PDA

View Full Version : Rock Gap Shelter

Youngblood
07-18-2003, 13:57
Photo Link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1193&papass=&sort=1

Lilred
09-20-2004, 19:51
Does anyone know how far Hwy 64 is from Rock Gap Shelter? It's nine miles to the next shelter but the trail crosses 64 somewhere between the two. Also, does anyone know if there are any camping sites north of Rock Gap shelter? Thanks for any help.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2004, 19:57
3.8 miles from the shelter to the highway.

Lilred
09-20-2004, 20:48
3.8 miles from the shelter to the highway.

Thanks Lone Wolf. I'm planning a long weekend around the 23rd of Oct and working out the logistics of a pick-up at Rainbow Springs. I appreciate your help :)

fatmatt
09-20-2004, 22:45
There is a parking area probably half a mile from the shelter, if you were maybe looking to get closer. We parked there for our Unicoi Gap, GA to Rock Gap section hike this summer.:)

Youngblood
09-21-2004, 10:55
Does anyone know how far Hwy 64 is from Rock Gap Shelter? It's nine miles to the next shelter but the trail crosses 64 somewhere between the two. Also, does anyone know if there are any camping sites north of Rock Gap shelter? Thanks for any help.

Actually, my guidebook has Siler Bald Shelter 7.5 miles north of Rock Gap Shelter.

Rock Gap Shelter - 103.0 miles from Springer.

Wallace Gap, Old US64, 1 mile from Rainbow Springs CG - 103.7 miles from Springer.

Winding Stair Gap, US64 - 106.8 miles from Springer.

Campsite by stream - 107.7 miles from Springer.

Siler Bald Shelter - 110.5 miles from Springer.

Lilred
09-21-2004, 19:07
Actually, my guidebook has Siler Bald Shelter 7.5 miles north of Rock Gap Shelter.

Rock Gap Shelter - 103.0 miles from Springer.

Wallace Gap, Old US64, 1 mile from Rainbow Springs CG - 103.7 miles from Springer.

Winding Stair Gap, US64 - 106.8 miles from Springer.

Campsite by stream - 107.7 miles from Springer.

Siler Bald Shelter - 110.5 miles from Springer.

My companion states that siler bald is nine miles from rock gap, but then it has the distance from springer mileage stating 8 miles....... they must include the blueblaze distances to and from the shelters when referring to mileage between shelters.
Anyhow I'll be getting off the trail at Hwy 64.

It looks like I'll be getting on at Deep Gap, N.C. and hiking till Hwy 64. I've got 4 days and 3 nights to do it in so I should have plenty of time. I hate to rush.

Does anyone know of any campsites between shelters in this area?

orangebug
09-21-2004, 21:45
The loop around Standing Indian State Park has plenty of campsites. There is little need to worry between Standing Indian and Carter Gap, with a large gap and several level sites. I don't recall the name of the gap just north of Albert Mtn. There is little distance further to Rock Gap, but you can go down just a few yards to great sites down Glassmine Gap on a blue blaze.

Remember you will be almost no distance to Rainbow Springs Campground from Wallace Gap. I'd recommend parking there or the backcountry parking lot down at the park.

Bill....

Lilred
09-21-2004, 22:49
Remember you will be almost no distance to Rainbow Springs Campground from Wallace Gap. I'd recommend parking there or the backcountry parking lot down at the park.

Bill....

Thanks, but I won't be driving. I'm being dropped off and picked up.

Thanks for the info on campsites too. :D

I knew I could find the answers here. Thanks y'all.

Daddy Longlegs
09-25-2004, 17:42
Does anyone know about tent space and water at the shelter?

orangebug
09-25-2004, 17:46
It is on a fairly hilly area, but folks have set up tents in front of the shelter. This is a very easy place for a hammock. Nearby, the parking area has level ground for tenting, and there are tent areas just a few yard north.

I learned this setting up in the dark.

Youngblood
09-25-2004, 19:21
Does anyone know about tent space and water at the shelter?

There are two springs a few feet behind the shelter. I don't recall much in the way of tent space near the shelter.

Youngblood

Jeanette
06-12-2005, 08:02
Stayed here in May 2005. Just wanted to mention that there is a bear cable nearby. Also a privy. And a lot of mice. :rolleyes: Within sight of the shelter area (head north like a tenth of a mile) there is a gravel road/parking area with a trash bin... nice to know if you want to lighten your load by getting rid of your trash.

MtnBadger
07-31-2005, 00:43
Just stayed here last week at the end of a section hike. Not much room for tenting, but we pitched a two-man and a single-person tent to the north of the shelter. Then a huge thunderstorm swept in and it poured all night! Water gushed off the mountain and past our tents, but luckily we stayed nice and dry all night. Those in the shelter, however, were not so lucky. Leaks popped out around duct tape that I'm assuming was placed there during a previous downpour. The mouldering privy here wasn't in as good shape as the others we'd encountered, and neither was the smell. (Looks like not everyone has been adding their cup o' leaves...tsk tsk!) The path to the privy also takes a person over a small but rocky stream, complete with squelching mud. We took a quick trip over to see a gigantic (but dead) tree about .7 miles from the parking area. Very cool. (Of course now I can't remember the name of the trail, but it's right there starting at the parking area...I think the tree is a poplar.)

papa john
07-31-2005, 07:39
That's this tree...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9646&highlight=poplar

Guess it hasn't been cut down yet as rumored.

tiamalle
12-16-2006, 21:07
Thanks, but I won't be driving. I'm being dropped off and picked up.

Thanks for the info on campsites too. :D

I knew I could find the answers here. Thanks y'all.Rainbow Springs Camp Ground is no longer there,

Rain Man
12-17-2006, 00:37
Rainbow Springs Camp Ground is no longer there,

Uh, her post was way back in 2004. ;)

Rain:sunMan

tiamalle
12-17-2006, 01:34
Uh, her post was way back in 2004. ;)

.Oh yea,I saw that but every year I talk to newbys who has just walked down there and back.No offense but read my post again,"I said it is closed now" in case a newby was making this as one of their planned resupply points I wanted to try to keep them from making a mistake.

Rain Man
12-17-2006, 14:47
...No offense but read my post again,"I said it is closed now" in case a newby was making this as one of their planned resupply points I wanted to try to keep them from making a mistake.

No offense taken, and none meant. Had you not referred to her post, I wouldn't have thought you were talking about 2004. No biggie.

Best to you!

stumpy
12-18-2006, 00:13
I was just there at Standing Indian Campground back in October. It kind of stinks that Rainbow Springs will soon be a development of vacation houses. That's progress I guess?

orangebug
12-18-2006, 11:09
Has anyone seen real development start there? I just wonder about how likely that will be a bunch of McMansions as was previously predicted.

Gray Blazer
12-18-2006, 14:49
No camping at rock gap parking lot as stated on official sign.

Monkeyboy
07-13-2008, 21:06
Ate lunch there last week with Skidster. Great water source, but no flat ground for camping anywhere remotely close to the shelter.

Nice and roomy covered picnic area, but comes off the side of the shelter and not the front, so it doesn't cover the sleeping area, in case it's a hard rain.

Egads
07-14-2008, 07:17
Plenty of trees, use a hammock to camp.

Monkeyboy
07-14-2008, 09:28
I agree, and have a hammock, but many backpackers do not, and if you don't, you're out of luck at Rock Gap........BIG TIME.

daddytwosticks
07-28-2012, 15:53
Visited the shelter today. Was very clean and in good shape for an older shelter. Water source was flowing strong. :)