PDA

View Full Version : Leaving NOBO March 1st 08

catskillshiker
02-03-2007, 10:37
I will be leaving from Springer in March. Anybody else going to be leaving around then?

Socrates
02-03-2007, 10:44
Hmmm I'm new around here, but aren't you maybe just a feeew months early to be asking that already? lol I'm just playin'! That's what I call planning ahead! I wish I had done a bit of that, but I'm ok now!

soulrebel
02-03-2007, 10:48
AT will be closed for repairs in 08! Check back in 09!

Socrates
02-03-2007, 10:56

No, I think it's also closed in '09 for fumigation. I'm sure it's open in 2010!... Ooor is that when they're relocating it to Europe? I forget.

Frosty
02-03-2007, 11:29
I will be leaving from Springer in March. Anybody else going to be leaving around then?I hope to be giving the AT another shot in 2008 and may leave around that time. Stick around. Next fall there will be loads of people here planning their 2008 thruhikes.

Mammoth
02-03-2007, 19:25
I will be leaving from Springer in March. Anybody else going to be leaving around then?

Me! Hope to see you there.

Big Dawg
02-03-2007, 20:28
I'll be on Springer March 1st. See you there!

Blissful
02-04-2007, 00:54
Hmmm I'm new around here, but aren't you maybe just a feeew months early to be asking that already? lol I'm just playin'! That's what I call planning ahead! I wish I had done a bit of that, but I'm ok now!

When the 2007 thread came up, I immediately had my date in mind and couldn't wait to post. If anything, the sooner you know the better chance you have to spend time getting the gear you need and read all these great threads and articles on WB and planning a first rate thru.

To the 2008ers - have fun planning this year!!!! And be thinking of us 2007ers. :)

Nest
02-04-2007, 01:16
April 5 here. Don't like the cold.

SonrisaJo
02-04-2007, 18:39
Hopefully I'll see you out there!

tha
02-05-2007, 23:43

Leaving Amicalola March 12. Doubt I will catch you. Trail name will be changed by then.
Good luck to you!

flyingkai
02-06-2007, 15:47
I'm planning on starting the beginning of March from Springer in '08 as well!

Ridge Rat
02-06-2007, 16:17
I am planning on the 8th, may catch up to you at some point as I am only a week behind you.

Nest
02-06-2007, 21:51
Well, anyone else plan on leaving as late as me? I didn't think April was that late.

rafe
02-06-2007, 22:15
Well, anyone else plan on leaving as late as me? I didn't think April was that late.

It isn't. Fine time to start.

dixicritter
02-09-2007, 12:12
SGT Rock plans an early April start date. I believe he said around the 4th. I was sorta listening at the time... ;)

rafe
02-09-2007, 12:15
SGT Rock plans an early April start date. I believe he said around the 4th. I was sorta listening at the time... ;)

April 4 is good. Somewhat of a sacred day on my calendar. :)

neo
02-09-2007, 12:47

:) have a great hike:cool: neo

whykickamoocow
02-09-2007, 22:10
I shall be out there, i was planning on leaving in mid feb, the excitement of it all.

urhere
02-09-2007, 23:23
In 2006 I started April 5th. The first time I heard I was never going to finish on time was from a couple of day hikers I ran into on Memorial Day. From that point on, I heard it repeated all the way up the trail (always from townies and dayhikers) until I summited on October 13th. Class I day. Got to the point that when people asked me when I was going to finish I replied "no sooner than I have to"

Next time I'll start earlier and finish later. Enjoy your hike.
Peace

Bohican
02-10-2007, 06:24
I shall be out there, i was planning on leaving in mid feb, the excitement of it all.

Looking to leave around the beginning of FEB myself, now if I could just get my gear list straightened out. :-?

Imager
02-10-2007, 09:12
On 3/30/07, I'm retiring from my federal job and I plan to spend this spring and summer getting my trail smarts and equipment together, and doing some shakedown hikes. I also plan on doing some trail related volunteer work, both working on the trail itself with the PATC, and maybe helping out at the ATC (I live in Harpers Ferry). All this is part of my preparation to do the thru in 2008. I'm not sure when I'll start, but right now, late March 08 sounds good.

Nest
02-10-2007, 23:33
It seems I will be running into Sgt. Rock early on in the hike. Haven't talked to him before, but from reading his articles and posts it is something I will look forward to.

Miu
02-11-2007, 22:20
Yay! I'm also planning for March 2008, and happy we have our own forum finally!

tha
02-12-2007, 00:26

I'm leaving Amicalola March 12. I doubt I'll catch you. Godspeed!

Beaker2
02-12-2007, 13:58
The Hubby and I will be leaving NOBO middle-end of March. Dog is coming and don't want it to be too too cold. Nice to finally have our forum where we can all plan together! Everyone at my work laughs at how excited I am and it's more than a year away! Guess they just don't get it.......
-Beaker

catskillshiker
02-12-2007, 15:43
I did my first cold weather shakedown hike over the weekend. The only problem I had was my water filter froze up even though I kept it in the sleeping bag. Good luck planning everybody and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you out on the trail!

whykickamoocow
02-14-2007, 05:13
hi all

Im planning on walking the Appalachian trail in 2008, im from australia, and in my final year of study. Was looking to meet a few people that i could talk to about the trail and just talk about there planning issues, and other such topics related to the trail. I guess im just looking for people to talk to about trail stuff.

whykickamoocow
02-14-2007, 05:29
well i just read over a few peoples post thus far, i did not see that there was a second page of people, how exciting. Looks like im not the only person getting an early start on this planning thing. I was reading trail journals and saw that many people were referrring to the pepsi fuel stove. I went online found a relevant website and made my own. I have tested it, and it is so lite and it actually works. So out with my MSR and in with the pepsi fuel stove.

I think we are starting to build up a community of people here which is great, so i htiught i should formally introduce myself. I have been hiking for a few years and am commencing my final year of my degree. Then few months work and off to the United States for my first jaunt overseas and walk the AT. Ive been giving some serious contemplation to including the International AT while im over there.

All my information about the AT has come from what little i have read on here, and from trail journals, which i have found to be a great source of information.

I look forward to befriending many of you as im sure you will have many of the same issues i shall be having in regards to questions about the AT, I look forward to the prospect of making some new friends.

warraghiyagey
02-14-2007, 05:34
April 4 is good. Somewhat of a sacred day on my calendar. :)

well said.:)

Cargo Drop
02-14-2007, 18:17
Yo, Folks ----

I'm 64, had 2 heart surgeries, missing 40% of my lungs, etc. -- and am a former Special Forces A-Team Medic --- Been dreaming of an A.T. Thru-Hike since I was a Cub Scout! I haven't seen my former room-mate in Special Forces Training Group at Ft. Bragg since 1963 but just recently got in contact through the internet --- found that HE has always wanted to "do" the A.T. --- We are planning to start no later than March 15 from Springer. Should you happen upon a couple of lumps being held upright by their packs at an overlook, check our pulse and send for med-evac if you don't find one!<big grin>

Actually, George & I are pretty much convinced the A.T. will be sorta like Jump School --- just live long enough to take that next step and sooner or later, you'll graduate!:-?

Any one out there who would be so kindly inclined, we could use a whole lotta add-vice on everything from shoes (don't wanna use combat boots) to to gear (Army Surplus would be kinda gauche, no?) -----

I am VERY impressed with this website!!! Already copped a buncha articles onto my flash drive for later study!

Will be "lurking" in the background ----

The Pacer Sends!

whykickamoocow
02-14-2007, 22:01
Hey cargo drop,

we have a similar interest and that is sailing, I do a bit of sailing with my uncle on Port Phillip bay on a trailer sailor, 26' Seaway. We dont go go anywhere near as fast as the new sports boats, but is a great sea boat.

As far as equipment issues go, i can give some minimal advice, although most people tend to have fairly diverse ideas, i guess it is just what works for you.

Thanks for posting some information about yourself, i look forward to any future correspondence

whykickamoocow
02-14-2007, 22:05
Looking to leave around the beginning of FEB myself, now if I could just get my gear list straightened out. :-?

The crucial gear list, what to leave in and more importantly what to leave out. Someone once told me, when in doubt leave it out. Someone else told me look after the grams and the kilograms will take care of themselves.

camich
02-14-2007, 22:09
Good Luck!!! My family and I will be doing a few sections this spring. Hope to see you guys out there!:sun

Yo, Folks ----

I'm 64, had 2 heart surgeries, missing 40% of my lungs, etc. -- and am a former Special Forces A-Team Medic --- Been dreaming of an A.T. Thru-Hike since I was a Cub Scout! I haven't seen my former room-mate in Special Forces Training Group at Ft. Bragg since 1963 but just recently got in contact through the internet --- found that HE has always wanted to "do" the A.T. --- We are planning to start no later than March 15 from Springer. Should you happen upon a couple of lumps being held upright by their packs at an overlook, check our pulse and send for med-evac if you don't find one!<big grin>

Actually, George & I are pretty much convinced the A.T. will be sorta like Jump School --- just live long enough to take that next step and sooner or later, you'll graduate!:-?

Any one out there who would be so kindly inclined, we could use a whole lotta add-vice on everything from shoes (don't wanna use combat boots) to to gear (Army Surplus would be kinda gauche, no?) -----

I am VERY impressed with this website!!! Already copped a buncha articles onto my flash drive for later study!

The Pacer Sends!

Baum Trigger
02-18-2007, 15:41
I am also planning on leaving soemtime in early to mid March '08. Hope to see you all on the trail. Good luck with the planning!

catskillshiker
02-19-2007, 17:48
I am also planning on leaving soemtime in early to mid March '08. Hope to see you all on the trail. Good luck with the planning!

Good Luck To You Too!
Hope to see you out there!

Baum Trigger
02-19-2007, 18:17
Good Luck To You Too!
Hope to see you out there!

I read in several of your posts that you have pack liners that you are willing to part with. I'd be interested in having one or a few of these if you have any surplus left. Let me know if this is do-able. Thanks!

Leatherneck07
02-19-2007, 21:33
I will be leaving Springer about the first week of April. I'm a bit older than you so probably no chance of my catching up to you. However, If your plans change I'd be happy for the company.

Lyle
02-23-2007, 10:04
Got to the point that when people asked me when I was going to finish I replied "no sooner than I have to"

Next time I'll start earlier and finish later. Enjoy your hike.
Peace

This sounds like an attitude worth adopting.
Lyle

Nest
02-23-2007, 23:27
This sounds like an attitude worth adopting.
Lyle

I agree. I am quitting my job, getting rid of my apartment, and putting everything in storage. Basically putting my life on pause. Will start the trail April 5, and will finish by Oct. 15. If I finish earlier, then so be it. I'm just going to walk north, no other itenerary or plans. Then when I finish and come back home I can see what I want to do with my life. For all I know I may just turn around and start walking south. Hiking Forrest Gump style.

Baum Trigger
02-23-2007, 23:36
I may do the same thing Cerberus, for a short time anyway. Although I'm planning on leaving from Springer early March. Maybe I'll run into you on the way back. Good luck to you!

Beaker2
02-24-2007, 10:30
well i haven't been on the site in awhile and was happy to see the number of posts since i last posted in this forum. Since we''re all hopefully going to meet eachother at some point during the 2000+ miles, i'd figured to tell you a little bit more about myself:
I just turned 24 and will be hiking with my husband, 27, and our dog. I'm a veterinary technician who has told her employer that in 2008 she will be taking approx 6 months out of her life to walk a lot of miles. i've been there for years and they're understanding and say i'll have a position when i get back. My husband is a 2nd mate...a merchant marine. he has no affiliation with the military and therefore no committment. he drives container ships, car ships, oil tankers, etc. he gets equal time paid vaca for the time he's out on a ship, which is normally 4-5 months at a stint. he'll be out right up until we leave and will go back to sea right when we get home. we will be bringing our dog with us.....a 2 year old pit bull mix. i know, i know, gasp and be afraid, he might lick you to death. he's been hiking with us since he was a pup and recently he and i have started search and rescue training. so for him, the hike will be one big traiing session.
i'm now starting to look more into past articles to see what worked and what didn't. for christmas and my recent b-day all i've asked for from people is money and gift cards to REI to buy supplies. i have a bit of knowledge about backpacking, so if anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask!
it seems like we have a nice group of 2008 thur-hikers shaping up!
-Beaker (and Castor the wonderdog!)

whykickamoocow
02-28-2007, 07:37
The thru hikers Nobo 2008 thus far;

Dates Hikers
beginning of Feb Bohican

March 1st Catskillshiker
Whykickamoocow
Big Dawg
Frosty maybe joining at that time
Mammoth hopes to see you there
Flyingkai beginning of March

Sometime in March Sonrisa Jo
Miu

March 8th Ridge Rat

early to mid March Baum Trigger

March 12th tha

March 15th Cargo Drop

Middle to end of March Beaker 2 and hubby

Late March Imager

April 4th SGT Rock

April 5th Ceberus45acp

1st week of April Leatherneck07

waffles
03-02-2007, 14:07
Wow, I was planning to SOBO starting on March 1st. I live in Maine. Its the March 2nd and I'm looking out my window as I write this and there is blizard outside with a foot and a half of snow already. Many houses are out of power right now, and I'm sitting here thinking maybe I won't start in Maine. lol, I must be crazy!

As long as your prepared for the weather, its easy to stay warm. However, being prepared for the weather means being prepared to carry a lot of weight. Just keep this in mind.
Good Luck to you all, and hopefully i'll see ya on the way!

"A ship is safe in a harbor, but that is not what ships are built for." ~William Shed

trailfoot
03-05-2007, 16:59
My name is Steve and I live in Michigan. I am 36 and I am presently planning on hiking out of Springer the last part of March. My wife of 13 yrs has graciously granted me permission to live out my dream. I will be leaving her home with our kids and guard dog. Because my wife is so kind I have given her a promise that my hike will not take more than 4 months to accomplish. Right now I am waiting on my work to approve the LOA.

Hello Cargo Drop. It's always nice to have a medic around the trail. I sure hope I won't need your medical assistance : ) I'm nursing a yr long ankle sprain. : ( It's slowly getting better.

As for boots. That's a tough conversation to have. Feet come in many shapes and sizes. We have narrow feet, wide feet, no arches, high arches, tough feet, delicate feet, and from Dr Seuss feet, feet, feet and more feet.

One thing I can recommend is an insole for your shoes. I am going w/ a pair of Merrell boots out of the starting gate because I own them already and they are broke in. Once they are destroyed I am going to be switching to trail runners. They are light and air will move through them to dry my feet quickly. With my time schedule I will be moving light and fast. Hope to see you on the trail.

I would also recommend wearing 2 pr of socks a liner pair and then a normal hiking sock over top. I would also recommend that you change your socks at least once during the day. It's not a bad idea to take a few minutes extra during your break to change them. This will help keep the blisters away. : )

Schulo
03-05-2007, 20:14

Yea april 1 08 for me I hope to see you there.

waffles
03-06-2007, 09:23
trailfoot, i will be hiking with merrils. they are a great boot for women with narrow feet. also, they last a long time. gortex merrils often are really warm but dont breathe much. i too will switch to merril trail runners when the weather gets warmer. one thing to keep in mind when choosing between boots and runners is what type of terain you will be hiking. I suggest that if your hiking where there will be a lot of streams to cross, to wear boots. tie your boots real loose so after they're wet they can dry quickly. and wearing gaters is the best thing to keep your boots dry. or you can do what my brother does sometimes. take your runners off and put sandals on. this to me is a little problematic. but you know, "whatever floats your boat."
"a ship is always safe in a harbor, but thats not what ships are built for." ~William Shed

Flexo
03-10-2007, 14:56
After some deliberations with the girlfriend...and some upcoming delibrations with my boss ;)

I am in for 2008 with a planned starting date of May 6th headed northbound.

I probably won't be able to make it the whole way due to a limited number of days off from work. (I may just have to quit my job.) I should be able to stretch out my summer through the end of August. We will see how those deliberations go...

To do the whole hike I will have to push it at 20+ miles per day. I know I can put in that many miles a day, but with bad weather and other unexpected delays I will be happy to make it through Pennsylvania.

Some people might think that I will be walking too fast and not enjoying myself. But, I have a hard time finding people that can keep up with me in the woods. I get into a grove and motor along pretty quickly.

I am still debating my start date. I can move it as early as February and as late in 2008 as I like. While I know I can't avoid all of the elements, I am trying to avoid the cold and heavier spring rains as much as I can. I would like to enjoy some spring like weather. I will probably pay for it with some miserably hot nights in a a tent in New England if I can keep my schedule.

I would appreciate any comments on my start date as I have yet to book any flights.

I look forward to meeting some of you out there!

tha
03-10-2007, 16:09
Yo, Folks ----

The Pacer Sends!

Cargo,

What a story! I recently re-connected with one of my very best buddies from high school. We hiked sections of the AT in '63 & '64 and lost contact shortly after graduating high school in '65. He is a retired AF Brig. Gen. and 10 minutes after we got together, our wives were listening with a certain amount of disbelief and horror as we began immediately planning the assault on the AT.
I'll carry oxygen for you if you'll look after our knees and ankles.:-?
You won't be the only 2 geezers calling for med-evac. Maybe Tom's (my buddy) connections with the AF can expedite that. <vbg>
We are currently scheduled to depart 3 days from each other. Something tells me we'll share a fire, beer or both at some time during the hike.
I look forward to that.
Tim

Frosty
03-11-2007, 02:22
If you only have four months off from work, and are trying to decide between Feb-Mar-Apr-May or May-Jun-Jul-Aug, then I would definately go with the latter. You will have a lighter pack and will not lose time due to storms in Feb-Mar, and will make better time as the trails won't be icy.

Just my 2 cents

After some deliberations with the girlfriend...and some upcoming delibrations with my boss ;)

I am in for 2008 with a planned starting date of May 6th headed northbound.

I probably won't be able to make it the whole way due to a limited number of days off from work. (I may just have to quit my job.) I should be able to stretch out my summer through the end of August. We will see how those deliberations go...

To do the whole hike I will have to push it at 20+ miles per day. I know I can put in that many miles a day, but with bad weather and other unexpected delays I will be happy to make it through Pennsylvania.

Some people might think that I will be walking too fast and not enjoying myself. But, I have a hard time finding people that can keep up with me in the woods. I get into a grove and motor along pretty quickly.

I am still debating my start date. I can move it as early as February and as late in 2008 as I like. While I know I can't avoid all of the elements, I am trying to avoid the cold and heavier spring rains as much as I can. I would like to enjoy some spring like weather. I will probably pay for it with some miserably hot nights in a a tent in New England if I can keep my schedule.

I would appreciate any comments on my start date as I have yet to book any flights.

I look forward to meeting some of you out there!

Chainsaw 08
03-11-2007, 23:24
The thru hikers Nobo 2008 thus far ...Sign me up! I'm aiming for early-to-mid March.

Beaker2
03-15-2007, 09:07
so i've started planning the technical parts of our hike.....the 2007 AT trail guide has taken up it's place next to my bed. How long is everyone planning on taking to get to their goal mileage? i don't want to push to far too fast and get hurt and have to take time off right at the start. my hubby and dog and i are all in pretty good shape....go running a few times a week and lift and I ride horses at least 3 times a week. what's everyone's game plan for mileage?

Beaker

Nest
03-15-2007, 20:31
so i've started planning the technical parts of our hike.....the 2007 AT trail guide has taken up it's place next to my bed. How long is everyone planning on taking to get to their goal mileage? i don't want to push to far too fast and get hurt and have to take time off right at the start. my hubby and dog and i are all in pretty good shape....go running a few times a week and lift and I ride horses at least 3 times a week. what's everyone's game plan for mileage?

Beaker

March 28, 2008 will be my last day of work. I will end my apartment lease April 1st and put everything into storage. April 5th I will start the approach trail. I will finish by October 15. Other than that I won't plan anything. No mail drops or bounce boxes. Just wake up when I want and walk north until I feel like hanging my hammock and calling it a day.

Trailers
03-18-2007, 17:17
Hey guys.....

I may as well introduce myself properly as I have a few minutes to spare.

I'm Jake, English, 23 years old.
Hoping to do the AT in 2008. I've only decided so in the past 2 days!!!

You might be thinking this is a pretty rash decision? Maybe.... maybe not :P

I was teaching in Japan until 2 months ago. Was there for 6 months, but should have been there for 3 years. A medical situation came up that stopped me from remaining in Japan. I am absolutly gutted about this, but I need a new challenge to focus on, and this is perfect!

I've had thoughts of doing the AT now for a couple of years, I thought I may do it after Japan, but I guess I can do it now :)

I'm walking a 1100 mile hike through France and Spain this summer as an introduction to long hikes.

My health situation is still quite a bit up in the air at the moment, but so long as nothing bad happens in the next 12 months, I shall be starting the AT early-mid March?

See you!

rickb
03-18-2007, 19:01
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

freefall
03-18-2007, 19:12

I heard that the At wasn't closed in `08 but that only the cool kids were going to be allowed on it. :D

I'll be doing a little section starting in mid-May (08) from DWG going to Katahdin.

Chainsaw 08
03-22-2007, 01:44

BeakerSlooow at first. 7 miles a day for first 2 weeks or so, then slowly ratcheting up. I won't need to start cranking consistient 12-15 days until the Smokies.

Heater
03-22-2007, 02:58
OK.

I'll be at the starting the approach trail on 03-20-08. It's a Thursday and the first day of Spring '08. Seeya there.

:sun

Heater
03-22-2007, 03:05
OK.

I'll be at the starting the approach trail on 03-20-08. It's a Thursday and the first day of Spring '08. Seeya there.

...and I'll be wearing Sunglasses. :cool:

frieden
03-23-2007, 01:05
Ed and I are going to try for early to mid-March 2008, and staying on the trail until his hips say stop. If he can't make it, we'll section. We just started hiking again, so building slowly, but we were up to 10-20 miles/day. I've recently started hiking in combat boots (desert tan) here on Camp Pendleton, and they are really comfortable on rocky terrain. We love the cold, but have a problem with condensation in the tent, so will need a new one (not enough vent). It looks like we'll be leaving in a couple of months to hike around Europe, so hopefully that will get us in shape by March. We've met some nice people on our travels. Good luck to all of you!

frieden
03-23-2007, 01:13
trailfoot, i will be hiking with merrils. they are a great boot for women with narrow feet. also, they last a long time. gortex merrils often are really warm but dont breathe much.

I love my Gortex Merril boots. I hiked for 3 weeks straight in the UK and Ireland with them straight out of the box, and never got one blister. They are amazing!

Heater
03-23-2007, 01:35
I love my Gortex Merril boots. I hiked for 3 weeks straight in the UK and Ireland with them straight out of the box, and never got one blister. They are amazing!

I am pretty sure that Merrell has thier own brand of water resistant material. At least that is what REI told me when I bought my Pulse II's.
Not "Goretex" but similar.

They do fit me great though. Thing is, they fit me so good I can't put inserts in! I'll have to see how they work on the trail. If I need more cushion in the soles I will have to move to another brand.

frieden
03-23-2007, 01:40

Beaker

Since we were supposed to be in the Class of 2006, I already have most of my planning folder done. It just needs tweaking. We're starting out at 10-12 miles/day. By Day 5, we'll be at 16 miles/day. At Day 55, we begin 18-20 miles/day. At Day 75, we will be at 22-24 miles/day. We drop back down to 18 miles/day on Day 136. We have 16 "Off" days, and 34 resupply days (although, I wanted to try to cut that down). We'll take a 1hr. lunch break, until Day 84, when it will increase to 2hrs. The lunch break increases to 3hrs on Day 122, and drops back down to 2hrs on Day 136. The increased lunch break is due to heat, where we will try to avoid hiking mid-day. We won't be staying in shelters at all, and can have up to 21 hotel/hostel stays.

Heater
03-23-2007, 02:10
Since we were supposed to be in the Class of 2006, I already have most of my planning folder done. It just needs tweaking. We're starting out at 10-12 miles/day. By Day 5, we'll be at 16 miles/day. At Day 55, we begin 18-20 miles/day. At Day 75, we will be at 22-24 miles/day. We drop back down to 18 miles/day on Day 136. We have 16 "Off" days, and 34 resupply days (although, I wanted to try to cut that down). We'll take a 1hr. lunch break, until Day 84, when it will increase to 2hrs. The lunch break increases to 3hrs on Day 122, and drops back down to 2hrs on Day 136. The increased lunch break is due to heat, where we will try to avoid hiking mid-day. We won't be staying in shelters at all, and can have up to 21 hotel/hostel stays.

And after 2 day you can probably throw out the whole schedule and just go with it! :D :D

frieden
03-23-2007, 02:20
And after 2 day you can probably throw out the whole schedule and just go with it! :D :D

:D Hahahaha! You're probably right!

rafe
03-23-2007, 06:49

You're joking, right? ;)

Nest
03-23-2007, 23:24

What if on day 123 you get bored an hour into your lunch break? Sorry, but wow. We couldn't be any more opposite on our planning. You have every days mileage planned out. My mileage plans are I will average a little over 2100 miles within the first 6 1/2 months. Not picking on you. I'm a firm believer in PYOH (maybe someone will get that).

frieden
03-24-2007, 01:22
No, I'm not joking on the schedule, but I wanted to get that specific on "paper" to plan my mail drops, possible expenses, etc. Who knows what will actually happen out on the trail? One of our 20 mile days might turn into a 2 mile day. We'll just do the best we can, and know we can't plan for everything.

Ok, ok........sometimes I do get a little "A" type. :o

Nest
03-24-2007, 02:55
Well, I'm not doing any maildrops so I wouldn't know for sure, but that makes sense to me. How else will you know when and where to have a mail drop sent unless you have a rough idea of where you will be. It's better than guessing I'm sure.

I really don't have any right to make fun of anyone. My pack is already packed and sitting in the hallway. All I have to do is fill my food bag and water bottles. It's gonna be a long year.

rafe
03-24-2007, 08:12
Ok, ok........sometimes I do get a little "A" type. :o

Yeah, I know how that goes... I'm utterly preoccupied with a hike that won't happen till August. :D I have a daily/weekly mileage in mind, but beyond that, no schedule. I'm not planning on mail drops.

frieden
03-24-2007, 12:37
My pack is already packed and sitting in the hallway. All I have to do is fill my food bag and water bottles. It's gonna be a long year.

Aren't you taking it out for test hikes throughout the year? We went out on a trail here with our packs, and I was worried that someone would look at me like I was a complete idiot. Part way out, a guy with a pack passed us going in the opposite direction. The smile he had on his face, and the look in his eyes said he had been thinking the same thing.

Nest
03-26-2007, 00:14
Aren't you taking it out for test hikes throughout the year? We went out on a trail here with our packs, and I was worried that someone would look at me like I was a complete idiot. Part way out, a guy with a pack passed us going in the opposite direction. The smile he had on his face, and the look in his eyes said he had been thinking the same thing.

Probably not. It's hard to get the time away to go hiking. With my job I stay in very good shape, and I do a lot of lifting and carrying heavy loads. I did go camping overnight last night just to test out my hammock setup. Plus I will be doing a hike from Springer to Fontana Dam this June to really test out my gear. Other than that my pack will just sit there fully packed waiting.

ZEKE #2
03-26-2007, 09:17

I'll be starting April 1st. It is certainly doable starting then. Many of the trailjournals that I have read have hikers taking more zero days due to weather conditions. I don't like the cold. We'll be fine.

Trailers
03-26-2007, 12:00
yea, ill leave sometime around then too, i used to like the cold, but myu dodgy circulation has made the cold unbareable, im def starting later. im praying things will have improved...i really dont wanna flip flop

Rosettr
03-26-2007, 17:56
Count me in!! I've got the gear and I'm tired of waiting for the right time....08's the right time. I look forward to seeing all my classmates out there on the trail. Look out bears and mice and deer looks like you'll be sharing your wilderness with me. Speaking of mice, I hear the shelters get a little crowded so I was thinking of bringing a small ultralite tent. I'd appreciate any insight as to whether it's a good idea or not. I hate carrying anything I don't really need. March sounds good to me, but I'm down here in South Texas where it can be rather balmy in March so my classmates may find me shivering at the top of Springer Mtn. Oh well, forzen or not, I'll see ya there.

Rosettr
03-26-2007, 18:03
Count me in!! I've got the gear and I'm tired of waiting for the right time....08's the right time. I look forward to seeing all my classmates out there on the trail. Look out bears and mice and deer looks like you'll be sharing your wilderness with me. Speaking of mice, I hear the shelters get a little crowded so I was thinking of bringing a small ultralite tent. I'd appreciate any insight as to whether it's a good idea or not. I hate carrying anything I don't really need. March sounds good to me, but I'm down here in South Texas where it can be rather balmy in March so my classmates may find me shivering at the top of Springer Mtn. Oh well, forzen or not, I'll see ya there.

Mammoth
03-26-2007, 19:28
I'm bringing a tarptent. Lots of people start in March, and I've heard reports of upwards of 40 people in and around the shelters near Springer, so it's not reliable to always have a space in a shelter. It seems like most people bring either a small tent, a hammock, or a tarp.

whykickamoocow
03-27-2007, 08:43
I'm definitely bringing a tarptent aswell, I think they are great things, I only learnt about them on WB. The class of '08 is getting bigger by the week, how exciting. If anyone is looking to make contact, just to talk about how excited they are, please feel free to contact me. I've talked to a fellow Australian (meet them also on WB) who walked the AT in '06 and he has given me wonderful advice, on such matters as visas, etc...

I've also made contact with Cargo Drop and he is a great character, the people I meet on the way will be half the fun. I wonder how many of you shall I meet out on the trail, I hope it is a great number of you.

Just a comment on trail names, I've never come across such things before in my hiking days, although I have heard of groups of people hiking together giving themselves a name. There seems to be so many little extras that is involved with AT, and i really love it, most people seem to be slightly eccentric, just great to get into the swing of things.

whykickamoocow
03-27-2007, 08:48
Sign me up! I'm aiming for early-to-mid March.

Furtigan I have officially signed you up, if i ever get another lazy sunday with not much to do, and i make another list, then your name shall be proudly plastered across in Bold letters, lol...

I was compiling a list to get an idea of the people i shall have the possibility of running into on the trail. Furtigan we ssem to be planning on starting at a similar time, so just maybe we might see each other out on the trail.

trailfoot
03-27-2007, 10:52
It's been awhile since I visited WB so I thought I would say it's nice to see more and more people getting on board with their 2008 hike.

In my last post I neglected to state my departure date from Springer and that will be March 30 or 31. Just in time for the masses :) I guess my hammock will get a workout in the beginning.

Trailers
03-27-2007, 15:21
i might join the hammock masses, there is def no cooler way to have a kip

Nest
03-27-2007, 20:24
Hey, who all here is going in a hammock, and what are you carrying? I'm taking my ENO singlenest.

Trailers
03-28-2007, 04:26
havent the foggiest...

Once I've done my 10 week stroll trough europe this summer i'll start looking into it, dont wanna realise after a week I'm not cut out for it!

whykickamoocow
03-28-2007, 05:56
What do you hammock types do when you get above the treeline?

I just had a quick read of the female hiking forum, they are so indepth, and heartfelt. So many of the comments are from males, it was an entertaining read that is for sure.

Nest
03-28-2007, 19:46
When I reach the treeline I will make one of four choices. Either keep hiking until the trees reappear, sleep in a shelter if available, cowboy it, or cry.

Mammoth
03-28-2007, 21:56
What do you hammock types do when you get above the treeline?

Here is a link to the Hennessy Hammock website about using a hammock as a tent/bivy. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.htm It seems like this set-up was basically created for being above treeline. I'll stand by my tarptent, but it's neat to know that hammocker's can still have bug and weather protection above treeline too.

Nest
03-28-2007, 22:03
I don't carry poles, and I would assume sticks are hard to come by above the tree line. I figure sticks have to fall from trees, and falling is a downward movement, and above the treeline is the opposite of downward from the highest tree. So that is a major plaw in my sleeping system. Not a big enough flaw to go with a tent though. Does anyone know what the distances are in areas that are above the treeline? Meaning, is it worth relying on being able to keep hiking until I reach trees for the night?

EWS
04-05-2007, 04:36
Hi all,

I'm planning to head Nobo around the first of March.

I'm happy to have found this site, as I was apparently too wild for trailplace's admin. :rolleyes: In short I was banned and accused of scamming for trying to find someone to paypal money to, so they could order me a guide. I still haven't figured out how by sending someone money up front you could scam them, but oh well. I should've just caved into the mighty admin and bought my way back onto the board, when it was offered. :-?

I would like to say thanks, to the person on trailspace who is very kindly sending me a handbook! I fear if I mention his name he too would be wiped from the face of trailplace, as collaborator in my evil sceme. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I've read through some of the posts here, and it seems like this place is a bit more lively. I like it!

See you all on the trial!
Eric

Skits
04-07-2007, 04:00
Well if things go as planned it looks like I will be back on the Appalachian Trail somewhere around mid-Feb. in 2008. (I know it can be cold then, but I'm living in Fairbanks so I should be prepared for it I guess - of course I'm not camping outside in the Fairbanks weather, so maybe it won't help).

Anyway my very tenative plans for next year are:

Appalachian Trail northbound - Feb. 15 2008 through June 15
Continental Trail southbound - July 1 through Nov. 1
Te Araroa Trail (new zealand) - Nov./Dec. through March 2009
Pacific Crest Trail northbound - April until I finish.

Can't wait to get back out there hiking, but I first have to get back to work to make enough money for 17-18 months on the trail. Hope to see some of you other early birds out there next year. Looking through the data book I'm getting nostalgic.

Skits (formerly known as Skittles or Skittlescalves, not to be confused with the other Skittles, whose real name I think is Ian - mine is Richard)

Happy Trails:)

Bohican
04-09-2007, 04:42
Well if things go as planned .....

:welcome Skits. Love the itinerary. How close is the Te Araroa Trail to completion? It's looking like we've got the same time frame in mind for the AT. Look forward to seeing you out there.

Skits
04-10-2007, 23:26
:welcome Skits. Love the itinerary. How close is the Te Araroa Trail to completion? It's looking like we've got the same time frame in mind for the AT. Look forward to seeing you out there.

Pepper and Trauma are hiking the south island right now and Pepper said he would fill me in on what they find out (based on his water reports from New Mexico last year he will give a detailed report). I got the book from Geoff Chappell, otherwise the only info on the Te Araroa I have so far is based on this Web site (www.teararoa.org.nz). You can hike from one end to the other, but I'm not sure how much is actual trail/road/cross country.

frieden
04-11-2007, 02:19
Well if things go as planned it looks like I will be back on the Appalachian Trail somewhere around mid-Feb. in 2008. (I know it can be cold then, but I'm living in Fairbanks so I should be prepared for it I guess - of course I'm not camping outside in the Fairbanks weather, so maybe it won't help).

It isn't just the cold you need to be concerned with, but the icy trails. Be careful, stay safe, and good luck! It sounds like you have a year of fun planned. :)

Skits
04-11-2007, 03:42
It isn't just the cold you need to be concerned with, but the icy trails. Be careful, stay safe, and good luck! It sounds like you have a year of fun planned. :)

Thanks for the encouragement.
I'll be bringing my Yak Traks (they are pretty light and awesome for icy trails). I think the hardest part of this whole endeavor is waiting until next year to get started.

I just talked to a friend (Dude) who hiked the AT southbound through the winter of '04-'05 and pumped him for advice on the weather since he had finished his hike in March. He said Feb. and March were the two worst weather months he had on the trail (as far as cold and precip combined). I figure I'll just get out there prepared to hit snow and 0 degree weather and ready to bail into town for a day or two if I have to. My plans on finally becoming a lightweight hiker will be put on hold for a bit as I will start out with my heavier sleeping bag and clothes and tent until probably somewhere near Bland.

Jaybird
04-11-2007, 06:24

Nope!

you'll be alone on the trail this year! hehehehehehehe:D

see ya'll in VA Apr 25-May 6

Cannibal
04-12-2007, 20:46
Hi all,

I would like to say thanks, to the person on trailspace who is very kindly sending me a handbook! I fear if I mention his name he too would be wiped from the face of trailplace, as collaborator in my evil sceme. :rolleyes:

Eric

WF doesn't scare me! He hasn't kicked me out yet. Hope your books arrive soon.

Delphin

Over Yonder
04-13-2007, 19:43
March 19th 008 here :banana

Oh and if anyone has some insight on a Tarptent vs. a Hammock please let me know. I don't personally know anyone who has been a hanger so any info would be great! I am just looking to stay dry as much as possible, and I know in any storm you can get wet... soo anything would rock.

Ps. its great to meet cha all!

spittinpigeon
04-13-2007, 20:11
I don't carry poles, and I would assume sticks are hard to come by above the tree line. I figure sticks have to fall from trees, and falling is a downward movement, and above the treeline is the opposite of downward from the highest tree. So that is a major plaw in my sleeping system. Not a big enough flaw to go with a tent though. Does anyone know what the distances are in areas that are above the treeline? Meaning, is it worth relying on being able to keep hiking until I reach trees for the night?

Yes. Occasionally I'd sleep in shelters, but only because I didn't feel like setting up in the rain, or was just lazy. Otherwise, even when you are above treeline, it's not usually the kinda place you'd want to camp even if you had a tent.

ATBob
04-14-2007, 15:49

I'll have you front dor, leaving on April 1. Thats such a more practical day to start such an adventure!:-?

trailfoot
04-16-2007, 11:20
Hey, who all here is going in a hammock, and what are you carrying? I'm taking my ENO singlenest.

I have a Hennessy Hammock UltraLight

Nest
04-16-2007, 20:35
I have a Hennessy Hammock UltraLight

From reading hammock forums, hammock groups on yahoo, and the hammock threads on WB, I will be one of the few hangers not in a HH.

Nest
04-16-2007, 20:40
I'll have you front dor, leaving on April 1. Thats such a more practical day to start such an adventure!:-?

Now that you mention it, I may move my date one way or another acouple of days. Tuesday would be a good day to start with there being fewer dayhikers out. Saturday in April could be pretty packed. April Fools Day would be a nice day to start.

roxy33x
04-17-2007, 09:17
I am planning on the 8th, may catch up to you at some point as I am only a week behind you.

My husband and I are starting out on the 8th of March as well! It will be our 5 year anniversary

whykickamoocow
05-07-2007, 02:36
Im changing my starting date from beginning of March to mid-march. Just avoid some of the real cold and maybe see more people at the start. Got to be social.

I've started changing some of my gear thus far to become a bit more light weight, and went out and bought a new pack, it is a Macpac Ascent XPD classic. How exciting. It was a bit heavier than I was initially looking at, and has more volume, but I plan on keeping it a long time so I thought I should get something that will last me longer than just the AT.

tekiechick
05-25-2007, 15:21

I got my HH Expedition a couple weeks ago; will be trying it out soon on a shakedown. Psyched!

josiblue
05-30-2007, 12:38
march 1st, 2008, dawn, springer.... see ya there
~josi

"love is not a victory march, it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah"

Frosty
05-30-2007, 15:25
I've started changing some of my gear thus far to become a bit more light weight, and went out and bought a new pack, it is a Macpac Ascent XPD classic. Wow, what did your old pack weigh?

sthall
06-05-2007, 10:02
Will be leaving sometime in March '08 myself, date TBD. Probably earlier rather than later, as I'll need to be back by mid-August at the latest.

Chicken Feathers
06-05-2007, 20:52
No, I think it's also closed in '09 for fumigation. I'm sure it's open in 2010!... Ooor is that when they're relocating it to Europe? I forget.
The A T will be closed for mice relocation from March 8 until April 10. The section that will be closed is from Springer to Bly Gap. Other than that it is opened Sorry if this will cause any trouble for North Bound Hikers.

Kirby
07-01-2007, 20:49
If everything goes to plan, I will be summitting Springer on march first.

Kirby

josiblue
07-06-2007, 11:34
kirby found his way over! (don't tell them about the decoder rings, it's still a secret over here)
~josi

Kirby
07-07-2007, 14:02
kirby found his way over! (don't tell them about the decoder rings, it's still a secret over here)
~josi

Ok, I will keep them a secret:o

Kirby

Chicken Feathers
07-16-2007, 12:46
Will be glad to shuttle from Atlanta Airport or bus station if we can work times out.If one cost is Gas money if more than one have to rent car + Gas send me an email if interested

Pedalsndirt
07-16-2007, 13:49
My plan is to also leave early/mid march 2010.

See ya there!

Pedalsndirt
07-16-2007, 14:23
Wow, I am glad that I am not the only one thinking the exact same thing!

Blissful
07-17-2007, 15:48
Now that you mention it, I may move my date one way or another acouple of days. Tuesday would be a good day to start with there being fewer dayhikers out. Saturday in April could be pretty packed. April Fools Day would be a nice day to start.

Just crashing the forum with a comment. FYI - Met several thrus this year that started April 1st and they commented how they began with 200 others (!!). There were like 50 or more tents set up at Hawk Mtn. So it's a very popular start date. Also, don't always let the month dictate your start as far as weather is concerned. For us this year, people said wait until April for good weather. We're glad we started in early March as we had GREAT March weather (esp in the Smokies) and a snowy April near Roan and Damascus (but people in the Smokies were contending with blowdowns everywhere). So start whenever it's good for you. The weather factor is too crazy to predict.

Nest
07-17-2007, 18:00
Just crashing the forum with a comment. FYI - Met several thrus this year that started April 1st and they commented how they began with 200 others (!!). There were like 50 or more tents set up at Hawk Mtn. So it's a very popular start date. Also, don't always let the month dictate your start as far as weather is concerned. For us this year, people said wait until April for good weather. We're glad we started in early March as we had GREAT March weather (esp in the Smokies) and a snowy April near Roan and Damascus (but people in the Smokies were contending with blowdowns everywhere). So start whenever it's good for you. The weather factor is too crazy to predict.

Ok, 200 people is too much for me. Of course as time goes I keep moving my date earlier and earlier. Now I've decided to quit work and leave my apartment March 1. Then I will just hang around town until I feel like leaving. Just play it by ear weather wise when the time comes.

sushi
07-27-2007, 18:06
I will be.

Fenrir
07-27-2007, 19:20
Hm... I was thinking of starting beginning of March, but if I can't then it looks like beginning of april might work. Whats the closest city to the start of the trail to check for weather?

notorius tic
07-27-2007, 20:23
I will be heading out on the 25th of march? Same time as this year. check me on my e mail?

notorius tic
07-27-2007, 20:25
I feel the same way im in fl now going to me in 2 weeks and heading south had knee probs so i will still see some friends coming through. GAry and pepper an ghost were are you its TIC

Kirby
07-28-2007, 17:51
Hm... I was thinking of starting beginning of March, but if I can't then it looks like beginning of april might work. Whats the closest city to the start of the trail to check for weather?

I think either Gainsville or Hiawassee Georgia should be fine, remember, as I am sure you know, it is colder in the mountains.

Kirby

SawnieRobertson
07-28-2007, 19:14
What if on day 123 you get bored an hour into your lunch break? Sorry, but wow. We couldn't be any more opposite on our planning. You have every days mileage planned out. My mileage plans are I will average a little over 2100 miles within the first 6 1/2 months. Not picking on you. I'm a firm believer in PYOH (maybe someone will get that).

I love it! Great defusing reply to an ever obnoxious question.--Kinnickinic

digger51
07-29-2007, 01:20
For those leaving in March as I plan, one thing to remember is the April Fools Day bash in Franklin on April 1st. Ron Haven always throws a heck of a party. I like to plan my start date so I can attend.

Ron Haven
07-29-2007, 01:46
For those leaving in March as I plan, one thing to remember is the April Fools Day bash in Franklin on April 1st. Ron Haven always throws a heck of a party. I like to plan my start date so I can attend.Digger it is good to see ya in here.I have been consimplating sneeking out about that time and hiking from Springer to Franklin and seeing how many friends like you and a plenty more to see who all recognises me.When I was a young man I was in good shape for the long haul and I have been running,hiking and acting tough here lately,Ifeel today as if I could turn this in 8 or 9 days easy.I have been also talking to a couple of friends to take care of the home front and shuttles for me.Maybe I will run into you,Ron :-?

SawnieRobertson
07-29-2007, 13:36
If there is an April Fools Day Bash at Franklin, that is a strong incentive for an earlier departure. (Gotta time these things just right, y'know.) OTOH, since I like to begin going south out of NOC then hopping back to NOC after reaching Springer, it would support an argument to begin a little later. Ron, you are making yourself a National Treasure.--Kinnickinic

wrongway_08
08-06-2007, 19:59
March 1st, will be at Springer

Kirby
08-06-2007, 23:18
March 1st, will be at Springer

You and about 56754836437564837 other people.

Kirby

Cindy from Indy
08-07-2007, 11:05
I can't miss my daughter's 10th birthday, now can I!!!!

Besides, most of the Spring-breakers should be more than cleared out by then. :sun

I'll catch up with some of you, I promise!!! LOL

wudhipy
08-07-2007, 13:26
:sunOnce again the planning stage has begun for the thru-hike.As usual the start for my wife and I will be March 15th. Perhaps this years thru won't be stopped by the phrase " life happens". If so though we will be hiking another section and loving it. Hope to see you all on the trail regardless.

see ya in the woods

wudhipy

whatagirl
08-10-2007, 17:39
I believe I'm going to begin on the 1st of April 2008. Hopefully April fools day will bring me good luck and fun! If anyone else lives near the Atlanta, GA area and wants a walking partner to train with let me know.

kiwihiker
08-11-2007, 10:26
Middle of march for me if all goes well.............. No mail drops just me the trail and ya'll.........cant wait!!! See ya out there

V8
08-22-2007, 09:55
I'll be NOBO starting right around March 1. The weather in the mountains of Georgia at that time of year is pretty much like the weather in Maine at sea level - not very many people go camping in Maine then! But like someone pointed out, it could be okay in March - this year it was April that snowed and froze on everyone. What's a body to do ??!!

Well, gotta start sometime. Early March means I'll meet more people as they hike on by...not a bad thing. It sounds like crowds in the Spring are part of the scene until it thins out up the trail.

hamilton86
08-27-2007, 16:41
Sorry if this has already been posted, haven't read every page in the thread, but i was curioous as to what everyone is planning on packing as far as clothes for a March 1st departure. Don't want to overpack but at the same time i want to keep warm...

Jan LiteShoe
08-27-2007, 16:50
Sorry if this has already been posted, haven't read every page in the thread, but i was curioous as to what everyone is planning on packing as far as clothes for a March 1st departure. Don't want to overpack but at the same time i want to keep warm...

Oh go ahead and overpack. :)
Why not? The trail is the best teacher, and in 30 miles you'll know exactly what you yourself needs.

An extra fleece or jacket won't flatten anyone's arches, and after a few nights out you'll know whether you need it or not. Send it home at Neel's Gap if the answer is no. Be happy if the answer is yes. :)

Sloth
09-15-2007, 13:18
I'm hittin the trail March first, I can't wait to get out there. And yes I like it cold!! I just joined Whiteblaze since trailplace is out of commision. Hope to meet some new people and meet u on the trail.

Sloth
09-15-2007, 13:37
I won't know exactly what i'm taking till i know what weather i'm up against. But I plan on taking a couple sets of cap 3 long underwear, a good fleece jacket, a 20 deg down bag, and atleast 5 pairs of socks and underwear. My feet are very picky about being clean! Plus it helps a ton to keep your feet dry and comfortable! less blisters for sure.
I got a sierra design baku tent, it is great for rain and keeping warm but i'm unhappy with the size. I'd like to keep my gear inside with me and still be comfortable. Any suggestions? It seemed like the perfect tent till i set it up and tried it. The vestibule is ok but i don't like my pack sitting on the ground outside my tent. any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Bohican
09-15-2007, 23:06
Still looking on a FEB start, may be MAR depending on funds.

The vestibule is ok but i don't like my pack sitting on the ground outside my tent. any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

You could use a short sleeping pad and use your pack underneath your legs
(provided you don't have en external frame pack).

bjj4287
09-24-2007, 11:01
im JEALOUS!... i wish i could do it in '08 :mad::mad:

UL minimalist
09-24-2007, 12:01
Ill be hiting the approach trail March 1st. Will be on the AT March 2nd.

Blissful
09-24-2007, 20:34
I won't know exactly what i'm taking till i know what weather i'm up against. But I plan on taking a couple sets of cap 3 long underwear, a good fleece jacket, a 20 deg down bag, and atleast 5 pairs of socks and underwear. My feet are very picky about being clean! Plus it helps a ton to keep your feet dry and comfortable! less blisters for sure.

You'll be sending stuff home at Neels Gap, trust me.

You only need one set of long underwear. Unless you plan on hiking in a set.
Three pair of underwear is enough (my son made do with 2). As is three pair of socks. You don't sweat as much in socks in the cold, but you will likely get blisters anyway just from having tender feet. Best cure for this is to let your feet and insoles dry out, like on lunch breaks and at the end of the day, esp your insoles. This really helped me. Also laundry can be done pretty frequently on the trail.
You'll need an outer jacket early on. Fleece is not enough, IMO. I took a lightweight down jacket myself.
Not sure what you are hiking in, but have a set of clothes for hiking and one for camp you can change in to.
And don't forget the hat, gloves, and silk liner for your bag. All a must for any start in March and April. Don't let warm weather fool you either. We had a warm March then teens and snow in April. The weather is totally unpredictable.

Frosty
09-24-2007, 21:47
atleast 5 pairs of socks and underwear. My feet are very picky about being clean! Plus it helps a ton to keep your feet dry and comfortable! You can keep your feet clean simply by washing them, preferably at night before you crawl into your bag, but alas, you cannot keep your feet dry while hiking.

When it rains, your feet get wet. Your boots will be soaked through the first downpour you have. If you put on a pair of dry socks, they will be wet socks within minutes. You will not only be hiking in wet socks, you will also have the other pair(s) of heavy wet socks to lug in your pack.

Your boots will not dry overnight if it rains for two or more days. You just have to suck it up and put on wet socks, then your wet boots and start hiking. Cheer up, putting on cold wet socks in the morning is nothing compared to putting on that cold wet underwear and cold wet shirt. D)

Two pair of socks is adequate. Keep one pair in a ziploc bag along with a pair of underwear, and only wear them at night for warm feet while sleeping. In the morning, put them back in the ziploc for the next night. Some people carry a third pair of socks because they like to rotate socks each day.

But keep a dry pair for sleeping. It makes a tremendous difference.

Ron Haven
09-25-2007, 20:24
You can keep your feet clean simply by washing them, preferably at night before you crawl into your bag, but alas, you cannot keep your feet dry while hiking.

When it rains, your feet get wet. Your boots will be soaked through the first downpour you have. If you put on a pair of dry socks, they will be wet socks within minutes. You will not only be hiking in wet socks, you will also have the other pair(s) of heavy wet socks to lug in your pack.

Your boots will not dry overnight if it rains for two or more days. You just have to suck it up and put on wet socks, then your wet boots and start hiking. Cheer up, putting on cold wet socks in the morning is nothing compared to putting on that cold wet underwear and cold wet shirt. D)

Two pair of socks is adequate. Keep one pair in a ziploc bag along with a pair of underwear, and only wear them at night for warm feet while sleeping. In the morning, put them back in the ziploc for the next night. Some people carry a third pair of socks because they like to rotate socks each day.

But keep a dry pair for sleeping. It makes a tremendous difference.here is a suggestion to helping keep your feet dry.you know those ice buckey liners like we have in motel rooms.when you run into rain if you stop and slip these over top of your socks and then put them back into your shoes.although it don't keep your boots dry it is light weight and it keeps your feet and socks dry.

Kirby
12-11-2007, 21:17
Just giving this thread some life so if there are anymore people out there starting March 1st, they can now easily sign it.

Kirby

itaylor
12-12-2007, 18:47
I am flying into Altanta 03/31.

Starting 04/01 to 05/31 break in Gettysburg, PA (where I live)

Resuming 06/14 and finishing 08/14...

Mad Hatter 08
12-12-2007, 20:02
79 days left!!!!!!!!!

Montego
12-12-2007, 20:07
Welcome to WhiteBlaze itaylor. Hope you have a great hike :welcome

Route Step
12-13-2007, 11:47
March is a great time to start the AT. But then again so is Feb and April. I started the Approach trail with 49 lbs loaded and I was able to outfit the odd hiker or two at night in the shelters. I had three pairs of wool socks and three pairs of liners for them and my fleece socks for night. The only thing I didn't have at least two of (including a spare sleeping bag and tarp to cover my tent with) was boots. I guess my slippers could count as foot gear, I did hike around camp in them.

Good luck on the trail

Mad Hatter 08
12-18-2007, 23:27
73 !!!!!!!!

longwe tru
12-19-2007, 00:04
I like that philosphy....start early and finish later.

EL_Bastard
12-22-2007, 04:56
Hello all. I plan on starting on March 1. Im a contractor currently working in Iraq, and will get home the end of Jan. I dont have an itenerary, and im not a weight savvy guy, ill simply adjust my load on the trail. I just plan on walking north until I finish. Ill be checking back in and add more later, if I can think of anything to say, lol.

wrongway_08
12-22-2007, 09:11
2 months :)
9 days :)
15 hours :)
47 minutes :)
30 seconds :)

Montego
12-22-2007, 16:36
Hey EL BASTARD, welcome to WhiteBlaze. Hope your hike is a great one :welcome

ye olde shiza
12-26-2007, 04:33
Hello all. I plan on starting on March 1. Im a contractor currently working in Iraq, and will get home the end of Jan. I dont have an itenerary, and im not a weight savvy guy, ill simply adjust my load on the trail. I just plan on walking north until I finish. Ill be checking back in and add more later, if I can think of anything to say, lol.

I'm right there with ya, Bastard. I figure things that I plan for won't happen and the unexpected will, so it's best to be as flexible as I can. I'm leaving March 1, as well, so nice to meet ya. Hope to see ya there.

Chicken Feathers
01-05-2008, 23:56
2 months :)
9 days :)
15 hours :)
47 minutes :)
30 seconds :)
Did you see anything besides your boots:banana

desert
01-06-2008, 18:57

Im hoping to leave around mid Feb.
what do you think the temperature will be at the start going NOBO?

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 19:04
So much for plans:)

SparrowHawk
01-06-2008, 21:40
Heading out March 1.....!! Let's do this folks!!!

Montego
01-06-2008, 21:43
Welcome to WhiteBlaze desert. Have a super hike :welcome

Chicken Feathers
01-07-2008, 17:18
Im hoping to leave around mid Feb.
what do you think the temperature will be at the start going NOBO? well today it is in the 70 yesterday the 60 this past weekend it was in the teens it is not here you have to worry about it is the Smokies Good luck:-?

dessertrat
01-07-2008, 17:28

I'll bet you make it, too. You have just the right attitude.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:30
i will be and so will many others. would love to meet you and hike awhile

Flexo
01-07-2008, 22:54
I just got off the phone. The flight to ATL and the overnight stay at the Hiker Hostel are both confirmed. I will start my trek on April 23rd from Springer.

107 days till I take my first step onto the Trail.

See ya'll out there!!!!

:banana

Chicken Feathers
01-08-2008, 12:02
I just got off the phone. The flight to ATL and the overnight stay at the Hiker Hostel are both confirmed. I will start my trek on April 23rd from Springer.

107 days till I take my first step onto the Trail.

See ya'll out there!!!!

:banana
check back with me later my wife is going to have to have knee surgery and I am not sure how long I can be away. I will be glad to help if I can

James046
01-16-2008, 22:21
Hey Catskillshiker and everyone else, plan on leaving March 1st myself. Can't wait to see everyone who is out there. By the way, anyone leaving march 1st want a hiking partner? Just curious. If interested email me. Still in the planning and buying gear stage as of today. Thanks alot. Medic

Kirby
01-16-2008, 22:23
Hey Catskillshiker and everyone else, plan on leaving March 1st myself. Can't wait to see everyone who is out there. By the way, anyone leaving march 1st want a hiking partner? Just curious. If interested email me. Still in the planning and buying gear stage as of today. Thanks alot. Medic

There will be tons of people on Springer, or in the general vicinity of, on March 1st, you will find someone to hike with, no problems. This is a popular date this year.

Kirby