PDA

View Full Version : Resupply Btwn Erwin and Damascus

Footnotes
02-02-2007, 20:39
Where can one resupply between Erwin and Damascus? What are my options? Thanks.

RAT
02-02-2007, 20:48
Small store down hill a mile or two on NC side from Iron Mtn Gap, Roan Mountain / Elk Park , Ride from Kinkora hostel to Hampton or hike into Hampton, and Shady Valley from 421. That's it.

Hope this helps,
RAT

bigcranky
02-02-2007, 21:30
Stop at Kincora Hostel at Dennis Cove Road. Part of the package is a ride down the mountain to a large grocery store. You will find the people terrific and the price quite reasonable. Stay two nights -- you can slack the following ten miles soutthbound the second day.

mountain squid
02-02-2007, 21:47
Another vote for Kincora. But, if you don't stop there, it is also possible to get into Hampton from 321 at Watauga Lake. It is about 9 miles away from Dennis Cove Rd and probably an easier hitch. There is also a blue-blazer a couple miles past Laurel Falls that will lead you to 321. (Laurel Falls is in between Dennis Cove Rd and Watauga Lake on the AT.) This is closer to town than if you hike all the way to the Lake. Hope that isn't too confusing?!?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

GlazeDog
02-03-2007, 11:14
Kincora--he shuttles people into town everyday--and runs a slack pack for the first 10 miles outta Kincora. Kincora is a must stay and so close to the trail.

GlazeDog

Blue Sky II
02-03-2007, 11:41
Just be careful if you plan to get off at Greasy Creek Gap for lodging. It's an easy turnoff to miss, especially if the sign on the trail is missing.
Section hikers saved my *** in 2003 by providing me with food when I missed the turnoff. Out of eight hikers going south who latter provided feedback, none were sure of where to get off the AT at Greasy Creek Gap.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2007, 11:58
Kincora is all well and good but the Braemar Castle hostel in Hampton is way cool plus it's close to everything you need. Very few hikers stay there. It's an old classic.

RAT
02-03-2007, 23:12
Very good advice Wolf, I know those people very well, went to school with the guy. Very aesthetic place to stay and very convenient to everything. I imagine it is way less crowded now due to Kinkora as well. If it was me I would hit both :)

RAT

Footnotes
02-04-2007, 16:32
Thanks to all who responded. That was the info I needed. I do have one more question. How far is Hampton, Tn/Braemar Castle Hostel from the trail? Does anyone know if they hold packages?

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2007, 16:38
It's about two miles from the Rt. 321 road crossing at Watauga Lake to the center of Hampton, which is two minutes from the Braemar. Or, there's a blue-blazed Trail from the woods that will cut a mile off of this. Personally, I'd go all the way to 321 and then hitch in. I don't know if they hold hiker mail; you can call them at (423) 725-2411. The hostel is just a few minutes walk to the Post Office.