PDA

View Full Version : "Instant" Sweet Potatoes

sarbar
02-04-2007, 22:37
Have a desire for mashed sweet potatoes on the trail with little prep? I had time this weekend and did up a batch.

My basic recipe I used was:
2 lbs yams (yams and sweet potatoes can be interchanged with no issues, yams tend to be moister)
1/4 cup maple syrup
ground black pepper

I steamed the yams, after peeling and cutting them. When done, I drained them then mashed them up with the maple syrup and added pepper to taste.

This made about 2 cups of mashed yams. I spread 1/2 cup portions out on prepared trays (lined in parchment paper), and smoothed them with a spatula till smooth. Dried at 135* for 8 hours or so. At about 5 hours in, I peeled them up and flipped them over. You get a nice piece of "veggie leather". When dry, and cooled, run thru a clean blender to get a powder.
Portion each serving into a quart freezer bag, and store in the freezer till hiking time.

When you go to make them, add in olive oil or butter as wanted. By not adding the butter at the start, you avoid any issues of the fat going rancid in storage. Start off with 1/4 cup boiling water, and add as needed till the potatoes reach the right texture.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Yams2.jpg

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2007, 06:24
:::: licks the dino lips and flashes a grateful smile to Sarbar :::

LIhikers
02-05-2007, 08:00
That sounds great. Thanks for the instructions! My wife and I spent this past Thanksgiving on the trail complete with turkey, stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, and vegetables. This would have made a fabulous adding to our feast.

LIhikers
02-05-2007, 08:01
addition, I mean

peanuts
02-05-2007, 12:52
sarbar, that looks delish... can't wait till i get a dehydrator..mmm mmmm mmm good eats:)

Creek Dancer
02-05-2007, 14:24
Mmmmmm...sounds good! Throw in some walnuts or pecans for added texture and taste. This would make a great breakfast and a nice alternative to oatmeal or grits.

peanuts
02-05-2007, 17:10
ok..now heading to get some yams to prepare and eat....mmmm

sarbar
02-05-2007, 19:44
Mmmmmm...sounds good! Throw in some walnuts or pecans for added texture and taste. This would make a great breakfast and a nice alternative to oatmeal or grits.That is what I was thinking also. Chopped pecans would be great to add in. It is a great way to get my son to eat enough veggies also! (And if you all haven't seen them, you can get Kraft marshmallows in single serving bags now!)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-05-2007, 22:12
Sarbar - any idea if pumpkin can be spiced as for pie and then dehydrated?

sarbar
02-05-2007, 23:37
Sarbar - any idea if pumpkin can be spiced as for pie and then dehydrated?
Can't see why not! I have tommorow off, I might go get a can and have fun!
I have thought that dried canned pumpkin would be great to add to regular mashed potatoes! It'd be tasty and have a nutrional punch.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2007, 09:42
Let me know - the male dino b-day is in late Sept - prime hiking season - and his favorite b-day 'cake' is pumpkin pie. Can you see where this is going?

Rain Man
02-06-2007, 10:27
That sounds great. Thanks for the instructions! My wife and I spent this past Thanksgiving on the trail complete with turkey, stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, and vegetables. This would have made a fabulous adding to our feast.

My wife and I did that two Thanksgivings ago, except we also had dried cranberries!

This is a timely thread, as I just last evening bought a big box of packages of instant mashed potatoes at Sam's, and two of the packages in it are sweet potato mashed potatoes. Now I'm really looking forward to tasting them, with an eye (or is that a tongue?!) towards a trail meal.

Rain:sunMan

Green Bean
02-06-2007, 10:49
MMMMMMMMM! definitly trying this meal out. I always take out mashed potatoes. GOOD EATS!!! ~GB

Ewker
02-14-2007, 13:13
This is a timely thread, as I just last evening bought a big box of packages of instant mashed potatoes at Sam's, and two of the packages in it are sweet potato mashed potatoes. Rain:sunMan

what brand was it. I looked at Publix and Kroger but they didn't carry it.

Rain Man
02-14-2007, 14:46
what brand was it. I looked at Publix and Kroger but they didn't carry it.

Idahoan. I was NOT impressed with the instant sweet potatoes.

Skidsteer
02-14-2007, 18:16
Idahoan. I was NOT impressed with the instant sweet potatoes.

That figures.

I've been searching grocery stores for instant sweet potatoes for a long time with no luck. Now I'm really discouraged.

Do you think they could be spiced up or are they too awful to waste the time?

Rain Man
02-15-2007, 01:24
Do you think they could be spiced up or are they too awful to waste the time?

I did add cinnamon, which helped nary a bit. Maybe I'll dump in some brown sugar next time. Two packages came in the Sam's box, so I still have one more go at them.

sarbar
02-15-2007, 01:41
Rain Man, I am yet to find them, but of course, it might be something tehy are marketing on the East coast so far.
Maple syrup and marshmallows? ;) Cover 'em in sugar!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-15-2007, 08:16
First - to make store-bought instant sweet potatoes edible - at home I add butter, a bit of cream, cinnamon, maple or vanilla extract and sugar. On the trail I would try adding butter buds, cinnamon and sugar.

I get real baked sweet potatoes (loaded with vitamins and beta-carotenes) into my grandkids by melting caramels and pouring that over them as a syrup. I'm wondering if instant butterscotch pudding could be used to do something similar on the trail.

GlazeDog
02-15-2007, 09:41
WOW!! This thread is making me hungry. Must try..

GlazeDog

Ewker
02-15-2007, 10:12
Skids, a guy on another forum used canned sweet potatoes. He said they were good. It also takes less time since they are already cooked.

Skidsteer
02-15-2007, 10:15
Skids, a guy on another forum used canned sweet potatoes. He said they were good. It also takes less time since they are already cooked.

Dehydrated them at home? Worth a try....

Thanks Ewker.

zelph
02-15-2007, 11:16
Thinking about the addition of marshmallows makes my mouth water.

Marshmallows melted in butter, poured over the yummy-yams, a little sprinkle of cinnamon, ooh aah ooh, ecstacy.

Thanks Sarbar!!!!!!!!

Skyline
02-15-2007, 11:26
This recipe is making me want to get my dehydrator out of storage and make some! I like brown sugar and some sorghum with my sweet taters--anyone have any luck adding those when dehydrating?

sarbar
02-15-2007, 12:18
This recipe is making me want to get my dehydrator out of storage and make some! I like brown sugar and some sorghum with my sweet taters--anyone have any luck adding those when dehydrating?
As long as you leave any butter out before drying, it will dry nicely! (Just add it in camp).
Btw, if I haven't mentioned it before, you can get mini bags of Kraft marshmallows now in many stores.