PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new backpack

jimthehiker2006
02-07-2007, 17:10
Hello Everyone,
Well it time for the old Kelty to retire, seem many miles. I need some thoughts on a replacement. Most of my hiking is extened so need to carry a bit, my old pack was an external and I liked it. Is the internal really that much better? Let me know you thoughts.

Jim:-?

Jim Adams
02-07-2007, 18:20
I have been using internal frames for 15 years and they are very handy, secure, and convienient. I have owned and used a kelty, dana, TNF, jansport, camptrails, gregory and osprey but none have been as comfortable as my external from 1990!
geek

gold bond
02-07-2007, 18:38
I just bought a Osprey Cresent 85 and I love it! It has its pros and cons though. Pro's...molded hip belt that can carry alot of weight,up to 65lbs. The hip belt is sturdy and stays tight. molded shoulder straps and they are stout! holds up to 5100 cubes but has compression straps for smaller loads. The hydration pouch is removable and has a strap so it can be used for side treks. Cons...the pack weighs 7 lbs. not alot of outside pockets like the Kelty. Check it out...you may be surprised.

Cuffs
02-07-2007, 19:23
~~~ what was that noise?~~~ a can of worms opening up! I'll second the Osprey packs, but I have the Atmos 50... love it!!

Earl Grey
02-07-2007, 19:26
Definetly the Atmos 50, I have one its been great.

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2007, 19:32
Jim:

There is no "better" in this case. It's ultimately a matter of personal preference. Most hikers today prefer internals, as they hug the body better, allow more flexibility, provide better hip support, don't bounce around as much, and are better in tight spots.

But lots of folks prefer the older-style external frames, which many find more comfortable, and especially cooler.

Like a lot of older hikers, I switched over to an internal with some reluctance, but in retrospect, I'm glad I did. I've been wearing an Osprey for over a decade now and wouldn't think of changing it.

But you should stick to what works for you. I'd visit a good outfitter, give yourself plenty of time, and try half a dozen packs on, fully weighted, of both styles. And make sure you're helped by someone who knows what they're doing. It might take a few hours, but the only way to figure out if you like how something fits and feels is to try it out yourself.

Cuffs
02-07-2007, 19:33
Well said Jack!

hopefulhiker
02-07-2007, 19:40
I am an older hiker and I liked the new Luxury Lite External Frame. It also uses a front pack too..It relieved spine compression and was very convenient... you might check it out at Luxurylite.com

stuco
02-07-2007, 19:43
Well said Jack!

+1

Internals are lighter, hotter, carry less weight well(generally), are better for balance.

rafe
02-07-2007, 21:24
Hello, Jim. I can tell you that it has taken me years and years to "upgrade" from my nearly 20 year old Camp Trails external frame pack. I'm still not 100% certain that the "upgrade" has in fact been accomplished. Along the way I've tried four different internal frame packs; one from Mountainsmith, one from EMS, and two so far from Granite Gear. I'm hoping that the second Granite Gear pack (Nimbus Ozone) will do the trick.

I really can't advise you on this matter, because it's been a huge and strange issue for me. It's hard to explain how that cheap ($45) Camp Trails pack just suited my body better than those three internal-frame packs, each of which was considerably more expensive. Big mystery. :confused:

Bravo
02-07-2007, 22:02
LuxuryLite is expensive but I really like it. I always liked external though. I think internal packs look cooler but externals always felt better to me. The LuxuryLite puts no weight on the shoulders and spine which is pretty nice. I do a lot of training hikes with a 40-50lb weight vest. Having no weight on the shoulders with the LL is a dream come true.

Ewker
02-07-2007, 22:04
anyone own the REI UL 60 backpack. Comments pros and cons

Moxie00
02-07-2007, 23:01
I personally don't feel any one brand is better than any other. We are all different shapes and sizes. We all hike differently. We all carry different loads. I have had packs from Mountainsmith, LL Bean, Gergory, First Light, (an excellent New Zealand pack) and Kelty. Each one had it's good points and it's bad ones. The idea is not to look at the brand but rather decide what you need for size and features. Then look at all packs that fit your needs regardless of manufacture. Try them on with a load, walk around the store with them and go outside and climb a few hills. Some outfitters will even loan you a demo pack or rent one for a shake down hike. When you find the pack best for you, you will know it. Don't purchase on price. If the price difference is $50 between a pack that is perfect and a pack that is pretty good spend the money. If you keep the pack 10 years you are talking less than the cost of lunch each year for the pack that fit best. I've rushed into a pack and bought on brand name alone. Doon't make that mistake, try them all out and get the one that fits your body and your needs.

gold bond
02-08-2007, 10:52
Well stated moxieoo and Jack....Go to a outfitter that you trust, get measured and see what options you have. Whether it be in price or selection. I hate buying on line. If I can't try it on or see it first that scares me.I have gone to an outfitter and gotten measured and tried on what I liked then when I knew what model I was wanting then I shopped it around on line. I have been "burnt" in the past by buying either brand name or just by going on what one person has said. You've got to go with your instincts. If it does not feel good in the store it won't feel any better on the trail! I was wrong for up playing the Osprey without saying all this first.

TurkeyBacon
02-08-2007, 10:56
So how convinced are you that you pack contents are as small as they need to be? A lot of people started off with 5xxx cu in packs and had to downsize on the trail. So only spend good money if you realy are convinced that you pack is its final size.
There is a new generation of externals... I cant recomend any as I am an internal frame user.
TB

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 11:07
I have to wonder what "the state of the art" would be regarding externals had as much money been spent on improving them over the last 20 years as has been spent on internal pack design and development. Market forces dictated otherwise, but I don't think what's currently available in externals, even the ultralights, reflects the best that can be done.

rafe
02-08-2007, 11:22
I have to wonder what "the state of the art" would be regarding externals had as much money been spent on improving them over the last 20 years as has been spent on internal pack design and development. Market forces dictated otherwise, but I don't think what's currently available in externals, even the ultralights, reflects the best that can be done.

I'll second all that. If there were a reasonably sturdy external-frame pack with a load capacity of, say, 3500 cubic inches and a total weight of 2.5 lbs or less, I'd buy it in a flash.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 12:08
I am seriously considering getting out the saw and Tig welder, having a go at one of my old Kelty and/or Camp Trails frames, and making a silnylon bag or fitting up stuff sacks and tie points, etc. Hard to beat the suspension on the old Kelty radial(199? Super Tioga Radial Anniv), but I'd like to lose a little metal and much bag weight. A redesign of the way the hip belt mounts would be required, but I think I can figure it out and still allow it to float somewhat like the original while getting rid of some of the excess metal and the radial's "shelf".

The old Camp Trails Horizon pack I have is much lighter and the frame is very light, but the shoulder straps and hipbelt are pretty bad probably from a combination of use and age. This was my Scout pack and then also used extensively from 197? through 199? until replaced by the Kelty - plus oxygen/ozone and temperature have taken their toll. This might be a better first project sacrifice - the Kelty is still very serviceable as it sits.

With either the biggest challenge will be actually getting around to doing it. Right now I'm more focused on home projects and those dreaded IRS forms.

TurkeyBacon
02-08-2007, 13:19
"If there were a reasonably sturdy external-frame pack with a load capacity of, say, 3500 cubic inches and a total weight of 2.5 lbs or less, I'd buy it in a flash."

Instead of taking over this thread, I posted this idea in the make your own forum...
TB

RuffianPoet
02-08-2007, 13:20
anyone own the REI UL 60 backpack. Comments pros and cons

I own both the UL 45 and the UL 60. I really like them both. Both packs have the linked shoulder straps behind the hipbelt,which I find extremely comfortable and nicely balanced. The UL60 has mesh pockets that allow access to my water bottles (the 45's mesh pockets are too high for access). I like the big shovel pocket on the 60 too. I'm really happy with both packs and would definitely recommend them for comfort, weight, and price.

Complicated
02-11-2007, 13:56
I love my Vapor Trail, I bought it for the light weight but the exceptional design makes it stand out. The well-positioned stretchy pockets, the extendable collar top, the cinching water bladder pocket, the comfy fit and the overall simplicity come to mind.

neo
02-11-2007, 15:00
Hello Everyone,
Well it time for the old Kelty to retire, seem many miles. I need some thoughts on a replacement. Most of my hiking is extened so need to carry a bit, my old pack was an external and I liked it. Is the internal really that much better? Let me know you thoughts.

Jim:-?

:D i wish i still had my golite gust:cool: neo