PDA

View Full Version : Gearskin Owners, What Waterproofing Do You Use?

hammock engineer
02-07-2007, 00:23
I have a gearskin coming soon for my thru starting next month. I am not sure the best waterproofing to use, pack liner or pack cover?

I want more than one layer of waterproofing. Everything is already in waterproof stuff sacks. I am thinkins a pack liner will work.

Any thoughts?

Johnny Swank
02-07-2007, 08:08
I'm changing up what I'm using, I think. Right now I have one big silnylon bag for sleeping bag, clothes, gear, etc, and another silnylon bag for food. The larger bag is lined with a compactor trashbag, while food is packed in 1 gallon ziplocks or roasting bags before getting put into the silnylon bag. Tarps and wet stuff stay tucked under the gearskin.

I'm at least going to start using a Pacific Outdoor Equiptment Pneumo drybag for the food, and will likely buy a larger bag for the main sack as well. I'll probably add about 8 ounces using this setup, but those bags are absolutely bomber, waterproof, and easier to deal with because you just throw stuff in instead of packing twice.

I've got a review of these bags on my gear review page ( http://sourcetosea.net/gear/reviews.html ) if you want to check them out. The pneumo bag is the orange one in the middle.

highway
02-07-2007, 08:12
use neither. Buy some silnylon bags from Campmor or wherever:

Sack, stuff, silicon nylon, Campmor, 10X21 (sleeping bag) 0.07 (Lb.)
Sack, stuff, silicon nylon, Campmor, 8x18 (clothes/food bag) 0.06
Sack, stuff, silicon nylon, Campmor, 7X15 (possible bag) 0.04

Double bag your sleeping bag in 2 of the 10X21, which stores it loosely compressed-not compressed. This is stored verticly along one side of your Gearskin.

Buy another 10X21 for your clothes. This is stored in a verticle position along the other outer side.

Choose one for your food/kitchen bag but it goes in the center, so as to keep the weight centered to your body. Possibles bag on top of your food bag.

Get the seam seal and do it to all seams. Once done it is so watertight you can carry water in the bags and they want leak. Neither will rain soak your stuff. Buy the food bag with the little web strap on bottom so you can hang your food on those cursed bear cables, if you really think you should, upside down, so rain does not enter the drawstring opening.

rain gear, whatever stuffed anywhere just inside one of the straps, then pulled taunt.

jlb2012
02-07-2007, 10:10
I used a pack liner approach (2 trash bags) for a while but these days I am using a Packa

Nameless
02-07-2007, 18:47
Durring my first thru attempt (Katahdin to Stratton) I did the silnylon stuff sack route with an extra cheap, thin garbage bag in the sleeping bag and clothing sacks. Kept me dry through pouring rain in Maine without a problem. Just be sure to seam seal the stuff sacks.

For my upcomming thru (starting March 1st at Springer) I am going to have a packa. I got tired of my pack and stuff sacks all being soaked, even if the things inside were dry.

I think it would be a lot more bother than it is worth to try to do a pack liner with a gearskin. But, I've also never tried it.

Pink

hammock engineer
02-07-2007, 20:14
Thanks for the ideas.

I forgot to add I already use the seatosummit ultra sil bags for my food and clothes. I also have the seatosummit waterproof compression bag for my sleeping bag.

I just want a second line of defense. I think I will have a sil bag linear and see what happens. I may have this and only use it on the wet days or might be wet days.

As it stands I could go for a swim and my food, clothes, and bag will come out dry. I am just very weird about getting things wet.

Nameless
02-07-2007, 22:19
I would recomend not using the compression sack with the sleeping bag. I found that it helps to have simular sized stuff sacks, and without the volume constrictions of regurlar closed backpacks you might as well take it easy on you insulation. Give it a little room to breath, it will last a lot longer (both down and synthetic).

I use four medium (I dont know the actual size) size stuff sacks that are about the same width as the gearskin. I put my sleeping bag in the lowest one, it is still packed in its orrginal WM bag, but because I have a short sleeping bag the stuff sack has a little extra room. I then put the food bag, by far my heaviest bag usually, on top of that, then layer on the stuff bag and the clothing bag. I doesn't matter if your stuff sacks aren't full, when you compress the gearskin that won't change anything.

It just seems as if you would end up with a hard, short lump in your gearskin that wouldn't be as comfortable to carry and would eventually add damage to a likely very expensive peice of gear. And I don't know about what type of bulk you carry, but I find that I need the extra bulk of the sleeping bag. I carry my thermarest nearly full of air to add bulk to the gearskin, I have found that it is more comfortable when packed taller (heavy stuff in the middle, not the bottom) and fuller. My pack may look bigger, but I am still only carrying about 10 lbs of gear plus my food and water.

Just my two pennies
Pink

hammock engineer
02-08-2007, 00:36
I would recomend not using the compression sack with the sleeping bag. I found that it helps to have simular sized stuff sacks, and without the volume constrictions of regurlar closed backpacks you might as well take it easy on you insulation. Give it a little room to breath, it will last a lot longer (both down and synthetic).

I use four medium (I dont know the actual size) size stuff sacks that are about the same width as the gearskin. I put my sleeping bag in the lowest one, it is still packed in its orrginal WM bag, but because I have a short sleeping bag the stuff sack has a little extra room. I then put the food bag, by far my heaviest bag usually, on top of that, then layer on the stuff bag and the clothing bag. I doesn't matter if your stuff sacks aren't full, when you compress the gearskin that won't change anything.

It just seems as if you would end up with a hard, short lump in your gearskin that wouldn't be as comfortable to carry and would eventually add damage to a likely very expensive peice of gear. And I don't know about what type of bulk you carry, but I find that I need the extra bulk of the sleeping bag. I carry my thermarest nearly full of air to add bulk to the gearskin, I have found that it is more comfortable when packed taller (heavy stuff in the middle, not the bottom) and fuller. My pack may look bigger, but I am still only carrying about 10 lbs of gear plus my food and water.

Just my two pennies
Pink

Thanks.

I still have yet to get the pack. I am still a week or so off. I just want a couple ideas or plans for when I get it. I can leave the compression sack not as full. With that I might swap it out for a regular sack and sack a few oz.

Bulk/weight wise I am sitting at 3500-ish ci and 22ish lbs. I could go lighter and smaller, but I'm happy here for fall/winter/spring hiking. But then again if I had all my gear completly figured out, I would have nothing to change.

I am probibly going to call on everyone some more with packing.

Heater
02-08-2007, 10:08
Thanks.

I still have yet to get the pack. I am still a week or so off. I just want a couple ideas or plans for when I get it. I can leave the compression sack not as full. With that I might swap it out for a regular sack and sack a few oz.

Bulk/weight wise I am sitting at 3500-ish ci and 22ish lbs. I could go lighter and smaller, but I'm happy here for fall/winter/spring hiking. But then again if I had all my gear completly figured out, I would have nothing to change.

I am probibly going to call on everyone some more with packing.

Have you seen this?

http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html#Packing%20the%20Gearskin

brian
02-08-2007, 12:32
Here also is my old site on how I pack my gearskin...I now use silnylon bags instead of dry bags and my CCF pad instead of a kneeling pad, but the general principal is the same. Silnylon bags with a pack cover, combined with an umbrella under all but the most windy conditions.

Brian

brian
02-08-2007, 12:33
Oops, heres the link:

http://geocities.com/gearskinpics/

And no laughing at the pictures; they're 3.5 years old

hammock engineer
02-08-2007, 13:12
Thanks for the help Brian, but the link is dead.

Heater
02-08-2007, 13:14
Thanks for the help Brian, but the link is dead.

Too many hits disabled it for a while. try back later.

hammock engineer
02-08-2007, 13:16
Have you seen this?

http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html#Packing%20the%20Gearskin

Yes I have. A couple times actually. Thanks though. I am going to read it to look at what Rock does.