PDA

View Full Version : down bag question/ comparisons

Biloxi
02-06-2007, 18:33
hey everyone I have a question..can ya'll tell me which of these bags would be a good choice...I am torn between the marmot helium EQ..and a western mountainering versalite...the EQ weights 2lbs. with 6 inch loft and 22oz fill and is a 15' bag and cost around 429.00 and the WM weights 2lbs.6inch loft with 20oz fill at 400.00 but I can get a 3 oz overfill for 27$..so it would be 23oz fill for 427.00 and it is rated as a 10' bag?? thanks for any feed back if you have info on these bags..as to pro/ cons between these 2

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 18:38
marmot stupid. my helium eq eats your other inferior inbred swine bags. dont triffle me again with this matter. everyone with a brain knows design counts for way more than shear brutal ounzes of bird.

hopefulhiker
02-06-2007, 18:39
I have heard really good things about WM.. A lot of people had those bags.. I used the Ponderosa for part of my thru....

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 18:43
by stupid i mean me .

for entertaining the notion marmot bags arent the bomb.

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 18:49
your a tough sell . i like that. lets go thru it then shall we? sit down this may get graffic. A. marmot spends more on there bags. they have better down. there thread is special. check into this. there girth at sholders is 2 inches more than others. there hoods and draft tubes work seamlessly. there eq coating resists more and is heaveyer by mil thickness. their foot box has revolutionized and solved foot box constrution problems and give streangth and space like never imagined in your wildest sex/sleepingbag fantasys. i could go on and on with how the company is better, older, bigger, and how they underrate temp rateings etc.......you do this thing for me and well be lifelong friends.

mweinstone
02-06-2007, 18:50
hope, never cross the family........

rswanson
02-06-2007, 18:55
The Marmot EQ has a very water resistant shell that you don't need. Its designed for bivy situations in cold/damp environments like ice caves and would actually be a detriment along the A/T. You can get the regular Marmot Helium for abotu a $100 less and has all the same feature as the EQ but a different shell fabric.

That said, I'd get the Western Mountaineering bag. Aside from a really nice hood design on the Helium, the WM bag does everything the Marmot bag does a bit better and a bit warmer, and its made in the States.

rswanson
02-06-2007, 18:58
your a tough sell . i like that. lets go thru it then shall we? sit down this may get graffic. A. marmot spends more on there bags. they have better down. there thread is special. check into this. there girth at sholders is 2 inches more than others. there hoods and draft tubes work seamlessly. there eq coating resists more and is heaveyer by mil thickness. their foot box has revolutionized and solved foot box constrution problems and give streangth and space like never imagined in your wildest sex/sleepingbag fantasys. i could go on and on with how the company is better, older, bigger, and how they underrate temp rateings etc.......you do this thing for me and well be lifelong friends.]
How can I compete with the Great Matthewski??? You win!:D

Footslogger
02-06-2007, 18:58
[quote=rswanson;317591]The Marmot EQ has a very water resistant shell that you don't need.

===================================

That was going to be my comment. Why do you need the EQ. The Helium is 1lb 13oz. Spray a little DWR on it if you're concerned about moisture. Save $100

I'm sure that the EQ is a great bag but I can tell you from experience that the bags with the repellant fabric shells are harder to compress (they don't breathe as well).

'Slogger

Biloxi
02-06-2007, 19:06
the reason I was interested in the eq..was because of the more water resistant shell..just incase I guess...does the regular helium also have the full zip??...mathewski you are an original;) ..even though I know you are always gonna say some crazy off the wall s*it..I also know that you like top quality products..as I do...I really like both the bags..its a tuff call

Jaybird
02-06-2007, 19:19
hey everyone I have a question..can ya'll tell me which of these bags would be a good choice...I am torn between the marmot helium EQ..and a western mountainering versalite...the EQ weights 2lbs. with 6 inch loft and 22oz fill and is a 15' bag and cost around 429.00 and the WM weights 2lbs.6inch loft with 20oz fill at 400.00 but I can get a 3 oz overfill for 27$..so it would be 23oz fill for 427.00 and it is rated as a 10' bag?? thanks for any feed back if you have info on these bags..as to pro/ cons between these 2

if MONEY is NO OBJECT.....go WM!
otherwise....:D

Footslogger
02-06-2007, 19:23
the reason I was interested in the eq..was because of the more water resistant shell..just incase I guess...does the regular helium also have the full zip??...mathewski you are an original;) ..even though I know you are always gonna say some crazy off the wall s*it..I also know that you like top quality products..as I do...I really like both the bags..its a tuff call

==========================

NO ...it's a half zip. Part of where they cut weight. Do you REALLY need a full zip ??

'Slogger

Biloxi
02-06-2007, 19:32
well I would like to have a full zip to be able to fully open the bag to use as a quilt or vent on warm nights

Trout
02-06-2007, 20:58
Hey! I vote for the WM bag. I have the Versalite, Mitylite, Aspen (Alder), & the Hooded Aspen (Syamore). I hope to get the Biistlecone at some point. They are very nicely made bags. But I think either one would be a nice bag too use.

Biloxi
02-06-2007, 21:13
yes the only difference I really see between the two is the HQ has 900 fill and the WM has 850 fill ...and I am not sure but earlier someone posted that the HQ shell wouldnt be good for AT use?? why is that???

partinj
02-06-2007, 21:23
Campmor has 15 Deg. and a 0 Deg. Price a lot cheaper at 109.00 and 139.00 Their wes site is www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) the sleeping bags are their own brand. The 20 Deg. is only 2lbs 4oz The 0 deg. is only3lbs 5oz lot of luck :-?

Mocs123
02-06-2007, 21:28
Both are good bags, but the WM is probably a bit better. The WM is also made in the USA instead of China.

Egads
02-06-2007, 21:53
I have a WM Alpinlite 20*. No regrets.

simon
02-06-2007, 22:19
Is it me or is 400.00 dollars a lot of money for a bag?

Happy
02-06-2007, 22:32
Is it me or is 400.00 dollars a lot of money for a bag?

It is a lot of money, but this is by FAR your most important piece of gear and a WM down bag could last a lifetime...skimp anywhere else!!!

Lyle
02-06-2007, 23:39
yes the only difference I really see between the two is the HQ has 900 fill and the WM has 850 fill ...and I am not sure but earlier someone posted that the HQ shell wouldnt be good for AT use?? why is that???

Not sure which of the podcasts did an interview with WM owner. He gave a very in depth explanation of the difference between 850 and 900 fill Down. Basicly it came down to (sorry, no pun intended) a difference of how the down is tested. WM feels that the 850 rating gives more of a real-life rating than the one used to get a 900.

Bottom line, once you have high-quality down, its all in how it's tested.

Ewker
02-07-2007, 00:07
I have the Marmot Helium. Ihave heard that the new Helium bags only have 850 fill vs the ones from the past yrs that had 900. My bag weighs 22 oz

Biloxi
02-07-2007, 05:51
yes it is true that 400.00 is alot to pay..but not for such an important piece of equipment...as some one else already stated..I will not skimp on my bag, my shelter or my pack..all 3 are investment worthy...I think I will go with the WM versalite with the 3oz overfill...I like the american small company:banana ..thanks all

Egads
02-07-2007, 07:56
Donjuan70,

You really do not need the WM Versalite 10* bag with 3 oz overfill for the AT. It is extra $ & weight you do not need unless you are planning on winter hiking with the bag. You do not state the intended use in your original post.

Egads

Biloxi
02-07-2007, 08:13
Egads..you are correct..I forgot to mention my need of the bags purpose..well it will definatly involve some winter use on the AT..actualy a full year use..so I need the warmth of the overfill plus the full zip option to open for venting in warm temps