PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnakes

illininagel
07-18-2003, 10:03
Is it common to see rattlesnakes along the trail? Is it most likely to run across a rattlesnake in rocky Pennslyvania?

Do you take any precautions when it comes to rattlesnakes---particulary when you are choosing a camp site or shelter?

Blue Jay
07-18-2003, 10:13
Yes, it is common to see Rattlesnakes on the trail. I saw more in Northern Virginia than PA but I think that was just luck of the draw. Five times I walked right by one, within inches, and only knew it because it rattled after I had gone by. I truly believe if you do not step on them or ignore their warnings, that it is extermely unlikely that they will strike. You are not on their food list.

Penscal
07-18-2003, 10:23
Go to www.trailjournals.com. click on Gallery, sort pictures alphabetically, click on page #112 for pictures of some really BIG rattle snakes and page #124 for pictures of snakes in general.

MOWGLI
07-18-2003, 11:48
Regarding snakes, and in particular, venemous snakes, it is not something to become totally freaked out about. Many humans have an innate fear of snakes. Consider yourself lucky if you encounter a rattlesnake (or a bear) along the trail. They are awesome creatures; highly evolved and efficient predators. They do not want to tangle with you. You're too big. Anyway, you darn near have to step on a Rattlesnake in order to get bitten. Snakebite incidents along the AT are very uncommon.

If you encounter one, take a photo or two, and be on your way. If you have a hiking pole or stick, I would suggest gently moving a rattler out of the trail if that's where you find it. Otherwise, don't mess with it.

Me? I saw 2 rattlers on my hike, both in PA. I also saw a Copperhead in PA. I saw 6 or 7 other species of non-venemous snakes as well.

Cedar Tree
07-18-2003, 14:35
I saw two Rattlers on my hike, a huge one in VA just off the trail that I almost stepped on, and a medium size one in PA. Also, encountered countless other snakes. I spent 30 minutes playing with a black racer on the trail just south of Pearisburg, VA.

Jumpstart
07-22-2003, 10:15
We saw 5 rattlers on the trail..in 2 in Virginia, one in Pennsylvania, and 2 in New York. All five of them we directly on the trail, some sleeping, some rattling...but we just took some pictures and walked around all of them, with no problems at all.

B Thrash
07-23-2003, 20:16
I did not see a single rattlesnake until I got to New Jersey then two in one day. They are a protected ( endangered)species in this state so if you get bit don't kill it or you may be arrested especially in The Delaware Water Gap.

Kerosene
07-24-2003, 13:28
I've never encountered a rattler in my 30 years and 1,000 miles of AT hiking, even when walking through noted snake-infested areas on sunny, warm days when they should be basking. Some of my luck is probably due to my preference for spring/fall hiking, but even then they seem to stay away from me.

smokymtnsteve
07-24-2003, 14:36

B Thrash
07-24-2003, 19:33
Kerosene, the force must be with you and Smokymtsteve if you have not seen a single rattle snake.:banana

Youngblood
07-25-2003, 08:22
I may be going out on a limb here, but just because an AT hiker never saw a rattle snake doesn't mean that a rattle snake never saw them. Many times I have had other hikers point out things (sometimes snakes) that I hiked right by without noticing, and yes, I have also pointed out things to other hikers that they didn't notice. Likewise if you hike with a 'well trained' dog, sometimes the dog will point out wildlife that you would not have noticed. There are critters out there and usually THEY don't want you to notice them. If you don't see any, it might just be bad luck/timing or it could be that they are better at concealing themselves than you are at spotting them.

Youngblood

MOWGLI
07-25-2003, 09:09
Like Youngblood said... I take pride in being able to spot wildlife. In May during the Cumberland Trail's Big Dig, I walked down to beautiful Rock Creek after a hard days work.

I was specifically looking for snakes to photograph along the way. One of my fellow volunteers said "hey, did you see this Copperhead you nearly stepped on". There, coiled in a brush pile right next to the trail was an 18" Copperhead, and a real beauty!

Same thing happened while leading a hike on the AT in New York's Sterling Forest. I had some folks who were snake phobic with me. I made a fuss of saying how lucky we'd be to see a snake, and talked about the need to watch where you step. Wouldn't ya know it... The woman who was deathly afraid of snakes pointed out that I stepped ovver a coiled copperhead right in the middle of the treadway.

Copperheads & Rattlesnakes can really blend in. Still, your chances of being bit are slim.

BTW, if you hike wiith a dog, for some reason, dogs are less susceptible to snake venom then humans, and will usually survive a bite.