PDA

View Full Version : Light, breathable boots for March nobo?

BirchBark
02-07-2007, 18:33
I'm wondering if my light, breathable Vasques will suit me during the potenitally cold/wet conditions of a mid-March nobo. I can't imagine locking my feet in non-breathable, waterproof encasements- nightmarish visions of trenchfoot abound.

Almost ready to set off.

Jim Adams
02-07-2007, 18:54
Are you talking about the Vasque Breeze? Very nice lightweight boots. You will have your wet days but they will also dry quickly.
geek

Hangman
02-07-2007, 19:17
I also really like the Vasque Breeze and will thru with them starting march 26th. ncie light boot!

BirchBark
02-07-2007, 19:18
Yes, mine are the Breeze model. I love them, but was concerned about cold wetfoot. So I might as well stick with them , you say. Great, $150 cheaper that way.

Jim Adams
02-07-2007, 19:24
BirchBark,
I am using the Breeze on my PTC thru this year and Sundowners on my warm-up on the AT in early March. I really like both.
Hope that you didn't pay $150 for the Breeze! REI has them on sale right now for $89.
geek

TurkeyBacon
02-08-2007, 10:40
as long as you have dry socks (like socks stored in a ziplock bag only for camp) and camp shoes/sandals you should be fine. It will be a little miserable in the morning after a rain and freeze, but the AT is all about suffering, get used to it. I cant wear G-tex or shoes either, so I feel your pain. If the vasque don't work, I love my garmont veagans with out the G-tex.

khaynie
02-08-2007, 11:08
One of the most miserable feelings I ever experienced in all my days of hiking was when I trudged through the Smokies in 6 inches of snow in nothing more than a pair of tennis shoes ~ aka sneakers for my Northern friends. (I hiked the entire trail in trail-runners) My feet felt as if they were going to fall off - it sucked real bad. I would have given my 1st born for a pair of Gore-tex boots at the time ~ anything to protect my feet from the slushy/frozen snow.

That said, I am strictly a boot hiker when snow could be in the forecast and a non-gore-tex tennis shoe hiker when it's not.

rafe
02-08-2007, 11:16
Used Vasque Breeze on my last section. Light, airy and comfy -- but wet. Five minutes walking in dewy grass and they're soaked through. They're on sale right now at EMS, by the way...