PDA

View Full Version : Ordered more gear, will be heading to GA early March

BirchBark
02-05-2007, 11:23
Hi everybody-

Between everything I've learned on WB and my three-week hiking experience on the AT last year, I feel that I'm as ready as I'll ever be to accomplish my thru. If it doesn't happen now, it never will.

I'd like to take the time to thank all the participants here at Whiteblaze.net. Without the wealth of information and knowledge shared by you all, this trip might not have been possible. WB is a tremendous resource, and hopefully by September I'll have the experience necessary to make a more positive contribution to the WB community.

Here are the essentials of my gear list:

- Gregory Whitney pack
- Hennessy Ultralite Explorer A-sym w/stock fly
- JrB Nest
- EMS Solstice 5/25 sleeping bag
- Sierra Zip stove
- Vasque boots
- PolarMax Severe Gear Fleece top & bottom base layer
- assorted fleece & poly outerwear
- sil-nylon stuff sacks / trash bag pack liners
- AT Thru-Hiker's Companion ('07), will buy maps along the way.
- MiniWorks EX water filter

I'd been trying to build an insulation system for the hammock (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20759), but in the end I just bit the bullet and went for the proven JrB Nest and Jeff's Gear Hammock. I also opted for the Zip stove (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20731). I still need to get some inexpensive rain gear (I'd love the Packa, but spent enough $ already), and a few additional misc items such as gloves, shorts and pants, etc.

I'll be leaving early-mid March, exactly when I'm not sure. I plan on hiking at a reasonable pace initially (break-in period), but will pick up speed as my body adapts. I have no schedules, no plans and nothing else to do until the fall, so I hope to thoroughly enjoy myself. I'm going to try minimizing my "town time" as much as possible, and will stealth camp more often than not. I've spent the last ten years living and cruising the east coast on sailboats, so alternative lifestyles such as long-term hiking really appeal to me.

To borrow a quote from another WB thread, KEEP PERSISTING!

txulrich
02-05-2007, 11:54
Good luck on your hike.

Sly
02-05-2007, 12:06
Sounds like you have the proper attitude. Enjoy your hike!

4eyedbuzzard
02-05-2007, 12:24
Here are the essentials of my gear list...

That stuff is all junk! Hammock + Zip Stove = Flaming bear pinata:rolleyes:

Seriously though, have a great hike. I think the right stuff from the neck up is the most important.

hammock engineer
02-05-2007, 13:25
I am starting around that time. Hopefully I run into you somewhere. I'll be the guy with a pack and trekking poles.

You may still want to bring a cheap closed cell foam pad. I have a JRB nest and really love it, but below 35 degrees I need some extra bottom insulation. Some good backyard testing weather going on right now if you want to find your limits. It's going to be -4 with wind chill in Cincy tonight. I'm going to give it a try.

hammock engineer
02-05-2007, 13:26
I am starting around that time. Hopefully I run into you somewhere. I'll be the guy with a pack and trekking poles.

You may still want to bring a cheap closed cell foam pad. I have a JRB nest and really love it, but below 35 degrees I need some extra bottom insulation. Some good backyard testing weather going on right now if you want to find your limits. It's going to be -4 with wind chill in Cincy tonight. I'm going to give it a try.

I forgot to add that if you haven't had your HH in really cold temps yet, you may want to start out a little warmer first.

HAve fun either way.

BirchBark
02-05-2007, 14:53
Thanks for the advice regarding packing warmer. I have 2 options, then. One is to bring my RidgeRest CCF pad, the other is to pack along the open-cell foam underpad that came with the Hennessy Supershelter system.

I'm thinking that I'd rather not deal with the bulk of the CCF, same for managing (what must be) the hassle of situating an in-hammock pad. Seems to defeat the purspose of hanging in the first place.

God knows I spent some cash on the Supershelter, so utilizing it would make me feel a bit better about the otherwise pointless purchase. It has those handy shock cord attachments that could theoretically allow me to rig it between the Nest and the hammock. Any input?

neo
02-05-2007, 15:14
Hi everybody-

Between everything I've learned on WB and my three-week hiking experience on the AT last year, I feel that I'm as ready as I'll ever be to accomplish my thru. If it doesn't happen now, it never will.

I'd like to take the time to thank all the participants here at Whiteblaze.net. Without the wealth of information and knowledge shared by you all, this trip might not have been possible. WB is a tremendous resource, and hopefully by September I'll have the experience necessary to make a more positive contribution to the WB community.

- Gregory Whitney pack
- JrB Nest
- Sierra Zip stove
- Vasque boots

I'd been trying to build an insulation system for the hammock (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20759), but in the end I just bit the bullet and went for the proven JrB Nest and Jeff's Gear Hammock. I also opted for the Zip stove (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20731). I still need to get some inexpensive rain gear (I'd love the Packa, but spent enough $ already), and a few additional misc items such as gloves, shorts and pants, etc.

I'll be leaving early-mid March, exactly when I'm not sure. I plan on hiking at a reasonable pace initially (break-in period), but will pick up speed as my body adapts. I have no schedules, no plans and nothing else to do until the fall, so I hope to thoroughly enjoy myself. I'm going to try minimizing my "town time" as much as possible, and will stealth camp more often than not. I've spent the last ten years living and cruising the east coast on sailboats, so alternative lifestyles such as long-term hiking really appeal to me.

:) i hope you have a great hike,you will be able to hammock all the way
:cool: neo

hammock engineer
02-05-2007, 15:18
Checkout some posts be Hangout on hammockforums. I think he did something like that. The pad is a pain at first, but not too bad after that.

neo
02-05-2007, 15:58
Hi everybody-

- Gregory Whitney pack
- JrB Nest
- Sierra Zip stove
- Vasque boots

i would ditch the stock tarp and use this tarp instead:cool: neo

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

FanaticFringer
02-05-2007, 17:07
I've got the 9X9 Sportmans Guide tarp. Too heavy for a thru IMO.
I would take either a JRB 8X8 or a MacCat Standard tarp.

BillyBob58
02-05-2007, 23:34
Thanks for the advice regarding packing warmer. I have 2 options, then. One is to bring my RidgeRest CCF pad, the other is to pack along the open-cell foam underpad that came with the Hennessy Supershelter system.

I'm thinking that I'd rather not deal with the bulk of the CCF, same for managing (what must be) the hassle of situating an in-hammock pad. Seems to defeat the purspose of hanging in the first place.

God knows I spent some cash on the Supershelter, so utilizing it would make me feel a bit better about the otherwise pointless purchase. It has those handy shock cord attachments that could theoretically allow me to rig it between the Nest and the hammock. Any input?

Some few of us have had some surprisingly good results with the SS all by itself, at least with the full system of added kidney/torso pads and space blanket. And even better results adding a 4 oz. Garlington Insulator and a fleece jacket! It will conservatively get me to the lower 30s even without those last items. The lightest, most compressible and comfy option might be adding that OCF pad ( about 8 oz?) and a space blanket between the JRB and hammock. I've never tried the combo, but it seems it might work. You should be able to check it out yourself.

On the other hand, is there any possibility that you would ever have to go to ground? If so, I personally find that the Speer SPE with a RidgeRest decreases comfort very little. And of course you wouldn't have to put up with it except on the really cold nights. And it almost guarntees another 20-30* on the bottom and sides, and getting it wet is not a worry, and I find it stays in place pretty well and is no trouble getting situated on. And of course, it takes care of the ground/shelter option, if there is any possibility that could happen. It wouldn't be as comfy as a thick self-inflator or needless to say the hammock, but it would be better than the hard ground/shelter floor!