PDA

View Full Version : No more Snickers

STEVEM
02-04-2007, 20:55
OK, Its Superbowl Half time and I'm not interested in seeing Prince have some type of wardrobe malfunction, so I might as well post a little nonsense here on Whiteblaze.

How many of you guys are throwing away your Snickers bars? How many are running out to buy more?

http://www.snickerssatisfies.com/mechanics/default.aspx?

Bravo
02-04-2007, 21:00
I think I vote Wrench.

They're all kinda funny though.

I'm buying more just not eating any around mechanics.

Ron "So Big" B
02-04-2007, 21:00
great post Stevem, my thoughts exactly.

Ron "So Big" B
02-04-2007, 21:04
a great candy bar but the ad spot is a bit too "Brokeback Mtn" for my taste.

I vote wrench as well.

woodsy
02-04-2007, 21:23
Wrench, Snickers just got disgusting. GO COLTS

RAT
02-04-2007, 21:23
Definitely wrench.

weary
02-04-2007, 21:58
Wrench, Snickers just got disgusting. GO COLTS
I sAY GO cHICAGO bEARS. 50 plus years ago I picked up a former Chicago Bears player hitch hiking to Urbana, Illinois to enroll at the University so he could earn a living. He told me that the bears were a good team, despite dumping him.

What better recommendation. He didn't even look down on my $150 Buick Special == the best car I ever owned, !50,000 miles for $150. Given such an impressive record, who wouldn't be for the Bears. Bears all the way, I say !!!

Weary

peanuts
02-04-2007, 22:00
weary, its not looking to good:(

woodsy
02-04-2007, 22:03
Bears don't deserve to win this one, they s**k

weary
02-04-2007, 22:03
weary, its not looking to good:(

As the broadcasters say, "plenty of time, plenty of time."

peanuts
02-04-2007, 22:05
i keep telling myself that!
woodsy.....BITE ME!

Sly
02-04-2007, 22:06
OK, Its Superbowl Half time and I'm not interested in seeing Prince have some type of wardrobe malfunction, so I might as well post a little nonsense here on Whiteblaze.
[/URL]?

Prince was great! :banana

Sly
02-04-2007, 22:10
Ah... They need to can that commercial all together!

freefall
02-04-2007, 22:11

or is Prince starting to look like Little Richard?

peanuts
02-04-2007, 22:13
i thought he was going for the "aunt gemima" look??

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-04-2007, 22:20
The male dino called him "princess'. The suit was straight from the grand ol' opry.

Trillium
02-04-2007, 22:25
i thought he was going for the "aunt gemima" look??I had that same thought although it's Aunt Jemima

I also agree with Sly that the snickers commercial should NEVER be shown again. aaaaaack.

peanuts
02-04-2007, 22:34
oops, so i misspelled...am watching the game:D

woodsy
02-04-2007, 23:06
i keep telling myself that!
woodsy.....BITE ME!

You've been bit!:)

L Tee
02-04-2007, 23:45
I almost thru up. then almost spit what i was drinking out in laughter. I say thats a good commercial to go through that string of emotions.

dperry
02-05-2007, 00:01
or is Prince starting to look like Little Richard?

Well, Little Richard pretty much was what Prince is now.

weary
02-05-2007, 12:27
I thought Prince was still the guy who used to be Prince, until my daughter and significant other-inlaw corrected me. Life is increasingly confusing. Anyway, I liked Prince better when he didn't have a name -- and I rarely had to hear him.

Weary

fonsie
02-05-2007, 12:52
Well his outfit looked gay but that brother can play a mean Guitar.

Heater
02-05-2007, 13:29

Yes he was. Give that man a Snickers. :)

Heater
02-05-2007, 13:32
I thought Prince was still the guy who used to be Prince, until my daughter and significant other-inlaw corrected me. Life is increasingly confusing.

Yeah. :confused:

I think that was before he became a Jehova's Witness.

Sly
02-05-2007, 13:40
Wasn't it, "The artist formerly known as Prince"? Yes, yes, I think it was! His symbol was displayed on stage.

The wiki ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)

MOWGLI
02-05-2007, 13:54
Wasn't it, "The artist formerly known as Prince"? Yes, yes, I think it was! His symbol was displayed on stage.

The wiki ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)

The symbol had everything to do with a dispute Prince had with his record company. That was Prince's very creative way of causing a marketing mess for his record company. I think that's what I heard anyway. SOmeone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sly
02-05-2007, 13:59
The symbol had everything to do with a dispute Prince had with his record company. That was Prince's very creative way of causing a marketing mess for his record company. I think that's what I heard anyway. SOmeone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's pretty much what it said in the article. I didn't realize it until now but one of his guitars was also his symbol.

I never did listen to him much, but I may start.

orangebug
02-05-2007, 14:22
I thought Prince was going for the Lucille Ball look.

However, was it only my party that guffawed at the shadow casting of the "arrow" and Prince? It certainly reminded us of a wardrobe malfunction reaction.

STEVEM
02-05-2007, 15:06
His music was actually quite good. I've always had a bad attitude relative to Prince, he's just a little too "Michael Jackson" for me. But who am I to say?

Like most hikers, I'm fairly certain that he packs a Snickers Bar occasionally.

Sly
02-05-2007, 15:12
MJ wasn't too bad until he started getting all weird. Also, I could be wrong, but I can't recall him ever playing an instrument. He could certainly sing and dance though.

IMO, Prince wins this one.

rhjanes
02-05-2007, 15:15
Prince did one of the better HT shows in years.

The commercials were mostly, lame. What was up with the half naked, fat, white guys, mobbing over some Chevy with girls in it? :eek:

Outlaw
02-05-2007, 15:30
However, was it only my party that guffawed at the shadow casting of the "arrow" and Prince? It certainly reminded us of a wardrobe malfunction reaction.

We had the same reaction. That was some guffaw! Someone apparently didn't check that during rehearsals, either that or they did it with a different guitar. ROFLMAO!

Sly
02-05-2007, 15:32
We had the same reaction. That was some guffaw! Someone apparently didn't check that during rehearsals, either that or they did it with a different guitar. ROFLMAO!

I'm a little slow on this one. What happened?

Heater
02-05-2007, 15:41
I'm a little slow on this one. What happened?

Well. I think they are talking about the silhouette behind the white curtain of him wearing that guitar with the arrow kinda pointing upward at mid-waist level.

:D

Heater
02-05-2007, 15:47
Well. I think they are talking about the silhouette behind the white curtain of him wearing that guitar with the arrow kinda pointing upward at mid-waist level.

:D

This guitar.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/Prince_1995_With_Guitar.sized.jpg

Sly
02-05-2007, 15:49

:eek: , I never gave it that much thought.

orangebug
02-05-2007, 15:52
Similar guitar, but the curved section was tipped by an arrow. Depending how the shadow was cast, it either appeared as a demon's tail (such as Rolling Stones female demon) or something a bit more phallic.

I suspect that it was very well rehearsed given the money and effort to make sure the blown sheet went up in spite of the rain.

Heater
02-05-2007, 15:57
I suspect that it was very well rehearsed given the money and effort to make sure the blown sheet went up in spite of the rain.

Prince's response to the Janet Jackson thing, no doubt. What great artistry. ;)

Hana_Hanger
02-05-2007, 16:23
He and his wife live here on Maui part time...it is all part of his act...for sure not gay!

Sly
02-06-2007, 06:49
For those of you that missed Prince's halftime show...

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/music/articles/_a/no-malfunction-as-prince-rocks-halftime/20070205070509990001

Sly
02-06-2007, 07:03
LOL... One needs to click on slides 3 and 11 to catch what didn't seem overtly obvious to me at the time. :o :eek: :banana

STEVEM
02-06-2007, 07:37
LOL... One needs to click on slides 3 and 11 to catch what didn't seem overtly obvious to me at the time. :o :eek: :banana

A flashback from "Blazing Saddles". "IT'S TWOO, IT'S TWOO".

Jimmers
02-06-2007, 07:44
My group noticed the shadow too. :DI've always liked Prince, but I really like him now that he got this past the FCC censors. So much worse (and by worse, I mean better) than the Janet Jackson mess.

STEVEM
02-07-2007, 23:42
One final post on this subject. I just heard on the MSNBC "Countdown" show that Mars Inc. the company that manufactures the Snickers Bar has been forced to withdraw their television and internet "mechanic ads" due to the objections of gay, religious and family groups. The NFL is also saying that the ads were inappropriate during family viewing time, and that they were run as a complete surprise to the NFL. I would expect Mars Inc. to issue an apology to the families of America very soon. Surely some group or individual will sue Mars Inc., and the whole matter will be settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. Score another one for the PC police.

I found the ad to be hilarious. What happened to everyones sense of humor? A lot of people and groups need to unknot their panties and take a hike.

I'm buying a handful of Snickers Bars tomorrow.

Skyline
02-08-2007, 00:06
One final post on this subject. I just heard on the MSNBC "Countdown" show that Mars Inc. the company that manufactures the Snickers Bar has been forced to withdraw their television and internet "mechanic ads" due to the objections of gay, religious and family groups. The NFL is also saying that the ads were inappropriate during family viewing time, and that they were run as a complete surprise to the NFL. I would expect Mars Inc. to issue an apology to the families of America very soon. Surely some group or individual will sue Mars Inc., and the whole matter will be settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. Score another one for the PC police.

I found the ad to be hilarious. What happened to everyones sense of humor? A lot of people and groups need to unknot their panties and take a hike.

Depending on your viewpoint, the ad that aired on TV was pro-gay, anti-gay, or the ad cleverly demonstrated how insane homophobia is. I'm leaning toward the latter. Anyway it wasn't that bad, tho the first time I saw it during the SB, my first reaction was W*T*F*?. Now, one of the "alternate" ads shown only on a Mars website (since pulled) was potentially promoting violence against gays IMHO.

And back when I ate chocolate, Snickers were #1. Still would be but chocolate gives me bad headaches now.

Bravo
02-08-2007, 00:09

Jeeezus Christ. People will cry about anything. So we saw a couple dudes kiss and drink some motor oil. BooHoo. Whether anyone likes it or not it's a reality. I don't kiss guys but I think 2 guys kissing is a lot healthier than what's on the 6:00 news every night. And it was funny, sick but funny.

RedneckRye
02-08-2007, 01:01
I realize that the Super Bowl Half Time Show (I probably violated several marketing and copywriting laws since I didn't have the express and written conscent of the National Football League to use the phrase "Super Bowl") isn't about music, but about "entertainment".
The last couple of years have been crap, whether you were looking for music or entertainment. Filling up 20 minutes of airtime to amuse the Bud Light and Dorito filled masses. Paul McCartney, nope - just a guy cashing in on his old band and boomer nostalgia. Janet and Justin - a super quick tit shot and a skinny white guy - nope. I think the Stones played before that, I love the Stones, but you could almost see the dollar signs in their eyes.
Prince, other than the rather strange cover tune medley, was amazing. Yeah, the guitar was far more offensive than Janet's nipple - if you are offended by strange representations of the human body, but at least it wasn't making fun of a specific group of people. Next time I'm about to grab a "power bar", it probably won't be a Snickers or another one made by Masterfoods, theie parent company.
Just my $.02, not their $2,600,000.

STEVEM
02-08-2007, 01:40
I realize that the Super Bowl Half Time Show (I probably violated several marketing and copywriting laws since I didn't have the express and written conscent of the National Football League to use the phrase "Super Bowl") isn't about music, but about "entertainment".
The last couple of years have been crap, whether you were looking for music or entertainment. Filling up 20 minutes of airtime to amuse the Bud Light and Dorito filled masses. Paul McCartney, nope - just a guy cashing in on his old band and boomer nostalgia. Janet and Justin - a super quick tit shot and a skinny white guy - nope. I think the Stones played before that, I love the Stones, but you could almost see the dollar signs in their eyes.
Prince, other than the rather strange cover tune medley, was amazing. Yeah, the guitar was far more offensive than Janet's nipple - if you are offended by strange representations of the human body, but at least it wasn't making fun of a specific group of people. Next time I'm about to grab a "power bar", it probably won't be a Snickers or another one made by Masterfoods, theie parent company.
Just my $.02, not their $2,600,000.

I'm actually not sure what group could or should be offended. To me it seemed to be a spoof on men in general and the macho image thing in particular. I'm sure a lot of women saw their weekend mechanic husbands in those characters. There may however be a "Joe Dirt" lobby out there somewhere. If anybody should go nuts it should be Disney. The scene was taken directly from "Lady and the Tramp".

Ted Haggards professed cure from homosexuality is far more offensive than any TV advertisement I have ever seen.

rafe
02-08-2007, 07:47
Ted Haggards professed cure from homosexuality is far more offensive than any TV advertisement I have ever seen.

Oh isn't it a miracle? He's all hetero now. Praise the lawd. :rolleyes:

boulder
02-08-2007, 08:56
Sitting here wondering why fellas who spend an inordinate amount of time w/other fellas watching still more fellas in tight pants play a "game" where the fellas constantly touch one another, feel uptight about a commercial where 2 fellas, doing male bonding in a garage, pull a "lady and the tramp." hm . . . Come to think of it, a quick spin around the TV dial indicates that fellas spent an awful lot of time watching other fellas do stuff, sports, hunting, building machines, rolling down streets in grocery buggies, etc. hm. . .:-?

orangebug
02-08-2007, 09:03
Interesting series of messages. It is pretty odd that homosexuality can be "cured" in only a few months. If we are to believe that anyone is 100% heterosexual, you would have to assume that they have no interest in watching guys hug, pat each other on the butt, or other things that demonstrate male to male affection. The exclusive interest in the opposite gender would probably render them into J. Edgar Hoover variety of heterosexuality.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

superman
02-08-2007, 09:05
I don't care about the cup cake ads. Prince was never of any interest to me. I ate snickers before because I like them and I will continue to eat them for the same reason. The big news is that I'm on my way to being independently wealthy from betting on sporting events. I won $1 on the World Series and $1 on the Super Bowl.

sherrill
02-08-2007, 09:17
I don't understand why it's upsetting for two guys to (allegedly) kiss during a commercial when lately prime time television writers are now regularly using females kissing as a way to boost ratings. How quickly it seems Madonna/Brittany is forgotten, and that one was a helluva lot more graphic than this commercial.

Funny how nobody has yet to link it to the spaghetti scene in "Lady and the Tramp".

rafe
02-08-2007, 09:25
This thing we revere as the "free market" depends on constantly pushing hot buttons and the envelope of culture and morality.

All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned...
No news here. Move along.

orangebug
02-08-2007, 10:10
...Funny how nobody has yet to link it to the spaghetti scene in "Lady and the Tramp".Boulder beat you to it. Of course, that was a very different scene from the situation in the ad. Snickers had "Tramp and the Tramp."

Skyline
02-08-2007, 11:16
Boulder beat you to it. Of course, that was a very different scene from the situation in the ad. Snickers had "Tramp and the Tramp."

Who you callin' a tramp? :-)

Gray Blazer
02-08-2007, 11:26
I'm still giving out snickers for trail magic. I was always worried that performing trail "magic" made me some kind of "fairy". Now with all the brouhaha about snickers, some hikers may consider me to be a fairy for real.

STEVEM
02-08-2007, 11:40
I'm still giving out snickers for trail magic. I was always worried that performing trail "magic" made me some kind of "fairy". Now with all the brouhaha about snickers, some hikers may consider me to be a fairy for real.

How about a Snickers Superbowl ad reenactment at Trail Days. I can envision Baltimore Jack and Warren Doyle or maybe Minnesota Smith and Matthewski. Trail history in the making.

Gray Blazer
02-08-2007, 11:43
How about a Snickers Superbowl ad reenactment at Trail Days. I can envision Baltimore Jack and Warren Doyle or maybe Minnesota Smith and Matthewski. Trail history in the making.I think you may be on to something.

Footslogger
02-08-2007, 12:19
In my short years here on this earth I've come to know that PUBLICITY, regardless of its polarity, generally has little "long term" effect on things ...regardless of whether we are talking about candy bars, evangelical ministers, movie stars, ruthless dictators etc.

Ironically, publicity (good or bad) in and of itself typically generates a lot of emotion which in the short term ends up having an "effect", which is what was behind the original intention.

Best thing about a candy bar is how it tastes and the quick energy it delivers. The rest is marketing hype.

This too shall pass ...and a Snickers still satisfies !!

'Slogger

Gray Blazer
02-08-2007, 15:17
In my short years here on this earth I've come to know that PUBLICITY, regardless of its polarity, generally has little "long term" effect on things . ...and a Snickers still satisfies !!

'SloggerYeah, I guess so , but satisfies who?!? Sorry, couldn't help myself. I guess it's like the old saying....what's 6 inches long, has 2 nuts and makes girls fat? An Almond Joy!

orangebug
02-08-2007, 22:43
An example that publicity means fairly little: Aquateens hasn't seen much change in viewership since the Boston meltdown.

Paul Bunyan
02-13-2007, 23:15
Wow, this morphed from snickers to Prince pretty quickly.

But still, what was the deal with him and the head piece? He looked like an old lady.