PDA

View Full Version : MacCat Tarps

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-05-2007, 20:10
I am about to order a MacCat Tarp to go with my HH Asym LWBP. It will replace the stock tarp. Now for the question.

Is the Micro MacCat Tarp at 7.4 oz large enough? It appears like it is but I am not sure. I really hate to use the Standard size at 11.8 oz and increase my weight over what it is now. All that have used the Maccat MICRO or seen it with a HH Asym Lightweight Backpacker, pls respond.

Thanks in advance and pls post pictures if available or email them to me

[email protected]

Egads
02-05-2007, 20:39
Brian of OES uses the Standard tarp for winter coverage. I also use the Standard tarp when inclement weather is expected. It has much better coverage than the stock HH tarp.

highway
02-05-2007, 20:53
I am curious why the stock tarp with the Hennessey ultralight asym is so objectionable to some?

It seems short but keeps the rain out when pulled down enough.

Just curious if I was missing something.

BillyBob58
02-05-2007, 22:31
I am curious why the stock tarp with the Hennessey ultralight asym is so objectionable to some?

Not only that, but, though the HH tarp might seem short, when speaking of the 8" longer ultralight model, the HH ultralight explorer asym, the stock HH tarp is 7" longer (on the ridgeline) than the MacCat DELUXE! But I'm not sure that is the case with the HH ULBP tarp vs the MacCat standard. I'm pretty sure the micro, however, would be shorter than the HHULBP.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-05-2007, 23:11
Yes, this is what I need to know. Is the ridgeline as long as the stock HH tarp and how is the coverage along the sides as well.

From my calculations the ridgeline is the same with the Micro vs the stock HH ( 120 inches ). and it appears that you have MORE coverage ( but not longer ) down the sides ( 31 inches ).

If someone could confirm, then many tnxs :)

Egads
02-05-2007, 23:31
The MacCat gives better side coverage from wind and rain. Less wind is better when trying to stay warm & dry.

I don't recall where I saw this (possibly WB galleries) but I 've seen pics of the HH tarp draped over the MacCat tarp. There is a big difference is Sq-Ft of protection on the sides.

hammock engineer
02-06-2007, 01:10
I am about to order a MacCat Tarp to go with my HH Asym LWBP. It will replace the stock tarp. Now for the question.

Is the Micro MacCat Tarp at 7.4 oz large enough? It appears like it is but I am not sure. I really hate to use the Standard size at 11.8 oz and increase my weight over what it is now. All that have used the Maccat MICRO or seen it with a HH Asym Lightweight Backpacker, pls respond.

Thanks in advance and pls post pictures if available or email them to me

[email protected]

I would go with either the Deluxe or the standard if I was you. I have the deluxe and really like it.

On a thread over at hammockforums.net Brian, OES maker, said that the micro was made to give a similar coverage option to the stock HH tarp. If you are looking to increase your coverage I would go bigger.

Brian is really good with his customer service and suggestions. Shoot him an email with your question.

hammock engineer
02-06-2007, 01:12
I forgot to add. I was thinking about making a a micro sized tarp until I measured it out with a tape measure. It is pretty small. IMHO

FanaticFringer
02-06-2007, 01:42
www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

hammock engineer
02-06-2007, 02:19

I just like a big tarp. My hex tarp weighs in at 14.8oz before seam sealing and guy lines for a 12' ridgeline and 10' max width. Gives me plently of room to cook and lunge out of the rain.

The stock tarp doesn't leave a lot of room for error and I don't have the skills. That and I mainly use a homemade speer style hammock.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-06-2007, 09:44
Tnxs everyone and you too FanaticFringer, but i have already seen all of these sites and NOwhere can I find a Picture of the MICRO over the HH Aysm. Most of the pictures just say MacCat and dont tell which one it is. Of course the Deluxe is alot bigger, but I really dont want to increase weight that much ( 13.8 OZ ). The HH Aysm Tarp is 8.25 Oz VS the Micro at 7.4 OZ. Thats cool with me. I may go with the Standard at 11.8 but not unless its alot bigger than the HH Aysm that I have now. The Deluxe is probably out of the question at 13.8 Oz

If anyone has or will take a picture of the stock HH Aysm Tarp over the MacCat MICRO, I would appreciate it.

BTW, I have no problems with the stock HH Tarp, Im just looking for a little bit more coverage ( Ex: to cook under ) than the stock HH Aysm offers. Heck, I may just get a LIGHT RACER A-SYM combine it with the MacCat Standard for a Total weight of only 24 OZ and a Larger fly as well.

Pictures, Pictures I need Pictures :) Thanks again everyone

cargousa
02-06-2007, 14:51
Ok, just through up my tarps in the living room
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15092&c=577

that is the stock HH tarp from a hyperlite on top of a MacCat standard

the hennesey is attached to the rings where the maccat would attach to the hammock...they are the same length basically.

hope that helps!
--cargo

cargousa
02-06-2007, 14:57
BTW I'm not sure how many micro's are out there, but based on the size of the standard, I'm not sure it would be too big of a 'gain' in coverage. I went with the standard for the xtra coverage at the foot end (gotta keep that down underquilt dry!)

--cargo

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-06-2007, 18:55
Ok Thanks Cargo and Brian has responded to me on this matter and I think I'll go with the Standard as per his recommendation.

Thanks again to all for your support and cya down the trail