PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Mag CDT survey contest

dickdurk
02-07-2007, 09:34
I've been wondering if anyone else on this list entered the contest opened up in the Jan. issue of Backpacker. It's not really much of a contest, but if it gets me a week or so on the CDT, I'm all for it.

The intent of the contest is to survey some of the more remote areas, I believe; so what I am working up to here is if anyone has insights on shuttling or other sort of infrastructure for getting to and from trailheads-the winners are supposed to provide their own transportation, more or less.

I admit it, I've gotten spoiled how the AT works:)

Michael

highway
02-07-2007, 10:40
My CDT infrastructure experience is characterized by it's almost complete absence thereof. I say almost because there must be at least some of it somewhere but in 10 years going I fail to have seen much at all. About the only mode of transportation is riding one of one's thumbs and pray. I must say, though, that I seldom have to wait long for a ride, standing alongside the road, whether that road be paved, gravel or just 2 deep ruts, with pack at my feet and smiling.:D

The only incidence of what AT hikers call trail magic becomes just a quick ride on the CDT,from the locals, who almost always are extremely friendly, though. On the AT one may go for a few hours without seeing another soul. On the CDT one often goes for days without seeing anyone. But that is part of it's appeal, isn't it? It's remoteness is special.

Spirit Walker
02-07-2007, 14:19
Since you'll be going in small groups, you will probably end up meeting in town or at the airport and getting a ride to the trail together. How difficult that is will depend on which section you end up hiking. As thruhikers, we usually hitched to and from the trail, but we also got shuttles from several motel owners, from local gear shop employees, from people working in the restaurants, etc. When you know where you are going to be hiking, ask again and we may be able to steer you to whoever helped us out. Some of the sections go right through town, which simplifies matters. You will just have to get from the nearest airport to the town closest to the trail. You might do that by renting a car at the airport and transporting the entire group to the trail, then returning the car a week later.

Footslogger
02-07-2007, 14:28
The intent of the contest is to survey some of the more remote areas, I believe; so what I am working up to here is if anyone has insights on shuttling or other sort of infrastructure for getting to and from trailheads-the winners are supposed to provide their own transportation, more or less.

I admit it, I've gotten spoiled how the AT works:)

Michael

=========================================

I live about 2.5 hours from the CDT road crossing (Rt 70) at Battle Pass near Encampment, WY. Pretty "remote" as road crossings go.

Is this one of the areas ??

'Slogger

Sly
02-07-2007, 14:34
Any trail kindness on the CDT could be called old school AT trail magic, it's usually quite spontaneous and not preplanned. It's there and it's rare.

Mags
02-07-2007, 14:40
THe CDT is starting to become better well marked, but it is no where near AT standards. I've followed flagged trail...had it turn to survey tape...then turn to nothing! That is when I let out a few choice words and backtrack or bushwhack. :)

The CDT is about as remote as you can get in the lower 48 esp. in MT. I went two or three times not seeing ANYONE for 2-3 days at a time. Since I hike about 25MPD, needless to say that is a loonnnnnnnnngg stretch of trail without seeing anyone.

I find the "Trail Magic" to be more spontaneous and heartfelt.

Few people know of the trail except MAYBE as a local trail.
When I do meet people out there? (Be it hunters, ATVers, RVers, horsepackers, etc. Yeah...people not hiking. Very few people acually hiking out there!) They were always nice. I scored gatorade, food, COFFEE! (yes!), and most importantly: a friendly smile, some good conversation and the good wishes of people. It all worked out...

But, as others mentioned, if you are going in groups, esp. as a sponsored project, getting out and back may not be as difficult.

dickdurk
02-07-2007, 20:10
Yeah, Boston, I think you have it exactly right. On the Application they seemed very interested in GPS experience, and wanted to know various body measurements.

About the survey thing: I use GPS all the time-two dimensionally, i.e. on the water. Is there a technique I don't know about, or, to get an accurate profile (up and down peaks) between waypoint distances, does one have to use one of those wheeled measuring thingys to get ...trail miles? I know GPS units (consumer level quality) are very poor at measuring altitude-that's why some have barometers on them.

Anyway, I think it would be a great time, I sure hope I get a spot. Like someone else suggested on this thread, perhaps getting a couple rent-a-wrecks for a week might be the most practicle way of dealing with remoteness-group should be able to handle that. Then again, logistic 'tails' have a way of spiraling out of control.

I wish I knew which areas were most in need of survey. I was assuming the southern portions, but perhaps not. I'd like to get some Quads and do some planning now, but that may be cabin fever-being in New Hampshire in zero degree weather-speaking <lol>

Michael

Sly
02-07-2007, 21:30
I believe part of the backpacker effort is to definitively "map" the entire CDT. Participants also get to try out new gear, for free, and presumably submit their opinions on the gear for marketing purposes. I don't know if backpacker is paying for food, supplies, transportation, and the like. Sounds like a good time to me.

Actually, the entire trail and many alternates are already mapped. Here's a sample of one out of 240 or so such maps available for free (or donation) on CD.

http://www.phlumf.com/cdt/mt62.gif

dickdurk
02-08-2007, 08:14
That's what I am talking, Sly. I especially like all the water showing on your map selection, I am not looking forward to carrying 3+days of water. I'll do it if I need to, though.

Boston: easy, Dude, I'm already out of my comfort zone :) I was in Olympic National Forest (Hoh rainforest) last year; I find it amazing Olympic was first transited in 1979. It's a big country...I want to see it all. On foot.

Michael

Spirit Walker
02-08-2007, 12:21
We never had to carry more than a day's worth of water. This isn't the Hayduke trail.

Sly
03-22-2007, 17:45
I've been picked for the mapping project! :D It's a section in the Gila that happens to coincide with the GET. Only problem is I plan on being there 2 weeks sooner than scheduled. I replied. and asked if they could work it out.

Skidsteer
03-22-2007, 17:54
I've been picked for the mapping project! :D It's a section in the Gila that happens to coincide with the GET. Only problem is I plan on being there 2 weeks sooner than scheduled. I replied. and asked if they could work it out.

Kludos, Sly.

I hope they work it out for you. Then you can tell us all about it when you get back!

dickdurk
03-22-2007, 18:01
Cool!!! I've been been keeping my summer open so I could have the best shot at working into whatever schedule Backpacker is on.

Spring has sprung (defined as most of the snow melted)here, though, and I am getting itchy feet :)

Sly
03-22-2007, 18:04
Kludos, Sly.

I hope they work it out for you. Then you can tell us all about it when you get back!

Thanks. I hope I make it that far on the GET. From a couple initial report recently it's one heck of a trail. Two section hikers bailed early. Of course, the recent heatwave in AZ didn't help. Thankfully, it's cooled down some. By the time I get to the Gila I should be well versed in map and compass and the use of GPS.

I may (or may not) keep a journal...

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?event_id=95

Mother's Finest
03-22-2007, 18:09
Hey Sly,

I just wanted to say this one time before you leave (not sure when that is)

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

peace
mf

dickdurk
05-11-2007, 20:19
Well, I got my spot, and it looks like it will be fairly contiguous to your section, Sly. leaving in a couple weeks for Coyote tank to Mangus Mtn. (a bit south of Pie town, NM). Looks like fun.