PDA

View Full Version : Osprey workmanship.

Heater
02-03-2007, 18:46
I just got back from REI and have been waiting to see a ATMOS 65 which they have not had in stock. Finally they get some in stock but the sterum straps were WAY off. One was 3" off from strap to strap and the other was 1 inch off. very crooked. Do they not have a QC dept?

I have always considered OSPREY one of the more well made packs so what is up with this?!!

:confused:

carolina trekker
02-03-2007, 18:51
I just got back from REI and have been waiting to see a ATMOS 65 which they have not had in stock. Finally they get some in stock but the sterum straps were WAY off. One was 3" off from strap to strap and the other was 1 inch off. very crooked. Do they not have a QC dept?

I have always considered OSPREY one of the more well made packs so what is up with this?!!

Osprey has a great CS group. Give them a call, they will take care of it. Like any other manufacturing process, there is always a few non-comforming products that slip through.

rafe
02-03-2007, 18:52
Austexs, on most packs the height of the sternum straps is adjustable. I suspect you were just looking at random placements of the sternum straps.

tha
02-03-2007, 18:54

I agree with Trekker. I am in the process of buying their Aether 85 model and the CS has been great. Anybody can need a mulligan now and then.

Heater
02-03-2007, 18:56
Osprey has a great CS group. Give them a call, they will take care of it. Like any other manufacturing process, there is always a few non-comforming products that slip through.

But both packs?

Somethings up here. :mad:

I went ahead and ordered another because I like the pack but will not accept it if it is flawed. I also had them make an ebntry in the comments section of my order so hopefully they will send me a good one.

Heater
02-03-2007, 18:59
Austexs, on most packs the height of the sternum straps is adjustable. I suspect you were just looking at random placements of the sternum straps.

They sure looked like they were sewn in but maybe I didn't check close enough. :-?

rafe
02-03-2007, 19:08
They sure looked like they were sewn in but maybe I didn't check close enough. :-?

Most packs I know, the anchor points for the sternum straps can be moved up and down along the shoulder straps. The range of travel might vary a bit from pack to pack. Every (serious) pack that I own has this adjustment (Camp Trails, Eureka "Diablo", and two models of Granite Gear.)

rafe
02-03-2007, 19:25

Thread swerve, but definitely related: when I got my Tarptent Rainbow I read the one page instruction sheet but I couldn't find the "alleged" pole sleeve for the ridge pole. My eyes had lied and told me there wasn't one. Could not find it. Henry Shires assured me in an email that there really was one. Then I found it. Amazed and embarrassed.

Big Dawg
02-03-2007, 20:26

Not to worry,,,, Osprey craftsmanship has NOT slipped. I own the Atmos 65, and YES, all of the Atmos' sternum straps adjust up and down on the hard cord that's on the shoulder harness'. They're a little stiff, as to not slip on there own. Go back to REI and give it a try.

And you doubted Osprey??:rolleyes: just pickin... LOL.

D'Artagnan
02-04-2007, 13:54
Thread swerve, but definitely related: when I got my Tarptent Rainbow I read the one page instruction sheet but I couldn't find the "alleged" pole sleeve for the ridge pole. My eyes had lied and told me there wasn't one. Could not find it. Henry Shires assured me in an email that there really was one. Then I found it. Amazed and embarrassed.

I had this trouble, too. I'm glad it was just the backyard in the dark where I was attempting my first set-up and not on-trail. Gotta love the Tarptent. BTW, I've got the Atmos 50 and its sternum strap is adjustable (just to stay on-topic.:D)

Boat Drinks
02-04-2007, 14:22

Heh, I did the same thing, but found it before I called..... :o whew...

Heater
02-04-2007, 16:01
Not to worry,,,, Osprey craftsmanship has NOT slipped. I own the Atmos 65, and YES, all of the Atmos' sternum straps adjust up and down on the hard cord that's on the shoulder harness'. They're a little stiff, as to not slip on there own. Go back to REI and give it a try.

And you doubted Osprey??:rolleyes: just pickin... LOL.

Thanks Big dawg. I looked at the straps and they sure looked like they were sewn on and I did not see how they would slide. :-? I didn't look at it really close after that... My bad.

Sorry Osprey.

Sly
02-04-2007, 16:21
Thanks Big dawg. I looked at the straps and they sure looked like they were sewn on and I did not see how they would slide. :-? I didn't look at it really close after that... My bad.

Sorry Osprey

If they're set up anything like most packs, you should be able to move them up or down. That you felt they were sewn in is a compliment in workmanship! :D

Heater
02-04-2007, 16:33
If they're set up anything like most packs, you should be able to move them up or down. That you felt they were sewn in is a compliment in workmanship! :D

I guess so. Upon first glance I did not see any way they would "slide". I did see some holes that maybe they could moved to but I really did not look much further into it. Actually, If they snapped out and snapped back into other adjustments, (holes) that would be a big PLUS, imo. I really need to go back and check it out closer.