PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mtn Camping Reservations Now On Line

ImkerVS
02-06-2007, 22:18
From AP report:

GATLINBURG, Tenn. - Camping reservations for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and many other federally managed recreation areas are going online.
The new national recreation reservation system, which was scheduled to start Feb. 7, offers visitors a chance to book not just dates but specific campsites up to six months in advance.
Reservations can be made round the clock at http://www.Recreation.Gov (http://www.recreation.gov/) and from 10 a.m.-midnight Eastern by phone toll-free at 877-444-6777.
The Web site also will offer maps and photos of the campgrounds, information on the amenities in the campgrounds and tips on nearby attractions.
"The feature most campers will probably like best is that they will be able to select a specific campsite rather than just choosing a date and having a site assigned to them upon arrival," said Smokies Assistant Superintendent Kevin FitzGerald.
DisplayAds ('Middle');
"Up to 80 percent of our visitors have been here before and often have a favorite site or campground loop that is 'home' to them," he said.
"The change will also allow those who like to camp with other friends or extended family groups to book sites right next to each other if they plan ahead and book early."
Cades Cove, Elkmont and Smokemont campgrounds offer individual sites under a reservation system from May 15-Oct. 31 each year. The park also has group campsites and picnic pavilions at seven locations.

Skidsteer
02-06-2007, 23:04
Nice find, ImkerVS.

Chaco Taco
02-07-2007, 00:38
Thanks for posting this.:D I am supposed to make my reservations tommorow. Perfect timing.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2007, 06:04
This isn't for backcountry reservations. Just car camping.

Ramble~On
02-07-2007, 06:29
This isn't for backcountry reservations. Just car camping.

......and I was about to get excited. In time this could evolve to include making backcountry reservations...which could be interesting...

Either way it'll make my life easier.

Chaco Taco
02-07-2007, 10:55
Oh well, I do like the idea of doing backcountry online possibly in the future