PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from Atlanta Airport to Springer Mt.

Danimal
02-03-2007, 20:13
My Best friend and I are flying into Atlanta Airport on March 31st and we're wondering what is the best/cheapest way to get to the trailhead. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Fannypack
02-03-2007, 20:35
see http://hikerhostel.com/prices.php

orangebug
02-03-2007, 21:40
You can also get commercial shuttles from Jackson-Hartsfield toward Dawsonville and such, but the referral to Hiker Hostel is the simplest and the best. You will have to take MARTA north toward Dunwoody/GA 400, but you will have a better time. REI is nearby MARTA for resupply of fuel and other substances you must not take on a plane.

L Tee
02-03-2007, 21:46
go hardcore, hike from atlanta airport to Springer :)

L Tee
02-03-2007, 21:47
oops sorry, didnt see this was straight foward. delete me :(

rafe
02-03-2007, 21:58
MARTA to bus station in Atlanta. Bus to Gainesville. Taxi from there to AFSP. Most likely "sub-optimal" but worked for me.

tiamalle
02-03-2007, 22:39
MARTA to bus station in Atlanta. Bus to Gainesville. Taxi from there to AFSP. Most likely "sub-optimal" but worked for me.here is some choices http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m123-1-1-1-s&reset=1

hammock engineer
02-04-2007, 06:01
How long of a drive is it? I have a friend picking me up and dropping me off this spring.

soulrebel
02-04-2007, 10:51
If I don't have more work by then, I'll shuttle people to Amicalola for $70 from Lindbergh Marta (15min North of the Airport). If you've got 2 peeps, $60 each to Amicalola.

I hope you're ready to hit the trail running! I don't slow down the car for you to get out. So practice some rollouts in your driveway before i pick you up.

PM for info.

If i'm supposed to register with someone let me know, I'm just trying to help.

---Hengineer-It's about 70 miles one-way from Atlanta to Amicalola, Springer is an extra 20-30 minutes on FS gravel roads from there.

sandman
02-04-2007, 11:27
Ditto Hiker Hostel. I used them last year. Everything top notch!!

Appalachian Tater
02-04-2007, 19:10
If I don't have more work by then, I'll shuttle people to Amicalola for $70 from Lindbergh Marta (15min North of the Airport). If you've got 2 peeps, $60 each to Amicalola.

I hope you're ready to hit the trail running! I don't slow down the car for you to get out. So practice some rollouts in your driveway before i pick you up.

PM for info.

If i'm supposed to register with someone let me know, I'm just trying to help.

---Hengineer-It's about 70 miles one-way from Atlanta to Amicalola, Springer is an extra 20-30 minutes on FS gravel roads from there.

Or for $62 Hiker Hostel will pick you up at the end of the northbound MARTA line, take you to get food & supplies, put you up for the night, feed you a great breakfast, and drop you off at either the approach trail or the Springer Mtn. trail, your choice.

labdad
03-13-2007, 12:01
Ill shuttle you from Atlanta to Springer for $50 for one $65 for two and $75 for three hikers. 386-383-0061 Labdad

jesse
03-13-2007, 12:19
How long of a drive is it? I have a friend picking me up and dropping me off this spring.

1.5 to 2 hours from airport to AFSP

RobKimball
03-13-2007, 12:57
Those who have taken a cab from Gainesville to Amicalola: how much does that fare wind up being?
Thanks!

briarpatch
03-13-2007, 14:00
1.5 to 2 hours from airport to AFSP

Unless its rush hour(s), then all bets are off.

jessebrent, have you ever looked to see if there would be any time savings in bad traffic to go to Springer and/or AFSP via I75/575/Ellijay, instead of using 400?

jesse
03-13-2007, 15:11
I think 400 would be faster. For those not familar with Atlanta trafic, trying to go north in the evening you will be traveling at "hiker speed". If you can adjust your time and leave the airport between 10am and about 3pm you will make better time.

orangebug
03-13-2007, 15:19
If you want to go to Springer, I-75/575 is the way to go via Elijay. If you want to go to Amicolola Falls and the access trail, you want to go up 400. Either one can become a parking lot at a moment's notice.

I'd suggest that a hiker seeking a way to Amicolola consider taking MARTA to Northsprings exit and catch a ride from there with Hikers Hostel or the like. There is little benefit in taking MARTA to West End /Harrison Holmes, as the transfer and such are likely to use up an hour.

Pilsnerquest
03-14-2007, 01:05
The folks at the thru-hiker hostel mentioned above are nice enough to pick me up at 8PM in Gainesville, put me up for the night and feed me breakfast in the morning then drop me off on the trail for $62.

Pilsnerquest

WONDERWOMAN
03-14-2007, 02:33
Can someone give me specific directions to the closest Forest Service Road near the top of Springer. I am coming from Florida. I may want to stop off at REI near down-town Atlanta, but maybe won't have to.:sun

Sly
03-14-2007, 03:22
Can someone give me specific directions to the closest Forest Service Road near the top of Springer. I am coming from Florida. I may want to stop off at REI near down-town Atlanta, but maybe won't have to.:sun

Directions are in the ALDHA Companion. It's a good guide, you should get one.

Sly
03-14-2007, 03:35
Wonderwoman, here's the link to the online ALDHA Companion. Click on it and then Introduction which has directions to the Termini.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

You may want to Mapquest from your location to Place name: Amicalola Falls State Park, GA and go from there.

highway
03-14-2007, 07:15
Airline tickets just dropped from Florida to Atlanta Airport. $84 from Jacksonville and $87 from Orlando-one way. I cant drive up in my jeep for that. The airline bargains are fewer, but they are still there, just takes longer to find their fewer occurrences.

briarpatch
03-14-2007, 09:16

From http://www.georgia-atclub.org/directions.html :

"Directions: From GA Hwy. 52, 9.5 miles east of Amicalola Falls State Park or 8.5 miles west of Dahlonega, turn north at Grizzle's old store (closed, sign for store is damaged). Go 2.0 miles and turn right on USFS Road #28 (look for sign that points to Georgia Wildlife Management Area on left and sign to Jones Creek Road on right). After 2.2 miles, bear left at fork onto USFS Road #77 and go 5.1 miles. Take hard left onto USFS Road #42 and go 2.7 miles to A.T., passing a Benton MacKaye Trail crossing (diamond blazes) along the way. There is a large parking area along north side of road.
Alternate directions: From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads). Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road."

Pong
03-14-2007, 19:18
I have not done this, but I believe I've seen on some AT website that the fare from Gainsville to Amicalola or USFS Rd 42 is $55. I'm booked for the Hiker Hostel thru-hiker special mentioned by others: $62 for a pick up at the MARTA station, town stop for any supplies, 8 oz of fuel, bunk for the night, breakfast, and transpo to the Park or to 42 in the am. Good luck with your hike. Pong

Blue Wolf
03-16-2007, 14:08
Is there an outfitters nearby that they can run you to?

shoe
03-16-2007, 19:04

Wonderwoman,

If you need transportation to the trail let me know. I live in Atlanta and could swing you by the REI and up to Springer.
Just give a shout my way if you need any assistance

Melissa

orangebug
03-16-2007, 21:35
Is there an outfitters nearby that they can run you to?
One, where they pick you up on MARTA is spitting distance to REI. Second and so forth, there are outfitters in Dahlonega, Neel's Gap and other places. Don't stress.