PDA

View Full Version : Was at Mountain Xings today

Old Tom Bombadil
02-04-2007, 23:16
I went up to Neels Gap to scout out some gear. It is about a 90 minute drive from where I live. Three things you guys might be interested in:

1 - 16 thrus signed the log as of this afternoon (Sun Feb 4)
2 - Anyone needing WM Highlite bags, they a few on sale. They are getting their new Inventory next week so there is quite a bit marked down, especially boots
3 - Still lots of snow around up there. Temps were right at 32 degrees at 2:00 PM

Happy Hiking!
Tom

Sly
02-04-2007, 23:24
I went up to Neels Gap to scout out some gear. It is about a 90 minute drive from where I live. Three things you guys might be interested in:

2 - Anyone needing WM Highlite bags, they a few on sale. They are getting their new Inventory next week so there is quite a bit marked down, especially boots

You wouldn't know if they had any WM Alpinlite Supers on sale would you? And how much?

Footslogger
02-04-2007, 23:30
[quote=Old Tom Bombadil;316564]I went up to Neels Gap to scout out some gear. It is about a 90 minute drive from where I live.

========================================

What time were you there Tom ?? My daughter and I were up there for a couple hours around 2 or so.

'Slogger

Old Tom Bombadil
02-04-2007, 23:36
Sly,
They MIGHT have had 1. I know they had 2 or 3 Highlites + a few others marked down. Call them up in the AM @ 706-745-6095.

I gotta say, I was impressed with the staff up there. VERY knowledgable and WILL NOT sell you any gear that is not right for you. I'll drive the 90 minutes and pay a little more to get my stuff from these guys b/c I know when I walk out I have the proper gear. As a newbie that gives me tremendous peace of mind.

Sly
02-04-2007, 23:53
Sly,
They MIGHT have had 1. I know they had 2 or 3 Highlites + a few others marked down. Call them up in the AM @ 706-745-6095.

I gotta say, I was impressed with the staff up there. VERY knowledgable and WILL NOT sell you any gear that is not right for you. I'll drive the 90 minutes and pay a little more to get my stuff from these guys b/c I know when I walk out I have the proper gear. As a newbie that gives me tremendous peace of mind.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Maybe drive up to see what they have.

The Doctor
02-04-2007, 23:58
Mountain Croosings is a great place, they are always very helpful and courteous. They won't ever rip you off and sometimes give away free stuff to those in need. A great bunch of folks!

madstang
02-04-2007, 23:59
I was there this afternoon as well. I had to drive up and pick up a guy that dropped out after one day. Leaves my son's group with just two hikers - both very strong. I left a box for them at MTX. They should get it Tuesday. They said the trail was mostly ice flows and colder than they expected - Keep hiking!

L Tee
02-05-2007, 00:12
Old Tomm, I went to Milton High School in Alpharetta and my parents live in Roswell. Thats such a nice area I always love visiting.

Old Tom Bombadil
02-05-2007, 00:38
I was there this afternoon as well. I had to drive up and pick up a guy that dropped out after one day. Leaves my son's group with just two hikers - both very strong. I left a box for them at MTX. They should get it Tuesday. They said the trail was mostly ice flows and colder than they expected - Keep hiking!

Madstang,
It doesnt surprise me. I am not a thru hiker and I barely qualify as hiker(YET), but it was damn cold up there with lots of ice on the side of the road. I bet the trail is iced over pretty good. I can see how the cold could get someone a little discouraged, but damn, you take off 6 months to do it. Might as well hang around Neels Gap for 3 or 4 days for it to warm up instead of packing it in + the folks at Mountain Xings could have hooked him up with some warmer stuff that he could have shipped home in a few weeks. I don't understand how one could make that kind of committment and yet give up so quickly, but then again I never tried it so my opinion is worth less than the obligatory $.02.

Old Tom Bombadil
02-05-2007, 00:40
[quote=Old Tom Bombadil;316564]I went up to Neels Gap to scout out some gear. It is about a 90 minute drive from where I live.

What time were you there Tom ?? My daughter and I were up there for a couple hours around 2 or so.

'Slogger

Footslogger,
I was up there from about 2:15 to 4:30. I was the guy in the back trying on boots. The blond who was trying on everything in the store was with me :)

Footslogger
02-05-2007, 09:41

Our paths crossed then ...because I saw that hiker standing outside the store looking a little dismayed. Later on someone inside the store told me the story. Felt bad to hear that he would drop off after that short a period of time. That said, this is kinda early to be out there unless you're really prepared to deal with the wet and cold.

'Slogger

Footslogger
02-05-2007, 09:43
[quote=Footslogger;316571]

Footslogger,
I was up there from about 2:15 to 4:30. I was the guy in the back trying on boots. The blond who was trying on everything in the store was with me :)

===================================

...and we talked about dehydrators ??? If so, that was me. Nice to have almost met you !!

'Slogger

Old Tom Bombadil
02-05-2007, 09:56
I dont think we spoke except when I said excuse me and squeezed by you and your daughter in the little corridor between the back room where the boots are and the cash register. If I remember right, your daughter was the petite gal with brown hair and was wearing a bluish long sleeve shirt. I was in a black starter jacket and black nylon pants. I was in the back almost the entire time so I was unaware of the gentleman who called it quits. Feel bad for him. It must be terribly dissappointing to through that

Gadog430
02-05-2007, 12:55
Absolutely. Worth the trip...even if you don't buy anything.

I grew up in Atlanta, and for me Mtn Crossings is like a trip to Mecca or going home. I go there for my attitude adjustment. And I always come away smiling. It's just like if you have beloved parents, just going home for the weekend can make all the difference.

Anyone else?

Dawg

Sly,

Sly
02-05-2007, 12:59
I hope to do the Hajj sometime soon. ;) I need to check out their WM sleeping bags.

Lucky Dog
02-05-2007, 22:17
On Aug. 25 2005 I had 14 hr. brain surgery, Winton and all the staff called and checked on me throughout the day. Three weeks later a friend carried me to see everyone at Mtn.Crossings. Winton had a local artist to paint a painting of the store with a hiker going through the breezeway. Winton, Cornbread and Jerry all wrote very nice things on the painting. My wife hung the painting right in front of me everyday, I would stare at it and say i will hike again. Three months later we hiked from Tray Mtn. to Dicks Creek Gap. So yes i do love Mtn Crossings. The photo Lucky dog and crew at Deep Gap shelter was that weekend.

Skidsteer
02-05-2007, 22:26
The photo Lucky dog and crew at Deep Gap shelter was that weekend.

This one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9555&catid=member&imageuser=7217)?

Looks like a solid crew.

Gadog430
02-06-2007, 09:05
Not surprised at all. There is something extremely special about that place in particular, and many others along the trail in general.

Dawg

On Aug. 25 2005 I had 14 hr. brain surgery, Winton and all the staff called and checked on me throughout the day. Three weeks later a friend carried me to see everyone at Mtn.Crossings. Winton had a local artist to paint a painting of the store with a hiker going through the breezeway. Winton, Cornbread and Jerry all wrote very nice things on the painting. My wife hung the painting right in front of me everyday, I would stare at it and say i will hike again. Three months later we hiked from Tray Mtn. to Dicks Creek Gap. So yes i do love Mtn Crossings. The photo Lucky dog and crew at Deep Gap shelter was that weekend.

Cuffs
02-06-2007, 19:57
LOVE MtX! Went there for a new pack (had a Gregory Shasta at almost 6#!!) Nate went thru all my gear, downsized alot of stuff and NEVER tried to sell me a pack!! I have since changed packs, but even when they new I was ready to spend the $$, they wont sell you something you dont have to have! Drove all the way from B'ham to see them and will do it again when I need new gear!

Lucky Dog
02-06-2007, 22:19
Yep Skids, thats the photo. Some of the N.C. photos are 6 months after my surgery we hiked from NOC to Fontana dam. And now everything is great and back to normal, i'm just glad to be alive and HIKING!

Rufous Sided Towhee
02-07-2007, 12:29
I was there this afternoon as well. I had to drive up and pick up a guy that dropped out after one day.

That's sad to hear. What reason(s) did he give, and other than the ice, did you hear what the conditions were overall? I've been both envious, curious and sypathetic of the ones who have already started the adventure.

Are thre any new trail journals or trip reports we can read for the last week or so from Springer?

galaleemc
02-08-2007, 09:20
http://2000miler.net/ he is north of NOC

and madstang 's posts -his son and a friend are out there, they just passed Hiawassee yesterday.