PDA

View Full Version : Buying clothes online, help.

OntheRoad
02-06-2007, 16:57
Now that I have finally figured out what I need to buy, I am facing another problem. I will be buying my clothes online and there is really no way to assure that the item will fit me. I don't know if you guys will be able to help or not, but I will give you my height and weight and then list the items I am going to buy, maybe some of them need to be bigger for layering purposes.

I am about 5'9" and weigh between 130-135, I am pretty slim.

I am looking at buying:

Smartwool baselayer(or a cheap polyester one, haven't decided if the smartwool is worth the extra $20 or so.)
Golite Ether wind shirt
Montbell Thermawrap jacket
Frogg togg rain suit

I was thinking about going with a small Baselayer and medium in everything else. I am also looking to buy from both Backcountrygear.com and Sierratradingpost.com, do they have good return policies if the clothes I buy don't fit?

buckowens
02-06-2007, 17:13
I am not sure what to advise on the fitting specifically, but I have found that for me (5'9" and about 200lbs, the Mountain Harware stuff runs a bit on the small side. Also, I just returned a pair of M.H. shorts to Sierra Trading C. and was charged almost $5.00 return fee.

hopefulhiker
02-06-2007, 18:51
Check out Ebay and the gear forum here too..

Biloxi
02-06-2007, 19:38
also the montbell therma wraps run small..make sure if you are buying from their site , not to buy the japenese sizes

dloome
02-06-2007, 20:27
You're pretty much my exact dimensions, and I buy pretty much everything size M except for base layer tops which I get in a small for a closer fit. Btw, Frogg Toggs fit LARGE. Very large! Get size S.

aroth87
02-06-2007, 20:39
You could always go to a store and try on the clothes you want to buy (if they are in stock somewhere near you) and then order online. That's about the best way you can insure that something will fit, especially since sizing varies with each manufacturer. I wear a size large in most clothes, but I could probably get buy with a size medium with TNF.

Adam

hammock engineer
02-07-2007, 00:18
I have a few different smartwool long and short sleve, along with light and mid weight bottoms. Too me they run the same as normal shirts. I wear an XL cotton T, the XL ones fit fine.

I wear a XXL in all my coats. Something to consider on your raincoat is that you can use it as a shell jacket with all your other layers underneath for warmth.

Whistler
02-07-2007, 01:51
Looks like good advice. Medium is safe for everything. You might want to downsize the Smartwool if you're going to want a snug baselayer fit instead of a more casual fit, and you might want to downsize the Frogg Toggs to keep them from being too baggy...
-Mark

rswanson
02-07-2007, 17:28
Definitely go small on the Frogg Toggs. You'll still have plenty of room for the Thermawrap, which is pretty low-bulk.

Alligator
02-07-2007, 17:35
Yet another note that the Frogg Toggs run large and they were recently on sale at Sierratradingpost, blue only.

1azarus
02-07-2007, 17:38
And the blue is really pretty.

Alligator
02-07-2007, 17:41
And the blue is really pretty.LOL, it's why I didn't buy a backup set.

TN_Hiker
02-07-2007, 17:51
Yet another note that the Frogg Toggs run large and they were recently on sale at Sierratradingpost, blue only.

I second that.....I didn't know how large they ran. I ordered an XXL to allow plenty of room for the jacket. My lord the pants are HUGE.....I can fit both legs in one pant leg and the waist comes up to my chest. I wished you can "mix and match".

NICKTHEGREEK
02-07-2007, 17:58
Now that I have finally figured out what I need to buy, I am facing another problem. I will be buying my clothes online and there is really no way to assure that the item will fit me. I don't know if you guys will be able to help or not, but I will give you my height and weight and then list the items I am going to buy, maybe some of them need to be bigger for layering purposes.

I am about 5'9" and weigh between 130-135, I am pretty slim.

I am looking at buying:

Smartwool baselayer(or a cheap polyester one, haven't decided if the smartwool is worth the extra $20 or so.)
Golite Ether wind shirt
Montbell Thermawrap jacket
Frogg togg rain suit

I was thinking about going with a small Baselayer and medium in everything else. I am also looking to buy from both Backcountrygear.com and Sierratradingpost.com, do they have good return policies if the clothes I buy don't fit?
I've bought from both, and Backcountry gear is fine, but Sierra Trading post rarely had anything in "normal" sizes that interested me. Plenty of size 16 boots and 48 w x 29 L pants. Twice phone orders from STP were shipped in sizes way different from what I ordered and had to be returned with some hassle naturally. Great place to buy komperdell poles however. REI is the most hassle free on line shop I've found and the return policy is amazing.