PDA

View Full Version : This thing fit before...

2009ThruHiker
02-06-2007, 22:24
The sleeping bag no longer seems to fit in the original stuff sack! Is there a trick to folding/compressing the bag, or should I size up and purchase a new stuff sack?
FYI I have a Montbell Superstretch Downhugger bag.
I guess another question I'd be interested in finding an answer to is the tight fit of my tent in it's stuff sack. Should I size up or does it matter if it's crammed tight into the stuff sack? Should it then be stored uncompressed when I'm not hiking like I do my sleeping bags?

tHANKS a bunch:banana:banana:banana

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2007, 22:26
which end of the sleepingbag did you start stuffing in first???

2009ThruHiker
02-06-2007, 22:29
which end of the sleepingbag did you start stuffing in first???
I don't. I usually start from the bottom, fold it over lengthwise, and then start rolling from bottom to top, allowing air to seep out from the zippered side, finishing at the hood. It fit's sometimes, sometimes I start over...sometimes I curse.

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2007, 22:33
don't roll it just stuff it in,,,starting with the bottom

rafe
02-06-2007, 22:35
I don't. I usually start from the bottom, fold it over lengthwise, and then start rolling from bottom to top, allowing air to seep out from the zippered side, finishing at the hood. It fit's sometimes, sometimes I start over...sometimes I curse.

Don't fold. Just stuff. The foot (narrow end) goes in the sack first.

bigcranky
02-06-2007, 23:10
I don't know about Montbell, but some sleeping bag makers include the smallest possible stuff sack when you buy the bag. Maybe it makes the bag look lighter, I don't know. But hey, if you can't get it in the stuff sack at home, where you are warm and dry and the wind isn't howling, do you really think you'll be able to do it in the field?

Not only will a slightly larger stuff sack be easier to use, but it won't be hard as a rock when loaded with your bag -- thereby conforming better to the inside of your pack. There are plenty of good choices out there, or if you have a sewing machine, you could make your own.

Don't go overboard and buy a 50-liter stuff sack for your sleeping bag, though.

If you need a small packed size to fit in your pack, you can buy a lightweight compression sack. I have a Granite Gear sack that's made of sil nylon, and weighs about 2 oz in the right size for my 5-F bag. Just don't leave it stuffed.

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2007, 23:23
even lt weight compression sacks add weight...in ur case 2 oz....

but ozs makes lbs..

practice stuffing the bag....you'll be able to do it anywhere

TurkeyBacon
02-07-2007, 10:52
I'll aggree with big cranky. My marmot came in a stuff sack that it got stuffed into once, then I bought a bigger stuff sck. Don't dammage the sl bag with the manufactures ego inspiring stuff sacks.
TB

Footslogger
02-07-2007, 11:08
Everything seems to shrink (except YOU) after a thru ...

'Slogger

stag3
02-07-2007, 13:30
I have a Montbell and gave up on the stuff sack. It will still fit, but the time and effort seem disproportionate to the benefit. Now I have a large ziplock that easily holds the bag. Once the bag is in the ziplock, I close the ziplock about 90% and then sit on the bag. Great compression. Sometimes I fold the bag to get the max compression. Plus benefit--it will stay dry.

I also use the "fold and sit" technique on my Thermarest inflatable pad and pillow.

Stag3

chicote
02-07-2007, 15:09
My Montbell has an extention on the sack does yours? I can fit it without using the extension. I just have to make sure to stuff the foot end first and really cram it in there. Then the rest fits fine. It does take some work though. My wifes bag is much easier since it's not the long version.

Frosty
02-07-2007, 15:54
Everything seems to shrink (except YOU) after a thru ...

'SloggerMy hip belt shrunk about four-five inches over the winter. I never knew nylon webbing would do that!

bigcranky
02-07-2007, 21:21
even lt weight compression sacks add weight...in ur case 2 oz....

but ozs makes lbs..

practice stuffing the bag....you'll be able to do it anywhere

Steve,

Yes, but the stuff sack that came with my WM Antelope weighed even more -- it was made of regular coated nylon, not silnylon. So the compression sack saves me some weight and makes the bag fit in my pack.

I have plenty of practice stuffing bags, thanks.

stag3
02-08-2007, 02:19
My Montbell has an extention on the sack does yours? I can fit it without using the extension. I just have to make sure to stuff the foot end first and really cram it in there. Then the rest fits fine. It does take some work though. My wifes bag is much easier since it's not the long version.

Yes, mine has the extension. I've never come even close to stuffing it into the unextended part. Before the ziplock, I just switched to a larger stuff sack. IMO, waaaaay too much work to use the Montbell stuff sack.

Stag3

Happy
02-08-2007, 02:30
Steve,

Yes, but the stuff sack that came with my WM Antelope weighed even more -- it was made of regular coated nylon, not silnylon. So the compression sack saves me some weight and makes the bag fit in my pack.

If not for space in my pack, I would never use a stuff sack for my sleeping bag...just purchase a sil-nylon stuff sack the bag fits in easily, but provides some compression and fit it in the bottom of the pack inside of a trash compactor bag liner for your pack.

hammock engineer
02-08-2007, 03:05
I have the Mont Bell Super Stretch #2. I think I once or twice got it back in the stuff sack. Now I use a compression sack. I am about ready to change over to a sil bag.

smokymtnsteve
02-08-2007, 20:11
Steve,

doesn't save weight over a sil nylon stuff sack w-o compression straps.

so just stuff it:D

MoBeach42
02-08-2007, 20:19
I'd suggest just getting a plastic garbage bag, stuffing your sleeping bag in it, pushing out all the air (fold yourself over it or something) and then just twist the open end around so that the air doesn't seep in to quickly and expand it. Put directly into backpack. I like this method, seems to work, and also is an extra layer of wetness protection - why put a trashbag in your stuffsack when you can just use the trashbag?