PDA

View Full Version : Winter Boot Suggestion

dionalaniz
07-18-2003, 12:13
I've got all my gear for a winter start date of late december with one exception: boots. I'm having difficulty fitting my wide feet. The best fitting boots i've found are the REI Gore-Tex Spirit II's:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12117485&parent_category_rn=4501274

But i have 2 concerns about this boot:

1. Not rugged enough for winter hiking
2. Gore-Tex, fine. But if they DO get soaked on the inside looks like they'll stay wet for a LOOOONG time.

Has anyone done any winter hiking through snow with these boots? What's your opinion of them?

Thanks!

Dirtyoldman
07-19-2003, 01:16
Your right the goretex will insure that if your boots get wet they will stay that way. keep a pair of trash bags to line the boot with in an emergency so your feet stay somewhat dry.... cant comment on the boot itself tho.

tlbj6142
07-20-2003, 16:27
Another thing to worry about in the winter is having your boots freeze. My gortex-boots did that on a trip to the Smokies this past Janurary. I could NOT get my foot inside of them. Fortunately, someone started a fire in the shelter, so I was able to let them thaw, while I packed.

Boots freeze because they absorb water between the gortex and the outside layer. You might want to spray/oil the outside of your boots if you are expecting snow. Probably need to repeat the application every week, or so.

Couple of bananas for my daughter. :banana :banana

dionalaniz
07-20-2003, 19:15
Actually, i've ordered a pair of Montrail Moraine's from REI. Unfortunately, i'm in austin texas and the only boots they have in-stock in the store are light day-hiking boots. So, I have to order, sight unseen, more substantial boots. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the Moraines will fit!

Youngblood
07-21-2003, 08:01
Originally posted by tlbj6142
Another thing to worry about in the winter is having your boots freeze. My gortex-boots did that on a trip to the Smokies this past Janurary. I could NOT get my foot inside of them. Fortunately, someone started a fire in the shelter, so I was able to let them thaw, while I packed.

Boots freeze because they absorb water between the gortex and the outside layer. You might want to spray/oil the outside of your boots if you are expecting snow. Probably need to repeat the application every week, or so.

Couple of bananas for my daughter. :banana :banana

Frozen footwear is a serious issue. Usually your only heat source is yourself. I don't have a lot of experience, winter camping for me is limited to about 20 degree weather in the southeast. What I do with trail running shoes is to make sure that I have loosen the shoelaces enough so that I can slip them on VERY easily, put them in waterproof thrash-can liners and then put them in my sleeping bag with me. One night when freezing temperatures caught me by surprize after an all day hike in the rain and I didn't have the shoes in the bag with me, I was lucky enough that I could still get the low-cut trail runners on my feet and let them thaw out while I was wearing them...but I am talking about low-cut shoes, the temperature probably only got a little below freezing for a short time and the temperature warmed up pretty quickly the next morning.

Youngblood

tlbj6142
07-21-2003, 09:49
That was my first experience with winter hiking. And, I didn't really expect it to get below 25F. However, it was 18F that morning and my boots were soaked from the 4"-6" of snow that fell the day before.

I consider this my "winter weather in the smokies is unpredictible so be prepared for anything" trip.

BTW, in the valleys no snow fell and it was only 33F. That's 3-season temps. Which is exactly what I was expecting.

Now that I know where to find the Smokey Mountain weather forecasts (it called for snow and colder temps), I'll be better prepared for the next trip.