PDA

View Full Version : the end of time

mweinstone
02-08-2007, 08:43
could whiteblaze be a gathering point for survivors in the end? do long distance hikers have an advantage in a world void of dollars and full of empty tanks? yes we do. and i for one am not going to sit by without some planning. i decree from this day forth that if the end of our way of life should be thrust apon us, we will all try to migrate to damascus and specifically the place. there we will learn new ways to survive and start up a shine based economy and elect civil leaders and from this new seat of power we will send out decrees like,....shelters are firewood and,............tame deer are game. any takers?

1azarus
02-08-2007, 08:51
will our civil leaders have term limits?... hello, matthewski.

Newb
02-08-2007, 08:59
Will there be beer?

superman
02-08-2007, 09:26
I have a friend who is serious about this topic. He has attempted to be prepared for every contingency he can think of. The problem is that no matter how you expect it will happen or what it will be like it is more likely to be something you never thought of. In my humble opinion the advantage that thru hikers have is that they have learned to deal with the present, learned to adapt to the situation and continue toward a goal with less than others might think possible. On the other hand I've heard some people say that they consider the AT the easiest of the major trails. Personally I'm not sure that that would matter so long as the lessons are learned.
This is just a hypothetical exercise....right.

highway
02-08-2007, 10:33
I have a friend who is serious about this topic. He has attempted to be prepared for every contingency he can think of. The problem is that no matter how you expect it will happen or what it will be like it is more likely to be something you never thought of. In my humble opinion the advantage that thru hikers have is that they have learned to deal with the present, learned to adapt to the situation and continue toward a goal with less than others might think possible. On the other hand I've heard some people say that they consider the AT the easiest of the major trails. Personally I'm not sure that that would matter so long as the lessons are learned.
This is just a hypothetical exercise....right.

Well.....Yes....Unless that prophesy does come to pass directly. Otherwise...No!;)

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 10:39
could whiteblaze be a gathering point for survivors in the end?

Which end? Have you been reading "The Stand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand)"? Or that other work of fiction, the Book of Revelation?

do long distance hikers have an advantage in a world void of dollars and full of empty tanks? yes we do.?

No, you don't. Not a big one anyway. Hiking doesn't produce food. Hunting gathering will not be productive if everyone is doing it. Initially the military/police/armed citizens will have the advantage, but ultimately those who can raise/produce food, the farmers, will quickly become the most powerful class.

and i for one am not going to sit by without some planning. i decree from this day forth that if the end of our way of life should be thrust apon us, we will all try to migrate to damascus and specifically the place. there we will learn new ways to survive and start up a shine based economy and elect civil leaders and from this new seat of power we will send out decrees like,....shelters are firewood and,............tame deer are game. any takers?

Migrate to--you mean invade Damascus in the event of a catastrophe? LW and friends will put a cap in your ass. Elect civil leaders and send out decrees? Decrees?!!! ROFLMAO

You want to plan? Think law and order will break down to the point that it's man vs man? Move to a rural area. Learn how to raise crops, livestock etc. Learn how to defend your homestead from people trying to invade it(like those people going to Damascus). Small arms (automatic weapons would be a plus) and several thousand rounds of ammunition is a minimum. Explosive ordinance would be an even better deterrent.

Here's my plan. I just don't worry about such foolishness.

SalParadise
02-08-2007, 10:50
could whiteblaze be a gathering point for survivors in the end?

wait, so society and technology has crumbled, but the Internet is still up?

Newb
02-08-2007, 10:55
It's official. This thread is now the most ludicrous thread on WhiteBlaze.

Everyone knows that during the "end time" all hikers will be bodily taken to Katahdin for a final all you can eat barbecue and gear swap in an event know as the "hiker rapture".

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 10:57
It's official. This thread is now the most ludicrous thread on WhiteBlaze.

Everyone knows that during the "end time" all hikers will be bodily taken to Katahdin for a final all you can eat barbecue and gear swap in an event know as the "hiker rapture".

Will there be beer THERE?:D

Sorry I stole that line.:o :rolleyes:

neighbor dave
02-08-2007, 10:57
lyrics ;
this was never meant to be,man's supposed to dwell in harmony.
but because of selfish ways, man creates things to shorten his days,
causeing discomfort and strife,what a life,what a life, causeing discomfort and strife.
these are "signs of the end of time"
great song

Ewker
02-08-2007, 11:20
wait, so society and technology has crumbled, but the Internet is still up?

yes the internet is still up!! But only in Damascus at Baja Burrito where the gas from all the hikers keeps it running :eek:

woodsy
02-08-2007, 12:06
This link http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11 has many people discussing similar issues as 'the end of time" only they call it SHTF
(***** hit the fan)
I think 4Eyed Buzzard hit the nail on the head about living rural

ASUGrad
02-08-2007, 12:23
When Y2K comes, you'll be glad you prepared.

What? Why wasn't I told?

Seriously, our greatest threat is disease at this point. Spanish Flu had a devastating effect on the world in 1918. Granted, we have better technology now. But Superbugs are an ever present danger.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 12:47
This link http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11 has many people discussing similar issues as 'the end of time" only they call it SHTF
(***** hit the fan)
I think 4Eyed Buzzard hit the nail on the head about living rural

Ultimately I don't think much of it including rural survival strategy would do a lot of good. Even rural self-sufficiency is dependent upon law and order being maintained to prevent the stealing of crops and livestock. One man stands just don't work. Civil war and anarchy will be avoided by any and all means necessary. Marshall law will be established from day one and will govern EVERY aspect of life. People will NOT be free to move about. Blah, blah, blah.

But more realistically, it just ain't gonna happen anyway. And though the survivalist types don't like hearing this, even in a worldwide catastrophe, law and order will be established, and it will prevail. It won't be pretty, it won't be fair, but the return to uncivilized(as in ungoverned) life simply isn't going to happen.

superman
02-08-2007, 12:56
OK, theoretically speaking, the important thing is to determine what things will still be with you after civilization as we know it ends. Such as:
1. The internet in one place with spam still pouring in
2. Beer
3. Bureaucracy w/edicts
4. TP (my proposal)
5. Beer (need more beer)

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 13:03
We are going to need LOTS of beer. Pray that the superbugs do not affect the hops and barley crops.

woodsy
02-08-2007, 13:13
Ultimately I don't think much of it including rural survival strategy would do a lot of good. Even rural self-sufficiency is dependent upon law and order being maintained to prevent the stealing of crops and livestock. One man stands just don't work. Civil war and anarchy will be avoided by any and all means necessary. Marshall law will be established from day one and will govern EVERY aspect of life. People will NOT be free to move about. Blah, blah, blah.

But more realistically, it just ain't gonna happen anyway. And though the survivalist types don't like hearing this, even in a worldwide catastrophe, law and order will be established, and it will prevail. It won't be pretty, it won't be fair, but the return to uncivilized(as in ungoverned) life simply isn't going to happen.

You mean law and order like they had in New Orleans after Katrina hit?:rolleyes:
I respectfully disagree with said law and order:)

LEGS
02-08-2007, 14:26
could whiteblaze be a gathering point for survivors in the end? do long distance hikers have an advantage in a world void of dollars and full of empty tanks? yes we do. and i for one am not going to sit by without some planning. i decree from this day forth that if the end of our way of life should be thrust apon us, we will all try to migrate to damascus and specifically the place. there we will learn new ways to survive and start up a shine based economy and elect civil leaders and from this new seat of power we will send out decrees like,....shelters are firewood and,............tame deer are game. any takers?

Why do you always mention Damascus and "shine" in the same sentence or frame of what you are saying. For your information "shine" is illegal and constantly talking about it may be getting someone in trouble, or cause an intensive search of an area. So why dont you use some sense and keep your thoughts to yourself about "shine". And incase you didnt know it there are numerous places through the country that are famous for shine, Damascus not being one of them. Damascus has many things it is famous for,and shine is not one of them. In the future I"m hoping you will refrain from discussing your illegal pleasures on an open forum. Thank You ,Matty.

Mother's Finest
02-08-2007, 14:43
what the heck are you talking about Legs?

Do you think they are going to cordon off Damascus proper to search for the illegal shine distribution centers? Come on brother.

Actually, matty is the head of the Northern Shine Distribution Council, aka NSDC. He is in charge of procurement and distribution to all outlets from Maine to North of the Mason Dixon Line. He handles it all via the internet. No shine ever touches his hands. He makes millions and re-distributes the profits to the homeless here in Philadelphia.

peace
mf

Gray Blazer
02-08-2007, 14:47

Do you think they are going to cordon off Damascus proper to search for the illegal shine distribution centers? Come on brother.

Actually, matty is the head of the Northern Shine Distribution Council, aka NSDC. He is in charge of procurement and distribution to all outlets from Maine to North of the Mason Dixon Line. He handles it all via the internet. No shine ever touches his hands. He makes millions and re-distributes the profits to the homeless here in Philadelphia.

peace
mfMatty, make sure you pay the taxes on that illegal shine. Remember, that's how they got Al Capone.

LEGS
02-08-2007, 14:48

peace
mf

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! GET EM MATTY!!!!!

mweinstone
02-08-2007, 16:39
i do what legs tells me. thats all i know.

RockyBob
02-08-2007, 17:23

If we migrate to Damascus, does that mean we have to elect Lone Wolf as our leader? If yes, then there will be lots of beer :banana

mweinstone
02-08-2007, 17:24
when the end comes you wont call me quacko freak poop dork fart scam bird brain dizz wizz fool tool . youll call me o greatest exaulted sultan of success please grant us to gaze apon your holy poop and breath your farts most merciful and greatest of all humans . matthewski please instruct us how to even do anything in this new world of scary stuff you predicted o honerable leader of the people.we were fools to laugh at your radiation pills. now look at our horrible disfigurement o untouched one. show us life matthewski! heal us o king and monarch! we knew not our folly when we spoke of your heatless existance jokingly. now we chill and you are comfy as a suggle bunny. help us o heater of hope.you said we should all use fourty below sleepingbags in thr summer and we rebuked you. but when the poles shifted last week we all froze and now the bodys are rotting in the streets just as you pretold o grammerless one. we had grammer and spelling and you had none. but look at us now! we perish and mathewski flurishes! how could we have been so foolhearty? lead us matthewski! lead us! and i will . after having takin all your wives and food and gold!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bravo
02-08-2007, 17:28
when the end comes you wont call me quacko freak poop dork fart scam bird brain dizz wizz fool tool . youll call me o greatest exaulted sultan of success please grant us to gaze apon your holy poop and breath your farts most merciful and greatest of all humans . matthewski please instruct us how to even do anything in this new world of scary stuff you predicted o honerable leader of the people.we were fools to laugh at your radiation pills. now look at our horrible disfigurement o untouched one. show us life matthewski! heal us o king and monarch! we knew not our folly when we spoke of your heatless existance jokingly. now we chill and you are comfy as a suggle bunny. help us o heater of hope.you said we should all use fourty below sleepingbags in thr summer and we rebuked you. but when the poles shifted last week we all froze and now the bodys are rotting in the streets just as you pretold o grammerless one. we had grammer and spelling and you had none. but look at us now! we perish and mathewski flurishes! how could we have been so foolhearty? lead us matthewski! lead us! and i will . after having takin all your wives and food and gold!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!! Is it time for an intervention???:D

Frosty
02-08-2007, 18:14
WOW!!! Is it time for an intervention???:DI think it may be a little late. We're beyond the switching to decaf and listening to classical music stage. We are approaching white-jackets-with-extra-long-sleeves-that-tie-in-back-and-padded-room territory. :D

mweinstone
02-08-2007, 18:24
frosty gave me white blaze. hes responsible.

Mother's Finest
02-08-2007, 18:27
Think about the squirrels and that pumpkin matt. You could do them a lot of good.

I just put a fresh cake of some suet mixture in my squirrel cage feeder.

peace
mf

Gray Blazer
02-08-2007, 20:34
when the end comes you wont call me quacko freak poop dork fart scam bird brain dizz wizz fool tool . youll call me o greatest exaulted sultan of success please grant us to gaze apon your holy poop and breath your farts most merciful and greatest of all humans . matthewski please instruct us how to even do anything in this new world of scary stuff you predicted o honerable leader of the people.we were fools to laugh at your radiation pills. now look at our horrible disfigurement o untouched one. show us life matthewski! heal us o king and monarch! we knew not our folly when we spoke of your heatless existance jokingly. now we chill and you are comfy as a suggle bunny. help us o heater of hope.you said we should all use fourty below sleepingbags in thr summer and we rebuked you. but when the poles shifted last week we all froze and now the bodys are rotting in the streets just as you pretold o grammerless one. we had grammer and spelling and you had none. but look at us now! we perish and mathewski flurishes! how could we have been so foolhearty? lead us matthewski! lead us! and i will . after having takin all your wives and food and gold!!!!!!!!!!!!What a difference a week makes. Last week you told us we could have all your crap. I'll keep my grammar, you keep yours.:D

NICKTHEGREEK
02-08-2007, 20:52

Put down the crack pipe and back away from the computer very slowly.

smokymtnsteve
02-08-2007, 20:53
When Y2K comes, you'll be glad you prepared.

What? Why wasn't I told?

Seriously, our greatest threat is disease at this point. Spanish Flu had a devastating effect on the world in 1918. Granted, we have better technology now. But Superbugs are an ever present danger.

actually disease and superbugs may be "our saviour" as a species...if we have a large die off of human population,,,then maybe that would be a good thing, DARWIN will survive.

Jester2000
02-08-2007, 21:41
. youll call me o greatest exaulted sultan of success please grant us to gaze apon your holy poop and breath your farts most merciful and greatest of all humans .

Well now you're just quoting what I said to you at the Ruck.

Skidsteer
02-08-2007, 21:44
Uh oh. I smell jealous deities. Time to find a rock to hide under.

mweinstone
02-08-2007, 21:49
everyone knows camping gear is the single most important matirial possesions to have being the max you can run with. oh and did i mention ailens are comming to clean up our space junk before it colides and spins out into space making space travel dangerous? there gonna pick up our trash. thats why im a trasher. cause im one of them! not.

STEVEM
02-08-2007, 21:58
everyone knows camping gear is the single most important matirial possesions to have being the max you can run with. oh and did i mention ailens are comming to clean up our space junk before it colides and spins out into space making space travel dangerous? there gonna pick up our trash. thats why im a trasher. cause im one of them! not.

Matt, I know at least one of your fellow Pennsylvanians who shares your concern about the end times. I don't know if he owns any camping gear, but he does have this (http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_95.aspx) plus about 1000 rounds of ammo.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2007, 22:31
everyone knows camping gear is the single most important matirial possesions to have being the max you can run with. oh and did i mention ailens are comming...

Camping gear is without a doubt the single most important material possession. Well, right after a good tin foil hat anyway.

bfitz
02-09-2007, 02:34
I love those post apocalypse movies, they're like a hobby of mine...

Dune Warriors (watching right now...)
Warlords of the 21st century
Escape from New York/L.A.
Delicatessan
Damnation Alley
Mad Max Movies
Raiders of the Sun
Tank Girl
Wheels of Fire
Cyborg
Deathrace 2000
The Boy and His Dog
Defcon 4
Future kill
Exterminators of the Year 3000
Steel Dawn
Judge Dredd
After the Fall of New York
Rollerball

Any others?

bfitz
02-09-2007, 02:35
The Postman and Waterworld!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-09-2007, 09:10
In the event of a collapse of the world as we know it, I suggest gathering up in the mountains of North GA --- the temp is not normally really cold for extended periods nor hot enough to cause death. The area has long growing season for crops and enough kudzu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu)to support an army. Game is fairly plentiful as is water. Oh, and the country boys and girls there know a thing or two about making 'shine and growing bebo.

4eyedbuzzard
02-09-2007, 10:48
I love those post apocalypse movies, they're like a hobby of mine...

Dune Warriors (watching right now...)
Warlords of the 21st century
Escape from New York/L.A.
Delicatessan
Damnation Alley
Mad Max Movies
Raiders of the Sun
Tank Girl
Wheels of Fire
Cyborg
Deathrace 2000
The Boy and His Dog
Defcon 4
Future kill
Exterminators of the Year 3000
Steel Dawn
Judge Dredd
After the Fall of New York
Rollerball

Any others?

The Stand
The Day After
The Day After Tomorrow
Waterworld

Demolition Man - my favorite

LeninaHuxley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000113/): I have, in fact, perused some newsreels in the Schwartzenegger Library, and the time that you took that car...
JohnSpartan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000230/): Hold it. The Schwartzenegger Library?
LeninaHuxley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000113/): Yes. The Schwartzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor when you...
JohnSpartan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000230/): Stop! He was President?
LeninaHuxley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000113/): Yes! Even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment which states...
JohnSpartan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000230/): I don't wanna know. President.

Arnold Schwarzenegger biographer George Butler once recalled a conversation he had in a taxi with the actress Candice Bergen after a wildly successful 1976 bodybuilding show (entitled "Articulate Muscle: The Body as Art") at the Whitney Museum. Bergen insisted that bodybuilding, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, had peaked. "I disagree," Butler replied. "It's here to stay, and Arnold is going to be the Governor of California one day." Whereupon Bergen, hooting with laughter, sarcastically retorted: "And one day Ronald Reagan will be President!"

Movies are scary:eek: :rolleyes:

woodsy
02-09-2007, 10:54
In the event of a collapse of the world as we know it, I suggest gathering up in the mountains of North GA --- the temp is not normally really cold for extended periods nor hot enough to cause death. The area has long growing season for crops and enough kudzu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu)to support an army. Game is fairly plentiful as is water. Oh, and the country boys and girls there know a thing or two about making 'shine and growing bebo.

"Country Folk Can Survive" I forget who sang that song

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 10:54
"Country Folk Can Survive" I forget who sang that song

hank williams jr.

Mother's Finest
02-09-2007, 11:39
Opec is drawing down production. The Persians are producing nuclear weapons. China is in global economic ascendancy.

The United States Stands Alone.

This brings to mind a movie starring some of Hollywoods Hottest, Swayze, Sheen, even C. Thomas Howell...

peace
mf

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 11:40
Opec is drawing down production. The Persians are producing nuclear weapons. China is in global economic ascendancy.

The United States Stands Alone.

This brings to mind a movie starring some of Hollywoods Hottest, Swayze, Sheen, even C. Thomas Howell...

peace
mf

what a wonderful time to start a family!

Ewker
02-09-2007, 11:56
http://www.backwoodshome.com/

superman
02-09-2007, 12:23
Yup it might happen some day...how ever:

Pretty much as far back as you choose to look people have been predicting the end of some part or all of civilization. History is full of some pretty iffy times. Change is the constant.

On the other hand the Egyptian priests told Plato that civilization had risen and fallen five times...maybe it's our turn.

The best thing to do is keep an extra case of beer just in case. It probably won't go to waste either way.

LeeF
02-09-2007, 12:35
Has anyone mastered making popcorn over an open fire yet? We must have our priorities covered first. I hate burned popcorn.

neo
02-09-2007, 12:37
:D are you serious dude:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 12:39
Has anyone mastered making popcorn over an open fire yet? We must have our priorities covered first. I hate burned popcorn.

on my first thru-hike i carried a couple of jiffy pops out of most towns. popped them over my peak1 stove. would drive hikers nuts. i wouldn't share either.

neo
02-09-2007, 12:40
on my first thru-hike i carried a couple of jiffy pops out of most towns. popped them over my peak1 stove. would drive hikers nuts. i wouldn't share either.

:D thats the spirit:cool: neo

bfitz
02-09-2007, 13:13
Night of the Comet
Day of the Triffids

Ewker
02-09-2007, 13:32
Day of the Triffids

I haven't seen that in yrs

mweinstone
02-09-2007, 14:06
all die now. mostly bags of polluted water. lights in sand dim. we kill kirk. kirk destroy lights in sand.

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 17:28
mf

What does the end of the world have to do with The Outsiders?

hawkeye
02-09-2007, 18:09
Red Dawn. Beware of the Cubans.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-09-2007, 18:10
all die now. mostly bags of polluted water. lights in sand dim. we kill kirk. kirk destroy lights in sand.Has anyone sent you a big ol' dino hug today?.... I didn't think so.... :sun

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 18:13
Yeah, you see, I was joking. Check my name.

Red Dawn is one of the greatest movies of all time, and I think the initial post on it was remiss in not mentioning the women -- Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey.

But it is important to note, and I say this because I know there's gonna be a debate, that Red Dawn, technically, is not considered a "Patrick Swayze Movie," as it was an ensemble piece. The correct answer to the debate of "Best Swayze Movie" is, of course, Roadhouse.

Heater
02-09-2007, 18:38
Yeah, you see, I was joking. Check my name.

Red Dawn is one of the greatest movies of all time, and I think the initial post on it was remiss in not mentioning the women -- Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey.

But it is important to note, and I say this because I know there's gonna be a debate, that Red Dawn, technically, is not considered a "Patrick Swayze Movie," as it was an ensemble piece. The correct answer to the debate of "Best Swayze Movie" is, of course, Roadhouse.

I liked Point Break.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2007, 18:39
soylent green

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 19:02
I liked Point Break.

Point Break?!?!?!? Are you mental???

There's no way criminal-surfbum Swayze beats out philosopher-bouncer Swayze.

Now, if you want to say that ex-football player/FBI agent Keanu did his best work in Point break, I can get behind you.

Otherwise you're crazy like Swayze.

mambo_tango
02-09-2007, 19:08
Patrick Swayze was also in Donnie Darko which has a countdown to the end of the world. He played a self-help guru with a kiddie porn dungeon.

Jester2000
02-09-2007, 19:11
Swayze is so deep.

bfitz
02-09-2007, 19:40
"Steel Dawn" is the best Patrick Swayze movie ever, and was mentioned in my original post.

bfitz
02-09-2007, 19:43
Although Red Dawn was awesome too. All Swayze's "Dawn" movies are great!

MarcnNJ
02-09-2007, 19:55
How about Youngblood? He takes a hell of a cross-check from Racki

mweinstone
02-09-2007, 20:05
waterworld.

STEVEM
02-10-2007, 00:10
Matthew, You already know how it will end. You see it every day. You breath it, you taste it. It devours your city, it taunts you. In the end it will consume everything and everybody. Its not Nemesis (the death star), a giant asteroid, or a black hole. In the end the world will be consumed by mold.

Mold is a clever enemy it hides in dark places behind walls only challenging its host after its evil work is done. It attacks the soul, first robbing its victims of spelling, grammar and punctuation. Only IRS agents are immune. (even mold has standards).

Escape while there's still time!

hillsidedigger
02-10-2007, 09:30
I doubt time will end within the lifetime of anyone posting here or even the Earth as we know it.

Still, civilization and the grossly overcrowded numbers of people in the world might be knocked way down shortly or within a few decades for any or a combination of many reasons.

Rural landowners will be in a better position to survive than with urban and suburban people but alliances with friends and neighbors may be essential as society returns to feudalism.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-10-2007, 13:01
::: moma dino brings Matthewski a steaming bowl of veggie soup :::

Frosty
02-10-2007, 14:27
I
Rural landowners will be in a better position to survive than with urban and suburban people but alliances with friends and neighbors may be essential as society returns to feudalism.Alliances for sure. I remember back in the 70's with the oil crisis there was lots of talk about this. One guy at work was bragging about how he put up veggies and raised livestock (I lived in Indiana at the time) so he could survive for years in the event of societal breakdown. Another guy said that was cool, he would need people to do that because he and about 20 friends were stockpiling guns and ammunition to take what they needed. I think he might have been joking, but it surely will not be easy to hold onto what you have if anything like this comes to pass.

STEVEM
02-11-2007, 14:38
Alliances for sure. I remember back in the 70's with the oil crisis there was lots of talk about this. One guy at work was bragging about how he put up veggies and raised livestock (I lived in Indiana at the time) so he could survive for years in the event of societal breakdown. Another guy said that was cool, he would need people to do that because he and about 20 friends were stockpiling guns and ammunition to take what they needed. I think he might have been joking, but it surely will not be easy to hold onto what you have if anything like this comes to pass.

I worked with a really smart guy during the Y2K panic. He was sure the World was going to end at midnight 12/31/99. He stocked his home with enough provisions and firewood for at least a year. And warned us continually to do the same.

He also fabricated his own generator system for his home which he installed in his garage along with (2) 550 gallon gasoline storage tanks. He built the generator from parts and materials manufactured prior to 1970 which he salvaged from junkyards all over the Northeast. He believed that any component built after 1970 could fail due to the possibility of computers being used in the manufacturing process. He also collected spare parts just in case.

Anyway, not being an engineer, he didn't properly plan the gear reduction between the engine and the generator or the vibration isolation for the entire system. The net result was that, although it generated electricity it ran so loudly and at such a high RPM that it nearly shook his house apart. It probable cost him three times what a new Honda generator was going for at the time.

The same guy was also a "gun nut". he owned about a hundred weapons (including the monster I mentioned in post #35). He purchased that one specifically for Y2K. He also stocked up on ammo in anticipation of the Panic. His position was that in order to be a responsible gun owner it was necessary to have no less than 1000 rounds of ammo on hand at all times for every gun you own.

We all go back to work on 1/2/00 (including this guy). Obviously, nothing happened and he never mentioned it. We were all laughing our a** off though he didn't realize it. He's probably still eating the pork and beans from his stockpile.

OrionTheRanger
02-11-2007, 16:17
You are basically talking Y2K here. Computers fail, paper money is now worth toilet paper, cars will soon be onyl shelter, it is the Battle of Battles.

I dont mean a Battle of One army between another, but a Battle to survive. The weak and old will soon be gone. Those acustomed to the life of luxary will dissapear cough Paris Hiltion cough It will be people like us who survive. People who go outdoors, who hunt, who fish, who farm. We will last longer then most people. But I am not going to migrate to some strange place to set up a little society of AT thru-hikers.

PArt of me wants this dya to come, a day where man will relixe the way he was ment to live, and learn to work together and help each other.

hawkeye
02-12-2007, 11:17
What would protect you better during nuclear fall-out, Hennessy hammock or Tarptent? Less weight would mean I could get downwind faster!

hopefulhiker
02-12-2007, 11:27
After the CO2 Global warming bomb comes, I think people will be carrying around bottles of clean air and O2 like they carry around purified water now....

rafe
02-12-2007, 12:23
The weak and old will soon be gone.

As spoken by a 14-year old. :rolleyes: Be careful what you wish for, son.

smokymtnsteve
02-12-2007, 17:19
You are basically talking Y2K here. Computers fail, paper money is now worth toilet paper, cars will soon be onyl shelter, it is the Battle of Battles.

I dont mean a Battle of One army between another, but a Battle to survive. The weak and old will soon be gone. Those acustomed to the life of luxary will dissapear cough Paris Hiltion cough It will be people like us who survive. People who go outdoors, who hunt, who fish, who farm. We will last longer then most people. But I am not going to migrate to some strange place to set up a little society of AT thru-hikers.

PArt of me wants this dya to come, a day where man will relixe the way he was ment to live, and learn to work together and help each other.

PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY

"When the cities are gone...and all the ruckus has died away, when sunflowers push up through the concrete and asphalt of forgotten interstate freeways, when the Kremlin and the Pentagon are turned into nursing homes for generals, presidents and other such ****heads, when the glass-aluminum skyscraper tombs of Phoenix, Arizona barely show above the sand dunes, why then, why then, why then by God maybe freemen and wildwomen on horses, free women and wild men can roam the sagebrush canyonlands in freedom--goddamit! Herding the feral cattle into box canyons, and gorge on bloody meat and bleeding ****ing internal organs, and dance all night to the music of fiddles! Banjos! Steel guitars! by the light of the reborn moon!--by God--Yes!"

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Bravo
02-12-2007, 17:22

Just wondering. Who do you think would go first the strong and the young???:-?

smokymtnsteve
02-12-2007, 17:24
age and treachery

beats youth and vigor

everytime

Bravo
02-12-2007, 17:29
age and treachery

beats youth and vigor

everytime

No not everytime. Age has nothing to do with it. Experience is king. There's a lot of 10 year old girls that can last longer on some city streets than a lot of grown men.

The original point that I think OTR was trying to make was in relation to health though. I could be wrong but that's how I read it. Kinda like when there's a case of bird flu or other nasty illnesses going around. It's generally the very young(infant/toddler), old(65+), and weak that go down.

That's all I'm saying there old timer.:D

smokymtnsteve
02-12-2007, 17:36
reason why I tried to teach my son treachery at an early age,:eek:

and by gawd I thunk the young man understands

Bravo
02-12-2007, 17:39
reason why I tried to teach my son treachery at an early age,:eek:

and by gawd I thunk the young man understands

Yeah and what he doesn't he will. It's kinda funny how the older I get the smarter my dad gets too. When I was 14-17 he was dumb as hell though. I sure am glad he came around. LOL.:D

smokymtnsteve
02-12-2007, 17:42
well dat's true about some folks father..the older I git the more I realize that my old man was and is a complete idiot.

rafe
02-12-2007, 17:43
Just wondering. Who do you think would go first the strong and the young???:-?

My point being that a 14 year old still needs a few years more help from his elders. He may, at present, believe that he is all-knowing. He lacks the wisdom to understand that he's not.

Bravo
02-12-2007, 17:49
My point being that a 14 year old still needs a few years more help from his elders. He may, at present, believe that he is all-knowing. He lacks the wisdom to understand that he's not.

Gotcha. Guess I was just playing devil's advocate.:)

leeki pole
02-12-2007, 17:56
Red Dawn. Beware of the Cubans.
Wolverines!!!! :)

mweinstone
02-12-2007, 18:08
let me asplains sumpin here before we go stupid.live by the sword die by the sword. the survivors must not need much more than a rat and some seepage to brew per day. we will be in the sewers. in the citys. human fleash will be a delicasy. we will live off the dead bodys of the battles for stockpiles that will rage till the last bullet is spent.you must posses only a single smelly rotten loin cloth and no possesions but a spoon.to slurp the bloody gruel cooked in fires by hords of underdwellers. you must live solitair with no connections to others who would eventually be driven to feast on you if they only learned of your hiding place. speaking will be forgotten. noise of any kind would eco in the sewerlands and bring marauders looking to distill you for hydro. and finnaly in about 15 quick years, the fights would have stopped and the sewerdwellers would rise and reclaim and never eat each other again. except lone wolf. who aquired a taste for the stuff. but we make him eat only shelter weinies so its no problem.

bfitz
02-12-2007, 22:25
Only the C.H.U.D will live in the sewers like that.

bfitz
02-12-2007, 22:25
....Global warming bomb............GWB?

Mother's Finest
02-13-2007, 11:36
C. Thomas Howell was such a badass in Red Dawn. Firing from the hip in the face of a chopper attack is the way to do it.

I always thought Patrickc Swayze's character was kind of a douche. That stupid do-rag looking thing he wore on his head did not scream out LEADER.

Peace
mf

OrionTheRanger
02-13-2007, 13:15

I didnt mean physically weak.

age and treachery

beats youth and vigor

everytime

When I said old, i dont think anyone here falls into the category I ment by old. I ment the type of old people who are living off medication and and in a nursing home.

I never claimed I knew it all. Tell me one time when I did or implied I did. And who said that I would do all this alone, or with other people just my age? Unlike many kids these days, I still have a Mom and a Dad, and that Dad is an expert in the outdoors.

lol, All-knowing, I wish...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-13-2007, 13:20
When I said old, i dont think anyone here falls into the category I ment by old. I ment the type of old people who are living off medication and and in a nursing home.Welcome to WB, Orion. Several of the people here are former thrus or section hikers who are no longer able to hike due to illness and infirmity.... and are old enough to be your great-grandparents.

OrionTheRanger
02-13-2007, 13:23
Thanx, well met Frolicking Dinosaurs.

No one here strikes me as in their late 70's or early 80's. Perhaps born in the late 70's or early 80's.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-13-2007, 13:36
Orion, you will find people who did their thruhikes during the 1970's and 80's here. Model-T (who thru'ed again last year!) is in his mid-80's and Weary is in his late 70's. The male dino is up there as well. Female dinos are southern ladies who won't discuss their age or weight in polite company :D

rafe
02-13-2007, 14:44
Orion, you'll have to forgive this old geezer for chuckling when a young 'un such as yourself opines about the fates of "the weak and old". You appear to be a bright young lad but suffer (as is common for those of your age) from a syndrome I refer to as the arrogance of youth.

smokymtnsteve
02-13-2007, 16:22
ORION ..I've been HIV+ longer than U have even been alive

Mother's Finest
02-13-2007, 16:30
Steve,

it's gotta be that Matanuska Thunderf%$k that is keeping you going. Nothing but the best out of the North Country.

peace
mf

smokymtnsteve
02-13-2007, 16:34
Steve,

it's gotta be that Matanuska Thunderf%$k that is keeping you going. Nothing but the best out of the North Country.

peace
mf

always demand

http://www.alaskagrown.org/

Heater
02-13-2007, 17:18
Point Break?!?!?!? Are you mental???

There's no way criminal-surfbum Swayze beats out philosopher-bouncer Swayze.

Now, if you want to say that ex-football player/FBI agent Keanu did his best work in Point break, I can get behind you.

Otherwise you're crazy like Swayze.

I liked the movie.

Patrick Swayze is a goofy sumbyotch no matter what role he plays, kinda like Sean Penn or Keanu Reeves.