PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam Parking

Zynski10
02-07-2007, 12:05
I've been told that you can't park your car at Fontana Dam over night. If this being the case, and the desire of my friends and I be to Hike from New Found gap to Fontana Dam, does anyone know of a parking area near by that a vehicle can left for a few days?? :confused:

Survivor Dave
02-07-2007, 12:32
Check with the Hike Inn Hostel(not to be cofused with the Len Foote Hike-Inn at Amicalola). I know they shuttle. I assume they might have some spots for a small fee.

Maguro

I've been told that you can't park your car at Fontana Dam over night. If this being the case, and the desire of my friends and I be to Hike from New Found gap to Fontana Dam, does anyone know of a parking area near by that a vehicle can left for a few days?? :confused:

Tabasco
02-07-2007, 12:53
I have parked at Fontana Dam for 3 to 4 days at a time during section hikes with no problems at all. Where did you hear that you could not park there?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-07-2007, 12:55
There used to be a lot near the 'Fontana Hilton' shelter where you could park overnight - Parking in the limited-space parking lot next to the Dam's Vistor Center overnight has never been allowed.

Tabasco
02-07-2007, 13:17
I beg to differ Dinos. I have parked there on 3 seperate occasions for between 2 and 4 nights. I go to the Visitor's Center and the on site Police Dept, if someone is there, to let them know I am parking and for how long. Always been told, "Have a great Hike!"

Zynski10
02-07-2007, 13:31
To be honest, an Officer at the Backcountry Office told me that no overnight parking was allowed at the Dam, but I know for a fact a few times i've been there i've seen cars parked for multiple days. AND now that you say you have several times before, just as long as you have notifed the visitors center, i feel more optimistic...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-07-2007, 13:33
I stand corrected - there used to be signs in the vistor center lot directing you to park at the other lot if you planned to leave your car for several days.

Gray Blazer
02-07-2007, 13:44
I stand corrected - there used to be signs in the vistor center lot directing you to park at the other lot if you planned to leave your car for several days.Will you be biting your own toes??:-?

NINpigNIN
02-07-2007, 14:08
I parked my rental car there at the visitor center for several days in June of '06 while I hiked from Clingmans to Fontana. The nice old guy at the visitor's center said, "I've been keeping an eye on it for you." No word about not being allowed to park there.

If they don't want you to park there why not just continue across the bridge and park at the trailhead itself. There is ample parking along the side of the road there and I saw several cars parked there.

NINpigNIN
02-07-2007, 14:09
If they don't want you to park there why not just continue across the bridge and park at the trailhead itself.

D'oh. I mean across the dam, not the bridge.

Boat Drinks
02-07-2007, 14:34
D'oh. I mean across the dam, not the bridge.

I was wondering the same thing, there is a place to park at the bottom of Shuckstack right?

Lone Wolf
02-07-2007, 14:35
parking there is a no-no.

Zynski10
02-07-2007, 15:02
Well i guess the question is now, has anyone had trouble personally or know someonw who has had trouble with parking at Fontana Dam?

1azarus
02-07-2007, 15:57
I left my car (CT plates and all...) right next to the visitor center (oh, what a lonely place in the winter) from January 10th to the 15th or so (2007 -- like now)-- with a note on my dashboard. No issues. Did stop in at the police station on my way out to report an abandoned tent on the AT two or three miles south... response was, politely, I just look after the Dam... I did also see some cars parked in a large lot just to the south (also on the AT) at the boat launching site.

Max Power
02-14-2007, 15:24
Upper parking area of the Dam is your best bet. Informing the Center of your vehicle is a nice gesture.
It's more public so I think it is better then by the trail head across the dam.