PDA

View Full Version : Waynesboro, VA residents

walktard
02-02-2007, 21:12
I'm writing to anyone living in the Waynesboro, VA area. What is the nearest airport and how far away is it? I'm thinking it is probably in D.C., but I really have no idea. I am planning on flying in and renting a car (my girlfriend will come out to see me off and be able to return the car). Thanks in advance.

Hikerhead
02-02-2007, 21:29
I'm writing to anyone living in the Waynesboro, VA area. What is the nearest airport and how far away is it? I'm thinking it is probably in D.C., but I really have no idea. I am planning on flying in and renting a car (my girlfriend will come out to see me off and be able to return the car). Thanks in advance.

I don't live there but my guess would be Charlottesville, Va. About 30/40 miles to the east on the other side of Afton Mtn.

Blissful
02-02-2007, 21:50
Yes, there's one in Charlottesville and there is the Shenandoah Regional Airport in Weyers Cave which I believe is closer to Waynesboro.

Fannypack
02-02-2007, 22:24
I see u are coming from CA, so I would suggest that u should look at coming into Washington, DC, preferably IAD, Dulles International Airport and then drive to Waynesboro, VA. Directions: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=IAD+-+Washington+Dulles+Intl+Airport&daddr=Waynesboro,+VA+22980&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.863178,96.328125&ie=UTF8&z=8&ll=37.466139,-78.403931&spn=2.310733,6.020508&om=1

I have a question: is it necessary for u to start at Waynesboro? I guess I am wondering if u could start at Harpers Ferry and if u did start at HF, u could get a flight into downtown DC airport, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport - DCA and then u could take the train to HF (I believe u will need to take the metro to the train) - If u choose this option, I can do more research to get all details, including when the last train leaves for HF...

If u definitely need to go to Waynesboro, VA, then I definitely suggest flying into IAD so that way u will have a better chance of getting a direct flight. I just don't believe u want to deal with those small airports mentioned above.

U can contact me via PM or email if u want to discuss further.

walktard
02-03-2007, 00:22
Thanks for the replies. The reason I need to get there is that I'm linking my steps for when I had to get off in '02 due to injury during my thru-hike. So, this year it's Montebello to Katahdin to get the alluring triple crown. I can't freakin' wait.
How rainy is it going to be on this hike starting last week of March heading north with an estimated finish of mid-June? Thanks again.

Fannypack
02-03-2007, 00:47
Thanks for the replies. The reason I need to get there is that I'm linking my steps for when I had to get off in '02 due to injury during my thru-hike. So, this year it's Montebello to Katahdin to get the alluring triple crown. I can't freakin' wait.
How rainy is it going to be on this hike starting last week of March heading north with an estimated finish of mid-June? Thanks again.
this is rainfall for Waynesboro(zip=22980):
http://www.weatherperhour.com/htdocs/get_climate.asp?pc=22980&month=3

Just substitute the zip & month to get the rainfall for the town u are interested in.

IMHO, if u started a month to 6wks later i believe u will get better weather.

Fannypack
02-03-2007, 01:00
also u may want to check the opening dates for the food places in SNP... it makes it much more enjoyable when they are open, since they are right on the trail.

see the AT Companion, http://www.aldha.org/companyn/va06.pdf (2006 version), for food places and u can check here: http://www.visitshenandoah.com/food_service.shtml for opening dates.

Waynesboro
02-03-2007, 09:08

Don't know if you still need this information, but here are the airports in the Waynesboro area:

1. Eagles Nest - On the west side of Waynesboro, this is a private airport for smaller planes. Got any wealthy, aviator friends?

2. Shenandoah Valley Airport (SHD) - This is located in Weyer's Cave, about 20 miles northwest of Waynesboro. Limited non-stop destinations.

3. Charlottesville - 35 miles to the east. Limited non-stop destinations.

4. Richmond - 100 miles to the southeast, this one is the first one on the list that handles the standard, large planes. Larger choice of destinations.

5. Dulles International (IAD - near DC) - Flights of all kinds to everywhere.

Regards,

Greg
Waynesboro, VA

Blissful
02-04-2007, 23:53
You also will be in SNP when many water supplies are turned off (esp in the southern and northern sections). The springs in some places are not the best, and actually we have had a fairly dry winter so far. Just some things to keep in mind.

trlhiker
02-15-2007, 21:25
Richmond would be closer and less crowed than DC. And its a straight shot up I-64.