PDA

View Full Version : Most AT Miles

Former Admin
09-22-2002, 20:46
Does anyone know who has hiked the most AT miles to date? I think its Warren Doyle, but i'm not sure on this. I know Seiko was doing his 13th thru-hike this year.

Hammock Hanger
09-22-2002, 21:00
but 13 thrus??? There are so many wonderful places in this country. I figure I will always be drawn to the AT and someday would love to do a thru with my husband by my side. On the other hand I can't wait to get on to this years Allegeny Hike, my April hike on the Bartam Trail, then there is the Colorado, CDT, PCT and 1000's of other lesser known trails. There is one in Idaho where you hike from hot spring to hot spring... HH

Former Admin
09-22-2002, 21:55
I agree with you Hammock, even after I complete the trail I feel I will still hike it in sections, the AT is such a unique trail, however there alot of other great trails i'd like to explore.

EarlyRiser
09-22-2002, 22:07
i think id hike the at atleast twice before going on to others (or maybe go on to others but still plan on going back to the at again) i dont know why its just somthing about the at that draws me. but i really wanna hike as many others as well. i regret that i have but one life to live for the trail.

SGT Rock
09-22-2002, 22:22
I sort of make a list as I go along of places I want to hike someday. The AT is the big drem, but after that is The Wonderland Trail, Glacier National Park, Jon Muir, The Colorado Trail, etc. Maybe I'll even try for a triple crown after I retire. All I know is there isn't enough time in my life to hit everywhere I want to go, but any trail, anywhere is worth the time spent on it.

If I win the lottery I'll become a hiker bum.

Peaks
09-23-2002, 07:33
So many trails, so little time.

Kerosene
09-23-2002, 18:01
Don't forget Isle Royale, Superior Hiking Trail, Finger Lakes Trail, Long Trail, The Ozarks, North Country Trail, Cohos Trail, Muir Trail, Great Divide Trail (Canada), and others around the world! Someday I'll finish the AT so I can take on some of these others when I retire!

MedicineMan
03-15-2003, 00:46
Met Seiko just shy of Hogpen gap a couple of weeks ago, just asked how far to the gap, he gestured and we both moved on

Blue Jay
03-15-2003, 08:57
I've always considered this question to be comperable to asking someone who is happily married. "Why would you want to make love to the same woman so many times"? A very rude question (like I'm never rude).

Mala
03-15-2003, 11:08
I have known Seiko for many years, as a matter of fact we were in the Nam at the same plase and time (101st Airborne)we didn't meet.

He told me last year that he had 30,000 AT miles and he has done close to 500 this year.

Oh by the way all of these were with a pack on unlike the Doylie who does't carry a pack.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2003, 16:24
As far as I know, Mala is correct. Seiko (in addition to being a great, great guy) is the most accomplished hiker I know. If he's not out hiking when you get there, you may run into him, if you're lucky, near Kincora.

Jumpstart
03-15-2003, 18:43
Seiko was kind enough to host a manicotti dinner for a group of us at Kincora Hikers Hostel when we passed trhough there in 2002. He is an amazing guy, full of interesting stories. At the time I met him, I had no idea he had done so many miles, he certainly doesn't brag about it. Good for him for holding the record, he's a great guy.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2003, 00:33
He doesn't hold the "record"

PushingDaisies
03-16-2003, 11:26
Originally posted by Jumpstart
Seiko was kind enough to host a manicotti dinner for a group of us at Kincora Hikers Hostel

Seiko is a great cook, isn't he? :) And a very, very gracious host.

Pirate
03-18-2003, 13:16
these guys are rookies!!!

Pirate
03-18-2003, 13:16
these guys are rookies!!!

warren doyle
09-08-2003, 20:02
Until I hear information differently, I have serious doubts as to 'Seiko's claims to how many times he has walked the entire Appalachian Trail.

attroll
09-09-2003, 00:16
I always thought it was either Blatimore Jack or Warren Doyle who might of held the record.

Lone Wolf
09-09-2003, 07:42
B. Jack has a ways to go before he has any mileage record.

Blue Jay
09-09-2003, 09:07
This tread reminds me of a bunch of drunk guys sitting around discussing who has the biggest member.

warren doyle
09-09-2003, 12:10
The first half of your reply Blue Jay doesn't apply to me because I am a teetotaler, however the second half.....

warren doyle
09-09-2003, 13:15
Blue Jay, I don't drink but I have walked the ENTIRE Appalachian Trail more times than anyone else (12 times). The next closest is Ward Leonard who has walked the AT 10 times.

Blue Jay
09-09-2003, 14:43
Sorry it's just my jealousy showing. I totally believe you and have respect for all who attempt and complete the AT.

Hydromagnt
09-09-2003, 14:44
I agree w/ Blue Jay 100%

Lone Wolf
09-09-2003, 17:23
Warren Doyle is extremely credible. Unlike many others in the so-called "trail community" Most of the nay-sayers started hiking in the 90s. ALDHA is W.D.

A-Train
09-09-2003, 21:20
If you wanna talk supported or unsupported, well that might be a different story :)
A-Train 03

Lone Wolf
09-09-2003, 21:35
You're a 1 time thru-hiker A Train. You no nothing about W.D. Did you slack? Did you blue blaze?

A-Train
09-10-2003, 00:22
Lone Wolf-im not trying to start arguments or discrediting Warren Doyle, im simply as i said playing devils advocate. I've been told that many of his hikes were van supported or in groups of folks. Thats the only point im making.
As for my hike, i slackpacked a couple times, mostly to avoid taking zeros while family were visiting me, and no i never blue-blazed. That was a personal choice i made based on my desires. "only 1 thru-hike" is good enough for me. It was a wonderful and unique experience. I don't need to hike it 22 more times to prove im the AT Trail god or anything. I loved it and thats it.
And the debate about what is a thru-hike and whats not (i.e. carrying a pack, van supported, blue-blazed etc.) is not something i want to get into-its been so dreadfully dragged out over the years. And what would you want from my beginner outlook anyway.
p.s. i helped you move some heavy piece of something at that restraunt (old mill?) in damascus. The owner then charged me just a buck for a milkshake-nice guy
Peace
A-Train 03

chris
09-10-2003, 08:29
Why the hostility Larry? I think the issue of supported or not supported is an important one for most people. Few people will have, or want, the opportunity to do a van supported hike. I hiked with two people (and met four others) this summer who were doing a van hike. Did they hike any less than I did? Nope. But, problems I had to face and deal with were non-existent for them. Since the last (I don't know how many) few thru hikes that Mr. Doyle (hey, he is a legend after all) did were in the expedition format, his experiences are going to be rather different than a more traditional thruhiker. I don't think that A-Train meant to imply that WD's hikes don't count. Just that the last few have been rather different because of the van component.

warren doyle
09-10-2003, 10:34
Wowee zowee! This info superhighway thing is something else. It is interested to see what one can say/write being 'faceless'.
Will I become trapped in the web and caught in the net? I'll try to stick with the facts rather than the myths.
I never claimed to have 'backpacked' the entire trail, only to walk it following the white blazes the ENTIRE way.
I would imagine I have backpacked the entire trail maybe only four times out of my twelve 'walks' up the ENTIRE Appalachian Trail. So are people satisfied now? Do you feel better about yourself?
I still backpack when the circumstances allow it to happen (like for about two weeks this summer).
As to those few people who carry 40-60 pounds on their backs for a typical hiking season thru-hike (spring/summer/early fall) on the AT and criticize or question the fortitude of lightweight backpackers who thru hike:
I learned a long time ago (for myself that is), that it is far better and less painful to be a 'SMART' hiker rather than a 'STRONG' hiker.
I don't consider myself a god. I'm only an educator who enjoys spending some of my free time walking through the wonderful Appalachian mountains on a fascinating trail. Anyone who has done this for over 30 years is bound to accumulate some miles.

Blue Jay
09-10-2003, 10:51
Mr. Doyle, this cannot be your first encounter with the Purist Culture. They believe that if you are not a pack mule you have not suffered as they have. I'm going to start an ultrapurist faction where not only do I wear a heavy pack but I flogg my chest with every step, then declare myself superior.

TJ aka Teej
09-10-2003, 11:02
Seiko and Spooky Boy have done the most backpacking miles on the AT. Jack's done the most backpacking through hikes. I've never heard any of them brag about it, though.

Lone Wolf
09-10-2003, 11:16
Where do you get your info? How long have you been in the trail "community". I guess you never heard of Michael P. Jones, Leonard Atkins, Hikeaholic, Umbrella Lady. I can keep going. These folks have as many or more miles than the guys you mentioned. Why do you refer to Ward as Spooky Boy? He has a mental illness beyond his control. Have you ever met him?

A-Train
09-10-2003, 15:04
Id like to say that i am not a part of or consider myself p[art of the mentioned "purist group" that mr. Doyle must have to face often. I did hike every mile on the trail, but i dont consider myself a purist at all. Im not opposing him for hiking without a pack. I think hes accomplishments are great ones that should be celebrated-and lets face it-walking the length of the AT is a tough thing backpack or none. This post, as well as Lone Wolfs comments that I and others don't know warren, inspired me to learn more about mr. doyle and what he has done for the AT community and ALDHA. Previously the only avenue i knew him from was the 'how to hike the AT' video i watched over and over before my hike where he has a beautiful monologue at the end of the film.
This started with folks unfamiliar about the at asking who had the most miles. I was simply pointing out what i knew, which was that he did not hike all those times with a pack. Getting into the debate of pack v.s. not is something we dont need to get into.
As for asking "how long have you been in the at community"? Wolf, i find has no relevence. Whether someone has hiked once or 20 times that should not be a measuring stick for what someone does or doesnt know. TJ was simply stating some facts.
The AT "community" I know (of the present) that i experienced on the Trail this year was one filled with great people who didnt care how much you knew or had hiked on the AT, but simply that you cared for it and preserved it for others.
A-Train

Jack Tarlin
09-11-2003, 14:37
L.Wolf quite rightly said "B. Jack has a ways to go before he has any mileage record." Wolf left out something significant: B. Jack also has no interest whatsoever in pursuing or achieving this record, a "record" that would be impossible to verify, and more important, a "record" that nobody really cares about anyway.

A few quick comments: I tend to believe Seiko actually does have something like 30,000 AT miles, tho nobody knows for sure, not even him. He's a very private, very modest, very unassuming man, who rightly believes that such matters are insignificant. Thus, you'll NEVER see him posting his accumulated mileage in Trail registers, you'll never see him crowing on the Internet about his hiking resume; you'll never see him here snidely questioning what other people have or haven't done. He simply doesn't care, and is secure enough about himself and his place in the hiking world that he doesn't feel the need to constantly brag about what he's done.

Lastly, is a 120-day slackpack with car support a thru-hike? Well, sure it is, but in most folks' minds, this is NOT what they're thinking about when they hear about someone hiking the entire A.T. They generally assume you BACKPACKED it, so if a good portion of one's trail mileage came about while carrying a Nalgene and an orange, being met at road crossings with goodies, and with all one's gear following along in a van......well, one should be totally honest about it. After all, 2/3 of Bill Bryson's A.T. mileage was accumulated as a day-walker with car support. Does anyone think he's a great hiker? And does Bryson himself pretend that he is or was? Of course not. He's honest about what he did and what he did not do, and he never tried to give anyone a false impression. Nor was he addicted to constant boasting and self-promotion. The fact is, nobody really cares about who's hiked the most, the furthest, or the fastest, and those who make a big deal of reminding folks about their "accomplishments" and "records" tend to make themselves ridiculous. It is the mark of the insecure man to always feel the need to tell people what you've done. Fact is, nobody really cares.

gravityman
09-11-2003, 15:50
Great post Jack! However, to warren's defense, he didn't ask the question. Until people who ASK the question are educated about why it doesn't matter, there will always be people interested in the answer.

You're starting to sound a bit like the 'Nut ;)

Gravity Man

Lone Wolf
09-11-2003, 15:59
Oh and Jack, as far as listing accomplishments I recall seeing many shelter register entries by you followed by AT thru-hike 95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02 or something like that. Also you slackpack a lot so you never really backpacked the whole AT. Fact is nobody really cares.

TJ aka Teej
09-11-2003, 16:01
Originally posted by L. Wolf
Fact is nobody really cares.

Wow.. Wolf got something right.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2003, 16:07
I detect sarcasm in your words sweetie!

TJ aka Teej
09-11-2003, 16:10
Typing is a very poor form of communication Wolf, yet we try..
And that's *Mr* Sweetie to you! :D

chris
09-11-2003, 16:14
People do care. Why do you think people take Jack's (and sometimes Wolfy's) opinions so seriously? Or Warren Doyle's, for that matter? The experience that comes with a thru hike, however you wish to define it, is golden. The knowlege that comes with it is solid. Much more so than someone sitting in an office somewhere theorizing. What people don't care about are records or statistics (except for those who also know who played flanker for the '59 Vols).

Lone Wolf
09-11-2003, 16:19
HERE,HERE Chris!! Actually I think I hold the record for hiking from Wautauga shelter to Damascus, 39 miles in 11 hours 50 minutes with full pack back in 93.:banana But who cares?!

chris
09-11-2003, 16:23
That's super, Larry.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2003, 16:24
It's Lone.

MOWGLI
09-11-2003, 16:29
I recall seeing many shelter register entries by you followed by AT thru-hike 95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02 or something like that.

I guess that makes Jack (by his own definition) a "ridiculous" and "insecure man".

If you want to see a textbook way of taking a shot at somebody, without ever mentioning the person's name who you are attempting to malign, take another look at BJ's posting.

Moon Monster
09-11-2003, 23:30
The most important thing on my mind while on the Trail is food, and Seiko does make a dern fine cheesecake. And its his cheesecake that first comes to my mind first when I hear his name, not his 13 hikes.

While we're all thinking about names of folks with lots of AT miles, does anybody know the name of an 80 year old gentleman who was on his fifth hike (going south) this year? He uses a simple homemade red pack cover with the AT patch and four rockers. I had a fun few minutes talking to him but I never asked his name.

A-Train
09-12-2003, 01:01
you talking about walking man? I met him in Gorham at hikers paradise. On his 4th hike, 2nd going south. He was atleast 75 maybe older, interesting old fella.
A-Train 03

Moon Monster
09-12-2003, 01:21
A-Train, no I met this fellow at Dick's Dome shelter in Northern VA. I think he was doing the second half of a hike this year. His partner told me he was 80.

Lugnut
09-12-2003, 01:42
It's Lone.

Why do I get the feeling that "Larry" is going to stick? :p

Lone Wolf
09-12-2003, 05:46
Lonely Larry Wolf

chris
09-12-2003, 08:36
Its all Blue Jay's fault.

tlbj6142
09-12-2003, 09:02
Lonely Larry WolfWhat no Gypsy any more?:confused:

warren doyle
09-12-2003, 11:01
First of all, I would like to congratulate Jack Tarlin on his soon to be completed eighth white blaze traverse of the Appalachian Trail. It is a great, and unusual, accomplishment (especially seven thru-hikes in seven years!). I also have to compliment him on his willingness to share his knowledge and love of the trail with folks who are planning their journeys. His re-supply publication is quite good and much needed.

Secondly, I answered the question that Former Admin made to start this thread. My answer was a fact, nothing to be afraid of.

Thirdly, I know from past experience that it is important to Mr. Tarlin that we all be GOOD American citizens. In keeping with that, I usually pick up litter/trash that has been left along the road in my neighborhood. I will continue to do that on the info superhighway as well.

rickb
09-12-2003, 17:29
I think of Baltimore Jack's accomplishments as cool, more than great. But I am just twisting words. And for him, the trips probably were great, anyway.

What the hell am I saying? Truth is I am just looking for an excuse to ask whether the rumers are true regarding Baltimore Jack hanging up his boots this year. Long-distance boots, that is. Our paths have never crossed and I was kind of expecting there would be plenty of opportunities in the coming years to spot BJ as I do my occasional 7 - 10 mile weekend trips in the Whites.

Well Jack?

Good to read your posts,

Rick Boudrie

Spirit Walker
09-12-2003, 17:36
He says that every year. But come spring, the Fever hits.

stranger
09-14-2003, 00:58
Getting back to the mileage thing I must say that someones AT miles definitely makes a difference in most peoples minds. Obviously someone who has knocked out 5-6 thru-hikes is going to become very persuasive to first time thru-hikers or novice hikers. I myself have about 3000 AT miles and do respect someone like Warren, Jack, Lone etc...mainly because I have never completed a thru.

However, AT miles are just that, miles. I repect those who have done multiple hikes (even Wingfoot) but feel I am a much better person to groom my hiking style. So when someone says this guy hiked 9 times in these shoes...just ignore it because you probably don't have the same taste in shoes, food, politics or life ya know?

SGT Rock
09-14-2003, 01:12
I totally agree with Stranger on that.

Nightwalker
04-22-2007, 20:53
Where do you get your info? How long have you been in the trail "community". I guess you never heard of Michael P. Jones, Leonard Atkins, Hikeaholic, Umbrella Lady. I can keep going. These folks have as many or more miles than the guys you mentioned. Why do you refer to Ward as Spooky Boy? He has a mental illness beyond his control. Have you ever met him?

Wolf: Thanks for taking up for us mentally ill folks like that. Yeah, I know that this is an old thread. I just did a WB search for "mentally ill" today, and this is one of the threads that came up.

I know that we make people uncomfortable, and that folks like me who get out of control and sometimes rage online sometimes really take people aback. The important thing for others to remember is that we didn't choose this. No one would. You've been a real friend, and anything you've ever said antagonistically towards me online is doubly offset by how kind you are in person. Sorry if I mess up your rep by telling everyone how nice you really are. :D

Lone Wolf
04-22-2007, 21:04
Wolf: Thanks for taking up for us mentally ill folks like that. Yeah, I know that this is an old thread. I just did a WB search for "mentally ill" today, and this is one of the threads that came up.

I know that we make people uncomfortable, and that folks like me who get out of control and sometimes rage online sometimes really take people aback. The important thing for others to remember is that we didn't choose this. No one would. You've been a real friend, and anything you've ever said antagonistically towards me online is doubly offset by how kind you are in person. Sorry if I mess up your rep by telling everyone how nice you really are. :D

no worries mate. i'm mentally irregular myself

Marta
04-22-2007, 21:14
... does anybody know the name of an 80 year old gentleman who was on his fifth hike (going south) this year? He uses a simple homemade red pack cover with the AT patch and four rockers. I had a fun few minutes talking to him but I never asked his name.

Did you meet EZ1?

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=199034

Marta/Five-Leaf

mweinstone
04-22-2007, 21:28
pirate has the most thrus.

warren doyle
04-22-2007, 21:35
No he doesn't.

Moon Monster
04-22-2007, 22:57
Did you meet EZ1?

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=199034

Marta/Five-Leaf

Yes, Indeed! Since this thread was new, Easy One was the subject of a 2005 thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8000
There was also mention of him in the ATN around that time:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATN05Jan.pdf

bfitz
04-23-2007, 00:02
I agree w/ Blue Jay 100%Me too. (er...on this particular issue, that is...)

bfitz
04-23-2007, 00:13
Actually, Lone Wolf, if I understand correctly Jack did not slackpack for his first few hikes, and railed against it in typical BLOjack fashion until he started doing it.... now it's a staple, especially in certain sections, because it allows for more socializing (my opinion) and the "people are the trail" right? Nothing wrong with an enormous WD style slackpack either. Who's done what is pretty interesting to me, just as a curiosity. Certainly my good or bad opinion of people has nothing to do with how many miles they hiked, or under what conditions, but it's still interesting to know...why, I can't precisely answer, but it is...As far as purists...well so long as they don't judge me I wont judge them.

Lion King
04-23-2007, 00:48
You guys so are funny.

Oh, and I saw Warren on the PCT (He was doing the JMT) this year with a Full pack...swear to god...I've seen B.Jack slack packing, swear to god...and I've seen them both with full packs on the At somewhere a few different times...so really...this whole thing is ri-god-dam-dic-u-lous.

Is it really a contest?
Is it really a question of how much and why it matters?

All that matters is that these people are lucky enough or smart enough to figure a way to stay out somewhere in the trail world as much as possible every year.

Thats all that should matter.

L.W. must be the smartest of them all as he has a house on the trail...well..off by about 30 yards...but still.

SGT Rock
04-23-2007, 07:57
L.W. must be the smartest of them all as he has a house on the trail...well..off by about 30 yards...but still.
Excellent point.

mweinstone
04-24-2007, 17:03
i diddnt say pirate has the most thrus. i said, pirate has bo. thats a far cry from most thrus. sheesh! some people cant smell. spell.

mweinstone
04-24-2007, 17:04
i agree with whitchever one of you guys knows the most . about whatever your talking about. and my default answer is,....whatever bfitz says.

Jester2000
04-24-2007, 18:29
What's the record for oldest thread resurrected?

fiddlehead
04-24-2007, 21:01
Well, i read thru most of this thread and was surprised that i didn't see any mention of "Tom Horn" aka "Desparado".
I first met him in 89 and he was spending time on the trail with Keith Shaw's son who was about 8 at the time. I met him about 5 more times in the next 12 years, most recently in Jan. and Feb. of 2002 in Tenn.
Spent considerable time with him that time and found out that he is a farmer and hikes about 500-1000 miles every year, usually in the winter or early spring. He hikes slow and is not into his accomplishments as way too many of us are here, aye?
He loves to be in the outdoors and loves the AT as much as anyone i've ever met. He is one hell of a storyteller too. I'm sure many of you have seen him out there. After a lot of questioning, he said he had more than 25,000 miles on the AT (that was 5 years ago)
don't know if he's still doing those spring trips but i don't see why not.

Also, Nean has a lot of miles on the big 3 trails. He's done the CDT 3 times (at least) the PCT twice (that i know of, maybe 3 which would make him a triple triple crowner) and i believe the AT 4 times but i think now he just hikes and is not into completing end to enders just to say he did it.
Same way with "Tom Horn" , they hike a LOT because they love to be out in nature, not because they want to say they have the most miles. or the most thru's

Programbo
04-24-2007, 21:56
I never claimed to have 'backpacked' the entire trail, only to walk it following the white blazes the ENTIRE way.

One thing I`ve learned upon my return to hiking the trail in the past year is that even "walking" the entire trail with a day pack or no pack is quite an accomplishment..I`m probably one of the most oldtimey,traditionalist AT people around as far as my views and attitude and I don`t think carrying a pack or cooking meals etc is really a requirement for a "thru hike"..While I personally feel sleeping in the shelters and cooking your meals is part of the charm of being there I wouldn`t care if someone ate all 3 meals everyday at fast food places and slept in a motel everynight (Heck read Ed Garveys Appalachian Hiker and it seems every 2 pages the guy was having dinner or sleeping in someones home.).....All you guys get a big load of respect from me.