PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever, tis the season

woodsy
02-04-2007, 12:35
Anyone here get this dreaded curse?
If so, what do you do to help cure it?
Found this link http://www.munising.com/cabin_fever.html which has some ideas.
I find that a walk in the woods every day helps. A hike on the AT or some other mountain/trail(weather and conditions permitting) is a remedy that lasts for a week or so.
What's your remedy? :-?

Bravo
02-04-2007, 12:42
Netflix and Alcohol.:D

Who am I to talk though. I work outside everday in Phoenix. It's only gonna be about 75 today. Brrrrrr.

Sly
02-04-2007, 12:55
Netflix and Alcohol.:D

Who am I to talk though. I work outside everday in Phoenix. It's only gonna be about 75 today. Brrrrrr.

Hey Bravo, what are normal temps for April in your area, in the mountains, Superstitions ect.

Bravo
02-04-2007, 14:25
April can be 80-90 highs, 50-60 lows. Last year it warmed up pretty quick though. I think we got real close to triple digits. April is still a real nice month to hike though. After that I say head north. Sedona, Prescott, Flag, etc.

Sly
02-04-2007, 14:36
April can be 80-90 highs, 50-60 lows. Last year it warmed up pretty quick though. I think we got real close to triple digits. April is still a real nice month to hike though. After that I say head north. Sedona, Prescott, Flag, etc.

Thanks. I'd head north but I'm heading east to New Mexico on the GET (see sig)! With the higher elevations it shouldn't be too bad.

The Scribe
02-04-2007, 15:09
Cabin fever in southern AZ?????

i had to rake my roof this morning and was told by the weatherman that the coldest air yet is moving in tonight and tomorrow. We've already had -20, so this ought to be a blast.

My desk is covered in trail maps, books, (and don't shoot me for this) BackPacker magazine.

Bravo
02-04-2007, 15:22
Thanks. I'd head north but I'm heading east to New Mexico on the GET (see sig)! With the higher elevations it shouldn't be too bad.

That trail looks great. Yeah with a lot of elevation along the GET you'll be fine. Hot at times but fine.

OrionTheRanger
02-04-2007, 17:49
I know I sure have this. Yeah, I get to go out with my friends once in a while, but it is too cold to do much. The wind is like a knife here in Ohio. Today on my way home i was going against the wind(on my bike). The wind was so bad I went into a creek that goes under the road. It was iced over. I was hiding in a small tunnel with an iced over floor(normally running water) to get out of the wind. Thats how bad it is here. Global warming my ass.

STEVEM
02-04-2007, 18:54
Anyone here get this dreaded curse?
If so, what do you do to help cure it?
Found this link http://www.munising.com/cabin_fever.html which has some ideas.
I find that a walk in the woods every day helps. A hike on the AT or some other mountain/trail(weather and conditions permitting) is a remedy that lasts for a week or so.
What's your remedy? :-?

I hike more in the winter than in the summer. I prefer cold, snow and ice to heat and bugs. My wife has no interest in hiking and has a circulation problem in her hands which is complicated by the cold weather.

One of our favorite winter activities is watching the bald eagles which winter along the Upper Delaware River. We take our binoculars, a picnic lunch and some hot chocolate and stop at the various lookout points along Route 97 on the NY side of the river and along the Lackawaxen River of the PA side. You don't even have to leave your car to see the eagles.

We saw (10) eagles last weekend, but have seen as many as (40) in an afternoon. I'm told that the migration is late this year due to the warm weather this winter. This weeks cold throughout the Northeast should force them South. It's worth the trip if you enjoy birding. Directions and additional information at the link below.

http://www.eagleinstitute.org/

Deerleg
02-04-2007, 20:19
The wife and I have been enjoying our cold snap here in NE Ohio and in spite of the cold and wind have enjoyed the last couple of nights hiking in our local metro park. We watched the full moon rise Friday night out of a few blustery clouds in the east. It wasn’t long before the trees were throwing long swaying shadows over the snow while the voice of the wind could be heard singing in the tree tops. We’ve walked the same trail almost daily for years and am still amazed at how different it seems on every walk. Definitely takes care of the cabin fever. Guess that’s why I love to get out on the AT. You never know what face it will reveal.

Mags
02-05-2007, 02:42
I try to make the entire year a time to play in the outdoors so I don't get cabin fever inthe first place! :)

Late Spring, Summer and early Fall? Hiking and backpacking in the mountains! (With a healthy dose of hiking and trail running in the local foothills during the week)

The shoulder seasons? (Early spring and late fall/early winter) Hiking in the foothills and lower elev mountains in the Front Rage (with more hiking and trail running in the local foothills during the week)

Winter: Ski touring! Lots of it...and good "cabin fever" : Skiing into a backcountry hut and drinking a good amount of wine and eating yummy food. :) (And, yet again, more hiking and trail running ...when the local trails aren't totally covered with ice! :O)

No such thing as an off season...just a different type of play all year 'round!

(9 miles and 2000' elev gain today. Not too bad on skis!)

Mags
02-05-2007, 02:44
We’ve walked the same trail almost daily for years and am still amazed at how different it seems on every walk.

Deerleg: Thanks for sharing. That was a wonderful story.

It is indeed amazing how a well know trail or walk will continue to reveal different facets each time it is visited.

woodsy
02-05-2007, 10:38
Deerleg: Thanks for sharing. That was a wonderful story.

It is indeed amazing how a well know trail or walk will continue to reveal different facets each time it is visited.

That was a great story, same trail..different day...different scenes.:)

4eyedbuzzard
02-05-2007, 11:04
I try to make the entire year a time to play in the outdoors so I don't get cabin fever inthe first place! :)

Having lived in Park City, UT for a year or so, and now here in NH, I can tell you it is IMO somewhat easier to enjoy outdoor winter activities in the west (with 330 days of sun:sun ) than it is here in the northeast. I remember many times in Park City playing basketball in the driveway in Jan or Feb with the snow piled 6 feet high on either side of the court, or skiing in a long sleeve tee with just a wind shell on warmer days. We just don't get as much of (or have as many days with) the intense solar radiation found out west to make winter as easy to enjoy. The upside - the forests, water, etc are much more abundant. I'm getting too spoiled however. I want to be in New England for summer and fall, in the Rockies for the winter, and am torn between Georgia(Springer Mt. and Augusta National) and Paris in the spring. Decisions, decisions :: sigh ::

Mags
02-05-2007, 14:35
Having lived in Park City, UT for a year or so, and now here in NH, I can tell you it is IMO somewhat easier to enjoy outdoor winter activities in the west (with 330 days of sun:sun ) than it is here in the northeast.

Oh! No arguement from me there! I grew up in RI (did not move out here until 1999)...and I never want to experience those winters again. When it snowed, it was slushy, heavy crap I had to shovel. It was mainly, though, cold, damp, bone chilling cold with lots of black ice on the roads. Blech!

I was back in RI in Jan 2005 for the second worse blizzard in RI's recorded history. Everyone kiddingly (I think!) blamed me for taking the CO weather with me. If they only knew how spoiled I was. :)

Desert Lobster
02-07-2007, 11:21
I bet the grocery stores ran out of stock the day before that blizzard in RI. I get a kick out of folks preparing just like nuclear war is coming!

Mags
02-07-2007, 14:48
I bet the grocery stores ran out of stock the day before that blizzard in RI. I get a kick out of folks preparing just like nuclear war is coming!

At least in RI, it is memories of the "Blizzard of 78" (http://riroads.com/archive/blizzard.htm). Milk, eggs and bread go quickly.

God knows why! :)

I was not quite four, so my memories are a bit fuzzy (go figure!), but I do know my Mom was 8mos pregnant with my brother at the time. :O I also have memories of Dad taking my sled to the grocery store to buy groceries. It was ~1 mile or so away and opened. Luckily, we had a Franklin stove at the time and did not lack for warmth.

OK..enough 30 yr old memories! :)

woodsy
02-07-2007, 14:54
Here is another link related to Cabin Fever: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

It is more likely to affect people like me living in Northern Climates where short days and cooold climates keep people Cabin bound and off the trail.:(
Yes, I am affected:eek: