PDA

View Full Version : down sleep mats

Biloxi
02-07-2007, 21:26
hey, I just noticed that outdoor research has a down sleeping pad...does anyone know anything about these?? they talk em up pretty good on the site...2.5in thick under 2lbs r-value between 5 and 8..kinda expensive , but would they be worth it..any one with 1st hand knowledge please let me know...thanks

stuco
02-07-2007, 21:31
I don't know that's pretty heavy.

slimsimon
02-08-2007, 09:01
If you are planning to use on the AT, I would use their Air only mat or SynMat. Both will be lighter than the Downmat(and less expensive!).

The AirMat is ultra lightweight but with no R-value. The SynMat has R-value but will add to weight and bulk.

Biloxi
02-08-2007, 09:46
well actually the down was lighter than a large prolite, and lighter than lots of the mats I have seen..I couldnt find the picture of the syn mat at the time it was not available..and the air one had no r-value as you stated...why do you say it would be no use for the AT???

chicote
02-08-2007, 10:45
Those mats I believe are Exped mats. They are suppossed to be exceptional. Although expensive. Probably similar in comfort to the Big Agnes Air Core or the Insulmat Max Thermo. I have the Insulmat version and love it.

HTH

saimyoji
02-08-2007, 11:47
Recently acquired the Insulmat MaxliteThermo....very nice: very comfy, good insulation, and just over 1lb. Not down though.

peanuts
02-08-2007, 12:02
if it is the exped, its a great mat. comfy and warm. it makes the perfect insulator for my hammock:)

Biloxi
02-08-2007, 12:05
it says that the ''7'' is 2.5inches thick? so wouldnt the down compress? the thermarest prolite 4 long is I believe 2lbs or a tad more and that was what I was gonna get..but the exped mat is 1.12lbs and an inch thicker..and for 40.$ more seems worth it ..if it works..I was hopeing someone has one and can tell me how they perform..and yes it is for AT use..I know I can find ''lighter'' and ''cheaper''..but I am more interested in ''comfort'' and ''quality..anyone..anyone???

Biloxi
02-08-2007, 12:08
also I will be useing it in either a ''contrail'', ''cloudburst'' or a ''double rainbow''..not sure just yet which...but nice to know it works for hammocks as well...for a later trek

peanuts
02-08-2007, 13:35
also I will be useing it in either a ''contrail'', ''cloudburst'' or a ''double rainbow''..not sure just yet which...but nice to know it works for hammocks as well...for a later trek
just make sure you don't inflate too much, to use in the hammock!

rswanson
02-08-2007, 19:22
it says that the ''7'' is 2.5inches thick? so wouldnt the down compress? the thermarest prolite 4 long is I believe 2lbs or a tad more and that was what I was gonna get..but the exped mat is 1.12lbs and an inch thicker..and for 40.$ more seems worth it ..if it works..I was hopeing someone has one and can tell me how they perform..and yes it is for AT use..I know I can find ''lighter'' and ''cheaper''..but I am more interested in ''comfort'' and ''quality..anyone..anyone???
The down doesn't compress. The pad is filled with down insulation but not stuffed with it. You inflate the pad by mouth or a small pump (doubles as the mat's stuff sack, I believe). The down filling is simply to take up some space in the mat and give it insulatory properties against conductive heat loss. Think of the pad more like a pool float than a fluffy down jacket.

As for the comfort level of these type of pads (Big Agnes, Pacific Outdoor, Exped), they provide more cushioning than 1" or 1.5" self inflating pads and much more than closed-cell foam pads. I find my Pacific Outdoor Max Thermo more comfortable but a tad heavy and not as warm when compared to my self-inflaters or closed cell foamies. The Exped mats are supposed to do better at insulating than the Big Agnes or Pacific Outdoor insulated blow-up pads (which contain a small amount of synthetic insulation) but I have no direct experience using the down air mats, so I can't say how well they'll function at lower temps. I know that for my Max Thermo, I get cold in the lower 30's and have to add a thin closed-cell foam pad on top. Usually, I don't want to carry the extra bulk and just use a 3/4 length self-inflater.