PDA

View Full Version : Boosting complete protein via combining veggies

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2007, 11:03
The female dino's doctor (hereafter called that nasty woman - TNW :D) has strongly encouraged the female dino to drastically reduce her intake of animal fats... meaning eggs, sausage, bacon and butter are off the feamle dino menu. (Toes are naturally low in fat and will remain on the menu)

Many years ago, a book came out describing how to combine veggie proteins (which have an incomplete amino acid profile) to boost the total protein available from a meal. One of the combos was corn and beans.

I've found that by combining pureed beans with grits and some fat-free cheese I'm able to get roughly the same amount of protein I was getting before TNW took away all of my favorite breakfast foods and don't get hungry nearly as quickly as I did with grits alone. I'm passing this on to those who worry about getting enough protein on the trail.

Alligator
02-06-2007, 11:19
I read in the not too distant past that the requirements to blend the amino acids can be relaxed. That is, you may have a window of opportunity, something like 6-12 hours. I've seen this mentioned a couple of times but do not have a handy reference.

White beans puree nicely--great northern, navy, white kidneys.

sarbar
02-06-2007, 11:58
I have been slowly removing a huge amount of animal products in my diet, and have found that canned beans dry great for the trail. I eat them with rice, couscous and pasta :) Tasty too!

saimyoji
02-06-2007, 12:01
Keep in mind that cooking denatures some of the protein, amino acids you seek. Eat 'em raw. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2007, 21:44
::: passes gas on saimyoji's toes as a result of eating raw beans :::

Webs
02-06-2007, 21:49
http://www.suttonsbayspices.com/Dried_Produce.html

this link has a bunch of dried beans and veggies, and they seem to be reasonably priced. Also, JustVeggies brand has dried tofu, as well as veggies and fruits. Also, I've recently gotten hooked on PureProtein brand bars, (which have either 20g or 32g, depending on the size) and SouthBeach. don't know how those would fit into a tight budget, though...

saimyoji
02-07-2007, 00:51
::: passes gas on saimyoji's toes as a result of eating raw beans :::

::laughs as FD's ass explodes from gas ignited by my stove tinkering::

Seriously though, I've been investigating this same idea....the raw veggies are the way to go, though I understand about weight savings by using dried veggies. Drying can be accomplished without denaturing the proteins/amino acids. :sun

map man
02-07-2007, 23:58
When I googled the term "complete vegetable proteins," oddly enough, the first article on the list had a nice table of which incomplete vegetable protein sources it's best to combine (sorry I haven't figured out how to do links yet). You might find that handy reading. Like Alligator said, researchers are now saying that combining these proteins in the same meal is not essential but can instead be combined over the course of several hours, and that's a change in thinking since the original veggie bible, "Diet For a Small Planet," came out in 1971.

The most commonly mentioned "complete" vegetable proteins are, first, soy, and secondly, quinoa. I know that more and more ways of getting quinoa into the diet (it has a bit of a nutty flavor), notably through cereals and pastas, are becoming more common, but products with quinoa tend to still be on the rare side and a bit pricey. I get most of my protein from powdered soy and pea proteins and also from nuts, and it's working out well for me, but it's not for everybody. Good luck finding combinations that suit YOUR tastes.

And you might find it useful to know, Ms. Dino, that I missed stuff like barbequed ribs for a few weeks after I went vegetarian 25 years ago, but it didn't last long. And as for trail food, it's cool to see that a lot of the funky energy bar makers, like Clif Bar and Odwalla, use only vegetable proteins in at least most of their foods (if not all).

TurkeyBacon
02-08-2007, 11:08
"Keep in mind that cooking denatures some of the protein, amino acids you seek. Eat 'em raw. :D"
The acid in your stomach denatures them too... In fact you do not absorb protiens, you absorb amino acids. Don't scorch them and turn them into charcoal, but cooking proteins does not hurt the nutritional intake.
TB (lab geek)

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 11:23
pureed beans with grits and some fat-free cheese vs eggs, sausage, bacon and butter.

I extend my deepest sympathies during this time of loss.:D

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 11:26
::laughs as FD's ass explodes from gas ignited by my stove tinkering::

:banana DINO-MITE reply:dance

saimyoji
02-08-2007, 12:08
pureed beans with grits and some fat-free cheese vs eggs, sausage, bacon and butter.

I extend my deepest sympathies during this time of loss.:D

Actually, I think this sounds pretty good. A little Tabasco, some piping hot green tea to wash down eat bite..... :-? Not so bad....:cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-08-2007, 14:58

I extend my deepest sympathies during this time of loss.:DCondolences gratefully accepted. And I agree saimyoji gives as well as he receives.

minnesotasmith
02-08-2007, 15:34
Is the section and diagrams on that subject in the vegetarian-as-religion book "Diet For a Small Planet". It's by Francis Lappe, if memory serves. Don't buy the book; just get your hands on one long enough to xerox off the short section you need. (Half the book was vegetarian recipes, and much of the rest could have been written by ALF types if they were trying to seem mainstream.)

mweinstone
02-08-2007, 15:58
diet for a small planet is the bible of nutrition and dino you dont need to post how its the first book you ever read on the subject, we all did.great call mr zachary smith.we may all very well be lost in space but your still the doctor. now , back to my favoite prehistoric. lady dino,...dont lean to heavily on man cures. you know as well as any, prayer heals. and it may even heal you other ways.breathatairians rule! food is irelevent1 you will be asimilated! join us!

Phil1959
02-08-2007, 17:06
Not sure if this makes any sense to you all,but being Italian,we have learned ya eat a well balanced amount of everything! And make sure ya have some wine and beer from our German friends, and you out DO and LIVE most everyone! Seems simple to me!