PDA

View Full Version : From Baxter to civilization.

Earl Grey
02-06-2007, 12:27
How far is Baxter from a city? Reason I ask is because I'll probaly rent a car or take a bus back to Harpers Ferry to go south. What is the best way to get to a service like this?

DavidNH
02-06-2007, 12:38
How far is Baxter from a city? Reason I ask is because I'll probaly rent a car or take a bus back to Harpers Ferry to go south. What is the best way to get to a service like this?

Well From Baxter State park you will need to hitch a ride out (only one road so everyone goes same way) to Milliocket. Give that a half hour. Then you take a cab out to medway and then a Bus to Bangor. In Bangor you can fly home or rent a car. Probably a couple hours to get to Bangor.

I don't know if there are car rentals in Millinocket or not...it is a relatively small town.

realize that Baxter State Park is not real close to anything and that is one of its charms! In fact, almost nothing in Maine is real close to anything. The way life should be!

DavidNH

peakbagger
02-06-2007, 13:27
Millinocket and Medway are small towns but there are probably more services than expected, as there is a fairly high end resort and tourism trade that is building up in the area. New England Outdoor Center is the largest operation and I would expect that they have shuttle arrangements set up to get customers from the Bangor International Airport and their facility which is just outside of Millinocket. Might be worth giving them a call.

As far as I am aware, the closest rental car agencies are in Bangor. Be aware that the bus runs from the Bangor or Medway area are "milk runs" that stop at every little town along the way. What takes about 2 hours not stop from Bangor to Portland by private car turns into a 4 or 5 hour trip by bus. Once you are in Portland, Amtrak has train service to North Station in Boston. From North station its a short shuttle to South Station and you can take Amtrak down to Virginia.

TJ aka Teej
02-06-2007, 15:45
No car rentals in Millinocket or Medway, as Peakbagger says the closest is in Bangor at the airport. Note that for right now the Millinocket taxi has closed down, and I don't know if anyone will take up the business. Many hikers finishing at Katahdin hook up with rides from the people they meet on the trail or in the Park, and its an easy hitch out.

Fannypack
02-06-2007, 16:16
Since u are beginning at Harpers ferry in mid-May, there is a very good possibility that u could get a ride w/ a NOBO who is being picked up by family & friends. So u probably could easily get a ride to Bangor & probably Boston.
Once in Boston get a train ride to DC.
then catch the train in DC to HF (see Trains to Washington, D.C. in this page: http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-pa06.pdf ) - obviously u need to call or at least be flexible on the train schedule).

Suggestion: By the time u reach Gorham, Start mentioning that u will be going back to HF to complete your hike. By hten u shoudl be very good at YOGIING.

the_iceman
02-06-2007, 16:53
Once you are in south station (boston) you can take the Silver Line to Logan for about $2 and catch Jetblue to DC area for around $69.00

the_iceman
02-06-2007, 16:56
Jetblue goes from Logan to Dulles and is cheaper and faster than Amtrak. You can also take an MBTA train to Providence RI from South Station and a shuttle to T.F. Greene airport to hookup with Southwest if you prefer the "cattle car".

Fly By Mike
02-06-2007, 17:03
I havent seen any hiker have a hard time getting a ride out of BSP or out of Millinocket. Also one of the car companies in Millinocket does rent cars - at least to locals for local use. From BSP just hang out in the day use car park towards the end of the day and you'll yogi a ride with ease. You might even be lucky enough to get one with me. Also I make about 14 trips between Great Barrington MA and Millinocket ME in my airplane every year between March and November. I don't have a regular schedule and my trips are always weather dependant. Sometimes I have one or two seats available to hikers and have shuttled a few out of town over the past few years to airports that are basically on my way or just a little out of the way - Bangor, Augusta, Manchester, Hartford. You just have to be in the right place at the right time to score one. I can often be found after a day of hiking at the bar in the Scootic or in the mornings at the AT Cafe. You can also PM me when you get to Millinocket and I'll tell you if I'm in town and if I have a trip coming up.

Peaks
02-06-2007, 17:37
. Be aware that the bus runs from the Bangor or Medway area are "milk runs" that stop at every little town along the way. What takes about 2 hours not stop from Bangor to Portland by private car turns into a 4 or 5 hour trip by bus. Once you are in Portland, Amtrak has train service to North Station in Boston. From North station its a short shuttle to South Station and you can take Amtrak down to Virginia.

There were not many stops on the bus when I took it. There were just a couple of stops between Medway and Bangor. Great way to get back to civilization. Not a milk run at all.

swamp dawg
02-06-2007, 18:04
We caught a ride to Millinocket and stayed at the hostel for a day or so then a short taxi ride to Medway to catch a bus to Boston. The bus ride was a bit long but the bus was very nice so we had time to reflect on our incredible AT journey. Lots of flights out of Logan so getting back should be no problem.