PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Johny's

dionalaniz
07-21-2003, 01:13
I don't want to go all the way into the town of Erwin. Wingfoot mentions "Uncle Johny's" Nolichucky Hostel just 75 yards off the AT.

Anybody stay here? Anybody use it for a maildrop? Was it reliable? Open all week?

Thanks.

Dirtyoldman
07-21-2003, 04:40
STOP!, please dont open up That can of worms again. :D

Peaks
07-21-2003, 08:44
Before going to UJ, read previous threads on problems with this place. There is a good reason why it is omitted from the current ATC/ALDHA Companion.

dionalaniz
07-21-2003, 13:55
Sorry - didn't know I was opening up a can of worms. Just trying to plan out all my maildrops and this looked like a good stop before Damascus being right on the trail and all.

I'll do a search and see what the fuss was all about. Wow, this forum is really useful. :-)

dionalaniz
07-21-2003, 14:17
Well, i was able to find several thread that referred to the original, mother of all threads, concerning Uncle Johny's place. However, i couldn't seem to find this original thread that apparently contains all the controversial testamonials.

Could someone provide a link? This place just looks so convenient and I want to avoid hiking into a town whenever possible.

No need to get the whole controversy rolling again in this thread (i could tell it was heated!). Just a link please. Thanks gang.

meBrad
07-21-2003, 14:34
I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted

dionalaniz
07-21-2003, 15:07
Cool. Good advice Brad. Yeah - i've called the places on my AT planning where i've expected a maildrop and bunk/hostel stay. I wanted to wait until I could find the thread in question before calling Johny's just so had a bit of background info on the controversy.

celt
07-21-2003, 15:57
Dionalaniz

Here is a link to an Uncle J's thread with lots of, umm, information. Bluebearee's story is poignant.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338

dionalaniz
07-21-2003, 16:40
thanks a lot. appreciate it. Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. Just trying to make some rational decisions about maildrops. I really appreciate this forum and the ability to find information not in the guidebooks.

steve hiker
07-21-2003, 17:28
Dionalaniz, are you really unaware of what's been going on? See the "support miss janet" thread, just a few spaces down in this forum (Trail Towns).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2043

In short, John Shores (please don't call him "Uncle") is trying to drive Miss Janet out of business. He's been harassing her for years, and recently asked the town counsel in Erwin to shut her down by pressing criminal charges against her. There have been no formal charges filed but Shores is trying his damndest to destroy her. He is a loser.

Apparently Shores has friends in positions of power in Erwin, since a local sheriff told Miss Janet she may lose her children for exposing them to the behavior of thru-hikers. Think about that. Would you patronize the business of someone who made threats like that, who apparently would like to carry them out? Shores is a demented and sick individual. Please do not patronize his establishment. He deserves to be put out of business and more.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2003, 18:00
He's a drunken a**hole. He's hit on women I personally know and has driven hikers while drunk.

dionalaniz
07-21-2003, 18:22
man - i really was unaware of any of this stuff. I just saw it mentioned in wingfoot and thought it would be a convenient maildrop.

I'm not really sure what's up with all this, but I think i'll just skip the entire town of Erwin and just hump it hard to Damascus and use the money i saved to stay somewhere extra nice there.

Sparky!
07-24-2003, 20:35
Not to add fuel to the fire.... but... If you sit back and think that UJ turned MJ in and is having her investigated for exposing her children to "hikers".. one of his many pronged attacks per the MJ post. But isn't it ironic he would paint hikers as bad, drifting people who children should not be exposed to and then attempt to court them into his establishment... I don't know UJ from Adam but if he did do that, I think he has just sunk his own establishment. JMTCW (just my two cents worth )

dionalaniz
07-24-2003, 23:59
Sitting here in my house in Austin TX, i certainly don't have all the facts but there definitely seem to be some bad vibes surrounding UJ's place. But, my planned trip definitely needs one re-supply point before Damascus. So, i think i'll stop in at either Kinkora's or Laurel Creek's hostel off Dennis Cove Road.

gravityman
07-25-2003, 11:54
Bob People's is one of the BEST people you will meet on the trail. Definitely go there if you want the experience. You might even get a chance to do some trail maintence!

Gravity Man

dionalaniz
07-25-2003, 13:24
Actually, i just called Kinkora's and confirmed they will be open in late January, early February. They said I might not have much in the way of water services if everything is frozen up (i.e. no shower) but that's what i get for starting in winter! Laurel Crekk wasn't sure if they'd be open that early in the season. So, i plan to stay at Kinkora's.

chris
08-28-2003, 13:37
I thought I might add a strange story that I heard this summer about Uncle Johnny. A young woman that I hiked with for part of this summer (Glory Cummings) hiked the AT last year. She showed up at Uncle Johnny's and asked directions UJ for directions to Miss Janet's place. He then proceeded to give her a ride over.

I hear Baltimore Jack actually witnessed the arrival and could not believe what just occured. I had a good time when I stayed at Johnny's place in May of 02, but not everyone does. Don't send a maildrop to Erwin. There is a big grocery store in town, right across from the AYCE pizza place.

Jack Tarlin
08-28-2003, 14:10
This sure is a strange story, and I have no recollection of it. I have, however, personally witnessed Mr. Shores being extraordinarily rude to many hikers when he discovered they were planning to stay at or visit Miss Janet's; I've seen him curse people out and throw them off his property when he discovered they were guests of Janet's or contemplating staying there; I've seen him curse out HIS OWN guests when he saw them entering or exiting Janet's van after she provided them with rides to or from town.

In short, I've personally witnessed all this and more; I have NEVER witnessed or have no recall of the incident Chris mentions; I also hope that the next time he mentions me as part of a trail story or anecdote, that he checks with me first re. accuracy. If this anecdote is in fact true, I sure in hell don't remember it; in any case, it would've been quite awhile ago as I haven't set foot on the property since May of 2001 and have no future plans to do so; as I've said MANY times before, I have no doubt that many folks have had perfectly fine experiences and treatment there over the years, and some if fact still do so; however, the overall track record of the place is utterly deplorable; the facility generates more complaints and dismay from guests than ANYPLACE I've seen on the trail in over 16,000 miles of hiking; Mr. Shore's track record of rudeness and incivility is notorious in the A.T. community; his removal from the The Thru-Hiker's Companion was long overdue and entirely deserved and his continued listing in the Thru-Hiker's Handbook is shameful and merely demonstartes how out of touch that book's author is with the contemporary trail scene; lastly, I unequivocally do NOT suggest or recoommend that hikers patronize or suport this place until this situation changes.

chris
08-28-2003, 15:06
The story came straight from Glory. She mentionned that you were at Miss Janet's (not UJ's) when she arrived via Uncle Johnny's. Glory, of course, could very well be mistaken and, as Jack does not remember the incident, most likely was. I brought the story up because it was one of the strangest that I have heard about the Johnny-Janet feud, not because I thought it might smear Jack's well known stance on the lodging situation in Erwin. Then again, I like Jack's rants just like I enjoy Easy's. Please, keep them coming!

bearbag hanger
09-01-2003, 12:07
Miss Janet is a wonderful person, Uncle Johnny is a complete idiot. 1.3 miles past all the controversy is a great place for a mail drop, especially if you don't want to go into Erwin, - Nolichucky Expeditions. They have showers, hostel, a small gear shop. They don't cater to hikers as much (by the time hikers get to them, the hikers have everything they need), more to river people, but they are friendly enough.

mongo
09-01-2003, 16:40
Whatever you do don't miss out on Erwin. It is a lovely town...with nice people and a great little movie house. Miss Janet was great to me while I was there and so were the people. The UJ vs Miss Janet thing isn't like a war or anything. There are no buildings burning in the streets.

Erwin is great trail town if not a little spread out! Even if you stay at Uncle Johnny's you are still likely to love Erwin! However I can't speak about the chap as I never met him. I had just met BJ who suggested that Miss Janet's was better.

I don't think I have met a kinder or more helpful person than Miss Janet. She is so giving that I wondered sometimes how she has anything left to give. Her kids are wonderful young ladies who are also a joy to be around.;)

So in summary don't miss out on Erwin. It is great!

Mongo

chris
09-01-2003, 16:45
I think I should add that solely on the basis of having talked with Miss Janet at the Gathering last year, if I go through Erwin again, I will certainly stay at her place. Not because I disliked Uncle Johnny's place, but because I like Miss Janet and think she is the kind of person that makes a hike on the AT special. Staying at Johnny's is as special as a stay at a Motel 6.