PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cooking - Question

sherrill
02-06-2007, 09:51
Hi everyone,

My wife and I regularly wash out and reuse our plastic bags. We do this not only to save money but to try to minimize our impact on putting plastic back into our landfills.

Never having used this method, I was wondering, do folks who do reuse the bags, or just toss them out? From some research I've seen this method promoted as a way to minimize cleanup and this is what sparked my interest.
It seems to be a very convenient way to cook but it seems that it would also be costly (in terms of bags) as well as somewhat of a waste generator (not just for landfills but having to carry them out).

Please, please, I'm not trying to flame anyone here or pass any sort of judgement, simply just a question that arose while investigating different ways of cooking on the trail. I'd like to hear if you regularly cook this way and why it works for you. Thanks!

peanuts
02-06-2007, 10:31
sherrill, i too reuse my freezer bags until they can not longer be used. that includes the one i use on the trail.

saimyoji
02-06-2007, 10:34
Wash out your freezer bag by rinsing with water, drinking the rinse water until its satisfactorily(?) clear. Many people do this. :)

stag3
02-06-2007, 11:18
Mine go immediately into the trash.

Stag3

sarbar
02-06-2007, 11:54
Most are recyclable btw. All you have to do is rinse when you get home. But I'll be honest:
I recycle 75% or more or our garbage at home. If I throw away 10 bags a month I just don't sweat it! I know I have more than made up for it ;)

sherrill
02-06-2007, 15:35
Thanks for the input, guys! I'll definitely give this way of cooking a go, although I'll be the one drinking up the rinse (no way my wife would).

Lilred
02-06-2007, 16:48
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of freezer bag cooking if you're just going to rinse out the bags and reuse them? Why bother with using bags, more trash, more money. If you're going to rinse out anyhow, why not just use a pot?

Jimmers
02-06-2007, 17:13
Not really. It's still much easier than washing out a pot, especially if you don't reuse the bags. I hate scrubbing cheese sauce! :D

joedannajr
02-06-2007, 18:03
I always reuse my ziplock bags, but I never cook in them. I try to limit my impact on the environment as much as possible (within reason).

Skidsteer
02-06-2007, 18:57
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of freezer bag cooking if you're just going to rinse out the bags and reuse them? Why bother with using bags, more trash, more money. If you're going to rinse out anyhow, why not just use a pot?

Exactly.

That's the reason I freezer bag cook.

Having said that, I will reuse bags that originally held 'dry' food like jerky, crackers, gorp, etc.

Doctari
02-07-2007, 09:12
I reuse, or not, depends on the situation at the time.

Almost all of my food is in a freezer ziplock (when on a week or less hike) anyway, so I just add water. But, when on a trip where I need to re-supply, I'll save a few.
Usually I use a ziplock no more than about 4 times for storage, 2 X for cooking. Can't tell you why I do that, I just do.

Doctari.