PDA

View Full Version : Re-Supply 2007

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2007, 19:11
I have been working on the updated 2007 Re-Supply article for awhile today, including most of this afternoon.

It's taking longer than I thought, as there is more to this than I'd expected, and I have almost no free time these days.

My original idea was to complete the revision, and then send it all to Troll or Dix so they could re-place the original version.

It's evidently gonna be at least a week or so til I finish this damned thing and maybe longer. If anyone is leaving for the Trail soon, and wants a look at the revised Part One of the Article, which covers from Springer to Damascus, they should write me at baltimorejack at hotmail dot com, and I'll send it to them. Please don't send me a PM here at Whiteblaze as my mailbox is pretty full already.

If it looks like this is really going to take longer than a week or two, I'll probably send Troll each section as I complete them, and then once he gets them all, he can paste the whole thing together into one continuous piece.

But if anyone needs or wants this info immediately (at least the first part), they should get in touch.

Ewker
02-05-2007, 20:41
Thanks for updating your original article. Much appreciated

Webs
02-05-2007, 21:05
Yes, your articles have been my sole source of knowledge for town stops, and I vastly appreciate your efforts!!! :banana :banana

Buckles
02-06-2007, 02:33
Jack,

Very much appreciated!

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2007, 16:55
Wow, I didn't realize so many people were leaving for the Trail so soon. I got all sorts of personal E-Mails asking for the first section of the article, so instead of waiting til everything's done and printing it here all in one piece, I've just sent Part One (Springer to Damascus) to Troll, where it'll shortly be available to anyone who wants a look at it.

The other sections will follow as soon as I can finish and proof them, which will hopefully be later this week. Then, when everything's finished, they'll hopefully be pasted together into one complete article, and will be permanently available in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze.

There will also be an Appendix, containing late editions and corrections, as it is inevitable that I will have omitted some important things, or perhaps made some mistakes. (I can already think of things I need to add to Part One!) I also hope that when the Article is completed, there will be a section accompanying it where anyone who wishes to can add comments or improvements, especially if they feel that something important has been left out. So anyone consulting this article would do well to check out the Appendix, and also the comments and ideas from other folks.

Likewise, if any 2007 people are on other mailing lists or frequent other A.T. websites, please let them know that this information is available here at WB, so that folks who either don't know about Whiteblaze, or don't come here often, are aware that this material is available, in case they're interested in checkng it out. Thanks.

Whistler
02-07-2007, 02:08
Thanks, Jack. I always like reading those, even if only for interim daydreaming purposes...
-Mark

attroll
02-07-2007, 05:22
I just posted Jack's first section here http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1.

jollies
02-07-2007, 09:56
Here's a PDF version of Part 1 in case anyone wants a more printable version.

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2007, 16:23
Jollies:

Wow, that's MUCH easier on the eye; thanx for doing this!

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2007, 18:37
I just this minute sent off Part Two to Troll, which covers from Damascus to Harpers Ferry. It should be posted very soon, hopefully later this evening.

More parts to follow, hopefully by week's end, but bear with me, it's Winter Carnival Weekend in Hanover with a zillion things going on in town, and I may not get back to the computer for any length of time til early next week. Til then, I hope this first 1,009 miles of the Trail keeps planners busy for awhile!

GlazeDog
02-07-2007, 21:53
Jack---

WOW! That's great work. I hiked the first 500 miles in 05 and this is about what we did up to Damascus, despite planning totally differently--LOL. It's a great guide in my opinion--if I ever get back out there I know I can rely on your guide as sound advice for the next 1500 miles.

Thanks--
GlazeDog

jollies
02-07-2007, 23:38
Keep your eyes out once the guide is completed for a more "book-like" edition available only here on Whiteblaze :-) Any suggestions for what the best layout for this would be very much welcomed. I really like the layout of Yogi's PCT guidebook pages that had space for holes and a binder if any of you care for that. The easiest would be to put two pages per 8 1/2 x 11 sheet in a vertical layout. See the attached for my idea. Please comment!

MedicineMan
02-08-2007, 00:12
we use it too!
You know Jack that this could be the basis of a good book.....

Singe03
02-08-2007, 01:35
I dont know if I ever said thank you, but your guide was probabily the single most useful piece of information I used on my trip in 2003. I still am stunned and admire the fact that you make this information freely available when many others would attempt to charge 29.95 + shipping and handling for it...

Also: To anyone going in 2007, listen to Baltimore Jack, take care of Ms. Janet, she deserves it !

attroll
02-08-2007, 02:54
Here's a PDF version of Part 1 in case anyone wants a more printable version.

Thank you Jollies. I have added the printable version to the one on the web site. So they can click on that option within the document. Thank you.

jollies
02-09-2007, 12:35
The second part of Jack's resupply article is available now. You can reach it via this link (or the articles link on the homepage).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart2

neo
02-09-2007, 12:39
I have been working on the updated 2007 Re-Supply article for awhile today, including most of this afternoon.

It's taking longer than I thought, as there is more to this than I'd expected, and I have almost no free time these days.

My original idea was to complete the revision, and then send it all to Troll or Dix so they could re-place the original version.

It's evidently gonna be at least a week or so til I finish this damned thing and maybe longer. If anyone is leaving for the Trail soon, and wants a look at the revised Part One of the Article, which covers from Springer to Damascus, they should write me at baltimorejack at hotmail dot com, and I'll send it to them. Please don't send me a PM here at Whiteblaze as my mailbox is pretty full already.

If it looks like this is really going to take longer than a week or two, I'll probably send Troll each section as I complete them, and then once he gets them all, he can paste the whole thing together into one continuous piece.

But if anyone needs or wants this info immediately (at least the first part), they should get in touch.
:) thanks jack:cool: neo

Buckles
02-09-2007, 13:22
I'm looking forward to the availability of the laminated, accordian-style version! :) :D :cool:

Touch of Grey
02-09-2007, 14:36
Thanks Jack for making that available so soon. I leave in less than 30 days to begin March 12 so I will put some of that to good use. Between your article and the companion I feel I have a good handle on what options are along the way.

Thanks also for taking the time during the bonfire Saturday evening at TDZ for talking with me and some of the other people. I think it was you who tried to talk me into leaving from Damascus last year and doing a flip-flop instead of waiting for this year. It was good to talk with you and many of the others there last year and pick your brains for ideas and suggestions.

Hope to see you and many of the others again this year at TDZ or on the trail.

TOG

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 19:10
I'm looking forward to the availability of the laminated, accordian-style version! :) :D :cool:

I'm looking forward to the one that is actually printed on an accordion.

Fannypack
02-09-2007, 20:13
I'm looking forward to the one that is actually printed on an accordion.
u have an accordion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accordion)?

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2007, 19:16
I had a very rare unexpected half-day off today, so I spent it at Hanover's excellent public library.

Parts Three and Four of the 2007 Re-Supply article (Harpers Ferry to Hanover) have been updated and sent to Jollies, who has been a tremendous help fixing them up and making them easier to read.

They will hopefully be posted to the Articles section of WB soon; Part Five will follow ASAP; I have to do a major revision on the Hanover info asthere's a bunch of things I have to check in re. to newly opened businesses that may be of interest to hikers. In any case, the whole thing should be completed by the end of the week, which is good since I know many of you are leaving for Georgia really soon.

1Pint
02-12-2007, 20:31
Parts Three and Four of the 2007 Re-Supply article (Harpers Ferry to Hanover) have been updated and sent to Jollies ---

This is most excellent Jack! I'm going to be putting my resupply boxes together in about 14 days, so I love having your articles available.

Thanks!!
Laura

jollies
02-13-2007, 00:20
Resupply parts 3 and 4 are on their way to attroll for posting. After the last part, I will have the entire document in a more book-like format. I am still waiting on some comments from my previous posting on this topic. Does anyone like the format of my sample? I am awaiting your input!

attroll
02-13-2007, 01:48
I just added Part 3 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart3) and Part 4 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart4) to the articles.

Jack Tarlin
02-13-2007, 15:08
Jollies:

If mo one else has commented so far, then I will. I think what you've done is great, it makes the article much easier on the eye and much easier for folks to use, and I'm very grateful for your help with this!

Pacific Tortuga
02-13-2007, 16:41
Resupply parts 3 and 4 are on their way to attroll for posting. After the last part, I will have the entire document in a more book-like format. I am still waiting on some comments from my previous posting on this topic. Does anyone like the format of my sample? I am awaiting your input!

It Is A Master Piece Of Jacks Labor Of Love, Bravo! Thank you and Jack, it is so awesome and is the gospel of my mail drops, I can understand why many are speechless.

Earl Grey
02-15-2007, 01:53
Wow this is great info. I plan on printing out this info and taking it with me.

vaporjourney
02-15-2007, 11:32
Wow this is great info. I plan on printing out this info and taking it with me.

I'm considering this as well, but a little worried that this is overplanning, and if I know EXACTLY what i'm going to be doing the whole trip, then I lose the spontaneity, getting lost, wasting time, but meeting cool locals and asking for help and trail magic in the process. Probably take a copy to start, and ditch it if I don't like having too much info. Still, this is really great info to help us all out.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2007, 21:23
Jack, I think I thanked you for your supply article but in case I didn't, thanks again, it went all the way from Georgia to Maine and served as my planning guide.

GlazeDog
02-17-2007, 11:15
Jack--Thanks Again!!!! And you too Jollies!!

GlazeDog

cbs125
02-19-2007, 16:26
great job jack (for the data) and jollies (for the format). i am currently looking over the article and laying it over my current plan to tweak it to hit some of the great places you listed. Come on March 15th

namehere
02-19-2007, 16:30
much thanks Jack!

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2007, 16:42
Thanx guys, Part Five should be finished and up real soon; I get one day off this week, Wednesday, so I'll try and finish it up before I leave for Duncannon on Thursday. Hope to see some of you there!

pants
02-24-2007, 00:01
I've printed out the first four sections of Jack's resupply guide in Times point 8 font, double sided, with 9" x 3.8" dimensions so they fit nicely into my companion. The first I'm taking with me, and the next three I've stuck in the maps they correspond to, so I can't ruin them before i need them, but I'll get them just when I do. I'm eagerly awaiting the 5th section, if it arrives before monday (when I fly to Atlanta) it'll get stuck in the first VT map! I anticipate these will be a great help planning my town stops and such. Also, I'm a naturally indecisive person, and on occasion get sick of making decisions and just need to be told what to do. Thanks Jack!

Boat Drinks
02-24-2007, 10:50
I'm using it make notations in the Companion itself, maybe save some grams... Awesome stuff Jack! Gracias!:sun

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2007, 20:52
Just got back from Duncannon this morning; had the afternoon free, so I just re-wrote Part Five and sent it off to Jollies, who will hopefully clean it up and get it to Troll for posting before too long.

Will add on a list of additions and corrections at some point, but for the moment, it's pretty much done, so I don't have to worry about it for a year or two!!

In any case, I know a lot of you guys are heading out really soon, if not this week, then early in March. Very best wishes to those of you taking off soon, and I hope to see some of you guys out there somewhere.

Blissful
02-26-2007, 22:48
Thanks SO much Jack, for everything. REALLY appreciate it very much. :)

jollies
02-27-2007, 02:27
Part 5 is on it's way to attroll. I also completed the entire booklet format that I have been talking about, which I have also sent to attroll for posting. It is composed of all 5 parts combined into one document, organized on half pages, with page numbers. I hope that you will all take a look and find it useful. Great job with all of your hard work Jack!

attroll
02-27-2007, 02:56
I just added Re-Supply Part 5 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart5) to the articles.

Thank you Jack and Jollies for all you have done.

attroll
02-27-2007, 03:16
I also added the whole book to the articles section. The Re-Supply Book Parts 1 -5 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/articles/resupplybook.pdf).

1Pint
02-27-2007, 10:29
I just added Re-Supply Part 5 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart5) to the articles.

Yippee!! I love this planning stuff! Thanks Jack for the info and Jollies for the great format. :)

Laura

Boat Drinks
02-27-2007, 10:32
Outstanding! Thanks guys!

Skyline
02-27-2007, 10:49
Jack,

I like the brevity and the fact that you mention the existence of places off-trail but if you haven't personally been there you say so upfront. The honesty is refreshing.

Also noted you plan to visit Crabtree Falls this trip. Good move! I recommend hiking "west" on an dirt road about a half-mile from the AT to a camping area near what was a very nice privy last time I saw it. But this is accessible via car or truck so is sometimes busy. So better yet, go further to good camping just BEFORE the top of the Falls where there is an observation area. Next morning, you can take the "trail" (good tread mixed with wooden steps) which parallels the Falls down to the parking lot near VA56 from where you can get to the campground. Unless you're working on another pure thru, no need to retrace the steep Falls Trail; you could just roadwalk from there via VA56 down to where the AT crosses VA56 right before the Tye River Bridge. The views of the surrounding mountains are scenic from the road if walking instead of driving.

Skyline

Jack Tarlin
02-27-2007, 15:12
Thanx Skyline; I've never been here before, so this is realy good to know. I'm told that the falls can be spectacular.

Blissful
02-27-2007, 15:54
Thanx Skyline; I've never been here before, so this is realy good to know. I'm told that the falls can be spectacular.

You should have seen them a few weeks back. Pure ice. Gorgeous. Got a pic of them on my trail journal. But it's a great area. Come too when the rhododendrons are in bloom in the area.

Skyline
02-27-2007, 23:15

If we have good precip this Spring they should be spectacular about the time you come thru. Crabtree is the highest drop among Falls in either Virginia, or maybe it's east of the Mississippi. One of those.