PDA

View Full Version : trolling

Bryan Mc
02-06-2007, 03:01
can someone enlighten us newbs what you all mean by'trolling' or being a 'troll.' i hear trolling, i think of kicking back on a boat pulling some lures. :-? thanks!

Mags
02-06-2007, 03:09
can someone enlighten us newbs what you all mean by'trolling' or being a 'troll.' i hear trolling, i think of kicking back on a boat pulling some lures. :-? thanks!

This link should enlighten a bit:

http://flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/troller.htm

Basically, it is a person who posts a message for the purpose of stirring things up. "Trolling" for arguements. Your "pulling some lures" analogy was about right!

On most hiking forums, a Troll may post a message
about cell phone, dogs, Wingfoot, etc. etc. for the sole purpose of starting an argument.

Hope this helps!

Sly
02-06-2007, 03:09
It's similar. Trolling for fish. Asking/responding to questions in an attempt to cause controversy etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Sly
02-06-2007, 03:10
LOL... Beat me to it again! Mags is always there 1st when the subject comes up!

RAT
02-06-2007, 03:12
Altho I have known about forum trolls for years, I would have thought about trolls under bridges first LOL of course I have heard trolling defined as blowing through a small long pipe in order to make a fire burn hotter. Anyone else ever hear of that ?

RAT

Sly
02-06-2007, 03:20
Altho I have known about forum trolls for years, I would have thought about trolls under bridges first LOL of course I have heard trolling defined as blowing through a small long pipe in order to make a fire burn hotter. Anyone else ever hear of that ?

RAT

I heard trolls live under bridges (good fishing?), but not about the latter.

The Weasel
02-06-2007, 09:35
Altho I have known about forum trolls for years, I would have thought about trolls under bridges first LOL ***
RAT

All residents of Michigan's lower peninsula are trolls.

The Weasel

Lyle
02-06-2007, 09:36
I heard trolls live under bridges (good fishing?), but not about the latter.

According to the residents of the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, all of us living in the Lower Pennisula are trolls...we live under the bridge.

I guess that's another subject tho'

Lyle
02-06-2007, 09:37
Great Minds think alike. :)

The Weasel
02-06-2007, 09:42
According to the residents of the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, all of us living in the Lower Pennisula are trolls...we live under the bridge.

I guess that's another subject tho'

Far better than being a Yooper, eh?

The Weasel

Moxie00
02-06-2007, 09:52
So, try to explain ATTroll, he never starts arguments, often resolves them and there are no bridges of note in Litchfield , Maine for him to live under. If he lived under a bridge in Maine this year we would have flash frozen troll at the next caratunk hikers feed.

walkin' wally
02-06-2007, 11:12
So, try to explain ATTroll, he never starts arguments, often resolves them and there are no bridges of note in Litchfield , Maine for him to live under. If he lived under a bridge in Maine this year we would have flash frozen troll at the next caratunk hikers feed.

Steve Longley would probably troll ATTroll back and forth across the Kennebec a few times from his canoe and ATTroll would thaw out. :D Then he could sit in his chair on Steve's lawn.
No bridge at the Kennebec yet but that is a different thread.

Newb
02-06-2007, 12:22
It's not to hard to do around here.
Just the other day when I got off from my job at the timber harvesting company I was looking forward to spending some time online here at WhiteBlaze. On the way home stopped at my weekly "Fight the Global Warming Hype" meeting but was embarassed to find that I forgot to bring some snacks for the potluck. I dashed off to the market and picked up some shark-fin soup and whale meat for the gang, so everything ended up going well...

that's a troll :)

orangebug
02-06-2007, 12:49
Did you go there in your new Ford Excursion by yourself, while chatting on your cell phone?

further trolling

1Pint
02-06-2007, 13:46
Did you go there in your new Ford Excursion by yourself, while chatting on your cell phone?

further trolling

... while armed with your kbar and glock for protection and Hillary riding shotgun?

;)

Two Speed
02-06-2007, 13:55
... while armed with your kbar and glock for protection and Hillary riding shotgun?

;)I'd say something about dogs, but Hillary's already in the conversation, so that's covered. :p

OrionTheRanger
02-06-2007, 14:18
:o Hehe. I first heard the phrase Trolling on the Shaodws of Angmar Forums, which is about Lord of the Rings, so I thought it was talking about Trolls like the fiction beast. But I understood the concept of what it ment. To be some one who likes to stir up trouble and start aguements just for the heck of it. Man, am I slapping my forhead now!

Newb
02-06-2007, 15:08
You know those super friendly deer that you meet in Shenandoah Park? The ones that have no fear of humans and will barely move to get out of your way when encounter them? Well...I've been hunting them with a hammer. Is that wrong?

The Weasel
02-06-2007, 17:58
I'd say something about dogs, but Hillary's already in the conversation, so that's covered. :p

Now THAT's a "troll." :banana

The Wesael

Skidsteer
02-06-2007, 19:03
You know those super friendly deer that you meet in Shenandoah Park? The ones that have no fear of humans and will barely move to get out of your way when encounter them? Well...I've been hunting them with a hammer. Is that wrong?

Depends.

Did you whack him from behind while you buddy fed him gorp? That would be bad form.

Two Speed
02-06-2007, 19:44
Depends.

Did you whack him from behind while you buddy fed him gorp? That would be bad form.Yeah, only a newbie would give up their gorp.

REAL hikers feed the deer ramen noodles, then whack 'em.

moxie
02-07-2007, 09:08
The best way to get a deer is to lay down and make a noise like an acorn. Soon either a deer or a turkey will come up and try to eat you. When he opens his mouth grab him by the tounge, hold him and hit him on the head with your hammer. That way you don't waste any gorp.

Skidsteer
02-07-2007, 09:12
The best way to get a deer is to lay down and make a noise like an acorn. Soon either a deer or a turkey will come up and try to eat you. When he opens his mouth grab him by the tounge, hold him and hit him on the head with your hammer. That way you don't waste any gorp.

...or Ramen.

Besides, I hear if you feed them too much Ramen the meat tastes gamey.

Alligator
02-07-2007, 11:28
...or Ramen.

Besides, I hear if you feed them too much Ramen the meat tastes gamey.Tastes like hiker.

The Doctor
02-07-2007, 12:00
A troll is a person who has nothing better to do with their day than try to piss people off on forums. They lack common decency and have a nasty desire for argument. Fortunately there aren't as many trolls on this site as many many others.

Two Speed
02-07-2007, 13:33
Tastes like hiker.Well, I guess a 'gator would know what hiker tastes like if anyone does. :-?

Gray Blazer
02-07-2007, 13:40
Well, I guess a 'gator would know what hiker tastes like if anyone does. :-?Gators know what Buckeyes taste like. (Sorry, Half Pint, I couldn't resist. I'm slapping myself on the wrist right now:mad: .)

Alligator
02-07-2007, 14:19
There's your ramen-fed hikers, your gorp-fed hikers, your Lipton-fed hikers, etc. Plus a lot of variety by location. For instance, GA-hikers generally have a fattier, more marbled appearance to them. If you are looking for a leaner cut, snatch your hiker in say NJ/NY. Don't wait too long though, they get awful stringy by NH/ME, and the caloric content drops precipitously. Best to catch them further south and lay in some hiker jerky for up North.

Two Speed
02-07-2007, 14:29
There's your ramen-fed hikers, your gorp-fed hikers, your Lipton-fed hikers, etc. Plus a lot of variety by location. . .Soooo, do your prefer your hikers marinated in Tennesse whiskey, scotch, brandy? Seems to me that a well-marinated hiker would require less fuel to roast to a golden brown.

1Pint
02-07-2007, 14:35
Gators know what Buckeyes taste like. (Sorry, Half Pint, I couldn't resist. I'm slapping myself on the wrist right now:mad: .)

That's okay Gray Blazer. I'll allow you this one year of gloating (since your team earned it and mine barely even showed up to play!) without comment. But next year the gloves are off and you're in big trouble dude. ;)

1Pint
02-07-2007, 14:37
There's your ramen-fed hikers, your gorp-fed hikers, your Lipton-fed hikers, etc. Plus a lot of variety by location. For instance, GA-hikers generally have a fattier, more marbled appearance to them. If you are looking for a leaner cut, snatch your hiker in say NJ/NY. Don't wait too long though, they get awful stringy by NH/ME, and the caloric content drops precipitously. Best to catch them further south and lay in some hiker jerky for up North.

Would eating a freeze-dried hiker cool you off?

Alligator
02-07-2007, 14:38
Soooo, do your prefer your hikers marinated in Tennesse whiskey, scotch, brandy? Seems to me that a well-marinated hiker would require less fuel to roast to a golden brown.That reminds me, some of the best eating is in towns! A great way to catch a quick meal is to hang around outside of the bars in town. Easy prep and excellent flavor, Kobe Hiker is sure to please. Often, the liver on these trail raised products approaches the flavor of foie gras!

The Weasel
02-07-2007, 14:42
That reminds me, some of the best eating is in towns! A great way to catch a quick meal is to hang around outside of the bars in town. Easy prep and excellent flavor, Kobe Hiker is sure to please. Often, the liver on these trail raised products approaches the flavor of foie gras!

Well, have to admit that weasels lack that much savoir faire.

The Wesael

Alligator
02-07-2007, 14:43
Would eating a freeze-dried hiker cool you off?When forced to eat freeze-dried hiker, I generally prefer a quick reconstitution with hot water. Some gram gators though will soak their FDH in mountain streams overnight, which may impart some chill to the meat.

Alligator
02-07-2007, 14:51
Well, have to admit that weasels lack that much savoir faire.

The WesaelWeasels, being smaller animals, may need to confine their efforts to trail dogs. These too can be an easy catch, best sought out late in the day when they are tired and exhausted.

Further north where the trail dog supply is limited, barn cats can make for an excellent change of pace.

Alligator
02-07-2007, 14:58
In fact, you can track a trail dog from miles away. Just follow the bloody footprints:eek: .

Alligator
02-07-2007, 15:06
On the subject of tracking, it's becoming much easier to grab a meal, even for this ageing Alligator. That clickety-clack of the poles makes ambush almost too easy! I get a real chuckle when hikers think a flimsy pole is going stop me;) . Between you and me, bring a gun next time if you want half a chance.

orangebug
02-07-2007, 15:08
My daddy taught to never bring a gun to a knife fight. Pack a sword!

The Weasel
02-07-2007, 15:10
Weasels, being smaller animals, may need to confine their efforts to trail dogs. These too can be an easy catch, best sought out late in the day when they are tired and exhausted.

Further north where the trail dog supply is limited, barn cats can make for an excellent change of pace.

Well, I'm against dogs on the trail, but, having toured rural China, I think I'll take a pass on further opportunities for dogs. And cats are too much work.

The Weasel

Alligator
02-07-2007, 15:14
My daddy taught to never bring a gun to a knife fight. Pack a sword!Swords are an excellent choice. An alligator will think twice about eating you if you are in possession of a sword. They are excruciatingly painful to pass.

Alligator
02-07-2007, 15:18
Cell phones, on the other hand, will not help you.
"Hey guess where I am, I'm on top of...OMIGOD IS THAT AN ALLIGATOR..."

Much easier to pass and they are only a minor inconvenience until they stop ringing. Alligators refer to the above scenario as "peak-bagged".

The Weasel
02-07-2007, 15:20
Swords are an excellent choice. An alligator will think twice about eating you if you are in possession of a sword. They are excruciatingly painful to pass.

Weasels don't mind swords, unless it's a barn cat that has one.

The Wesael

Alligator
02-07-2007, 15:23
That about covers most of it. While most alligators will suggest you swim the Kennebec, this Alligator suggests you ride the canoe.

The disorientation experienced as the canoe flips makes for a much easier catch:cool: .

Two Speed
02-07-2007, 16:18
That about covers most of it. While most alligators will suggest you swim the Kennebec, this Alligator suggests you ride the canoe.

The disorientation experienced as the canoe flips makes for a much easier catch:cool: .Does the quick rinse improve or degrade the flavor?

Footslogger
02-07-2007, 16:33
Does the quick rinse improve or degrade the flavor?

=============================

Nah ...still tastes like chicken !!

'Slogger

Alligator
02-07-2007, 16:37
Does the quick rinse improve or degrade the flavor?The sudsing is a definite flavor improver and the bubbles make for natural carbonation.

Two Speed
02-07-2007, 16:44
=============================

Nah ...still tastes like chicken !!

'Slogger

The sudsing is a definite flavor improver and the bubbles make for natural carbonation.Sooo, thru-hikers taste like naturally carbonated chicken? And what about the suds? I thought thru-hikers didn't wash, so where does the soap come into the picture? Does the Ferryman provide Doc Bronner's or something?

Heater
02-07-2007, 17:44

I guarantee if you were hiking anywhere aroung me that would NEVER happen!

...the explosions from my trout fishing scares 'em all away.

Alligator
02-07-2007, 17:57
Sooo, thru-hikers taste like naturally carbonated chicken? And what about the suds? I thought thru-hikers didn't wash, so where does the soap come into the picture? Does the Ferryman provide Doc Bronner's or something?You catch 'em near a rapid. It rinses a lot of the sweat off so the salt is not so overpowering. It's like washing down down a chicken Mcnugget with a Sprite, but that lemony/lime taste is replaced by the PCBs.

Skidsteer
02-07-2007, 19:17
I love Whiteblaze.

An innocent question about trolling=:D

1Pint
02-07-2007, 20:14
I love Whiteblaze.

An innocent question about trolling=:D

Me too. Did you notice all The Usual Suspects managed to find our - um, I mean - THEIR way here to carry on a little help with the math of trolling?

And this is how we build a fun community -
take 1 part information
+ a bunch of fun
= one interesting, light-hearted community of hikers who enjoy each other and look forward to meeting in person (if they haven't already.)

The entire "bacon bacon" portion of the SoRuck thread is the sole reason I made the last-minute decision to attend. Life's about the fun you can have along the way. Thanks all for keeping it light. But now I'm really off topic. Sorry!

Homer&Marje
05-09-2009, 10:20
Here you go Chaco Taco:D Have fun with this oldie but goodie:eek:

Rockhound
05-10-2009, 07:43
Trolling? Everyone knows it's all the republicans fault.

Egads
05-10-2009, 09:19
Want to know what trolling is? Read the locked threads on WB.

Egads
05-10-2009, 09:42
There are 12 states where you won't find "the best" pizza. That would be south of NJ and north of NY. Enuf said!

Here's an example :rolleyes:

Homer&Marje
05-10-2009, 10:43
Want to see a trolling thread? This was a great example of the lynch mob mentality of this web site.

Notably...I agree with everything posted:D Proud Hole from Mass

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41949&highlight=Great+massachusetts+hole+debate

dmax
05-10-2009, 19:10
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs043.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Chaco Taco
05-12-2009, 08:52
http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DenamarieErcolani/troll.jpg