PDA

View Full Version : Another Rockies Ruck Reminder

Mags
02-07-2007, 21:38
Hi all! Another reminder for this low key get together in Leadville, CO (Feb 23rd - 25th)

The original details: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/message/111

(The backcountry.net link is no longer active)

Hope everyone is getting ready for the Ruck!

At this point, if you haven't already, you may want to consider joining the Yahoo group if you are in "Read only" mode. This group is how the central planning is going to take place!

The "schedule" is very loose, but here is the basic idea:

Friday evening: Meet, greet and eat! POD and Disco will be showing their SoBO CDT 2006 documentary!
You can see sneak preview clips at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQ3Djx5g9k

Sat Morning: Breakfast.

Last year some of us went skiing and snowshoeing. I'd like to do the same again this year. There is a place in town that rents winter toys.

Terry, myself and others also have snowshoes we plan on letting people borrow.

Sat afternoon: Pot luck lunch. Bring enough food to share with three other people. Usually not a problem with hikers. :)
There is a Safeway in town for those who would rather pick something up.

Sat Afternoon: Ms. 42, fresh off her WFR course (and AT thru-hike!) has offered to do a workshop on first aid (her schedule permitting) How cool is that? Of course
the hostel is plenty big so there can multiple slideshows, talks and just hanging out going on. Or go through your pack! Or more fun in the outdoors!
Or maybe a nap? :) http://snipurl.com/17ois

Really, it is a loose get together!

Sat night: Dinner...and more slides/talking/wine drinking (mmm..wine!)

Sun: Breakfast..."so long for now" and maybe another ski/snowshoe!

If you have idea, please post it.

Have a show? Bring it! There is a huge TV/DVD setup. Another TV/DVD downstairs and plenty of space to spread out.

Have some gear you want us to check out? Want to have your pack checked out? Bring it on by!

Suggestions are always helpful, too. Ken suggested nametags this year. I think that works well.

Only about two weeks to go! Woo hoo!

Footslogger
02-07-2007, 21:45
Looking forward to seeing the gang in Leadville !!

'Slogger

Sly
02-07-2007, 22:37
I had my reservations at the hostel and was all set to attend but I have too much to do here before heading out West. Y'all have a great time.

Mags, although I'll be in NM/AZ earlier, I'll probably see you early June.

Mags
02-07-2007, 22:56
. Mags, although I'll be in NM/AZ earlier, I'll probably see you early June.

Sounds like a plan!

I'll have to carbo load you up with macaroni and sausage. All with a homemade "gravy" of course. :) (My traditional meal for hikers staying with me post or pre trail!)

Sly
02-07-2007, 23:39
Sounds like a plan!

I'll have to carbo load you up with macaroni and sausage. All with a homemade "gravy" of course. :) (My traditional meal for hikers staying with me post or pre trail!)

LOL... sounds good to me. Grazie!

freefall
02-08-2007, 00:34
Anyone heading to the Rockies Ruck from/ through Denver? Looking for a ride- willing to split gas.

PM/ email me or call @(720)5064675.

Thanks!!

Footslogger
02-08-2007, 09:54
We're headed there from Laramie Wyoming and have a seat or two extra. Not sure if we can get away early enough on Friday but most likely we'll head down early Saturday AM.

'Slogger

Footslogger
02-24-2007, 12:48
Just got home after trying to head down to the Rockies Ruck from Laramie. All roads are closed in all directions leading out of Laramie due to snow and winds and we were turned away by State Highway Patrol.

Called down to the Leadville Hostel and explained our predicament to Mags and Wild Bill (owner of the hostel). About 15 hikers there so far but Mags said that many others were in our same situation.

So ...here we sit. Have the car packed with x-country skis, snow shoes and lots of food for the weekend and now about all we could do would be to drive around Laramie. Guess I'll start unpacking :(

Hate it when this happens !! Oh well, if anyone down at the Ruck tunes into Whiteblaze all I can say is ...we gave it our best !!

My mother used to say ..."when all your plans turn to dust ...VACUUM !!"

Getting out the Hoover ...

'Slogger and BadAss Turtle

Sly
02-24-2007, 12:52
Footslogger that sucks. We can commiserate together. :(