PDA

View Full Version : Hostels filling up?

vaporjourney
02-05-2007, 17:13
wondering if hostels tend to get booked up, especially in the sections south of VA (fontana, NOC, walasi-yi). i'm going to be doing some small mail-drops, and trying to decide if i could rely on some of these hostels, or just ship to Post office just in case....I know that fontana inn says that you can call from NOC and make reservations.

Pacific Tortuga
02-05-2007, 18:23
wondering if hostels tend to get booked up, especially in the sections south of VA (fontana, NOC, walasi-yi). i'm going to be doing some small mail-drops, and trying to decide if i could rely on some of these hostels, or just ship to Post office just in case....I know that fontana inn says that you can call from NOC and make reservations.

Have you looked at Jack Tarlins re-supply articles ? I would start there, tons of great info on everything postal. :-? :)

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2007, 18:36
Vapor:

Some small places might fill up, especially if they are small capacity places (like the hostel at Neels Gap or the Blueberry Patch near Hiawasee).

At the larger places, you'll almost always be able to get a room or bunk (i.e. the Nantahala Outdoor Center or Fontana Village. Plus, the shleter at Fontana Dam is enormous, and while I've seen it jammed, I've never seen it so full that people couldn't find a way to fit inside).

And in any case, even if you get to a place where you've sent mail and discover that it's full when you arrive, you can still pick up your mail and find an alternative place to stay.

Be aware also that some hostels don't take reservations, as they end up holding bunks for people who never show up due to delays, bad weather, etc.
Quite a few trail hostels are first-come first served. Chances are good there'll be a spot available when you arrive, but if not, there are always other options.

A-Train
02-05-2007, 19:49
You can always just pick up mail from hostels, even without staying there, most cases-which is what I thought you were asking.

A few hostels which I had a tough time getting into and always fill up in spring are Elmers, Miss Janets, Kincorra and Daves Place in the south. I know for a fact both Miss Janet and Bob at Kincorra have no problems with people sending mail to the them in leiu of a post office and not staying, though it's always good to ask permission first.

vaporjourney
02-06-2007, 15:45
i'll have to ask permission at some of these hostels if i plan to use them. i know that in the Companion, lots of hostels say that they accept mail drops, but there is a fee if you aren't a guest. HOpefully they wave this if the hostel turns out to be full.

soulrebel
02-06-2007, 16:40
I'm bouncing a POD this year from hostel to hostel. That way all my maildrops and my living room will be waiting for me at each town stop. j/k

You've got nothing to worry about...don't ya know that your Mail drop won't even be there when you arrive; even though it was shipped out 2 weeks ago. j/k again

Frosty
02-06-2007, 17:18
I'm bouncing a POD this year from hostel to hostel. What's a POD?

the_iceman
02-06-2007, 18:18
Portable On-demand Storage
A cube thing - aka mini shipping container
http://www.pods.com/

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 18:25
you will marry a hostle.
good sleeping bags make poor birds.
blerfuginwampum dillyfish amigobreath up an orchard with no syrup and my daddys commin home to raise a barn.

translation? there is none. you just wing it.
oh,.. and hostles fill but never burst.

Blissful
02-06-2007, 21:52
What is the lo down on the hostel in Fontana Village? Couldn't find much on that one. I know about the Hike Inn. Is there something else? If so, where is it? Cost? Accept mail drops? The Hike Inn is a little expensive, and I won't need a resupply at Robbinsville.

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2007, 23:22
All of this information is available in the current Thru Hiker's Companion or Handbook. But since you asked:

As far as lodging at Fontana:

*You can rent a cottage/cabin for up to as many as 4 people for between 90 and 100 dollars

*You can get a motel room for around $60.00

*You can stay for free out by the dam at the Fontana Hilton shelter; there
are showers down by the dam

*You can stay at the Hike Inn for $50/55 dollars, which includes laundry
and shuttle to Robbinsville

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2007, 23:24
fontana village usually has a hiker rate about 30 bucks..

post office in village for mail drops

Lone Wolf
02-06-2007, 23:26
fontana village usually has a hiker rate about 30 bucks..

post office in village for mail drops

not any more. new management

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2007, 23:35
Also, the "hotel" rooms at the Village aren't all that. Last time I was there, I was dying to see a ballgame, only to discover that the TV got around four local channels and there wasn't any cable.

For sixty dollars, I want CMT, Major League Baseball, Cable News, and The History Channel.

Personally, I'd suggest skipping Fontana Village, and stay an extra day in Gatlinburg instead, where you can get a perfectly good motel room for around forty bucks.

(That's if you don't go to the Hike Inn, which is kind of no frills, but is a very friendly place).

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2007, 23:42
not any more. new management

ok my bad...guess i'm getting leik wingnut,,,

at least the westmark in fairbanks still has a musher rate ;)

SalParadise
02-06-2007, 23:45
Personally, I'd suggest skipping Fontana Village, and stay an extra day in Gatlinburg instead, where you can get a perfectly good motel room for around forty bucks.

(That's if you don't go to the Hike Inn, which is kind of no frills, but is a very friendly place).

getting to Fontana Villiage always seemed like a hard hitch or a long walk to get to anyway, at least when us hikers are getting through that early in the season.

madstang
02-06-2007, 23:46
I have two guys on the trail right now. They are staying tonight at a hotel in hiawassee (the hiawassee inn?). The guys called in - said they were the only people at the hotel tonight and the manager did their laundry for them (along with the hotel stuff, but still), gave them both a beer, gave them the van that is used to shuttle hikers and told them where a decent mexican restaurant was. I will pass on the correct name of the hotel if you're interested (e-mail me). This kind of hospitality to hikers is worth patronizing.

On another note, Jack Tarlin mentioned the blueberry patch at Hiawassee, the new thru-hikers companion has a trout farm offering a hostel there too. It is closer to the trail and open now - for what it is worth, I'd go into town and stay at this hotel - $20.00 per and great people can't be beat!

madstang
02-06-2007, 23:51
Upper Hightower Trout Farm. 706-896-8959
1.5 miles west of the trail on U.S.76

madstang
02-06-2007, 23:53
According to the companion, it is the Hiawassee Inn....phew

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2007, 00:01
Madstang:

In most cases, in my Re-Supply article and elsewhere, I try to avoid steering people towards places, except in a few places where a place is so outstanding that I don't think anyone should miss it.

Likewise, over the years, unless in extreme cases, I've tried not to steer people away from places either. I think it's best that people decide for themselves, and also, just because I might have had a bad time at a certain place, it doesn't mean everyone else does. Likewise, I think places like Standing Bear Farm, Miss Janet's House, and Kincora are three of the finest places on the Trail, yet each has been criticized at some point by someone who found these places lacking, for whatever reason.

As far as Hiawassee, there are all sorts of good places to stay, depending on what people need. And this is how it shoud be.

Incidentally, the motel you mentioned,The Hiawassee Inn, is great, and is where I'll probably stay myself this spring.

tiamalle
02-07-2007, 00:06
What is the lo down on the hostel in Fontana Village? Couldn't find much on that one. I know about the Hike Inn. Is there something else? If so, where is it? Cost? Accept mail drops? The Hike Inn is a little expensive, and I won't need a resupply at Robbinsville.Lots of thru's send a food box from Hiawassee or Franklin to NOC and Fontana.

If anyone is needing to send a box here in Franklin as you are coming thru. Me or Three Eagles Outfitter will hold your box free.If I can help anyone pm me.

madstang
02-07-2007, 00:21
The guy running the store there was just so good to my kids that I felt he needed the plug. I'm all for everyone doing their own thing as far as the experience goes. This is just asuggestion. If he is as good to other thru hikers as he is to these two guys - well, he'll go broke. The Bear Bait Boys will go see him again though.

These two guys are hiking on debit cards instead of carrying cash. The owner said that it costs him an extra 3 bucks to swipe a card, so he gave the boys his card and said for thme to just mail him a check when they finished the hike. They won't do that to the guy - they got cash at the ATM for him, but really, how many people these days are going to be that good to total strangers? I'll admit that this pair of thru-hikers are good boys and very couteous, trustworthy, reverent, (yes, one is an Eagle Scout)

That's all - just good people. He made the boys' day. The quote was; "If all the people we meet on the trail are this nice, I could spend my life hiking."

I personally can't afford for him to spend his life hiking without some really good sponsorship...any takers?

SalParadise
02-07-2007, 01:02
it costs like 2 cents to swipe a credit card (though debit cards are more like $1). but i'm glad you had a good experience.

Frosty
02-07-2007, 01:17
it costs like 2 cents to swipe a credit card Businesses get whacked a lot for credit card use. I wouldn't doubt it would cost the owner 3 bucks for a credit card transaction on a double room.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2007, 05:47
Incidentally, the motel you mentioned,The Hiawassee Inn, is great, and is where I'll probably stay myself this spring.

I don't think it's great. Last year me and another hiker arrived early in the afternoon to check in. We wanted separate rooms. I don't share motel rooms. One of the owners seemed pissed that we weren't going to share a room. He finally gave in. Next morning we were rushed by the owner to check out. It was only 8:00 AM. If we wanted a shuttle to the trail it was leaving at 9:00. I don't check out of a room til 11:00. Also it's cash only and no phones in the room. I suggest Holiday Inn Express.

Marta
02-07-2007, 06:48
The guys who own the Hiawassee Inn were incredibly nice to me. Way above and beyond the call of duty. In January they came out and picked me up at the trailhead after dark, when I would have had a very hard time hitching. Saved a room for me when I called. (It was the last available room--the rest were full of construction workers.) Fed me an excellent breakfast. Offered to do laundry. Offered to loan me a car if I wanted to drive around town to a restaurant further from the motel than I was inclined to walk. Shuttled me back to the Trail in the morning. Were having trouble with the credit card machine and said if it wouldn't go through I could just send them a check. (The charge finally went through okay.)

Not to slight any of the other places in Hiawassee--because I haven't tried them--but if I pass through there again, I'll be going back to the Inn.

Pokey2006
02-07-2007, 07:06
The Inn was great -- they picked me up and gave me a ride to town along with their paying guests, even though they knew I wasn't staying with them. But I still rave about the Blueberry Patch Hostel. A great place to go if you're not into the booze (no drinking allowed). I liked it because it of the setting, a pastoral southern farm right out of a picture book -- exactly what I pictured Georgia to be in the summer time (I was there during a warm spell). Plus, the price was right -- just make a modest donation -- and the owners are super-nice. Their blueberry pancake breakfast is among the best on the trail.

madstang
02-07-2007, 08:36
Don't misunderstand - I'm sure that there are other places to stay that are just as good - better than the Inn; BUT, as this is my first experience with staying in Hiawassee (I only live about 100 miles away), my first thru-hiking experience (OK, my son's actually on the trail - I'm just vicariously doing it), etc. My son is not easily impressed and was raving about how good the people at the Inn were treating him. The ammenities were not of importance except for a clean room. They boys were not coming off the trail so they wouldn't miss '24' - or 'Lost', they needed a break from the cold.
The boys boiled water the night before and put the nalgenes in their bags with them, they were still frozen the next morning and for the whole day. All of the water sources were frozen over. Their filter was frozen. Even their polar pure was frozen in its container. They ate snow all day for hydration. They were miserable.

They learned a lesson about weather - sure, but the Inn owner was more than fair to a couple of tired kids that he could have tried to take advantage of. These particular two would not have allowed that to happen, but the guy was just plain good to them. Consitent with Pokey's report above.

I am for everyone doing for themselves in towns as they see fit, but this kind of service should be reported and cond=sidered by those coming later. That's all

Lone Wolf
02-07-2007, 09:39
I am for everyone doing for themselves in towns as they see fit, but this kind of service should be reported and cond=sidered by those coming later. That's all

and bad service should be reported and considered. i won't stay there.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-08-2007, 09:14
I have stayed Numerous times at the Hike Inn In Fontana. Jeff and Nancy are great. Reasons to stay here are as follows:

1: They pick you up at the Dam after a phone call
2: They will wash your clothes
3: They will take you to Robbinsville for Resupply and for an evening meal
4: You can share a room and split the costs
5: They take you back to the Dam the next morning to the exact same spot you left
6: You can get your premits from them for the Smokies and they will turn them in.

CAUTION: They do take reservations so its best to call them from Franklin or even better from NOC. Even though I know them well, in 2006, when I hit Fontana, they were full and I didnt get a room so I stayed at the Fontana Hilton.

Cya all in the Smokies

Peaks
02-09-2007, 11:18
getting to Fontana Villiage always seemed like a hard hitch or a long walk to get to anyway, at least when us hikers are getting through that early in the season.

Did the shuttle between the AT and village get discontinued?

tiamalle
02-09-2007, 23:46
Businesses get whacked a lot for credit card use. I wouldn't doubt it would cost the owner 3 bucks for a credit card transaction on a double room.Different cards services charge more.I PAY ABOUT $300 Per month at each of our establishments.

dperry
02-10-2007, 12:16
Different cards services charge more.I PAY ABOUT $300 Per month at each of our establishments.

American Express, in particular. Many places will no longer accept Amex for this reason.

rafe
02-10-2007, 12:19
American Express, in particular. Many places will no longer accept Amex for this reason.

Amex has always been unique in this regard because it's not really a credit card, per se. You're expected to pay off the full balance every month. Whatever the deal, it's interesting that Costco and Amex have some sort of alliance. I wonder how that works...

fehchet
02-10-2007, 12:50
The reason for taking cash only? -- no records for the tax man. Yes, LW and I did get the bum's rush there. I almost felt the need to apoligize for staying -- right. Holiday Inn Express for me too. Closer to the AYCE.