PDA

View Full Version : My Universe Has Changed

mambo_tango
02-03-2007, 12:17
Do you ever get used to things where they are and when they move unexpectedly it completely throws you off for the next half hour or more? Now that the 2007 forum has moved... it feels SERIOUS somehow. Like this is IT. End of the LINE!
The next few days I am going to be going into the 2008 forum by mistake.

Two Speed
02-03-2007, 12:22
So do a thru-hike in '08, too, if you can. It's all good.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 12:22
{{{ Mambo Tango }}} You will survive just as the hopefuls do every year. Looking forward to hearing about your progress on the trail.

emerald
02-03-2007, 12:26
Just be sure your hike doesn't carry over into 2008!;) Notice I didn't use the term thru-hike, I don't use that term any more.:rolleyes::D

the_iceman
02-03-2007, 13:08
Hopefully you can embrace the change and look forward to every day on the trail presenting you with a new challenge, a new vista, and a new sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

Socrates
02-03-2007, 13:23
Damn, I'm very intelligent, but not very smart. haha I'm lost! What's a forum vs a post vs a thread? And why did the "2007 forum" move and where did it go and how do I get there? Should I care? Does this effect me? I can't navigate around this site very well at all, yet somehow, I survive. haha If this is how little I know, what else am I missing out on? Mommy!

emerald
02-03-2007, 13:58
I'm very intelligent, but not very smart. What's a forum vs a post vs a thread? Mommy!

A forum is a group of related threads, each comprised of a number of posts pertaining to the thread's topic which is specified by the person who starts the thread. In this instance:

forum = Class of 2007

thread = My Universe Has Changed, started by mambo tango

post #7 = I'm not your mother, kid! posted by Shades of Gray

Got it?

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 14:09
Just be sure your hike doesn't carry over into 2008!;) Notice I didn't use the term thru-hike, I don't use that term any more.:rolleyes:

A hike that carrys over into another year?! That would be an unthru-hike, not a true-thru-hike, and possibly even an untrue-thru-hike. :eek: :D

Socrates
02-03-2007, 14:25
A forum is a group of related threads, each comprised of a number of posts pertaining to the thread's topic which is specified by the person who starts the thread.

Got it?

Thank you!

emerald
02-03-2007, 14:38
A hike that carrys over into another year?! That would be an unthru-hike, not a true-thru-hike, and possibly even an untrue-thru-hike. :eek: :D

Perhaps, so. It wouldn't be a traditional thru-hike for sure. As to just what it might be would surely be debatable, probably to the point no one would care.:D

This isn't one of those blasted straight-forward threads, is it? Carrying on in this manner, we're apt to get deleted again 4eyedbuzzard.;)

the_iceman
02-03-2007, 14:46

So that means everyone that started BEFORE 1/1/07 and is on the trail now is NOT a thru hiker?

weary
02-03-2007, 14:56
I would consider any hike that starts in Maine in July and ends in January the next year a plain ordinary thru hike, by any definition that makes sense. There are many variables to this simple formula -- for instance starting hiking on DEc. 31 on Springer and ending sometime the following summer or fall.

Any continuous walk with town stops limited to the need for resupply, rest and rehabilitation qualify as a thru hike IMO. (the "H" was omitted deliberately. I'm not humble, just weary)

Weary

emerald
02-03-2007, 15:02
I'm not humble, just weary

Weary

It's becoming increasingly clear why that's so!:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 16:39
Removed - Already stated above

emerald
02-03-2007, 17:07
This thread is in a sub-forum 'Class of 2007' that is part of the forum called "Appalachain Trail Forum".

Go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/?) to determine for yourself if what you say is so! Note especially where the word Sub-Forums appears below General and to the left of hiking humor.;)

P.S. You might also enjoy this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21281).:rolleyes:

Shades of Gray

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 17:18
This isn't one of those blasted straight-forward threads, is it? Carrying on in this manner, we're apt to get deleted again 4eyedbuzzard.;)

No, the originator of this thread hasn't been thoroughly ridiculed*, therefore the obligatory "straight-forward" thread with the same title has not been necessary.

* We are slipping:rolleyes: :D

emerald
02-03-2007, 19:19
At this particular juncture, who do you feel most warrants a toe-biting, 4eyedbuzzard or me?:p By the way, I just hiked barefoot through a barnyard!:eek: ;)

Sincerely yours,

Shades of Gray

mambo_tango
02-03-2007, 21:07
No, the originator of this thread hasn't been thoroughly ridiculed*, therefore the obligatory "straight-forward" thread with the same title has not been necessary.

* We are slipping:rolleyes: :D

I am very happy that I haven't been thoroughly ridiculed. Otherwise I would have to say 'What?! If these are the types of people that hike the AT I don't want ANYTHING to do with it!' or 'You guys need to get a life' might suffice.:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 21:14
::: prepares Lysol for foot washing ceremony prior to toe biting :::
I'm an equal opportunity toe-biter. It's the law. :D

mambo_tango
02-03-2007, 21:16
::: prepares Lysol for foot washing ceremony prior to toe biting :::
I'm an equal opportunity toe-biter. It's the law. :D

I was going to ask you about that... oh and my feet need Lysol?? I am offended to the deepest level of offendedment.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 21:18
Chomp

Feel better? :D

emerald
02-03-2007, 21:29
I am very happy that I haven't been thoroughly ridiculed. Otherwise I would have to say 'What?! If these are the types of people that hike the AT I don't want ANYTHING to do with it!' or 'You guys need to get a life' might suffice.:banana
I am also happy you have not been subjected to ridicule and am in complete agreement with your comments that followed your opening sentence.;)

emerald
02-03-2007, 21:31
I was going to ask you about that... oh and my feet need Lysol?? I am offended to the deepest level of offendedment.

I expect Dino was after me unless I misunderstood her remark.

emerald
02-03-2007, 21:33
Chomp

:-? Not really. Somehow I expected the experience to be more satisfying.

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 21:37
So that means everyone that started BEFORE 1/1/07 and is on the trail now is NOT a thru hiker?

Seems to me anybody that walks the entire AT in either (or many - flip flop) directions, even if it includes doing so in different calendar years is a thru-hiker. I have to side with the ATC on this. There are 2000 milers and those yet to complete the trail. Those who would apply some other standard just don't "get" the intent of the trail.

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 21:38
Chomp

My talons needed trimming anyway.:cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 21:39
The Lysol was for Shades of Gray.... the Chomp was for Manbo Tango - her delicate feet don't need Lysol.

::: nibble on buzzard's talons :::

emerald
02-03-2007, 21:45
The Lysol was for Shades of Gray.... the Chomp was for Manbo Tango - her delicate feet don't need Lysol.

You bit mambo tango? I never even met her, but now I'm offended!:mad: Well, unless it was some sort of a good luck bite?:confused: In that case, I'm sure I don't get all this biting business.:rolleyes: I'm outta here!

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 21:51
...'You guys need to get a life' might suffice.:banana

'You guys need to get a life' is unfortunately pretty accurate. But cut us new New England buzzards a break, it's freakin cold outside.

mambo_tango
02-03-2007, 21:52

Ok you have made up for it:D . I do feel better now... strangely.

mambo_tango
02-03-2007, 21:53
You bit mambo tango? I never even met her, but now I'm offended!:mad: Well, unless it was some sort of a good luck bite?:confused: In that case, I'm sure I don't get all this biting business.:rolleyes: I'm outta here!

I am one of the sweetest girls you could meet!;)

mambo_tango
02-03-2007, 21:55
'You guys need to get a life' is unfortunately pretty accurate. But cut us new New England buzzards a break, it's freakin cold outside.

How about this? For every...uh.. not nice? thing you say you have to pay 2 compliments to the person in question.:D

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 21:55
... I'm sure I don't get all this biting business.:rolleyes:

Obvious oral fixation.:bse :D

emerald
02-03-2007, 21:57
I am one of the sweetest girls you could meet!;)

Really, I live near the A.T.;)

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 21:58
How about this? For every...uh.. not nice? thing you say you have to pay 2 compliments to the person in question.:D

Um, er, ah, in a word... No.;)

emerald
02-03-2007, 22:00
where's the mercury hovering at your location presently?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 22:02
You bit mambo tango? I never even met her, but now I'm offended!:mad: Well, unless it was some sort of a good luck bite?:confused: In that case, I'm sure I don't get all this biting business.:rolleyes: I'm outta here!I bit her 'cause she seemed to be feeling left out. A good nibble can really make your day sometimes. And as soon as I get the barnyard off your feet....

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 22:02
Warm today. 15 degrees on the deck as we speak.

emerald
02-03-2007, 22:09
Would have expected you'd say lower.

24°F here now, headed for a low of 12°F

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday's lows 5, 3 and 5
°F respectively.

emerald
02-03-2007, 22:15
I bit her 'cause she seemed to be feeling left out.

Okay, I understand now.:o

And as soon as I get the barnyard off your feet....

I just wanted you to bite the buzzard! What he had on his feet was worse!:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-03-2007, 22:19
::: :eek: coughs, sputters, rinse mouth with Listerine :::

emerald
02-03-2007, 22:24
::: :eek: coughs, sputters, rinse mouth with Listerine :::

Serves you right!:D

4eyedbuzzard
02-03-2007, 22:35
I just wanted you to bite the buzzard! What he had on his feet was worse!:eek:

Just some sawdust in the talons - no hiker toe cheese:) (putting in new laminate floor on "the porch" - more like a 4 season room)

Temps have been mild here the past few days as we had some much needed snow. Supposed to drop below zero by tomorrow a.m.

mambo_tango
02-03-2007, 22:51
Where my boyfriend goes to school (Grand Rapids) some cops went around campus and said that no one was leaving the city. They closed down the highways after a 90 car pile up by the airport. It is crazy windy and winter finally took it's dump on us.

emerald
02-03-2007, 22:58
Just some sawdust in the talons - no hiker toe cheese:) (putting in new laminate floor on "the porch" - more like a 4 season room)

A little saw dust never hurt anyone. That Dino must have thought you were scavenging today from her reaction.:D

emerald
02-03-2007, 23:48
Where my boyfriend goes to school (Grand Rapids) some cops went around campus and said that no one was leaving the city. They closed down the highways after a 90 car pile up by the airport. It is crazy windy and winter finally took it's dump on us.

Those lake-effect pile-ups are nasty! How many people injured? It must have been quite some time just to clear the Interstate.

My sister lived in Grand Rapids for maybe it was 2 or 3 years. I enjoyed the Great Lakes, but I don't think I'd like commuting in lake-effect snow storms.

Blissful
02-04-2007, 00:40
Wow, I guess this means we are official since we top the list! I'm nursing a sore ankle - we did a precursor for the Approach Trail today (in VA) - Tye River up the Priest and down this ice strewn trail by Crabtree Falls in practically the cover of darkness. Not to say I will hike THAT late on the Approach by any means, but I was glad to get out there with my backpack and hike 3,000 ft and close to ten miles. Whew.

We had calazones to celebrate. :)

And Yak Trax are GREAT in icy snow (not pure ice, but an icier snow). For early NOBO starters they are a must, IMO.

Blue Jay
02-04-2007, 00:44

That is exactly what that means. Also if you take 365 days plus one micro second you are banned forever from being a thruhiker. Also if your foot leaves the trail for even one microsecond, unless you are going to a post office or MacDonald's. There are thousands of other rules, most of them outside the hearing range of humans that can ban you from becoming a thruhiker. Extreme purists rule.

Blissful
02-04-2007, 00:50
We met a couple today on the trail who said they thru hiked in 2004. Then I found out they thru hiked from GA to VA and are section hiking the rest. But in their eyes they did thru hike the AT - from Georgia to Virginia. Sounds good to me.

emerald
02-04-2007, 00:56
Wow, I guess this means we are official since we top the list! I'm nursing a sore ankle - we did a precursor for the Approach Trail today (in VA) - Tye River up the Priest and down this ice strewn trail by Crabtree Falls in practically the cover of darkness. Not to say I will hike THAT late on the Approach by any means, but I was glad to get out there with my backpack and hike 3,000 ft and close to ten miles. Whew.

We had calazones to celebrate. :)

And Yak Trax are GREAT in icy snow (not pure ice, but an icier snow). For early NOBO starters they are a must, IMO.

You are either a great story teller, an awesome hiker or maybe both! If you did that with the full pack you said you would carry, The Approach Trail will be no match for you!;)

I guess I'll need to reserve a particular place we discussed for 2 hikers from Virginia.

Mags
02-04-2007, 01:36
it feels SERIOUS somehow. Like this is IT. End of the LINE!

Naah...just a new beginning. :)

If I can give any advice, it is that you will find those blazes just don't lead north from Springer, but possibly to a new life and a way of looking at things.

I'd done many miles since I left Springer almost nine years ago.

But nothing will replace that feeling of that first step when I left Springer. Nothing will compare to that feeling when I walked north on the trail and that I was making a dream a reality.

I'm envious of you and anyone on their first first thru-hike.

It is a heady feeling. Savor every moment. And never forget that feeling of exhiliration and contenment when you take your first step on the Appalachian Trail.

The AT is not just 2175 miles of hiking...it is 2175 miles of memories you will not forget.

***Cold and windy here in Boulder. Up high it was even worse! But, in the trees it was great. Awesome 10 miles ski tour today. Damn...I love ski touring. And I do another 7-8 miles tomorrow. Hoo yeah! :)

Disney
02-04-2007, 04:22
It is a heady feeling. Savor every moment. And never forget that feeling of exhiliration and contenment when you take your first step on the Appalachian Trail.

True. Of course it didn't slam home until my first night. It was like Morgan Freeman's bit about the first night in Shawshank Redemption.

The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in naked as the day you were born, skin burning and half blind from that delousing **** they throw on you, and when they put you in that cell... and those bars slam home... that's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it.

Except in a good way.

The first night's the wierdest, no doubt about it. You stop walking after less than 10 feeling like you've done 30. Body stinking and half dead from dehydration because the water source went dry. And when you drop that pack, and it slams on the wood of the shelter... that's when you know it's for real. An old life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to do your own thing.

Good luck 07.

the_iceman
02-04-2007, 13:19
Damn Disney, sounds like you a hard start. Did you make it?

mambo_tango
02-04-2007, 15:12
Those lake-effect pile-ups are nasty! How many people injured? It must have been quite some time just to clear the Interstate.

My sister lived in Grand Rapids for maybe it was 2 or 3 years. I enjoyed the Great Lakes, but I don't think I'd like commuting in lake-effect snow storms.

There were quite a few injured and a couple in critical condition. Took 'em over 2 hours to clean up the mess (it was on boths sides of the interstate caused by semi-trucks jack-knifing). I hate commuting in this dumb weather too.. I live in the middle of the 'snowbelt'.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-04-2007, 15:26
A little saw dust never hurt anyone. That Dino must have thought you were scavenging today from her reaction.:D::: drops dino scat on Shades of Gray's toes :p :::

emerald
02-04-2007, 16:42
::: drops dino scat on Shades of Gray's toes :p :::

I don't get all this biting business.Obvious oral fixation.

Seems someone is now reverting to an earlier stage of development.:D

Cease with this juvenile behavior or I will be forced to taunt you again!:rolleyes:

emerald
02-04-2007, 16:48
Better yet, I'll simply ignore comments such as those quoted at the top of my last post beginning this instant.:rolleyes:

mambo_tango
02-04-2007, 17:10
So what happened to all the 2006 threads? Are they gone?

emerald
02-04-2007, 18:45
So what happened to all the 2006 threads? Are they gone?

The Class of 2006 threads (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=409) are now at the bottom of Appalachian Trail Forums above Polls/Voting. You may need to scroll down to view them.

Blissful
02-04-2007, 21:57
You are either a great story teller, an awesome hiker or maybe both! If you did that with the full pack you said you would carry, The Approach Trail will be no match for you!;)

I guess I'll need to reserve a particular place we discussed for 2 hikers from Virginia.

Actually, it'd better be true...'cause I sure feel it today with very sore legs. My pack weight will probably be five to six pounds more than I carried on that hike, though. Paul B. had the food for just the day and my three liter hydration bag was only half filled. It was a start, though.

BTW - Looking forward to PA...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-04-2007, 22:10
WTG Blissfull and Paul B.
::: rubs warm oil on Blissful's sore legs :::

emerald
02-04-2007, 22:18
I sure feel it today with very sore legs. It was a start, though.

Well, you asked for it, didn't you?:rolleyes: If you had doubts, you now have your answer!;)

You will do just fine, one day at a time.:)

emerald
02-04-2007, 22:31
My pack weight will probably be five to six pounds more than I carried on that hike, though.

Maybe so, but I bet The Priest will still be easier next time.

mambo_tango
02-06-2007, 14:34
Well... I put my notice in yesterday at work. March 22nd is my last day!

Blissful
02-06-2007, 15:12
Congrats, Mambo.

Well I'm gonna have a fun hike. My editor wants me to do galleys for three books and two novellas en route. Sure! I only hope I can get it to work out so I do them when I have a lull - like when I'm home for four days in May and for a few days at my in-laws up in NY. Or I'll be doing them in a shelter long hand.

Fannypack
02-06-2007, 15:33
Congrats, Mambo.

Well I'm gonna have a fun hike. My editor wants me to do galleys for three books and two novellas en route. Sure! I only hope I can get it to work out so I do them when I have a lull - like when I'm home for four days in May and for a few days at my in-laws up in NY. Or I'll be doing them in a shelter long hand.
galleys ??? does this mean u are a writer?

mambo_tango
02-13-2007, 02:07
{{{ Mambo Tango }}} You will survive just as the hopefuls do every year. Looking forward to hearing about your progress on the trail.

I finally got my 3 entries on Trail Journals up. Wow. I have been planning this for over a year. I guess I am just lazy like that.

emerald
02-13-2007, 16:13
I finally got my 3 entries on Trail Journals up.

Best wishes for a wondrous journey. Send me your journal's link, so I can follow your progress if you don't want to post it here.

weary
02-13-2007, 17:20
::: drops dino scat on Shades of Gray's toes :p :::
Remember to put a note on your refrigerator so you won't forget and nibble those shaded toes.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-13-2007, 17:30
::: soaks Shades feet in Lysol - life without nibbing on Shades toes would be too hard to bear :::

emerald
02-13-2007, 19:34
Nibble on my toes? I'll wear heavy socks and hike for about a week without changing them! That will cure you.:eek:

Think about it, Dino! You don't want any parts of that. Need I point out, my feet sweat a lot?:D

Blissful
02-13-2007, 23:10
galleys ??? does this mean u are a writer?

Yep. I write novels. Hey, but good news, I got the editing back on some of work today and it won't need any rewrites! Whew. Maybe I won't need to carry them after all.

Blissful
02-13-2007, 23:12
WTG Blissfull and Paul B.
::: rubs warm oil on Blissful's sore legs :::

THANKS! Wish I had seen this earlier!

Boy I just love your avatar, FD. Isn't that from a kid's dino show long ago? Lost World or something?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-14-2007, 07:50
I'm not sure where the avatar originated. I got it from an on-line elementary school module on dinosaurs :D

My son has an iguana and she looks up at us like this all the time. Her name is Alfred (he thought she was a he, but now she is quite chubby due to being full of eggs so....)

Ewker
02-14-2007, 10:24
I finally got my 3 entries on Trail Journals up.

are you using the same name on TJ as you are here? if not what

mambo_tango
02-14-2007, 12:52
are you using the same name on TJ as you are here? if not what

Same name... although my posts aren't that great. I wrote them late at night when I was not exactly with it.

ASUGrad
02-23-2007, 10:24
Blissful

Let us know when you get close to Pearisburg