PDA

View Full Version : shorts.. and underwear

mike!
02-06-2007, 03:46
just a question im having a hard time with... lets say for the begining of April. what kind of clothes would you wear for your legs? i've traditionally wore boxer briefs with zip of short/pants. but during the day, the pants would sag, the boxers would ride up and would be exaggerated by the hipbelt. in addition, boxer breifs+shorts take longer to dry. kind of annoying, so i tried a nylon short with a liner in it, this system works well, but stays wet for longer then i'd like, and i heard that people take the liner out for hygene reasons? and if you have just shorts, lets say you want to put pants on for camp, but your shorts are dirty and wet, do you just get naked? granted i dont have the privecy of a tent, but a tarp. do you walk off into the woods to get change clothes? or just behind a shelter or something? or just to it in front of everyone excluding girl scouts? any nude etiqute out in the trail? im thinking about going for a pair of lightweight running shorts with no underwear, are there any rubbing issues? any recomendations? a kilt would solve this problem.. but im on the fence about making such a statement.
thanks!
mike!

RAT
02-06-2007, 03:54
I wear swim shorts and if long distance usually take liner out. When comes time to change I just change wether it be behind shelter , behind tarp, walk off a ways, or in front of whoever (girl scouts excluded yes). Not much privacy in da woods, get used to it. I dont have much rubbing issues, carry stuff for that if it happens tho. I think the rubbing depends on your weight and how fat yo legs are ;) That will change quickly tho after a few weeks, heh.

RAT

Jaybird
02-06-2007, 06:42
just a question im having a hard time with... lets say for the begining of April. what kind of clothes would you wear for your legs? i've traditionally wore boxer briefs with zip of short/pants. but during the day, the pants would sag, the boxers would ride up and would be exaggerated by the hipbelt. in addition, boxer breifs+shorts take longer to dry. kind of annoying, so i tried a nylon short with a liner in it, this system works well, but stays wet for longer then i'd like, and i heard that people take the liner out for hygene reasons? .....................ETC.......................... ....mike!

after a month or 2 on the trail...you won't be much concerned with HYGENE!
BUT......WET-WIPES are our friends!:D

hopefulhiker
02-06-2007, 08:02
One problem hikers have is chafing. Some people use Underarmour shorts as a base.. This helps prevent chafing.. You can get knockoffs of these kind of shorts too.. I used them and they work.

bigcranky
02-06-2007, 08:36
I use shorts with liners. I leave the liners in. If I'm in a shelter when I need to change, I either step behind the shelter, or just go into a back corner. You'll find that most hikers will ignore you. Bring something to stand on while you change -- your ground sheet or sit pad, so you don't stand there half naked and barefoot in the mud. (Just a suggestion.)

Toolshed
02-06-2007, 08:38
I have started accumulating REI MTS Boxer Breifs when there is a sale (they are not cheap at $18 a pop) and have found they really help with the chafing problem, wear well and dry quickly. I have for years worn "tights" style shorts (biking shorts without the pad) and have been pleased, but the REIs are a little less compressive and a bit more comfortable for the boys, letting them air out a bit better. Over them I wear light nylon shorts.

I still sometimes get chafing/monkey butt and the like, but I carry bodyglide to prevent it and Desitin for relief (If I get it in the heat of summer)

As for changing, One thing I noticed is that you can change in your tarp or walk off into the woods a bit or just go behind the shelter, very few notice, simply because everyone usually has their attention focused to what is happening right in the center of the group or shelter and not off in the periphery.

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 09:02
patagonia silkweight boxers . use them or die.

unl1988
02-06-2007, 09:03
A good pair of quality running shorts should work out well. Nike makes a pretty good pair in their Dri-Fit collection. I have worn them a lot on section hikes and have had no chafing problems. They do get wet when you sweat or if it rains, but they dry out pretty well. I normally carry two pairs, one for walking, one for around camp.

I agree with Rat, if you have larger (fat) legs, you will chafe, pick up a couple of pairs of spandex shorts to wear as a base layer, and that should solve the problems.

As for changing, wherever you feel comfortable. Normally, I go behind the shelter or over by the privy, most folks will notice that you are changing and avert their eyes if they so desire.

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 09:03
in fact, while were on the subject of me,....... if you carry one single thing different from me , you will die.

hammock engineer
02-06-2007, 09:09
I was wondering the thing last spring. This summer I tried nylon with liner, nylon without liner alone, nylon no liner with boxers, and nylon no liner with boxer briefs. I tried this with different day hikes over the summer and fall.

Nylon sans liner alone work out for me. If that changes I'll try something else along the way. My smartwool light weight long underwear might loose they legs so to speak.

hammock engineer
02-06-2007, 09:10
in fact, while were on the subject of me,....... if you carry one single thing different from me , you will die.

I hope you plan on carrying a hammock.;)

Lyle
02-06-2007, 09:14
and if you have just shorts, lets say you want to put pants on for camp, but your shorts are dirty and wet, do you just get naked? granted i dont have the privecy of a tent, but a tarp. do you walk off into the woods to get change clothes? or just behind a shelter or something? or just to it in front of everyone excluding girl scouts? any nude etiqute out in the trail?
mike!

Any of the above. I guess it's a function of your own personal modesty.

I usually change quietly in the back of the shelter, sometimes inside the sleeping bag. Depends on conditions in the shelter.

More than just a few hikers will just announce, "I'm changing now, so if you don't want to see, don't look." This gives those who may be embarassed or offended by "accidentally" seeing something the opportunity to look away. Of course it also gives anyone who wants, the opportunity to get a good look, as I said earlier, It depends on your own level of modesty.

TurkeyBacon
02-06-2007, 09:19
If you have fat legs you will get chafing???? At some point in time, regardless of your leg size you will probably get chaffing and yes, it HURTS (women are not excluded). Modesty is much less. Your sleeping bag works for modesty. Every now and a long then someone will just change in the darkness of the shelter, but anyware that affords you privacy will work. I used the swim liners and they worked for most trail. The stopped working in Maine and I realy wish I had the insight to change to bike shorts (what every you call them). Don't diss a kilt but get a real kilt or it will look funny... Of course I saw more than one male in pain switch to a thrift store skirt. Many trail women find then attractive.
If I were to hike again, I would use the bike shorts and not worry about trail modesty.
TB

PJ 2005
02-06-2007, 09:21
boxer briefs (athletic) offer a billion times more comfort than liners imo.

changing? psh!

Alligator
02-06-2007, 10:13
Change behind the shelter or in the inside back.

If someone's nearby, I generally let them know I'm changing. Give the person a second to process what you say. Blurting out "I'm changing" and dropping your drawers usually has a contrary effect. The sudden statement often causes people to swing heads around, as they are usually doing something and not paying attention. "What?!" This can be quite humorous if you are facing the back wall:jump .

Beginning April, I might be in fleece shorts, synthetic briefs. A little warmer--swim trunks no liner.

fonsie
02-06-2007, 10:25
Personly I wear boxer breafs by under armor. Just something about having the sweat wicked away from you nads. Besides it helps with the shafing.

Buckles
02-06-2007, 10:56
Under Armour Boxer/Briefs. Wicks sweat and no chafing. Their ColdGear line is great as long underwear.

gold bond
02-06-2007, 16:12
I have chaffed after a couple of days in biker shorts. I've thought about changing to the patagonia's as well but haven't heard alot about them either way. So UA makes a boxer short or is it the biker shorts your talking about?

gearhound
02-06-2007, 17:57
Give the ex officio boxer briefs a try. These were recommended by RedneckRye to me about a year ago and since then my whole underwear wardrobe has gone to these. Two or three pair should be plenty, and they last a really long time. I carry two for anything over a week, and wash them at some point.

http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=56cfd65a-3149-4f7b-8e2b-24e9575b5a25&key=e326aebc-4e61-4ec9-82d8-c68081a70b46

As for changing I just go off in the woods if the weather is good or ask if anybody minds if I change in the shelter if the weather is bad.

rswanson
02-06-2007, 19:00
I have chaffed after a couple of days in biker shorts. I've thought about changing to the patagonia's as well but haven't heard alot about them either way. So UA makes a boxer short or is it the biker shorts your talking about?
They are compression boxer/briefs simliar to biker shorts but without the padding, etc. Seams are well placed and the waistband is very low profile. I also have problems with bunching and slippage at the waist, but not with these. I use the Heat Gear compression shorts in the summer. They're fantastic, actually cooling your skin as they wick moisture and it evaporates. In colder weather I tend to use tights so I don't have experience with the Cold Gear variety.

gold bond
02-06-2007, 19:43
I think you are right. The seams or something starts to rub after a few days. I seem o.k after a day or two then on that third day...oyeee!

Whistler
02-07-2007, 02:06
Another vote for the tight boxer-briefs a la Under Armor. I wear them under a pair of high-cut running shorts. Works great.
-Mark

Marta
02-07-2007, 07:01
My husband swears by the incredibly-named Assos Chamois Creme. (It must sound better to the Swiss.) He's a cyclist, not a hiker, but says this stuff is great for eliminating chafing. The jar also says it helps prevent bacterial and fungal infections.

TurkeyBacon
02-07-2007, 10:45
Can we figure out a name for tight fitting shorts. The name bike shorts comes from the company that originally made them (Bike) not the shorts used by cyclist. Under armor is just another brand name too. To my knowledge, boxer briefs are different than the tight fittings ones, or am I wrong? Compression shorts seems to be dictionarily correct. Or maybe we could create a new name to realy confuse people.
Any other thoughts and standardizing a name for hiker underwear?
TB

chicote
02-07-2007, 15:37
This happens sometimes like Xerox and Kleanex and Q-tip. Compression Shorts would probably fit the bill.

Jim Adams
02-07-2007, 18:31
I tend to chafe in warmer temps. I'm going to try the UA just because I do like wearing shorts but if it doesn't work I will continue with my kilt. My Sport Kilt ended chafing for me.
geek

Toolshed
02-07-2007, 20:07
Can we figure out a name for tight fitting shorts. The name bike shorts comes from the company that originally made them (Bike) not the shorts used by cyclist. Under armor is just another brand name too. To my knowledge, boxer briefs are different than the tight fittings ones, or am I wrong? Compression shorts seems to be dictionarily correct. Or maybe we could create a new name to realy confuse people.
Any other thoughts and standardizing a name for hiker underwear?
TB

I think the referrel to the name Bike Shorts is to "Biking Shorts" and not specifically to clothing from Bike Athletic company. I wasn't aware that Bike made the original compression short. I thought the compression short was a take-off from Campagnello biking shorts that were around in the late 70's early 80's.

I beleive boxer brief is a form fitting boxer - At leat that what all mine say on the label (as opposed to boxers). I beleive the boxer briefs give the boys more support a opposed to boxers.

Otherwise folks can say bike shorts, biking shorts, compression shorts, lycra shorts, tights shorts and I pretty much know what they are referring to.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-08-2007, 06:03
in fact, while were on the subject of me,....... if you carry one single thing different from me , you will die.Matthewski, thou must immediately switcheth to microfiber granny panties or thou shall surely die. So saith the The Dino :D

In cold weather and times when the female dino is too fluffy, I use insulating compression shorts. They keep the dino tail warm and the dino thighs from igniting from friction. In warmer weather I opt for a skirt and commando unless the thighs are rubbing - then I use a trick one of the other ladies taught me - lightweight compression shorts with the crotch removed.

Cycling shorts have padding in the crotch area or a a flap of material to add such padding. Compression shorts normally don't. Bike was the manufacturer for both years ago and the name did become associated with both.

Toolshed
02-08-2007, 08:06
... Bike was the manufacturer for both years ago and the name did become associated with both.

F'ing Dino
I am not so sure..... follow the link Assos (http://www.assos.com/en/1976/)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-08-2007, 08:38
While Assos is a well-known tech brand in cycling, Bike Athletic has been the mass manufacturer associated with this sort of product in the US.

skyhiker2
02-08-2007, 09:16
I'll we be getting naked in the middle of camp,, and probaly walking around nake,, Yes especially if there are girl scouts around;; and Gril Scout masters...

Toolshed
02-08-2007, 09:35
F'ing Dino,
30 years of road biking and have worn dozens of pairs of various euro and US brands of biking shorts and this is the first time I have heard that BIKE is the mass manufacturer of biking shorts.
I just went to BIKE's web site and can find nothing on biking shorts. Plenty on what I have known them for - Cups and jocks :)

Where are you getting your info? :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-08-2007, 10:03
Where are you getting your info? :-?From my memory of when they first became available in the late 1970's and what they were called. Bike Atheltics still sells compression shorts (http://www.bikeathletic.com/SportsMed_PerformanceUnderwear.aspx) under the Bike name, but markets its cycling clothing under the subsidary Russell Athletics

madstang
02-08-2007, 10:05
For thrifty (translated "cheap") peoples, I have found synthetic sweat pants that work well for cold weather. I have a pair that I cut off to the length I like to use as under shorts. They will work their way down on their own. To remedy that problem, I wear my regular underwear over them (yes - two pair). The adjustable length pre-cut allows me to cover where I chafe.

I don;t get to spend enough time hiking to get rid of the fat legs mentioned above - skinny people that don't sweat....

Toolshed
02-08-2007, 10:58
From my memory of when they first became available in the late 1970's and what they were called. Bike Atheltics still sells compression shorts (http://www.bikeathletic.com/SportsMed_PerformanceUnderwear.aspx) under the Bike name, but markets its cycling clothing under the subsidary Russell Athletics

F'ing Dino - Ya Killin' me here. :) If Russell is a subsidiary, When did they make biking shorts? Or are you saying they are a contract manufacturer and make the product which is labeled under Trek, Cannondale, Campagnolo Performance, Nashbar and others?

shiningpathb4me
02-08-2007, 11:24
I use those Columbia or Magellan converible pants. I'm not sure what else to call them. The legs attach with zippers. I carry 1 pair and wear the other. I carry only one set of the legs. I cut out the mesh built in underwear so it won't chafe. I don't wear underwear for the same reason. At night I sleep in my polypro 'skier' underwear (longjohns and long sleeved shirt) while my clothes air out on a line.

If its cold, between the polypros, leg extensions, and gators, I don't need 'rain pants'.

shiningpathb4me
02-08-2007, 11:36
F'ing Dino - Ya Killin' me here. :) If Russell is a subsidiary, When did they make biking shorts? Or are you saying they are a contract manufacturer and make the product which is labeled under Trek, Cannondale, Campagnolo Performance, Nashbar and others?

Russell and Bike are subsidiaries of H.D. Brown in Waterloo, Ontario. Russell is headquartered in Auburn/Opelika Alabama and is one the the largest American sports apparell manufacturers.

http://www.hdbrown.com/