PDA

View Full Version : Cheap smartwool type shirts???

sirbingo
02-05-2007, 12:42
Hey Whiteblazers,

Can anybody out there recommend a cheap synthetic t-shirt for hiking that doesn't Kill like cotton, does not get stinky after a few hours of exertion but is not way expensive like smartwool?

:sun
SirBingo

The Solemates
02-05-2007, 13:48
www.campmor.com

they run specials every now and then where you can get duofold tees for $5...or, they sell them all the time for $10-$12.

The Solemates
02-05-2007, 13:49
$9.97

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39172851&memberId=12500226

nutlub
02-05-2007, 20:59
There really ain't any cheap wool tshirts- you mentioned smartwool.
There are tons of cheap synthetic tshirts out there- check target/walmart/kmart..look on the tag for no cotton content- 100% polyester or a poly/nylon mix.

But the cheap synthetic tshirts get stinky in the pits way faster then cotton Ts.

I was under the impression that Smartwool doesn't get stinky so fast.

Blissful
02-05-2007, 21:17
SAC has been running deals on a polyester / wool blend. Check out backcountry.com too in their outlet area - I saw some brands for under $30 (but you need to buy $50 worth of stuff to get the free shipping)

bobgessner57
02-05-2007, 21:22
Campmor and Sierra Traders also sometimes have a Duofold coolmax and merino wool henley shirt. I have seen it for less than twenty bucks several times. Mine weighs about 10 oz and is very warm. It is comfortable over a wide range of cold to chilly temps as a base layer or worn alone and doesn't seem to get very funky. I use this shirt late fall, winter and early spring.

rafe
02-05-2007, 21:24
Very good deals on Merino wool here (http://www.wool-underwear.com/html/merino_skins.html). I bought the "skins," top and bottom. Very nice. Comfy and warm, but a bit heavier than my polypro stuff.

hammock engineer
02-06-2007, 01:20
I got some OR wool/syn ones on SAC similar to the ones up now and like them.

I ordered a duofold shirt from campmor and I am not happy with them. I think they are too cottony. I got one wet and it felt like cotton, and more importantly seamed to dry like cotton. Something I really don't want in the field.

chicote
02-06-2007, 12:56
I'll second Steepandcheap. I got OR wool synthetic blend shirt. It is awesome feels so soft yet doesn't get clamy and dries quite nicely and stinks less than a full synthetic. Plus that site has stuff on it all the time for great deals.

tmnobo07
02-06-2007, 13:20
I ordered a duofold shirt from campmor and I am not happy with them. I think they are too cottony. I got one wet and it felt like cotton, and more importantly seamed to dry like cotton. Something I really don't want in the field.

I agree. Duofold shirts aren't very good. I ordered some a couple years ago and was not at all happy with the performance. They're like sponges...they wick up your moisture but then it just stays in the shirts. My sweat just pooled up in the shirt and took a long time to dry out. Not very comfortable.

I was able to find some baselayer merino wool shirts on Sierra Trading Post a month ago. I ended up buying a mid weight long sleeve for around $20. I don't think it's as smooth/soft as Smartwool but then again it's not as expensive either. Keep an eye out for deals on SAC and STP...even your local K-Mart.

As for sythetic T's, I like EMS techwick and Mountain Hardwear. But don't forget to look at running shirts from Brooks, Sugoi or Hind. I'm sure you can find a sale on one of these brands somewhere.