PDA

View Full Version : Leg Gaitors

unl1988
02-03-2007, 09:02
Does anyone have any input on gaitors? I am thinking about buying some, but want some input. High ones, low ones, gore-tex, not gore-tex, etc. I have seen folks using them, and am a little tired of stuff down in my boot but am concerned about the comfort and way they ride.

Any good thought would be appreciated.

Toolshed
02-03-2007, 09:11
Wore the large OR Crocs for years when climbing and backpacking in the mud and muck of the NE. For the AT, when I wear them, I wear the stretchy low ones just to keep duff out of my socks and shoe. Anything else is overkill. And I would avoid the waterproof low ones, I don't think they are needed - They just end up trapping sweat and making you feet hotter.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2007, 09:15
you don't need them.

Waltzing Matilda
02-03-2007, 09:33
I started the AT without gaiters but eventually succumbed to peer pressure and tried tiny ankle ones. Wore them all the time after that, so much less debris in the boots. I still have my sock sticking slightly out the top so the gaiters don't rub on my skin. Don't like the "waterproof" ones though, kind of defeat the purpose as feet end up really sweaty. I was hoping they would keep rain from running down into my boots off my legs (had the socks tucked in this time) but not completely effective.

Lilred
02-03-2007, 09:33
I never had a problem with stuff getting in my boots, however, I took a pair on my section hike last summer. Bought long ones and they worked wonders as far as keeping my pants and boots dry. Walking through long, wet grass day after day in the Smokies, my feet would always end up soaked at the end of the day. Gators kept my socks, and thus my feet from getting wet. Loved em for that reason.

Peaks
02-03-2007, 10:22
There's a time and place for gaitors. They are more useful if you are wearing low cut shoes. Also, more useful where the trail is rough or muddy, and there's a lot of scree than can get into your shoes.

Some places I wear them. Lots of places I don't wear them.

TurkeyBacon
02-03-2007, 11:40
High gators are very nice in cold weather hiking. With that being said. I forget if I used mine on my thru-hike or if I wore them. Unless you live in the mts of NC, in which gators would be great for day hikes, and possibley the first month.5 of the hike, I would not get high gators (in which g-tex is the best option). I definately used minigators for the rest of the hike. I like my OR strechy ones.
TB

highway
02-03-2007, 12:28
Does anyone have any input on gaitors? I am thinking about buying some, but want some input. High ones, low ones, gore-tex, not gore-tex, etc. I have seen folks using them, and am a little tired of stuff down in my boot but am concerned about the comfort and way they ride.

Any good thought would be appreciated.

Why anyone would ever voluntarily spend the money for, and then choose to strap on a pair of those "goofy gaiters" upon one's feet, then be forced to lift each of those gaiters up 5-6 inches or so with each step, just for a misperceived amount of minuscule protection, is beyond my comprehension.

Were one to really analyze the energy one spends to wear a pair of those goofy things, and compare it to the misperceived advantage in doing so, I suspect they may very well reconsider.

However, I suppose if one were to consider it somehow "cool", like those who wear their ball cap backwards, or their trousers down around the crack of their arse, with their underwear jacked up so high like the were announcing to the whole world their preference for "wedgies", then, I'd go for it.

Otherwise, save your money for something worthwhile-like some good pizzas!:D

Sly
02-03-2007, 12:32
Yup, gaitors seem to be more of a fad than anything else. Sure they'll keep your legs warm in cooler weather when wearing shorts, or help keep debris out of your boots or shoes, but convertibles/zip-offs will do the same and are more versatile.

rafe
02-03-2007, 12:37
They're mildly useful, in some situations. Hardly necessary, in most cases. A pair of gators needn't weigh more than 4 or 5 oz. I used to carry and use them, but now not so much. Peer pressure?

mythicyeti
02-03-2007, 14:29
Low stretchy ones are best if you use any at all. REI sells a very good/cheap pair. I have never used any gaitors on the AT but use them quite often out west.

Cheers

Kerosene
02-03-2007, 15:25
I only use them with low-tops and then only in the rain or walking through wet fields, but generally I go without. The Integral Designs eVent Shortie Gaiters (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=765&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1) breathe very well and only weigh 2.5 oz.

hopefulhiker
02-03-2007, 21:01
I would definetely use the low ones with the trail runners.. keeps the pebbles out...I liked the high ones two for poison ivy, I felt like I could go in briars if I had to.. with the tall ones.. It's worth considering them,

RedneckRye
02-04-2007, 00:51
www.dirtygirlgaitors.com
Good stuff. Hot pink. Skulls. Tie Dye. Etc.

RedneckRye
02-04-2007, 00:52
It would help if I could spell.
www.dirtygirlgaiters.com
Sorry.

highway
02-04-2007, 10:09
They're mildly useful, in some situations. Hardly necessary, in most cases. A pair of gators needn't weigh more than 4 or 5 oz. I used to carry and use them, but now not so much. Peer pressure?

"...wouldn't weigh more than 4 or 5 oz."?

It would be interesting to do the math to determine the work involved to lift that extra 2-2.5 ounces of weight upon EACH foot to a step height of 5-6 inches, with each of one's steps for a cumulative distance of over 2,000 miles.

And, to expend all of that energy just keep out an occasional pebble? Gaiters are not just goofy looking, but a ludicrous concept at best.

rafe
02-04-2007, 10:21
"...wouldn't weigh more than 4 or 5 oz."?

It would be interesting to do the math to determine the work involved to lift that extra 2-2.5 ounces of weight upon EACH foot to a step height of 5-6 inches, with each of one's steps for a cumulative distance of over 2,000 miles.

And, to expend all of that energy just keep out an occasional pebble? Gaiters are not just goofy looking, but a ludicrous concept at best.

Considering how much lighter my boots & shoes have gotten over the years, 4-5 oz. is nothing. I really do belive the "ultralight" business can be taken too far. Goofy looking? Who cares. Like hiking is supposed to look cool. :rolleyes:

Slosteppin
02-04-2007, 11:09
consider why you want gaiters. Do you wear shorts for hiking?
I have 2 pair of gaiters : nearly knee high OR goretex and short stretchy pair from REI that work well with trail runners.

It has been over 5 years since I've used the OR gaiters. They are good for deep snow or deep mud.

I use the short gaiters when I hike in shorts to keep debris out of my shoes. I generally wear long pants for hiking that come down over the shoes and keep out the dirt.

If you always wear boots and long pants why bother with gaiters?

Slosteppin

Toolshed
02-04-2007, 12:20
I usually wear shorts except when it is below 20-25 degrees. Otherwise I'll wear running tights or long underwearw/shorts or softshell pants. I dislike hiking in long pants.

The OR Gaitors (a I made mention in my earlier post) are great for the NE - Especially the Adirondack knee deep sucking muck mud. I wouldn't THINK about a trip there without a set of OR Crocs (and heavier boots).

For the AT and other local trails I usually wear the low stretchy ones with my NBs 80X series simply because of the duff I get in my socks. And now that I am wearing $15/pair smartwool socks (Which I love) I don't need the heels of them (or my NB's) wearing prematurely because of small leaf matter or tiny twigs rubbing incessently. I don't care if it looks uncool or whatever, (especially since I am not out looking for pinkblazing hiking broads) I find there is a place and time for them. :welcome