PDA

View Full Version : Golite Lair 2 dimensions

dla
02-05-2007, 13:53
I called Golite to get dimensions, as they don't have them on their website yet, and not one dealer had them either. I was told that the length (along the ridgeline) of the Lair 2 is 7' and the width is 8'. No mention of the width of the foot end box.

I was very disappointed when I heard that the length was only 7'. 7' is much too short for an unbeaked tarp.

cabana
02-05-2007, 21:49
I just pulled out my lair 2 tarp.
The rear seam is 45.5"
The ridge line seam is 97"
Please do not take this as absolute, as there may be a margin of error due to the fabric not being able to be 100% taunt.

Cabana

dla
02-06-2007, 00:12
I just pulled out my lair 2 tarp.
The rear seam is 45.5"
The ridge line seam is 97"
Please do not take this as absolute, as there may be a margin of error due to the fabric not being able to be 100% taunt.

Cabana

Does the ridge line terminate at the rear tie-off? I want to thank you for measuring your tarp - something Golite wouldn't/couldn't do.

So would you guess that you actually have a full 8' foot of inside length when the tarp is pitched?

Tell me something about the tarp. Your insight would be very valuable to all the potential users.

cabana
02-06-2007, 21:33
Does the ridge line terminate at the rear tie-off? Yes it does

I want to thank you for measuring your tarp. Glad to help

would you guess that you actually have a full 8' foot of inside length when the tarp is pitched? Yeah, I think so, if you are not using the nest option. I say this because the nset and tarp has a good ammount of stand off distance.

Tell me something about the tarp. My wife and I have been using the lair 2 / nest set up for about 2 years now. We really like it. There is good coverage of the nest on both sides and the rear. The front of the nest does not have best of protection. A simple beak added to the front is the ticket. The stand off distance between the tarp and nest affords great ventilation, and the tarp can be easliy raised and lowered to the weather conditions. We store or gear in the area between the edge of the nest and the edge of the tarp. Condensation on the AT was not an issue unless we had fog roll in, or extreme daytime humidity coupled with cool nights. For the latter, we just pitched the tarp higher. The nest will prevent the condensation from dropping on you. (a light coat of silicone spray on the nest does wonders) The tarp alone will sleep 3 easily, but the nest will only hold 2.

Since we have a baby on the way, we are looking for increased room in our current set up. I am thinking of the following 2 options.
1. Have a custom lair / nest made for 3 with an oversize beak.
2. Keep our lair 2 tarp(since it can hold 3), and have a custom nest or bivy for 3. This will decrease the stand off distance between the tarp and nest / bivy. I worry about ventin with this option.

I hope this is what you were looking for.
Happy Hikes,
Cabana

cabana
02-06-2007, 22:25
http://www.golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=SH6006&s=1

Check these out

http://www.golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=SH6010&s=1

Cabana

dla
02-06-2007, 23:56
cabana: Again thank you for the information. I contacted 6 dealers and Golite and none of them could give the ridgeline length dimension.

dla
02-07-2007, 16:00
From Golite:

Front width: 96"
Back width: 48"
Maximum Front height: 48"
Maximum Back height: 24"
Maximum Length: 84"
Side length: 90"
Ridge line Length: 96"

Hope this helps.

farmermv
02-09-2007, 15:05
You might try the Hut 1 or 2 with the nest 1 or 2. It is just like the lair except that it has a closed end/vestibule.