PDA

View Full Version : To the Class of 2007:

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2007, 19:59
I write something like this annnually, but I'm doing it a bit early this year, as it seems we're seeing a lot of early starters this year. Another thread mentioned seeing fifteen (!!) hikers at Neels Gap which seems like a lot this early in February.

I just wanted to take a minute and wish the very best of luck to those of you heading out in the next few weeks, and if anyone has any last minute questions or problems before they leave, here's a great chance to run 'em by us. This is especially directed to the quiet people, or the lurkers, or the folks who come to WB for info but don't care to post. Don't be shy, there's no such thing as a dumb question, and who knows, a lot of folks might benefit from the dialogues you start by asking a simple query.

But mainly tho, to those of you guys who'll be leaving us shortly, have a great trip, let us know periodically how you're getting along, and I hope to see some of you out there at some point.

P.S. I'm going to be starting another thread called "On the Trail 2007" which will be for you guys to check in, if you feel like it, to tell us where you are, how things are going, any new Trail news, whatever.

mountain squid
02-05-2007, 20:11
Good Luck everyone!!!! Stay warm and stay dry. Don't forget the sunscreen. Enjoy yourselves...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hammock engineer
02-06-2007, 01:15
Thanks Jack.

You posted an idea/opinion on another thread about why you thought it was better to start a little later in March to miss some of the weather. It helped convince me to push my date back a little bit.

mike!
02-06-2007, 02:40
thanks Jack and squid!
mike!

Michele
02-06-2007, 12:02
Ok...I'll take the bait. Anyone know where you can buy a tiny travel sized thing of sun screen? I've looked in all of our stores w/no luck. Figure my next step is to just buy a 1 oz bottle and fill it up myself, but I still wondered if they exist. Thanks! (and thanks for all your advice and thoughts Jack!)

Footslogger
02-06-2007, 12:06
Ok...I'll take the bait. Anyone know where you can buy a tiny travel sized thing of sun screen? I've looked in all of our stores w/no luck. Figure my next step is to just buy a 1 oz bottle and fill it up myself, but I still wondered if they exist. Thanks! (and thanks for all your advice and thoughts Jack!)
=============================

This time of year the best place I know of is a ski or winter sports shop. They generally have a little display near the register.

'Slogger

Michele
02-06-2007, 12:08
=============================

This time of year the best place I know of is a ski or winter sports shop. They generally have a little display near the register.

'Slogger

OHHHHH!!! Duh....:p Not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks! I'll check it out.

rafe
02-06-2007, 13:04

Most large chain drug stores have an array of "trial size" containers of all sorts of stuff -- toothpaste, deoderant, shampoo... and yes, sunblock. I've seen these at Bed & Bath also (or was it "Linens & Things"?)

briarpatch
02-06-2007, 13:28
http://www.minimus.biz/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=43

Minimus has all kinds of travel sized things. They have sunscreen in 1 oz tubes and in foil packets.

1Pint
02-06-2007, 13:50
Thanks Jack! You've already been a big help with your resupply article. I appreciate the time and effort you put into that.

Hope to see you on the trail,
Laura

Whistler
02-07-2007, 02:11

Michele, keep an eye out for sunscreen that comes in little tubes like chapstick or gluesticks. I know Banana Boat makes one. They can help keep your hands and gear from getting all goopy...
-Mark

Big Dawg
02-07-2007, 17:27
As a section hiker, I gotta say I'm stoked about starting the trail 3/1 w/ my friend, Diablo, who's thru hiking this year. We're driving down to Amicalola on 2/27, starting the approach trail 2/28, and set foot on the AT March 1. I'll hike to Neels Gap, and then will join him several times on the trail as he heads to Katahdin. See ya on the trail!!! :D

Blissful
02-08-2007, 00:16

Our Wally World had the Banana Boat sunscreen in a 1 0z tube in the travel size dept. Saw it yesterday.

Boat Drinks
02-08-2007, 12:49
After seam sealing my Shires Tarp Tent with the silicone/mineral spirits mixture, I am wondering; should I be able to visibly see and feel the sealant on the seams where I painted? I was expecting a kind of gummy, glue-y type substance. I can barely see where I painted, and hardly feel anything. Did I make the slurry to thin whith too much mineral spirits or is this how it should be?

mindi
02-12-2007, 00:05
Thanks for the well-wishes! My trailjournal is officially up, my last day of work is Feb 23rd, and I'm hitting the trail March 12th. I'm freaking OUT! Hopefully I'll be able to hit a computer once in a great while when I'm out there and post an update on here..

:) Mindi

Sly
02-12-2007, 00:14
After seam sealing my Shires Tarp Tent with the silicone/mineral spirits mixture, I am wondering; should I be able to visibly see and feel the sealant on the seams where I painted? I was expecting a kind of gummy, glue-y type substance. I can barely see where I painted, and hardly feel anything. Did I make the slurry to thin with too much mineral spirits or is this how it should be?

Normally you'd be able to tell. How much mineral spirits did you use? Did you mix it real well? A drill with mixing paddle is best. If in doubt you may want to try again.

Socrates
02-12-2007, 00:23
See you guys out there.