PDA

View Full Version : Maine in April?

Hot Rod
02-04-2007, 21:46
I was planning on spending the third week of April hiking north from Rangeley. At first I didn't suspect that it would be a problem, but while skiing Sugarloaf today I noticed a sign that reads, "Snowiest Months: 1: March, 2: April, 3: February." Is the AT still covered with snow in April?

woodsy
02-04-2007, 22:08
There is a good chance that there will be several feet of snow in places on north slopes and shaded areas mosly below tree line. postholing could still be a problem.

weary
02-04-2007, 22:47
I was planning on spending the third week of April hiking north from Rangeley. At first I didn't suspect that it would be a problem, but while skiing Sugarloaf today I noticed a sign that reads, "Snowiest Months: 1: March, 2: April, 3: February." Is the AT still covered with snow in April?
30 years ago, I would guarantee heavy snow cover in April. With more rapid global warning anything is possible. But when I left my home on midcvoast Maine the second week of April in 1993, there was six feet of snow piled up at the foot of my driveway from late winter snows.

As I left Rusty's and headed north in July. I met an alleged southbounder who claimed to have started in Maine in April. I asked him if he had any trouble getting to Katahdin that early. "No problem," he replied. "There was a late winter thaw, and I drove right to Katahdin Stream Campground." KaTAHDIN is 70 miles inland and 150 miles north and 1,500 feet higher than my coastal home. If I had six feet of snow, that guy would have had to drive through at least 10 feet. And had it been a freak winter on Katahdin, his April drive would have been through several feet of deep mud.

I knew he was lying, both from his words and the fact that he was too fat and two untanned for someone who had walked 1,500 miles. When I broached my impressions to others in the shelter, my views were unanimously rejected.

The lesson: If you talk a good game, you can get away with most anything. I'm quite sure the guy was planning on spending the rest of the summer sponging off Rusty and the north bounders staying there.

I'm quite sure Rusty would have spotted the phony without my help. But I sent him a post card at Front Royal alerting him anyway.

Weary

4eyedbuzzard
02-05-2007, 00:11
In April only two things are possible - snow or mud.

emerald
02-05-2007, 00:46
In April only two things are possible - snow or mud.

I think it correct to say May usually involves more mud. By the time the treadway has dried and hardened, there is that other issue of those pesky blackflies. For the good of the A.T. and for your own enjoyment of it, consider waiting until July or check back here when it will be clearer what trail conditions you can expect to encounter.

There are many MATC members here who have access to this information as it becomes available and would be happy to advise you on when trail conditions are apt to be most favorable for your hike.

attroll
02-05-2007, 04:26
I can almost guarantee there will be snow. Every year I have tried to hike that early in the season I have ran into snow. I maintain Hall Mountain to Wyman Mountain in Maine and last year in May I was not able to get to my section because of snow and that is at lower elevations then what you are wanting to hike.

woodsy
02-05-2007, 09:05
Definately bring snowshoes, if you fall into the Moose tracks you'll be up to your crotch . The Moose live on and around the trail below treeline in winter and track it up, or should I say make very deep holes. Without snowshoes, you most likely will too.
A friend and I hiked from RT4 to RT 27 starting March 31st one year. This is how I know .

Moxie00
02-05-2007, 10:02
I maintain the very section where you will be starting, Piazza Rock up to Eddy Pond. Two years ago it was impossible to hike that section in April. I often hike it in the winter when everything is frozen but my wife and I went up to open the trail in April. We brought a chain saw and hand tools and snow shoes but were unable to even get to my section. We cut through several blow downs but when we got to stream crossings the snow and ice was "rotten and unstable". The streams were running full tilt under the rotten snow and everything was too unstable to cross. Oberton Stream and The Carabasset River will be at flood stage and impossible to cross. I have hiked the section in the dead of winter when everyting was frozen and except fo.r the blow downs it can be hiked with snow shoes. April with high water, rotten ice and snow conditions, and wildly changing weather is not a great idea. Early march or May would be much better choices for that section.