PDA

View Full Version : Read something cool in Mens Health Magazine...

L Tee
02-06-2007, 16:24
Walk away from your computer for a second and stand up strait. Close your eyes and raise one knee up to hip level. Count for 10 seconds. If you are unable to hold your balance for this length of time you are 2.5 times more likely to suffer an ankle sprain. which means time to do some ankle exercises. Just use the google seach and type in "ankle exercises" and lots of stuff will come up.

Figured this was more relevant to hikers than anything else!

Paul Bunyan
02-06-2007, 16:40
We should have a contest to see who can do that for the longest.

So for, i achieved 98 seconds on my left ankle.

77 seconds on my right ankle. Pitiful.:o

Frosty
02-06-2007, 17:25

77 seconds on my right ankle. Pitiful.:oAh, yes, I remember when I was 16.

Well, I'll be 60 in a couple months and I could not balance for more than 3 seconds on either ankle first try, but did get 10 seconds on my right ankle after a few minutes of practicing.

Just remember, even though you whippersnappers may have better muscles and balance because you are young, we oldsters have ... have ... dang, I forgot what I was going to say. I guess memory is the second thing to go. After balance.

Bravo
02-06-2007, 17:34

Did you fall or get tired? I did 100 each side and then quit. I kinda got tired and bored. Keep working so yo mama don't make you look bad out there.:D

L Tee
02-06-2007, 17:47
yeah after a while you just kinda get bored. its a fun exercise though, mainly for those people who are over the age of 25 lol. It is called Mens Health, not college kids health lol. I love being young :)

Captn
02-06-2007, 17:52
Ah, yes, I remember when I was 16.

Well, I'll be 60 in a couple months and I could not balance for more than 3 seconds on either ankle first try, but did get 10 seconds on my right ankle after a few minutes of practicing.

Just remember, even though you whippersnappers may have better muscles and balance because you are young, we oldsters have ... have ... dang, I forgot what I was going to say. I guess memory is the second thing to go. After balance.

At least you can remember what the first thing to go was .... for the life of me I can't remember!:-?

rafe
02-06-2007, 18:28
Interesting exercise. I did 100 seconds on each leg, no problem. A lifetime of skiing and hiking helps, but I've always had unusually good balance. (I'm 54.) This exercise reminds me of some of the warm-ups I used to do for martial arts (Karate and TaeKwonDo.)

Skidsteer
02-06-2007, 19:45
I started the test on my left leg. Made ninety seconds and spilled half a glass of red wine.

End of test.

Bravo
02-06-2007, 20:13
I started the test on my left leg. Made ninety seconds and spilled half a glass of red wine.

End of test.

Yeah I was wondering if there was a drinking handicap. When I got tired and bored at 100 seconds that was really like a few minutes. I figure you get at least 20-30 seconds per drink.

And with that logic I could stand on one foot for 2-3 minutes just by drinking a 6er.:D

Skidsteer
02-06-2007, 20:23
Yeah I was wondering if there was a drinking handicap. When I got tired and bored at 100 seconds that was really like a few minutes. I figure you get at least 20-30 seconds per drink.

And with that logic I could stand on one foot for 2-3 minutes just by drinking a 6er.:D

I like your math. I wonder if my boss could see the logic:

"Yes sir, I've been here three hours and steady drinkin' the whole time. Can I call it a day now?"

:D

rafe
02-06-2007, 20:32
"Yes sir, I've been here three hours and steady drinkin' the whole time. Can I call it a day now?"

Odd. My workday started with an internet video (a product intro guised as an SNL spoof) followed by company-supplied champagne. A non-alcoholic alternative was available, but folks seemed to prefer the real thing. (Granted, this is not a frequent occurence.) :-?

L Tee
02-06-2007, 21:44
I dont know if this changes anything but your supposed to do it with your shoes off.

max patch
02-06-2007, 21:47
Anybody care to explain this?

I did a minute on each leg before stopping, but it was kinda difficult. I really had to concentrate, and I did "hop" and "squirm" a few times to keep balanced.

Then I tried it with my eyes open. Totally different! Felt like I could do it forever with no effort at all.

Really surprising difference.

madstang
02-06-2007, 21:47
Cap'n -
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill....

madstang
02-06-2007, 21:49
The thing about having your eyes open - that's the same reason the police have you close your eyes for a sobriety test; to make you look even drunker.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2007, 21:53
::: off to find ankle exercises - kisses General Lee on th toes for the heads up :::

Skidsteer
02-06-2007, 21:57
I dont know if this changes anything but your supposed to do it with your shoes off.

My shoes were off. I have the wine stains to prove it.

L Tee
02-06-2007, 22:15
closing your eyes eliminates depth perception. harder to keep your balance.

Desert Lobster
02-06-2007, 23:41
It's called the klutzo test!!

rainmaker
02-06-2007, 23:52
yeah after a while you just kinda get bored. its a fun exercise though, mainly for those people who are over the age of 25 lol. It is called Mens Health, not college kids health lol. I love being young :)

You had better enjoy it, it won't last long. In just a few years those six pack abs will become a beer gut. Next, your lower back will start to hurt as you throw your shoulders back to counteract the spare tire middle. This will be close to the time that you notice that you haven't seen your genitals lately. Before you know it , your pectorals look an awful lot like a "B" cup. The forties are usually pretty good to you except for those flashes of light and floaters that let you know your inner eyeball is beginning to resemble day old jello. The fifties will teach you patience and humility as you stand in front of urinals for what will seem like hours waiting, waiting, and waiting . You will learn the name of a body part you did not know you had and question the irony of its continuiing growth. This is also about the time you will be introduced to a medical procedure similar to having a 10 foot Texas King snake crawl up ... well use your imagination. I would share some of my observations of the sixties, but its a work in progress. All and all though its been a blast and the future is going to be better, though slower.

Mags
02-07-2007, 00:01
yeah after a while you just kinda get bored. its a fun exercise though, mainly for those people who are over the age of 25 lol. It is called Mens Health, not college kids health lol. I love being young

Pllllthhh!

Endurance is at its prime, for men, in their early 30s. Marathoners, bicylists, triathletes, thru-hikers, etc.[1] :banana

Anyway..that's what I keep on telling myself as my hairline continues its upward march and my beard is starting to get its first touch of grey.... ;)

(Another sign of the times: I chatted up a woman at a party recently. We hit it off. She's cute. She then tells me she has two kids! :eek:)

[1] OK the thru-hike one was pulled out of thin air. ;) But, seriously the record holders for endurance type sports such as marathons and bicycling truly are in their early 30s.

mambo_tango
02-07-2007, 01:19
It is called Mens Health, not college kids health.

So you are saying that males that are college age aren't MEN?!? :eek: Oh wait.. I already knew that.

L Tee
02-07-2007, 01:54
lol burrrn. We are men! my use of the word Men in Mens health was the 30+ers. We college kids are men in the making but men nonetheless :)

LIhikers
02-07-2007, 08:18

Does this mean yo put your right foot down 13 seconds before you put down your left one? :-?

LIhikers
02-07-2007, 08:20
opps bad math, I mean did yo put your right foot down 21 seconds before the left?.... :)

Gray Blazer
02-07-2007, 08:23
Ah, yes, I remember when I was 16.

Eh......? What's that you say.....? Seriously you guys, that's why they invented the Hokey Pokey. You put your right foot in...you put your right foot out.....

weary
02-07-2007, 09:34
You had better enjoy it, it won't last long. In just a few years those six pack abs will become a beer gut. Next, your lower back will start to hurt as you throw your shoulders back to counteract the spare tire middle. This will be close to the time that you notice that you haven't seen your genitals lately. Before you know it , your pectorals look an awful lot like a "B" cup. The forties are usually pretty good to you except for those flashes of light and floaters that let you know your inner eyeball is beginning to resemble day old jello. The fifties will teach you patience and humility as you stand in front of urinals for what will seem like hours waiting, waiting, and waiting . You will learn the name of a body part you did not know you had and question the irony of its continuiing growth. This is also about the time you will be introduced to a medical procedure similar to having a 10 foot Texas King snake crawl up ... well use your imagination. ,,,,
Cheer up folks. Things go along like that for a while -- and then they get worse.

Weary

mambo_tango
02-07-2007, 12:46
lol burrrn. We are men! my use of the word Men in Mens health was the 30+ers. We college kids are men in the making but men nonetheless :)

Hmm was talking to my boyfriend last night (he's at college - 2 hours away)and he says 'Guess what I am wearing right now' and I reply with 'uh clothes?' and he says 'My Sponge Bob shirt! It's yellow! Isn't that exciting?'. Men in the making? Scary thought.:-?

L Tee
02-07-2007, 13:10
lol well your the one who chose the sponge bob lover :)

mambo_tango
02-07-2007, 13:15
lol well your the one who chose the sponge bob lover :)

Mmmhmm.. and I notice in your picture gallery that you and your friend are drinking and driving. That's always a smart thing to do. Again...men in the making? :sun

Frosty
02-07-2007, 13:15
Eh......? What's that you say.....? Seriously you guys, that's why they invented the Hokey Pokey. You put your right foot in...you put your right foot out.....Well, at least with the Chicken Dance you get to keep both feet on the floor...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-07-2007, 13:19
Amen to what Weary said.

Ewker
02-07-2007, 13:21
Mmmhmm.. and I notice in your picture gallery that you and your friend are drinking and driving. That's always a smart thing to do. Again...men in the making? :sun

nice come back mambo :clap :dance

L Tee
02-07-2007, 13:26
haha yeah going 3 to 4 mph in a parking lot of publix is craaaazy.

I still think obsessing over a mildly gay cartoon character takes the cake :)

Gray Blazer
02-07-2007, 13:50
Mmmhmm.. and I notice in your picture gallery that you and your friend are drinking and driving. That's always a smart thing to do. Again...men in the making? :sunG L, You are so busted.

mambo_tango
02-07-2007, 13:56
I wouldn't say he was obsessed. Silly perchance. If he was obsessed I wouldn't put up with it I don't think.
Don't people usually get in their cars to drive somewhere? :)

L Tee
02-07-2007, 14:01
lol not when your drinking! I dont drink and drive thats illegal and VERY difficult!

How did a thread I started about ankle stability end up with me getting attacked lol, I dont like how this place works.

Oh and Gray - I learned my drinking skills in the 2 or so years I was at the University of Florida :) Football school with a drinking problem!

Gray Blazer
02-07-2007, 14:03
lol not when your drinking! I dont drink and drive thats illegal and VERY difficult!

How did a thread I started about ankle stability end up with me getting attacked lol, I dont like how this place works.

Oh and Gray - I learned my drinking skills in the 2 or so years I was at the University of Florida :) Football school with a drinking problem!I better not see any Gainesville Green in your hands.:D

mambo_tango
02-07-2007, 14:04

Oh and Gray - I learned my drinking skills in the 2 or so years I was at the University of Florida :) Football school with a drinking problem!

Aww.. I wasn't attacking you... just poking fun. That's why I attach::sun :)

Creek Dancer
02-07-2007, 15:51
:-? The first thing to go is your whatchmacallit...the second thing is to go is your other whatchamacallit.

Cuffs
02-07-2007, 16:12
:-? The first thing to go is your whatchmacallit...the second thing is to go is your other whatchamacallit.

Oh, I thought the whoenwhat was the first... well, maybe it was the thingamajig...

Creek Dancer
02-07-2007, 16:44
You could be right AlHikerGal! I just can't remember. LOL

I enjoyed meeting you at the Soruck!

L Tee
02-07-2007, 17:25
mambo you gotta learn to respect your elders :) haha Ive totally got 2 years on you

Kerosene
02-07-2007, 19:36
I too have weak ankles, to the point that my Achilles tendons bear the brunt of my ankle turning. Here are my ankle-strengthening exercises adapted from the physical therapist in an attempt to reduce my chronic Achilles tendonitis (previously posted on other threads). Those of you concerned with ankle support in trail runners could do this regimen every other day for a month or so to see how it works for you.

1) Toe-ups on the stairs. Be careful not to go too far down until you're warmed up. I typically do 50-75.

2) Stretch your calves on the stairs by carefully lowering your heel below your toes, keeping your knees straight. Alternatively, you can stretch calves by leaning against a wall with your toes about 2 feet from the wall you would "push up" against. Hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds. (You can stretch your Achilles on the stairs by slightly bending your knees).

3) Walk on your heels, scrunching your toes, for about 3 minutes on a carpeted surface. You'll feel the fronts of your ankles get tired after awhile. I typically do these exercises in my living room, watching TV to ease the boredom.

4) Using 3 feet of green or blue Ther-a-band (available from physical therapist offices and fitness centers for about $1/foot, with blue offering more resistance than green) tied in a loop, wrap the loop around the toes of one of your feet. Do 15-50 reps of the following four strengthening techniques. Push your toes away for one set, then put the loop under a chair or other heavy object and position yourself to "pull" the band toward your chest for a set, then left then right for two sets. Repeat with your other foot. Concentrate on your ankle and keep your knee straight and out of the exercise, especially on the sideways pulls. You can also replicate this exercise using a "wobble board" (a round board with half a round sphere on the bottom that wobbles) or a Bosu Ball, but they cost a lot more.

5) Here's the fun part. Now that your ankles are tired, stand up next to the chair on one leg, placing the other leg in front of you in the air. On a rug or other uneven surface (a pillow or mini-tramp), try to stand on one leg for 15-30 seconds. If this is easy, then close your eyes in a darkened room (you'll be amazed at how hard this is). After 15-30 seconds, move the leg in the air to your side for another count, then to the back, and then move it all over (left-to-right, front-to-back, whatever). Repeat with the other leg. [It's a lot harder to do this after completing steps 1-4 above.]

strnorm
02-07-2007, 20:14
I made it for 8 seconds,then fell and broke my wrist.:eek: kidding

mambo_tango
02-08-2007, 01:42
mambo you gotta learn to respect your elders :) haha Ive totally got 2 years on you

I consider my elders to be at least 25 years older than me. Anyone younger than that has to earn my respect. Besides - boys mature slower than us girls which makes you about the same age as me. :-? Hmm maybe younger..

Moxie00
02-08-2007, 11:00
[QUOTE=Kerosene;318269]I too have weak ankles, to the point that my Achilles tendons bear the brunt of my ankle turning. Here are my ankle-strengthening exercises adapted from the physical therapist in an attempt to reduce my chronic Achilles tendonitis (previously posted on other threads).
Want to share my Achilles tendon story with you. I worked 17 years as a whitewater rafting guide. It was a part time job, mostly weekends and I held a regular job. Once in a class 5 rapid I stretched my achilles tendon so bad I couldn't walk for several days. The problem got worse, I saw Doctors and they sent me to sports medecine Doctors. I had painful shots and was on a heavy dose of medication. The problem never got better and soon my other achilles tendon started hurting either in sympathy or because I was putting extra strain on it. My regular Doctor sent me to a physical therapist and they even tried electric treatment. When the pain was bad I walked with a cane. My Doctor told me NOT to even think of hiking and cross country skiing was out of the question. For exercise I was told to mountain bike BUT never use toe clips. This situation went on for several pain filled years. One summer my family went on a hiking trip to Gulf hagas on the AT in Maine.I brought my mountain bike and figured I would ride around on the logging roads while they hiked. At the paper company gate to Gulf Hagas I was told mountain bikes were forbidden on the logging roads and I had to leave my bike at the gate. The next day as my family left for their hike I made the "stupid" move of trying to hike with them. I told my son I would only walk as long as I could and when the pain got too bad I would stop, rest, take a few of my pain pills and walk back to our campsite. After about a mile I noticed the pain had gone away. The longer I hiked the better I felt. I finished the entire 10 mile hike and slept pain free that night. I went back to see the Doctor that had treated me all those years. She said, "gee perhaps I was wrong, maby the stretching associated with hiking was exactly what you needed". The next summer I climbed every 4000 footer in Maine at age 60 and the year after that I thru hiked the AT. I now hike or snowshoe every weekend and at age 64 passed the tests to become an Alpine Patroller on the National Ski Patrol. At least in my case the best cure for severe ankle problems was hiking. The Doctors, sports medecine Doctors and physical therapists recomeded against it but it cured me. I have had no ankle probles or pain from tendonites since that day at Gulf Hagas almost 10 years ago.