PDA

View Full Version : Sobo

Old Hillwalker
02-05-2007, 08:32
Heading SOBO around mid June. Hope to get to a BBQ at my house beside the trail in about 40 days. Thence on to Springer. Since I do a lot of hiking and messing around in my backyard (The Whites) I should be in pretty good shape at the start. For the lleh of it I am going to use my 27 year old Limmer Boots from "K" to my house. Then switch out to lightweights. My big ol Limmers are the only boots I have worn for non-winter hiking since 1980. This winter I have built a woodburner ala ZIP. Trials start soon and will continue through next summer.

TJ aka Teej
02-05-2007, 20:37
mmmm BBQ!
Think of me when you're looking for a ride to Katahdin. I'm on the MA/NH border, and head on up Baxter way four-five times tween May and the end of June.
Have a great hike!

Old Hillwalker
02-08-2007, 09:41
Hi Teej, Sure will keep that in mind. By the way I post on "Views" as hillwalker too. Just picked up a Gregory "G" pack yesterday at Concord LLB for 41 bucks after a trade in of my old LLB Avalanche that was at least 4 years old. Gotta love their returns policy. Gotta go do some BC skiing on the AT in about an hour. Glencliff to Rte 25C.

mweinstone
02-08-2007, 16:25
hillwalker do you know the other hillwalker from before? you know. the one who was 18 and sorta looked like you? well,... that guy could kick your ass. so my only advice is,.....stay away from time travel! what about dog?is he still ?

SHORTCUT
02-08-2007, 18:55
Hillwalker I've been a nobo since 2000, but am thinking about finishing the remainder SOBO. I have Big K to Dalton left. I'll be leaving about the same time, and am wondering about the BUGs. Do you plan to take a head net for Maine? When do most SOBO's start? It is nice to have some others around on the trail, and my last couple of sections NOBO have been lonely. That is why I am going SOBO.

Old Hillwalker
02-09-2007, 13:34
Howdy, Well, as far as the bugs go, the blackflies will be on their last legs if the weather has been above 70, but the mosquitoes will be breeding like mad. Yes, I will be carrying a headnet. I usually do living up here in the Mtns. At least until late July. Days are not usually a problem, it's the nights when the mosquitoes have their big feeds.

Hi matty, Yes, to your question about the other hillwalker. I have an old hiking album and look at his outstanding physique every so often. yuk yuk yuk As far as Fozzie the Bear goes, he is still doing very well. Harsh as it sounds, he has to die before I can start my SOBO. Looks like I will be dog sitting a trained AT Boundary dog this summer while his owner works for the Maine Conservation Corps. She will probably visit on weekends. She can't take her pup to work due to the Baxter Regs.

t-money
02-12-2007, 18:35
Hey hillwalker, Me and my girlfriend are going to be starting our thru-hike around early to mid june.. Hope to share the trail and some ideas/schedule info with ya..

TJ aka Teej
02-12-2007, 18:49
Hey hillwalker, Me and my girlfriend are going to be starting our thru-hike around early to mid june.. Hope to share the trail and some ideas/schedule info with ya..

:welcome to WhiteBlaze, t money!
Be sure to check out the southbounder's forum here on WhiteBlaze!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422

t-money
02-13-2007, 09:22
Thanks for the Welcome Teej.... Hey is any one going to use a 4-season tent during your hike? i was wondering if I need to get one.. I currently have a hubba hubba, but think that it might not be enough for Oct./Nov in N.C.... Any thoughts

T-Dubs
02-13-2007, 16:29
Heading SOBO around mid June

Tom,
So you've decided the SOBO trek rather than a 'flip'. I'm sure it'll be a great time. Hope to see you out there, somewhere. Was it the BBQ that swayed your choice? Waiting as you walked all that way north would have been a killer! :)

Tom

Marta
02-13-2007, 18:03
Thanks for the Welcome Teej.... Hey is any one going to use a 4-season tent during your hike? i was wondering if I need to get one.. I currently have a hubba hubba, but think that it might not be enough for Oct./Nov in N.C.... Any thoughts

I, and the few other SOBOs around me, stayed in shelters. You have them entirely to yourself most of the time. I continued to carry a tarp or Tarptent, but only used them to keep wind-driven rain out of shelters.

My suggestion is to get a really warm sleeping bag instead of a 4-season tent.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Old Hillwalker
02-14-2007, 06:01
Been thinking that it might be fun to turn my house into a "one night hostel" for some of us SOBOs. It's only a mile off the trail on Atwell Hill. A few of my local hiking friends said that they would throw a BBQ for us there when we pass through. My big ol Chevy Suburbzilla would be there for trips to Plymouth or Lincoln for resupply. Closest SOBO shelter from me is Hexacuba. Going North it's Ore Hill.

Marta
02-14-2007, 08:33
What a fantastic idea! As you will find out...organized Trail Magic is in very short supply for SOBOs.

Marta/Five-Leaf

McPick
02-14-2007, 14:53
What a fantastic idea! As you will find out...organized Trail Magic is in very short supply for SOBOs.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Hey F-L-C... Just meeting some of those die-hard SOBOs was Trail Magic!

t-money
02-15-2007, 03:02
Been thinking that it might be fun to turn my house into a "one night hostel" for some of us SOBOs. It's only a mile off the trail on Atwell Hill. A few of my local hiking friends said that they would throw a BBQ for us there when we pass through. My big ol Chevy Suburbzilla would be there for trips to Plymouth or Lincoln for resupply. Closest SOBO shelter from me is Hexacuba. Going North it's Ore Hill.
Hillwalker, It gots my vote. Hope I can take part and help out

No Belay
02-17-2007, 22:02
Hillwalker, I have plans to leave Baxter the 8th of June for a SOBO. I cook a mean chicken so if you need a Jr. Cook count me in, that is if you don't mind hanging out with a "Pup". I'm only 54. You might remember me as Dragonass. Let me know when you have a definite emancipation date so when you pass me I'll know who you are.

Savor Happy!

Old Hillwalker
02-18-2007, 08:44
Hillwalker, I have plans to leave Baxter the 8th of June for a SOBO. I cook a mean chicken so if you need a Jr. Cook count me in, that is if you don't mind hanging out with a "Pup". I'm only 54. You might remember me as Dragonass. Let me know when you have a definite emancipation date so when you pass me I'll know who you are.

Savor Happy!

Of course you are invited, cook or not. Looong countdown to blast off though, darn it. I need one more year on the job to clean up some debts. And train my replacement. Anyone know a Novell SysAdmin w/ A+ cert who wants to work for a small school in NH? $35K for 104 days a year. That's $335.50 a day. No bennies.