PDA

View Full Version : How much water do you carry?

tmnobo07
02-03-2007, 00:02
I know this is a matter of personal preference and there is no "right answer" but I'm curious, how much water do you carry on an average day of a thru-hike?

Personally I like to carry as little as possible. Basically around 32-48oz. I camel up at streams and carry enough to get me to the next source. Obviously there are variables such as weather, terrain and distance between water sources.

I've done all my hiking in the northeast. How plentiful are water sources in the southern and mid states?

Bravo
02-03-2007, 00:57
2-3 quarts max.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 01:03
A minimum of 1 liter and a maximum of 3 liters on the AT.

RAT
02-03-2007, 01:10
2 Nalgene water bottles full at all times (quarts) unless is dry section will carry some extra.

RAT

rmtjr
02-03-2007, 01:18
Long ago and in a land far away I was without water for 18 hours. I will never, never let that happen to me again. It was hot, humid, involved some climbing and I carried a heavy pack. I carry three liters and have been known to carry another 1/2 l in my back pack on the 4C Trail in E. TX where the water is yuck. I appreciate that I carry more water than probably 99% of hikers and that I am probably paranoid, but I promised myself I would never again be thirsty like that. I think that I'll have a big glass of water now. I've gotten thirsty just writing this. Bob

Kerosene
02-03-2007, 01:34
I typically carry about 80 ounces, which maxes out my two "1-liter" Nalgene flexible Cantenes. I also ran out of water once, and only for a few hours, so I almost always carry more than I probably need unless I'm certain of the water ahead. On long dry ridgelines of more than 10 miles I might also take along a 20-ounce plastic soda bottle filled with water.

RAT
02-03-2007, 01:43
Funny how thirsty you get all of a sudden soon as you realize you`re out of water and there is none around and you dont know where or how far or how reliable the next source is. Instant thirst like you just walked across the dessert ! Been there done that, will try to not do it again ;)

RAT

Michele
02-03-2007, 02:14
I'm a heavy drinker (of water that is) and I like to have my (2) 32 oz collapsible canteens full when I hike.

Marta
02-03-2007, 07:12
I normally carry a one-liter bottle and a smaller Gatorade or soda bottle. In the morning I drink quite a lot of weak tea and usually eat a cooked breakfast which is made with water, so I start off well hydrated. If I know I'm heading into a section which has very little water, or not-very-nice water (think New Jersey), I'll pick up an extra soda bottle and carry either Dr. Pepper or more water. In water-rich places, like the Nantahala, I'll carry just the small bottle full of water.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Lone Wolf
02-03-2007, 08:20
one quart nalgene

Lilred
02-03-2007, 10:02
I was hiking Springer to Neels Gap in March. Passing water source after water source and failed to fill up before the climb over Sassafrass. It was sunny, felt like 80, and not a leaf on a tree. I bout died before I got to Justus Creek. I too, will never let myself get below a liter of water.

bullseye
02-03-2007, 10:08
I carry 1L and 1.5L Nalgene Canteens w/ the 1.5 hooked to my hydration hose. When that runs dry I switch and start looking for water. If water sources are scarce I'll plan my water stops a little more carefully. I ran out twice using a larger dromedary bag (very unpleasant) and have never had that happen again since switching over.

Peaks
02-03-2007, 10:13
Generally, I found water plentiful along the AT. I seldom carried more than one liter.

However, I should qualify things a bit. I also filtered, which means that I could filter and drink up right away at a water source. I didn't need the 30 minutes or so wait for chemicals to work. Likewise, I carried pages from Wingfoot's handbook which told me where to expect to find the next water. When it looked like the next water source was further than one liter away, I carried additional water.

soulrebel
02-03-2007, 10:55
20 or 40 ozs.

The water in the South is plentiful with a lot of seeps and springs.

Mid-Atlantic had poorer quality water, less often, a lot of questionable streams and rivers-usually due to low elevation or proximity of civilization.

rafe
02-03-2007, 15:43
Between 1 and 3 quarts. I get nervous when it's below 1 qt. 3 full quarts is rare. That would be if I'm just heading up onto a long, dry ridge or maybe thinking of camping on the ridge.

Frosty
02-03-2007, 16:18
Generally, I found water plentiful along the AT. I seldom carried more than one liter.

However, I should qualify things a bit. I also filtered, which means that I could filter and drink up right away at a water source. One of the benefits of a filter over chemicals is that you can carry less water. it is okay to arrive at a water source thristy because you can immediately drink a quart or more.

I did a minor analysis of this once (assuming water sources were five miles apart) and found the I would average less weight with a filter than with chemicals.

rafe
02-03-2007, 16:26
One of the benefits of a filter over chemicals is that you can carry less water. it is okay to arrive at a water source thristy because you can immediately drink a quart or more.

Yep, the ability to "camel up" is worth something. I'm going to try using the Katadyn Micro (http://www.rei.com/product/47875595.htm) squeeze-bottle filter. It weighs eight ounces. When you figure a quart-sized Lexan Nalgene weighs 6 oz, that's not too awful. The Katadyn's bottle has a "payload" of about 20 oz of water.

buckowens
02-03-2007, 17:04
I carry 3-4 liters at all times in a reservoir. I have a Mioxx filter and try to stay topped off as much as possible.

I ran out of water on a 15 mile desert hike in New Mexico about two hours before the end. Thought I was gonna die!!! I now always carry a bit more than I think I will need. Water is like jet fuel, you can almost never have too much!!

Egads
02-03-2007, 17:32
I usually carry 2-3 L, but have carried up to 6 L. It sux to run out and dehydrate.

Egads

mweinstone
02-03-2007, 17:45
a pint to wash my hands after a poop. i dont carry a canteen, just a bag. in the heat i may carry up to 4 litres. but all other times, a pint.

moxie
02-03-2007, 20:01
It really depends on where you are hiking. On the AT in the summer I have found published water sites to be dry in the middle atlantic states. I remember on year in Maine on Labor day a creek that had been a dependable water sourse fo 50 years ran dry so things can change from year to year. In the Senorian Desert you will not find any water on some hikes for days but in Glacier park and Alaska water is everywhere. I carry what I KNOW I will need plus about 20% extra. I naver wash with the water a carry, I use hand sanitizer on my hands and body and wipe my cook pot as clean as I can until I get to a dependable water source. At a water source I wash me, dishes., and my socks,(not in the source), replinish my drinking water and move on. In one nalgene I use a weak mix of sugar free lemonade mix just to mask the odor of the water, either chemical or source odor. I have another nalgene with filtered water I cook with, I hate running out of water and do not leave it to chance.

Earl Grey
02-04-2007, 02:50
I too ran out of water before so now I carry around 3-4L all the time. 3L in a camel and another 1L for cooking and whatnot.

Mags
02-05-2007, 02:25
I tend to carry 1ltr per 5 miles. If there are 10 miles between water sources, I'll carry 2 ltrs and so on. A little more if it is REALLY hot...

If I am dry camping, I do the math above and figure two liters for cooking/drinking at night/getting me going in the morning.

I rarely treat my water, so I can usually fill up and go.

YMMV.

Peanut
02-05-2007, 12:01
I've heard comments on the weight of a Nalgene vs. other bottles such as gatorade or whatever. If you use a gatorade or other such bottle, how often, health-wise should you/do you replace it? I will weight it out at home, but how much does it down? Also, did anyone have any problems not carrying a Nalgene or other more durable container? Thanks for your imput!

rafe
02-05-2007, 12:28
There are at least two styles of Nalgene bottles. The older style was made of polyethylene and weighed about 4 oz (to carry 1 quart of water.) The newer shiny bottles are made of Lexan and weigh a bit over 6 oz. Either way it's a lot of dead weight to carry water. Yes, they are rugged and useful. Can't deny that. Been carrying them for years, but will avoid them from this point on.

The Solemates
02-05-2007, 13:20
on our thru, i cameled up in the morning, and then typically carried about 1/2 a liter until lunch. we would always stop by a stream and camel up during lunch, and then again only carry about 1/2 liter until supper. we would then camp by a water source. of course if we ran out, we would simply stop to drink from streams. i think people carry too much water on the AT. its everywhere! why carry it?

The Solemates
02-05-2007, 13:22
I've heard comments on the weight of a Nalgene vs. other bottles such as gatorade or whatever. If you use a gatorade or other such bottle, how often, health-wise should you/do you replace it? I will weight it out at home, but how much does it down? Also, did anyone have any problems not carrying a Nalgene or other more durable container? Thanks for your imput!

we often just replaced a 20 ounce soda bottle with another 20 oz soda bottle when we went into town.

Fiddleback
02-05-2007, 13:25
I carry water according to the distance between water sources and the weather. Fortunately, in my local area water sources are frequent and near/on the trail...I don't remember ever carrying more than two liters here and now usually carry less than one in my Bota Outback filter bottle.

A couple seasons ago I started using the Bota when on the trail. It's a Nalgene, 22oz capacity bottle that weighs 5oz including the filter...32oz capacity bottles are available. http://www.botaofboulder.com/site_files/products_outback.html I love the convenience of just dipping into a water source and slurping away without having to get out a pump filter or wait for chemicals to finish their work. Of course, the filter bottle requires a 'dipable' water source.;)

When in camp and using larger quantities of water for cooking, cleanup, etc., I rely on chemical treatments and Platypus bottles. This combination of methods is notably lighter than the pump filter I use to carry and, I think, a whole lot more convenient.

FB

oldfivetango
02-05-2007, 14:39

However, I should qualify things a bit. I also filtered, which means that I could filter and drink up right away at a water source. I didn't need the 30 minutes or so wait for chemicals to work. Likewise, I carried pages from Wingfoot's handbook which told me where to expect to find the next water. When it looked like the next water source was further than one liter away, I carried additional water.

May I ask how many MPL(miles per liter) you are getting?
How do you know the next source is really dependable?
thanks,
Oldfivetango

icemanat95
02-05-2007, 15:01
I know this is a matter of personal preference and there is no "right answer" but I'm curious, how much water do you carry on an average day of a thru-hike?

Personally I like to carry as little as possible. Basically around 32-48oz. I camel up at streams and carry enough to get me to the next source. Obviously there are variables such as weather, terrain and distance between water sources.

I've done all my hiking in the northeast. How plentiful are water sources in the southern and mid states?

Minimum 2 quarts. Maximum depends upon the year's spring situation if things are running dry, carry more water. If the springs are flowing good, no more than 2. Typically though it is un-necessary to carry more than two on a continuing basis, just to carry a spare bottle in the pack for particularly dry stretches. A platypus type collapsable bottle/bag would be the way to go here.

Sly
02-05-2007, 15:14
One liter for every 5 miles is a good rule of thumb.

Marta
02-05-2007, 15:19

I replace the Gatorade bottle whenever it starts to look or smell funky, or whenever I buy some more Gatorade or soda. Sometimes I'll buy Gatorade or Dr. Pepper at a convenience store, carry it with me, drink it on the trail, then refill the bottle with water.

The only time I would carry a Nalgene is if the weather is going to be very cold. If it's in the teens and below, the narrow-mouthed bottles get choked with ice. (That bottle-upside-down thing doesn't help if it's really cold.) I got into a bit of water trouble when the temperature got down to zero. With a Nalgene, you can pour boiling water into it, hack at the ice with a knife, etc. to de-ice it.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Peaks
02-05-2007, 18:28
May I ask how many MPL(miles per liter) you are getting?
How do you know the next source is really dependable?
thanks,
Oldfivetango

I never figured out MPL. But, I can tell you that my overall average was 16 Miles per day, and I did a lot of 20 plus mile days. But, I found that I generally drank about 1 liter during the morning, 1 liter or so during lunch, and 1 liter in the afternoon. And then I filled up with 4 liters for dinner, clean-up, and to get me started in the morning.

I don't have a clue if the next source is really dependable. However, water is plentiful along the AT. I didn't really worry about it.

Ramble~On
02-06-2007, 11:46
Your current state of hydration, the food you eat, your physical condition, trail condition, elevation, weather, the clothes you're wearing, your pack weight, pace and duration of activity will all play a factor in how much water you'll need.

water is heavy and carrying enough from one source to the next is part of the hiking game...more so is drinking enough and remaining hydrated.
What works great for one person might be way too much for another or not nearly enough. "Better to have and not need....than to need and not have"
great saying and it is true. Carrying not enough can make for some uncomfortable miles...carrying too much can do the same though.

Sometimes I carry no water...in places where the next source is a long way off I will camel up and then carry 2 quarts.