PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Aircore

hawkeye
02-06-2007, 12:49
Does anyone use a Big Agnes Aircore insulated pad? I'm wondering if it is as warm as my Thermarest Prolite 4.

hopefulhiker
02-06-2007, 13:37
I used it on my thru.. the mummy version had some leak problems but they replaced it.. I thought it was warm..

paulbrown137
02-06-2007, 13:44
it will not be as warm as your PL4. butttttt... it will be way more comfortable. I use an insulated air core down to freezing, then I add a couple ounces of closed cell pad. With that combo, you get more comfort, comparable insulation, and a back up pad if you spring a leak for around the same weight.

In fact, i take the closed cell every trip anyway. I have had a few friends forget their sleeping pad and i ended up the hero...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2007, 21:41
I have both - the prolite 4 seems a little warmer, but the BA Aircore is way more comfortable.

hawkeye
02-07-2007, 13:25
I want to stay warm,I'm planning a trip in March on the CT/Ma part of the AT. I think I'll try the Big Agnes at home first.

MarcnNJ
02-07-2007, 13:29
I used one on my thruhike last year...

Positives: Comfort, Comfort, Comfort
Negatives: Can spring a leak (mine did and was replaced), Blowing it up and deflating it...

Id use it again...and plan to this year's end to end on The Long Trail

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-07-2007, 13:29
Hawkeye, I have to use the air core due to needing a lot of padding due to a lot of metal in my leg - I compensate by using extra insulating layers (clothing and quilt).