PDA

View Full Version : Muskrat Creek Shelter

Youngblood
07-18-2003, 13:48
Photo Link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=342&papass=&sort=1

Drala Hiker
08-28-2004, 16:08
As this shelter sits next to a bog, you'd think the bugs would be bad. Stayed there last week of July, 2204 - no bugs. Also no bear cables that we could find. The privy is abysmal at best. Several decent tent spots in the woods around the shelter.

Jeanette
06-12-2005, 07:57
Stayed here in May 2005. The creek behind the shelter is a nice, close water source. I didn't see a bear cable anywhere. Previous poster mentioned a privy -- didn't see one of those either...

Rain Man
06-13-2005, 16:00
Stayed here in May 2005. ...nd the shelter is a nice, close water source. I didn't see a bear cable anywhere. Previous poster mentioned a privy -- didn't see one of those either...

When I stopped at Muskrat for lunch in November 2003, the privy was straight out in front of the shelter, and very close as I recall. The stream was behind the shelter, also close.

Rain:sunMan

Footslogger
06-13-2005, 16:11
The only time my water froze during my 2003 thru was at Muscrat Creek. Thank goodness we had a great campfire the night before and there were enough banked logs to restart it the next morning and thaw things out.

...and yes, the privy is (or at least was) more or less 150 feet in front of the shelter.

'Slogger
AT 2003

MtnBadger
07-30-2005, 23:46
I just stayed at this shelter this past week, and was surprised (and delighted) to have no mice problems. My group avioded the privy...abysmal is a good description. A brown and white hunting dog (lost?) that had been following us all day from near Dick's Creek slept with us there, and then remained there when we left the next day. I hope he's ok!

papa john
07-31-2005, 07:30
Does anyone have a picture of the cliffs that are nearby this shelter? There is supposed to be a small sign there showing the way to the cliffs. I've been by there numerous times and have not found the sign or the cliffs.

The Solemates
08-01-2005, 09:31
we stayed there the first week of Feb on our thru. one of several nights where it dropped below zero degrees on our thru. it snowed about 6 inches that night.

java
08-01-2005, 09:51
My vote for worst privy on the entire trail, absolutely disgusting.
Great shelter though, got there in a rainstorm last year and slept on the ground under the overhang. Only one person stepped on me in the middle of the night!

Sly
08-01-2005, 10:14
Does anyone have a picture of the cliffs that are nearby this shelter? There is supposed to be a small sign there showing the way to the cliffs. I've been by there numerous times and have not found the sign or the cliffs.

There's a marked blue-blaze trail leading to the cliffs maybe a 1/10 of a mile (probably less) from the shelter cut-off. There's also a downed aircraft just off the path. First time through I snapped of a bit of a wing for a keepsake, but it's long lost now.

applesofgold
08-08-2006, 17:56
I stayed here....I have to admit, Muskrat Creek has the worst privy of any that I've been in on the AT. This one has a bee hive. The bees have 2 entrances...one by the door, and the other...you guessed it. Right where you put your sun don't shine.

Doctari
08-09-2006, 09:49
I liked it. Since it's a re-built shelter, alot of the graffiti is upside down Or in a hard to reach place. Great fun to try & read, & if you don't know it's recycled wood, makes you wonder who would write something WAY up there. :D

Great views a short hike away.

Doctari.

Nightwalker
08-09-2006, 12:16
Go to the end of the shelter trail, turn left. The sign to the cliffs is around 100 meters on the right. There's also good camping right off the trail there.

Ghost93
04-05-2007, 22:43
Ah, theres the shelter were I left my t-shirt. I like that shirt too. Oh well can alwasys get another one. -bulldog-

Pennsylvania Rose
04-05-2007, 23:05
When did they tear down the A-frame shelter? Anyone have a picture of it?

Monkeyboy
07-11-2007, 09:23
Was there on 7-8-07 for lunch and to escape the rain.

Shelter was okay with a nice overhang over the picnic table. Plenty of seating around the table area.

Good water source right behind the shelter, with a privy closeby.

No bear cables, bring your own.

Also liked the fact that it was right off of the trail......no big half mile trek to the shelter. Kinda sucks though when using the privy, which has no door, so you can watch the people as they hike by. Just wave and smile, wave and smile......

ithai
07-09-2009, 16:11
that was the first privy which I preferred not to use. out in the woods, they say :)

Rambler1
10-16-2009, 19:08
I hiked past it on Oct 9th 2009. Stopped for a quick bite to eat. Shelter was ok. Definitely would beat a rainey night in a tent.

B.B.
07-21-2010, 20:35
Stayed here on 7-17-2010. Shelter right on side of trail, and adjacent to water which was nice. No hikers came through and we got to the shelter around noonish. (It was our last day, and we were being picked up at Deep Gap the next morning.) Found a tree to hang bear bag easily. Shelter was pretty dirty...lots of trash and grafitti. Privy was disgusting and very smelly and very close to the shelter. Could smell it all night. Mosquitoes were worst we encountered all week and mice and rats were probably the worst. Probably the least pleasant shelter we encountered in our hike from Springer to Deep Gap NC. This was the only shelter we encountered outside of GA...Is this what shelters are normally like? Are GA shelters just especially nice?

daddytwosticks
07-22-2010, 07:39
I've stayed at this shelter several times. I did not have the experiences you did. Maybe the time of year? The privy was in bad shape the last time I visited. I do not think it was one of those newer moldering privys. :)

HeartWalker
07-22-2010, 09:35
I ate lunch there on my thru attempt this year in March. The shelter was trashed with all sorts of garbage. It was a welcome rest after the climbing of the two mountains right after entering NC from GA.

solobip
07-22-2010, 10:51
This is the shelter where Ed Garvey formed the "Old Pros" whose motto was "Frequently wrong, but never in doubt". Gotta love it, I live by that motto every hike, intentionally or not.

Awol2003
07-22-2010, 18:51
When did they tear down the A-frame shelter? Anyone have a picture of it?
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/9/0/9/a-frame_shelter.jpg