (like a turkey and bacon subway sub on Springer) strapped to the ouside of your pack. Powdered milk and cereal is what most my breakfeasts where. While it doesn't taste like milk, its a very tolerable taste. I very rarely boiled water in the am, only a few time for hot chocolate.
Soy nuts in your gorp in an excelent source of protien.
TB